Meteos General Discussion Thread

I went to GameCrazy and they didn't have it. Then I went to this hectic ass Wal-Mart right by it and they surprisingly had it. I've only played for a few minutes and it seems pretty good.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']i almost got pissed at my gamestop for not having it (since i have been wating close to a year) but as soon as I was done talking to one of the employees about the game, the FedEx guy walks in with a mini box all full of Meteos love![/QUOTE]

Congrats! Its always nice to hear good stories about games being in stock.

I paid the extra $5 Gamestop was charging in order to play it today. Put it on to play a quick game and then turned it off. The next time I turned it on I was unable to stop playing for about 3 hours :drool:.

man, gamestop came close to losing my business today. first the FNG(I know he's new since I go there a lot) said they weren't getting it in, almost immediately after I asked him about it...so I reminded him that it's coming out today. He's like maybe we'll get it by 2:00. so I go study for about a half hour in the food court, went to back to the store to check, and the FNG said "nope, maybe later, UPS is weird with their shipping."

figured I'd wait 10 more minutes and play some xbox demos. I then overheard the manager tell him that they got it in this morning. doh, what a waste of 45 minutes. The FNG brings Meteos to me and we go to ring it up. he then tells me he can't find my reservation, as if i'm lying, which he personally took YESTERDAY. I just said "look for it" and go play some more demos. he found it 10 minutes later.

okay, so after that annoying f-ing new guy experience I finally have this game and it's right up there with IQ, Puzzle Fighter, Lumines and Polarium, if not better than all of those. I like how the music and sounds match each other like they do in Lumines, that was a nice surprize(though still Lumines has the better soundtrack.)

my local TRU got the game in TODAY, they've been pretty awesome with current releases. I was very surprised. obviously, I had to pick it up

Picked it up at Target on the way home from work. Put it in the DS just to check it out and ended up playing for over 2 hours.

Great game!!!

I have a question for you guys. Hopfully I can describe it clearly enough.

After you launch a set of blocks and they start falling back down, you can line up another 3 blocks in the launched set to get a secondary boost. Sometimes the new match boosts the entire platform and sometimes it breaks off and becomes a platform of its own. Has anyone figured out what determines those outcomes? I can't seem to make any sense of it.

[quote name='drumbandit']I have a question for you guys. Hopfully I can describe it clearly enough.

After you launch a set of blocks and they start falling back down, you can line up another 3 blocks in the launched set to get a secondary boost. Sometimes the new match boosts the entire platform and sometimes it breaks off and becomes a platform of its own. Has anyone figured out what determines those outcomes? I can't seem to make any sense of it.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the exact same thing. I can't seem to make sense of it.

[quote name='dayglo']I was wondering the exact same thing. I can't seem to make sense of it.[/QUOTE]

Same here...Hopefully some deus ex machina will appear....

[quote name='dayglo']I was wondering the exact same thing. I can't seem to make sense of it.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I have a theory. If you make a match while the platform is still rocketing up or just starting to come back down, the whole platform boosts. If the platform is fully on it's way back down, it'll split. Let's see if you guys get the same results.

[quote name='drumbandit']Ok, I have a theory. If you make a match while the platform is still rocketing up or just starting to come back down, the whole platform boosts. If the platform is fully on it's way back down, it'll split. Let's see if you guys get the same results.[/QUOTE]

i think this is right, except i think possibly if you do a verticle stack of three it will still pull the whole thing up even if it is comming down.

I'm starting to think I was wrong. Or maybe it's different depending on the planet.

This might be the first puzzle game that needs a strategy guide. :lol:

After the first 5 hours, I have to say Star Trip and the VS modes are a little broken. half my scores are from happy mistakes! like I'll be moving a block to one spot and it'll get intercepted by another match and before I know it, the whole board has launched off the screen! also, I was playing against a friend and we did an experiment-- he just rubbed the screen constantly and I actually tried playing-- he kicked my ass in 5 matches! I'm fast too! :lol:

Deluge and time attack mode are different though, not as many happy accidents happen so I play those more and fuggin' hooked!

it's a hell of a puzzle game.

Btw, do you guys think it's safe to shave down and round off the stylus so that it has a finer point? That would improve my game like crazy.

[quote name='drumbandit']Ok, I have a theory. If you make a match while the platform is still rocketing up or just starting to come back down, the whole platform boosts. If the platform is fully on it's way back down, it'll split. Let's see if you guys get the same results.[/QUOTE]
Also it depends on where the blocks are. I'm not sure, but I think if you have 3 blocks in the bottom row of your platform it will boost the whole thing up no matter what, though it may only boost a portion if your 3 blocks are on the left or right side. It might depend on the planet, it's really pretty confusing.

[quote name='basketkase543']Lets get some more impressions up! Is this game worth a purchase?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

As for the launching portions, I've had many theories about it, only to get them all proven wrong...its very confusing.

One thing I think is for certain, if the pile of blocks is landing and lets say there is one red block on the bottom left corner and then it matches up with 2 other reds once it lands it launches everything up that is connect and has already launched.

you can also launch the whole section after it hits the ground, if you make a match within the first few seconds after it touches.

This games is freakin' crazy. I have no idea what I am doing half the time, but I cannot put it down. Meteos is one of te most fun puzzle games I have ever purchased. This is the first time in a while that I am happy to own a DS!

i cant figure out how you know how long it takes to beat a planet. it seems like levels will just randomly end in victory. is there any rhyme or reason to how to determine what it takes to beat a planet?

you are in a battle with them-- if you click somewhere on the right, you can see their game on the top screen.

[quote name='Supaman1489']i cant figure out how you know how long it takes to beat a planet. it seems like levels will just randomly end in victory. is there any rhyme or reason to how to determine what it takes to beat a planet?[/QUOTE]

it helps to look at the manual... in particular for this game... there's a lot of floating numbers and boxed off areas of the screen that arent exactly self evident at first... to see how far u are from winning... look at the top left corner of the bottom screen. it has P2 on it. that's a miniature screen of the other cpu player's game. you just need to kill him. also you can click on the middle right area of the bottom screen... it has a little icon that looks like a camera []

I got Meteos yesterday and I'm very impressed. So far I think it's the best game on the DS, and it could be a major system seller.

I picked this up on a whim at Best Buy (was spending a gift card, and had gone there for the $9 Pirates of the Caribbean DVD). I must say that I'm uber impressed. It's insane but fast and fun. I can pick it up and play it for like 5 minutes just to kill a little time or spend a whole mess of time playing it; it's been a while since a game has sucked me in this much. Kirby CC came close, but this one takes the cake for simple fun.

I don't want to sound too praise-happy, but I feel like maybe I've finally found a puzzle game to rival the original Gameboy Tetris.

daroga

I got it at Gamerush after the 30% discount. It's a great game but it has a much larger learning curve the most puzzle games. I'm sure I'll be better at it once I read the manual, but the longest I've played on level is like 4 minutes. That seems really short, and that maybe I'm missing something to make me live longer. Or do they want you to die and not play marathon games like starting at level 0 and going to level 9 in tetris ?

i dont think this game was meant to be a "marathon" type of puzzle game. after a while, the meteos start falling as fast as when you're holding down the speed button so... it gets pretty hectic after that

Yeahp. A great game and hard to unlock stuff... which is good. I dont know about you, but I LOVE all the different personalities for the planets. I've loved the different little sound effects for everything you do. Launch some Meteos, get a little sound. Get a combo, get a better sound. Do a little mid-air rocketing... an even better celebratory sound. It sometimes even sounds like a "negative" chime comes in every once in a while when you make a "mistake". The game is awesome... the only think that would make it better would be online play...

[quote name='KingDox']I got it at Gamerush after the 30% discount. It's a great game but it has a much larger learning curve the most puzzle games. I'm sure I'll be better at it once I read the manual, but the longest I've played on level is like 4 minutes. That seems really short, and that maybe I'm missing something to make me live longer. Or do they want you to die and not play marathon games like starting at level 0 and going to level 9 in tetris ?[/QUOTE]

Deluge games get rather hard once you break the 4 minute mark. Star trip mode games require that you beat your opponents in 3:00 or less.

We just picked up 2 copies today and it's awesome. Friggin Gamestop was trying to charge $35, so we just went to BB.

Multi-cart vs.!

i wish i had people to play against in multi-cart mode... so i could make use of that built in vs games tracker and add some VS. stats in game.

[quote name='KingDox']I got it at Gamerush after the 30% discount. It's a great game but it has a much larger learning curve the most puzzle games. I'm sure I'll be better at it once I read the manual, but the longest I've played on level is like 4 minutes. That seems really short, and that maybe I'm missing something to make me live longer. Or do they want you to die and not play marathon games like starting at level 0 and going to level 9 in tetris ?[/QUOTE]

well, there's not much to learn, you match and launch stuff. it's like zoo keeper in a tetris costume on crack. there's a couple variations on how you can launch stuff, but nothing that will help you last forever in deluge. it just becomes luck and happy accidents after a while.

though I think shaving down the stylus to get a finer point could help, but i'm afraid to try that :)

I'm getting it tomorrow. Hopefully. It's 35 dollars, right?

The only DS game I could possibly want after this is Feel the Magic XY/XX...and Ridge Racer for the 10 dollars at CC. Not full price. =P

I've tried the multi-path branch mode over 20 times and I always end up in the middle of the 3 endings. So frustrating.

Also, While I was at the Final Fantasy concert in dallas on Friday, there were 6 people in the pictochat room! A North American record! So I played Single Cart with them.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I'm getting it tomorrow. Hopefully. It's 35 dollars, right?

The only DS game I could possibly want after this is Feel the Magic XY/XX...and Ridge Racer for the 10 dollars at CC. Not full price. =P[/QUOTE]

If you pay $35, you are a fool. MSRP of $30

398,860 Deluge in Dawndus. I had a 30-40+ chain full screen combo going, no matter how high it got, it wouldnt clearn the screen. I just held down L and let loose. Up until the point where I was stopped, I was UNSTOPPABLE!

I have been addicted to this game since I got it. (so much that I am launching meteos in my sleep) Has anyone fused any rare metals yet? I have done fusions for new planets, sounds and items, but have not found any metals. Do you fuse meteos to form the metals and then fuse again to make new planets?

Also, for those interested, the Meteos website is up and gives some information for all the planets.

http://meteos.nintendods.com/index.html

yeah... u fuse the rare metals... and then use those rare metals to fuse whatever else needs those rare metals... its actually kind of a waste of meteos to fuse metals because it isnt TOO hard to come by the rare metals if you know which planets to find them in. but then again i sometimes fuse the rare metals just because i want to spend some meteos for the heck of it. sometimes it'll list a planet or something that wasn't listed before... so you can set new goals for yourself in launching meteos.

I've pretty much bored of Lumines for the time being...have nothing to play on my PSP, despite owning more than half of the PSP library....I head to the store today, and I was there deciding between Wario Ware: Twisted and Meteos. Meteos won out....and I'm just about to pop it in. Hope that it's as good as everyone has been saying.

Do fuseable things appear randomly? It seems they do.

I haven't fused any rare metals either, and I've fused only a planet or two. And a binch of a sounds, and about 5 or 6 items.

It seems that they appear when you have enough stuff to fuse them. Though as I understand it, Meteos doesnt appear unless you like see a certain amount of endings, and I still cant fuse that. So maybe some of that come up as a result of doing certain things. Its going to take quite a while to build enough material to fuse everything. So far I'm only missing about 6 planets. All the sounds and items are done.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']It seems that they appear when you have enough stuff to fuse them. Though as I understand it, Meteos doesnt appear unless you like see a certain amount of endings, and I still cant fuse that. So maybe some of that come up as a result of doing certain things. Its going to take quite a while to build enough material to fuse everything. So far I'm only missing about 6 planets. All the sounds and items are done.[/QUOTE]

You have to view 8 endings, plus 5000 air, earth, fire, and water, 3000 iron and electric, 2000 herb and animal, 1000 glow and dark, 5 soul and time. I've got all but 5 planets now, though I still can't get particularly great scores.

im missing 3 or 4 planets... got all sound sets... and need about 3 items... its all about time and not really all that much about skill... though usually skills come with the time and practice. :)

bread's done
Back