Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection

Wow. OK, just finished MGS2 for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten how totally fucking amazing this game is. Seriously. From the graphics to the story to the gameplay, I was blown away all over again.

Wow. OK, just finished MGS2 for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten how totally fucking amazing this game is. Seriously. From the graphics to the story to the gameplay, I was blown away all over again.

I think I'm gonna pick this up tonight. I've never played an MGS game save for dipping my toe in the water of Twin Snakes and Portable Ops.

Looking forward to trying them :)

[quote name='sparklecopy']the cool thing about metal gear solid 2:substance is that it's in widescreen. I was playing the xbox version and it's only in fullscreen and to play 2 in all it's glory in 1080p on ps3 is awesome.[/quote]

It's in widescreen? I didn't think any of the MGS games were.

I'm about an hour into MGS1, never played one of them before. I'm enjoying it thus far. The over-the-top drama of it all makes me laugh a lot.

Hopefully my Play-Asia order will be in tomorrow for some rumbley goodness.

I'm about an hour into MGS1, never played one of them before. I'm enjoying it thus far. The over-the-top drama of it all makes me laugh a lot.

Hopefully my Play-Asia order will be in tomorrow for some rumbley goodness.

Do you guys kill people in these games? I mean... When I sat down to think about it, every MGS game I've played I've ALWAYS gone the sneaky, non-lethal route. There are some places you can't help but to kill the enemies, but I remember spending a lot of time trying to find ways not to kill them.

I have no clue way. But it is weird, even in MGS3 I don't think I ever just unloaded on anyone with a gun.

[quote name='MikeydCT']I got this and poped MGS 3 in and it says disk 1 on the title screen. is there a 2nd disk? I only got 1.[/quote]
There is a second disk that came with the Subsistance game (MGS3 sold alone) which we got f***ed out of. I find it funny that Konami won't include the second disk but they're lazy enough NOT to change it on that disk.

Just finished MGS (for the first time since launch). Played on easy just to get through it. I'm aware of the different endings on higher settings and depending on one part in the game.

I'm about to start MGS2 - without posting spoilers - can I play on easy again without worrying about missing anything cool/important during the game? I'll just youtube the harder endings, I just don't want to miss anything funky ( I do not plan on replaying, no time.). PLEASE don't post any spoilers, I haven't played MGS2/MGS3 yet and have managed to avoid any FAQs/threads about it.

[quote name='UjnHunter']question, if i bought the new dual shock 3 controller, would the rumble work with these games in my ps3?[/quote]

Yes.

So I just finished playing the entire series , Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Series, and I was wondering if
Is Big Boss really dead. There are certain things in MGS 1 that seem to make me think he is still alive. And MGS4 is basically the boss's dream realized.

[quote name='cindersphere']So I just finished playing the entire series , Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Series, and I was wondering if
Is Big Boss really dead. There are certain things in MGS 1 that seem to make me think he is still alive. And MGS4 is basically the boss's dream realized.
[/QUOTE]
Out of curiousity, what makes you think he's still alive in MGS1? Also the reason his dream is the world in MGS4 is because of Liquid, who has always been trying to create Big Boss's dream.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']
Out of curiousity, what makes you think he's still alive in MGS1? Also the reason his dream is the world in MGS4 is because of Liquid, who has always been trying to create Big Boss's dream.
[/quote]

Nothing really concrete but the way they handle not being willing to say why the government will hand over the corpse and the making of MGS3. Maybe I am looking for something that is not there, but to me something is definately fishy to me.

Didn't know where to put this but I just finished the entire series including portable ops and I was wondering
What the hell, Ocelot was a patriot and so was major zero? I can understand major zero but ocelot was totally clueless at the end of MGS2. Now I gotta replay the game to see if it seems more like a double cross.
What the hell. I hope this gets explained in mgs4 because seriously this makes no sense.

[quote name='cindersphere']
What the hell, Ocelot was a patriot and so was major zero? I can understand major zero but ocelot was totally clueless at the end of MGS2. Now I gotta replay the game to see if it seems more like a double cross.
[/quote]
There's some evidence that Big Boss at once point was as well. I think it's in Portable Ops where Ocelot says that he'll become a Patriot as long as Big Boss is allowed to join as well. Considering that the Patriots exist, we can assume that at some point in time that he had, in fact, been a member.

My speculation was that what led Big Boss to fly off the handle was he figured out that Volgin's seemingly random launch of that nuclear bomb at the research facility was a calculated move to get rid of the last remaining tie to the Philosopher's Legacy - The Boss. Ocelot kills that one dude at the end of Portable Ops as well, securing the money to the newly founded Patriots.

This is all just speculation on my part but theres enough evidence that leads me to believe that their is some truth to it.

So is there anything extra as far as the main story in the Substance/Subsistence versions rather than the regular versions of MGS 2 & 3? I'm trying to decide between getting the Essential Collection or just buying MGS 2 & 3 used ($30 vs $12). I've already got Twin Snakes, so I really dont need the first game.

Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='Bezerker']So is there anything extra as far as the main story in the Substance/Subsistence versions rather than the regular versions of MGS 2 & 3? I'm trying to decide between getting the Essential Collection or just buying MGS 2 & 3 used ($30 vs $12). I've already got Twin Snakes, so I really dont need the first game.

Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

As far as the storyline, the versions are exactly the same... there are just tweaks to the gameplay (particularly with MGS3.) And MGS1 is better than Twin Snakes, but that's neither here nor there...

Haven't really played the MSGs.
I might get this, but I'm a little skeptical that I won't like it. I think IU had the first one a long time ago.

Thanks Char. I decided to go with the Essential Collection (I hate buying used). I gotta say Raiden should have been the main character from the start of the series. Though when I hear Jack & Rose I instantly think of Titanic...

I just beat Metal Gear Solid 2 today. I went MGS > MGS3 > MGS2. So...MGS2's ending...completely over my head. I beat Twin Snakes, not MGS1, although I have MGS1 because of the collection.

I was wondering if I should get the PSP game, but which one gives you the story?

Never played an MGS game before (I had the VR missions game and Twin Snakes but never really played them) so I bought the essential collection.

I am currently working through the first MGS and just beat Psycho Mantis last night. This game is friggin hard, but for some reason it keeps drawing me back. I guess I am getting pretty into it. I am really REALLY hoping I can finish this and get through the other two before 4 comes out.

Just thought I would add that.

The last boss fight in MGS3 is one of my favorite ever and very good ending. I think MGS3 is a very underated game.

[quote name='Deefuzz']Never played an MGS game before (I had the VR missions game and Twin Snakes but never really played them) so I bought the essential collection.

I am currently working through the first MGS and just beat Psycho Mantis last night. This game is friggin hard, but for some reason it keeps drawing me back. I guess I am getting pretty into it. I am really REALLY hoping I can finish this and get through the other two before 4 comes out.

Just thought I would add that.[/quote]
I'm in the same boat. I never played an MGS game before, but figured that since so many people love it and it's such a large franchise, that I should.

I stopped playing last night right before the final battle in the first one. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought. Especially after the trouble I had when I first started. It took me like 2 hours to get past the first two areas. But I finally got the hang of sneaking up on the enemies, or just sneaking past them completely.

how long does metal gear soild take to finish? I cant find a playstation 1 memory card anywhere. I dont have a credit card so I can only look in stores like gamestop.

[quote name='Deefuzz']Never played an MGS game before (I had the VR missions game and Twin Snakes but never really played them) so I bought the essential collection.

Just thought I would add that.[/quote]

Personally I prefer Twin Snakes, I don't see how anyone can go back to MGS after playing such a nice remake.

When you're done with MGS, take Twin Snakes for a spin.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm in the same boat. I never played an MGS game before, but figured that since so many people love it and it's such a large franchise, that I should.

I stopped playing last night right before the final battle in the first one. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought. Especially after the trouble I had when I first started. It took me like 2 hours to get past the first two areas. But I finally got the hang of sneaking up on the enemies, or just sneaking past them completely.[/quote]

A lot of people experience that because it's not a traditional way to play a game. I hope you're patient because MGS3 takes the sneaking and patience game to a whole new level, especially with its sniper fight.

[quote name='MikeydCT']how long does metal gear soild take to finish? I cant find a playstation 1 memory card anywhere. I dont have a credit card so I can only look in stores like gamestop.[/quote]
If you just want to do the story then play it on easy mode, you can run through it in less than 5 hours. Also you could always get the PC version and use a gamepad, or if you like keyboards(doesn't do it for me on MGS, just doesn't feel natural) do that. Unless you have a terrible computer over 4 years old you'll be able to play it just fine at high settings.

how do u beat psycho mantis? i read the gamefaqs guides but...
he dodges everything even when i switch the controller to port 2.
im using a ps3.
when the battle first starts in one second i get the HIDEO black out screen. and then i switch controller ports then it goes back to normal and then pyscho still dodges all my attacks. please help me lol.

nvm just hooked up to ps3 controllers and just used my 2nd controller to avoid the hassle of switching constantly.

Do all three games come with instructional manuals? I go the game new from gamestop, and MGS2 Substance is missing it's instruction manual.

The outerbox was sealed, but the individual games inside were not. I didn't think anything of it, until I noticed the manual was missing. Dang, it looks like gamestop screwed me.

I think that Amazon sold out of it because of the release of MGS4

[quote name='lpj8']The outerbox was sealed, but the individual games inside were not. I didn't think anything of it, until I noticed the manual was missing. Dang, it looks like gamestop screwed me.

I think that Amazon sold out of it because of the release of MGS4[/quote]

Also, Amazon recently had a sale on it, $25 instead of MSRP $30.

[quote name='lpj8']The outerbox was sealed, but the individual games inside were not. I didn't think anything of it, until I noticed the manual was missing. Dang, it looks like gamestop screwed me.

I think that Amazon sold out of it because of the release of MGS4[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the individual discs weren't sealed, just the one seal on the entire thing.

Im playing MGS 1 right now and im at the part where I have to change CDs. I cant save the game cus I have no ps1 card. Can I turn off the system and put in cd 2 later? need to know quick!!!!!!!

So I'm playing MGS1 and I'm stuck on the cyborg ninja guy. Honestly, how the fuck are you supposed to beat this guy? I've spent nearly three fucking hours and do not see how it's possible. He always runs away and then uses that dash attack which takes half your health then runs away again. It's all but impossible to get a hit in.

Whenever you're having trouble in the MGS series, calling everyone on your codec usually results in some good tips. In this case, don't use guns, you should be punching him.

bread's done
Back