Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

This game is hands down one of the best games I have played. Though some of the sceans were a little to long. I am for sure going back through agian. But this time on the hardest difficulty. I must say that game is damn near impossible to go anywhere on the level.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']took me a while to find, but look in the upper left... it says survey in a blind spot.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, that's a pretty small spot.

How do you get stealth while you are Snake? I checked the inventory and couldn't find the device but I've seen other people who were cloaked.

>>>Or wait, is that how I look to other players with I use the Octocamo and have a high camo rating? That is a bit disorienting if so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure. I haven't played MGO in so long. I think one problem with MGO is that it's on the MGS4 disc, and if there were a way to play it just from the HDD without the disc (MGO was free after all, according to Konami) I think I'd play it a bit more.

I also think they're about to drop the price of the Gene Expansion, at least from what I can gather.

[quote name='KingBroly']Not sure. I haven't played MGO in so long. I think one problem with MGO is that it's on the MGS4 disc, and if there were a way to play it just from the HDD without the disc (MGO was free after all, according to Konami) I think I'd play it a bit more.[/QUOTE]
Definitely. If I didn't have to wait through MGS4 startup, then pick the menu option which brings me to a whole new startup process, I'd play once in a while.

Also, for MGO, you should be able to go back to MGS4 at anytime. But no, it's back, back, back, back, wait for menu to pop up, hit start, MGS4. Grr...

If they want us to have to disc, make it so we have to have it to update the game, nothing more.

It would be nice if they'd just release a launcher to go straight to MGO if you had the disc in. It wouldn't even have to be a standalone version. I think I timed it once and from PS3 bootup to getting logged in as my character took about five minutes.

That's definitely not what's keeping me from playing MGO, though.

[quote name='metaly']It would be nice if they'd just release a launcher to go straight to MGO if you had the disc in. It wouldn't even have to be a standalone version. I think I timed it once and from PS3 bootup to getting logged in as my character took about five minutes.

That's definitely not what's keeping me from playing MGO, though.[/quote]

It's one of the reasons keeping me from still playing. Than I would have to try and find a host with games I like and that takes another five to ten minutes. I really wanted to love MGO, so disappointed with this.

[quote name='Thongsy']It's one of the reasons keeping me from still playing. Than I would have to try and find a host with games I like and that takes another five to ten minutes. I really wanted to love MGO, so disappointed with this.[/quote]

Oh yeah, forgot to add in the time spend staring at the matching screen, most of the time without results. And I don't even bother trying to find a Base game. :cry: I think the last time I was on there was literally one guy playing it.

Two newly releases passwords:
To unlock the Patriot weapon, input password "pkhhnwhsjt" at the "EXTRA" screen that becomes accessible once you've cleared the game. Likewise, the Thor .45 can be yours via password "tshsniammr".

MGO is seperate from MGS4.

Awesome news on the Patriot gun being available with that password.

Oh, and new music: Battle

I've never played a Metal Gear game before but when I picked up my PS3 MGS4 was an obvious choice....i started recently and I am at the part
where you meet up with rat patrol and the frogs (or whatever they called them) bum rush you and you are all lined up at the door to start fighting them.
I would guess that the other metal gear games had all the cheesy shit in them and it is catching me off guard....i feel like the controls are shallow and there is no fucking way i should be able to equip a barrel....and when i have it equipped and someone runs into it, it shouldn't just disappear

so far i am interested still but annoyingly interested..im guessing it gets WAY better so I will stick it out

anyone else feel like this? I'm definatley not trying to shit on this game, I just feel like I am missing something...maybe I should have played the others first....

[quote name='Malik112099']I've never played a Metal Gear game before but when I picked up my PS3 MGS4 was an obvious choice....i started recently and I am at the part
where you meet up with rat patrol and the frogs (or whatever they called them) bum rush you and you are all lined up at the door to start fighting them.
I would guess that the other metal gear games had all the cheesy shit in them and it is catching me off guard....i feel like the controls are shallow and there is no fucking way i should be able to equip a barrel....and when i have it equipped and someone runs into it, it shouldn't just disappear

so far i am interested still but annoyingly interested..im guessing it gets WAY better so I will stick it out

anyone else feel like this? I'm definatley not trying to shit on this game, I just feel like I am missing something...maybe I should have played the others first....[/quote]

The game gets its best in Chapter 4. On a side note I am sad that this thread hasnt been updated in a month :(

Well, I mean, anytime you play video games, you have to suspend your disbelief. How does Cloud carry a sword that probably weighs more than him? How does Nico materialize weapons from thin air?

I think it's almost mandatory that you play the other games in the series, too. The MGS universe is simply so reliant upon its story that if you don't know or don't like it, it's kind of hard to get anything out of the games. It's not that I think the gameplay is bad...it just isn't the driving force. So, if you aren't into the story, there really isn't much of a reason to show up to the party.

[quote name='Filler2001']The game gets its best in Chapter 4. On a side note I am sad that this thread hasnt been updated in a month :([/quote]

That's only true if you played the original, otherwise it's just another area. I really wanted to love this game and the new MGO, sadly it was not to be. Has Konami released another expanison pack for MGO or change anything? I don't feel like going through the five-10 minutes login to find out. I really wanted to love MGO, played the original so much, even got my friend to buy a PS3 just for MGO.

I wish the game would be patched so that I could replay any level at any time, on any difficulty after initially completing the game. Sometimes I would like to go back and simply replay a level, out of order, as the mood strikes me. You cannot do that with MGS4. What a waste of some great chapters.

[quote name='Sinistar']Any news on if they are going to patch for trophies? You'd think they would have already done by now..[/quote]

yeah, this is one of the few games screaming for them.

If MGS4 got trophies, I would hope it doesn't involve the in-game emblems at all. I'd like to do stuff like 'view 100 codec calls' or 'drag someone around for 1,000 yards'. Not stuff like 'beat the game on the hardest difficulty' or 'get all the in-game emblems', you know?

ALSO, what happened to the in-game podcasts? Just the one?

[quote name='blueweltall']I'm just surprised Konami didn't nickel and dime us on all this DLC.[/quote]

Well, they tried that with Metal Gear Online, and that turned out to be a massive, massive failure (probably because of their stupid stupid stupid Konami ID system).

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, they tried that with Metal Gear Online, and that turned out to be a massive, massive failure (probably because of their stupid stupid stupid Konami ID system).[/quote]

I never played the retail version of MGO because of all that stupid Konami ID thing I have to go through in the beta. No way I'm doing that shit again.

[quote name='KingBroly']ALSO, what happened to the in-game podcasts? Just the one?[/quote]

There probably won't be any more of these since Ryan Payton left Kojima Productions. That sucks... I loved the KP Report.

[quote name='Zyzomys']I wish the game would be patched so that I could replay any level at any time, on any difficulty after initially completing the game. Sometimes I would like to go back and simply replay a level, out of order, as the mood strikes me. You cannot do that with MGS4. What a waste of some great chapters.[/QUOTE]
If you don't delete all your old save files, you can do this.

If you don't delete all your old save files, you can do this.
That is a work around at best - you cannot even call your save files different names so it is easier to identify what is what. I think most people would simply prefer a menu list of every chapter - it is a game, why not make it user friendly.

It is these little things that make a great game. I still put in Resistance and replay my favorite levels, as I do with Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, and Halo 3. Sometimes alone, sometimes online, and I vary up the difficulty. The initial experience with MGS4 was great, but I never replay it now.

How can a game be Game of the Year if no one ever replays it? If no one is replaying it, no one is talking it up. Did anyone else notice how this game completely disappeared from the sales charts 1-month after release? Someone a few posts up also commented that this thread has had no posts in one month - this is a game that is about 6-months old and was to be a huge system seller.

This is a very good game that could easily have been a great game. Call me disappointed.

Isn't there text on the save file saying where you are? With a screenshot?

Yes, it would be nice to have this as a real feature. But the Japanese aren't usually smart enough to put this stuff in.

[quote name='pete5883']Isn't there text on the save file saying where you are? With a screenshot?

Yes, it would be nice to have this as a real feature. But the Japanese aren't usually smart enough to put this stuff in.[/quote]
I believe there is one, but it says the chapter only. No screen shot because Im too lazy

Yes, MGS4 save files do have a screen of where you left off, with info on where you were at in the game before saving and a description of the story at that point, as well.

Has anyone ever taken a look at the photos they've taken and found something....odd?

I was taking picture of the wolves after fighting the boss in the snow with the howling and the screaming D:, so I go to check them out and voila, a picture of Sniper Wolf is right next to the wolf. I exported it to my pics folder but when I look there her face isn't there anymore :/

Also, there was a funny option under the photo that said "Exorcise Ghost?"

I wanted to share it but it won't include her face :/

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Pics or it never happened, Shini. :nottalking:[/quote]
I tried! The face doesn't show up when I export it, only when I look in-game :(

I'll try and take one with my camera ;O

[quote name='metaly']There probably won't be any more of these since Ryan Payton left Kojima Productions. That sucks... I loved the KP Report.[/quote]

They could still easily do podcasts-- Ryan did have frequent guests that work for Konami that could easily do it. I love Ryan's work, but he wasn't the only guy who could host a podcast from there-- his delivery was always a bit sloppy.

[quote name='Zyzomys']That is a work around at best - you cannot even call your save files different names so it is easier to identify what is what. I think most people would simply prefer a menu list of every chapter - it is a game, why not make it user friendly.

It is these little things that make a great game. I still put in Resistance and replay my favorite levels, as I do with Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, and Halo 3. Sometimes alone, sometimes online, and I vary up the difficulty. The initial experience with MGS4 was great, but I never replay it now. [/quote]

Did you ever try it with stealth or many other options? It's a whole different experience when you're well armed and well-funded too.

[quote name='Zyzomys']
How can a game be Game of the Year if no one ever replays it? If no one is replaying it, no one is talking it up. Did anyone else notice how this game completely disappeared from the sales charts 1-month after release? Someone a few posts up also commented that this thread has had no posts in one month - this is a game that is about 6-months old and was to be a huge system seller. [/quote]

1. It was a huge system seller. If you saw the lines outside midnight retail chains like BB or GS, you'd see consoles walking out one after another. Sales of the system skyrocketed thanks to MGS.

2. I'm very, very tired of this American idealism that in order to be memorable or successful, you need X amount of sales to achieve that.

Kojima makes games. VERY GOOD GAMES. He's out to create an experience that is both memorable and enjoyable for the player, and maybe even learn something or look at something along the way (like how young males are conditioned by military combat shooters to think it's "cool, and perhaps even later joining the military for that reason-- think about it-- the military sanctions games like this-- hell, the Army cranked one out!)

If you judge a game on its playability and wow factor by looking at sales charts, then you are exactly the kind of person game company executives want replacing them. For the rest of us, you're only hurting the industry.

[quote name='Zyzomys']
This is a very good game that could easily have been a great game. Call me disappointed.[/quote]

This is a great game that you seem to be dissuaded by the fact that it's not being talked about or reached 5 billion in sales. Call me disappointed in your ideals.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Pics or it never happened, Shini. :nottalking:[/quote]

Ghosts exist. I remember back from MGS1 when you could snap certain areas to find the programmers-- so, on a lark I snapped the same spot I found only one the first time-- the Policenauts poster in Otacon's office on Shadow Moses. Sure enough, ghost face. They're all over if you know where to shoot-- or have the guide. ;)

Yeah, this game sold really well (last figure I saw was 4 million in August) and helped move PS3s (I think it doubled the sale of systems over the previous month). Though, of course, I obviously agree that it has little to do with the actual quality of the game. It also has plenty of replay value. Problem is, a big draw of the game is its story. If you aren't a fan of the story, it kind of kills a big reason for you to replay the game. Still, all of the MGS games, I found this one's gameplay to be the best, simply because there was so much to do and varied environments.

I finished chapter one and will start two tonight. It is getting better/more interesting even though I think some things are kind of dumb or annoying.

[quote name='Watchman']Ghosts exist. I remember back from MGS1 when you could snap certain areas to find the programmers-- so, on a lark I snapped the same spot I found only one the first time-- the Policenauts poster in Otacon's office on Shadow Moses. Sure enough, ghost face. They're all over if you know where to shoot-- or have the guide. ;)[/quote]
I was making fun of the fact that the exported photo lacked it, so he couldn't prove it as easily as he could have before.

Did you ever try it with stealth or many other options?
I have every single emblem, and played through it three times to do it including Big Super Boss or whatever the hardest level is. Thanks for trying.
If you judge a game on its playability and wow factor by looking at sales charts, then you are exactly the kind of person game company executives want replacing them.
What exactly do you want? I have completed everything the game has had to offer. What can I possibly do the further validate my experience. fuck you. I have problems with the game, and I explained them quite thoroughly. So you do not agree with them. So what.
For the rest of us, you're only hurting the industry.
I have all three consoles, I buy multiple games a month, and I never trade them. Your right, the industry just hates people like me. Hey Watchman, fuck off.

OK..im up to the part where you meet up with
Drebin in Act 2 and he tells you about the B&Bs
...all i am doing is
running through warzones to get to long cut scenes
...please tell me that I do more than this very soon....

You're obviously a CoD4 fan. Pretty sure all you do in that is run through warzones.

Edit: Yes,
the whole game is not spent in a warzone.

bread's done
Back