Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

[quote name='darthbudge']That is actually really cool Rolento.

Do have like a more Wallpaper friendly version of that?[/QUOTE]

:lol: I could make one possibly... give me a bit and I'll see what I can do...

[quote name='Kendal']So I just beat this game again for my I forget how many play throughs. I already want to run through it again. It hasn't left my PS3 for another game. Anyone else having a hard time putting this down?[/quote]

Just finished my 9th play through last night and got the Bee rank which was the last I needed. MGS4 is now 100% done for me, and I can finally put it down and start on back log. . .

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think some of you may enjoy this...

did it entirely myself using references and doing it in my own style:

if you've seen my other work you'll know it tends to be more on the cute and non-serious side of things.[/quote]

The gun looks like it's made of play dough. I do like it though. What program are you doing this in? Is this vector art?

[quote name='espy605']The gun looks like it's made of play dough. I do like it though. What program are you doing this in? Is this vector art?[/QUOTE]

:lol: the playdough gun was intentional.

yes it's vector art. i used adobe illustrator for this. I'm using it as my primary tool for all this stuff...

...and as requested here's a rough wallpaper friendly version at 1024x768

snekwp.png

EDIT: apparently it's bigger than I said... but it works...

Just jumped on the PS3 bandwagon (brand new for $250, through eBay & Live cashback, thanks to CAG.com) and am having trouble hooking up my bluetooth for ingame play. BT does hook up w/my PS3, but not ingame. Am I missing a step somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='jovherye']Just jumped on the PS3 bandwagon (brand new for $250, through eBay & Live cashback, thanks to CAG.com) and am having trouble hooking up my bluetooth for ingame play. BT does hook up w/my PS3, but not ingame. Am I missing a step somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Go to Player Options in the MGO menu.

I did. Went to Audio, but the part about the Codec is locked. Should I be able to switch this so I can listen to it thru my BT?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow, over three million copies of MGS4 sold world wide in just two weeks. Not bad at all, considering the PS3's install base.[/quote]

I've seen both 3 mill sold and 3 mill shipped. I'm more willing to believe that's a shipped number, but that's still impressive.

[quote name='jovherye']I did. Went to Audio, but the part about the Codec is locked. Should I be able to switch this so I can listen to it thru my BT?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it should be unlocked if your PS3 recognizes your BT device.

[quote name='jovherye']I did. Went to Audio, but the part about the Codec is locked. Should I be able to switch this so I can listen to it thru my BT?[/quote]

You might have to tap one of the buttons on your headset to reconnect it with the PS3, in case it lost the connection while the game loaded or something. Once you have it paired, you can even turn on the headset mid-game and do this and it should connect.

Did anyone use a headset during the single player? I thought it was a cool touch, maybe because I discovered it during
the part in act 3 where you're trailing the resistance member.
I turned it off shortly after, though.

Would you guys recommend buying the Metal Gear Solid Essentials and playing the originals before playing MGS4, even if I already have a backlog of games? The GCO offer is about to expire and if I am going to buy the set, now seems to be a good time. I just don't want to buy MGS4 and not enjoy it because I have no clue what is going on.

[quote name='Darklighter']Would you guys recommend buying the Metal Gear Solid Essentials and playing the originals before playing MGS4, even if I already have a backlog of games? The GCO offer is about to expire and if I am going to buy the set, now seems to be a good time. I just don't want to buy MGS4 and not enjoy it because I have no clue what is going on.[/quote]

I can barely recommend MGS4 to someone who hasn't played at least the first two, so yes. Without playing them, you might enjoy the gameplay but you'll be completely lost during the cutscenes. It's also fun catching all the little references to the older games, and seeing how the series has progressed. Plus MGS1-3 are just great games on their own. I strongly suggest you get the collection first.

[quote name='Darklighter']Would you guys recommend buying the Metal Gear Solid Essentials and playing the originals before playing MGS4, even if I already have a backlog of games? The GCO offer is about to expire and if I am going to buy the set, now seems to be a good time. I just don't want to buy MGS4 and not enjoy it because I have no clue what is going on.[/quote]

Definitely give MGS1-3 a whirl before playing MGS4. If you don't you'll have no clue wtf is going on in MGS4.

[quote name='metaly']I can barely recommend MGS4 to someone who hasn't played at least the first two, so yes. Without playing them, you might enjoy the gameplay but you'll be completely lost during the cutscenes. It's also fun catching all the little references to the older games, and seeing how the series has progressed. Plus MGS1-3 are just great games on their own. I strongly suggest you get the collection first.[/quote]

Seriously. Not only will the story not make any sense (well, it still might not make any sense after you play 1-3), but you will certainly miss out on a ton of references and callbacks.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Seriously. Not only will the story not make any sense (well, it still might not make any sense after you play 1-3), but you will certainly miss out on a ton of references and callbacks.[/quote]

Only if you don't pay attention.

I don't know, I let my friend start up a game and he never had played any of the MGS games. He loves it, with a little bit of guiding of course (controls mainly). I asked him if he understood what they were talking about in the cutscenes and he said yes. Though he is only on the first act. Also I told him he could skip the cutscenes and he was like "why? Those are the best part!" Which I figure most people would think odd coming from a new player.

It was interesting seeing how he adepted to sneaking. My other friend who I had shown the game previously (also new to MGS) was like "F-that, I want to shoot something!" He went guns blazing, and even on the easy setting I could see he regretted his play style. He walked in the room while I was showing my other friend the game and he was warning him that he better use stealth. They both seemed to enjoy sneaking and felt it was pretty intense, which wasn't what they were expecting.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']:lol: the playdough gun was intentional.

yes it's vector art. i used adobe illustrator for this. I'm using it as my primary tool for all this stuff...

...and as requested here's a rough wallpaper friendly version at 1024x768

snekwp.png

EDIT: apparently it's bigger than I said... but it works...[/quote]

Thanks for my new background :bouncy:

[quote name='Darklighter']Would you guys recommend buying the Metal Gear Solid Essentials and playing the originals before playing MGS4, even if I already have a backlog of games? The GCO offer is about to expire and if I am going to buy the set, now seems to be a good time. I just don't want to buy MGS4 and not enjoy it because I have no clue what is going on.[/QUOTE]

I say yes. Plus if you don't like it it'll save you money.

I just starting playing Act IV this afternoon:

I love the little "blast-from-the-past" MGS1 dream sequence and how you travel though the same facility. I got to the boss battle but had to quit for awhile.

I love this game and I didnt really play MGS 1-3 any significant amount of time to get any understanding of the underlying story. I am still enjoying the cutscense and am loving the gameplay. I am pretty well into Act 2 at this point.

However, I am considering picking up a ps2 with the Essentials collection when I get done with MGS4.

[quote name='ivanctorres']I love this game and I didnt really play MGS 1-3 any significant amount of time to get any understanding of the underlying story. I am still enjoying the cutscense and am loving the gameplay. I am pretty well into Act 2 at this point.

However, I am considering picking up a ps2 with the Essentials collection when I get done with MGS4.[/quote]

I doubt anyone would argue that you can't enjoy the game without playing any of the previous titles but you can get a lot more enjoyment out of it if you're familiar with the game's history and storyline.

[quote name='Chitown021']I doubt anyone would argue that you can enjoy the game without playing any of the previous titles but you can get a lot more enjoyment out of it if you're familiar with the game's history and storyline.[/quote]

Indeed. The game is great, so one can certainly enjoy it no matter what. But you're missing a lot of stuff if you aren't already familiar with the other games.

Metal Gear the Movie?! (Joystiq)

Despite the cinematic-quality of the MGS games and how much I would like to see a movie, if you think about it, a movie just won't do it justice. There's too much backstory, too much interaction, too many scenes... Just too many things you can only experience and appreciate through a video game. The movie would need MAJOR cuts to fit in well and a good cleaning of the dialogue.

The best one to start with, in my opinion is Metal Gear Solid 3. Not only is it the first in the timeline, but I think it had a simpler story to tell and plays the most important role in all of the series. This is one I think any layman can understand.

That said, I hope there will be plans to do graphic novels for MGS3 and 4. Although they are a retelling of the games, the first graphic novel (available on the PSP as Metal Gear Solid Digital Novel) was fun. I'm waiting for the complete edition of the second one.

[quote name='imacgod']Metal Gear the Movie?! (Joystiq)

Despite the cinematic-quality of the MGS games and how much I would like to see a movie, if you think about it, a movie just won't do it justice. There's too much backstory, too much interaction, too many scenes... Just too many things you can only experience and appreciate through a video game. The movie would need MAJOR cuts to fit in well and a good cleaning of the dialogue.

The best one to start with, in my opinion is Metal Gear Solid 3. Not only is it the first in the timeline, but I think it had a simpler story to tell and plays the most important role in all of the series. This is one I think any layman can understand.

That said, I hope there will be plans to do graphic novels for MGS3 and 4. Although they are a retelling of the games, the first graphic novel (available on the PSP as Metal Gear Solid Digital Novel) was fun. I'm waiting for the complete edition of the second one.[/quote]

Meh, if they want to do it they can. People say the same things with books going to the big screen. You're not going to see the same thing as you imagined in the book, or played in the game but you'll get to see the characters in motion.

I personally think they should maybe think about CGI or something similar. Oh... And make a Metal Gear Liquid game too (young Liquid Snake out and about). :)

[quote name='imacgod']Metal Gear the Movie?! (Joystiq)

That said, I hope there will be plans to do graphic novels for MGS3 and 4. Although they are a retelling of the games, the first graphic novel (available on the PSP as Metal Gear Solid Digital Novel) was fun. I'm waiting for the complete edition of the second one.[/QUOTE]
I disagree with playing MGS3 before MGS1. Sure it's chronologically in order but that's like watching Phantom Menace before watching Episode IV. Play it in sequence. MGS1->4. Play it like how Kojima-san intended. I've been re-playing MGS1 and it's AMAZING how it's all connecting.

before this was news in the gametrailers interviews he obviously showed interest in writing the script when asked about it. I say he's the best guy to do so seeing as he knows more than most screenwriters can even think about.

LOL! I though Otocon's "change the disc" message was funny... I just took down Crying Wolf. That battle was much easier than I thought. I just set up camp under the truck and waited for her to come to me.

[quote name='Chitown021']
LOL! I though Otocon's "change the disc" message was funny... I just took down Crying Wolf. That battle was much easier than I thought. I just set up camp under the truck and waited for her to come to me.
[/quote]

Lol. Same thing I did. Took a while but I pretty much took no damage and got to take potshots at the frogs.

Just to let you know Thongsy, my friend and I had no clue that the sneaking game we were in was going to turn out like that. Can't say I want to play with that host under those conditions anytime soon.

[/QUOTE]

She really isn't that difficult once you figure it out. I learned a couple of things on my Solid Normal no kill and no alert run. Apparently you can shoot the grenades attached to her legs to stun her. If you use the night vision on the Solid Eye, you can see they glow like enemies. Another thing I noticed is that the wind direction actually matters for this part of the game. If she smells you, she'll come after you. You want to be down wind to hit her.

I think going for the no kill and no alert here was pretty easy and probably a good strategy for anyone. The FROGS get annoying on alert so might as well kill or put them to sleep. Stealth was kind of important for this fight.

[quote name='suko_32']Just to let you know Thongsy, my friend and I had no clue that the sneaking game we were in was going to turn out like that. Can't say I want to play with that host under those conditions anytime soon.[/quote]

What happened? :whistle2:s

[quote name='Thongsy']It was all everybody on red vs Snake and the M.K. II. So 14 players against two, good in concept, bad in reality.[/quote]

Isn't that why you wanted to limit it to 7 people or so?

[quote name='espy605']Isn't that why you wanted to limit it to 7 people or so?[/quote]

Heh. Yea, I don't know. I tried, to like this Sneaking mode, but it's just no fun to me. In a full game Snake has like a one percent chance to win. It only works with like a cap of 10-12 people where Snake has a fighting chance, unless you're Bav than you'll win it all the time with only that many people. ;)

[quote name='Thongsy']Heh. Yea, I don't know. I tried, to like this Sneaking mode, but it's just no fun to me. In a full game Snake has like a one percent chance to win. It only works with like a cap of 10-12 people where Snake has a fighting chance, unless you're Bav than you'll win it all the time with only that many people. ;)[/quote]

Hehe. \\:D/

I just wish in those games that I had a Mk. II to help. Primetime was my only helpful Mk. II, so far, but we still lost. Spawn right in the middle of a firefight? YUCK!

Anyway, fun time again. Enjoyed sniping the other team with my Mosin in that last match. They didn't find me until the last minute or so. I saw the RPG's flying and killing my stunned targets. That was real funny. :lol:

Also, please don't kill after activating the SOP Destabs!

So someone in the clan asked me if I wanted to play and yes I did, but had no idea how to get us both in the same game. How do you manage to get in the same game as players in the clan roster?

Damn, I'm having trouble beating Vamp b/c I suck at the CQC portion of the game. I can't seem to grab him. I just keep performing combos that knock him down. I have hardly used CQC during the game so I suck at it.

Damn, I'm having trouble beating Vamp b/c I suck at the CQC portion of the game. I can't seem to grab him. I just keep performing combos that knock him down. I have hardly used CQC during the game so I suck at it.
[/quote]

Instead of tapping away at R1 hold it down until you see the CQC animation start. Of course you have to be close enough.

you also need to make sure that you aren't holding the analog stick in ANY direction. it needs to be centered when you perform to cqc him.

[quote name='cdietschrun']So someone in the clan asked me if I wanted to play and yes I did, but had no idea how to get us both in the same game. How do you manage to get in the same game as players in the clan roster?[/quote]

one person has to join a game and then the other can look at their name on the clan roster and choose to follow them to the game they're in. of course this doesn't work if the room is full...

[quote name='bigl523']you also need to make sure that you aren't holding the analog stick in ANY direction. it needs to be centered when you perform to cqc him.[/quote]

I bet that's my problem since you use the left stick to move and right stick for the camera.

bread's done
Back