Metroid Prime 3 - Do Mother Brains' Have PMS? - 9.5 From IGN!

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']Especially since this game, unless Retro screwed up badly, isn't a FPS. The series already seems to have died on handhelds thanks to that sorry excuse for a Metroid game the DS got. These latest impressions have not been giving me much faith in this game at all, even though I know better, and that the game will be good. I think my real concern is that they perfected the Metroid gameplay in 3D with Metroid Prime, but every 3D Metroid after has moved away from what makes Metroid such a good series.[/quote]i'll admit the MPH wasn't that great IMO but it did introduce the idea of diff bounty hunters, which to me is awesome, and does metroid prime pinball count? cause that game rocked :applause: plus the free rumble pack goes well w/ EBA, ouendan 2 and Partners in time

[quote name='Scrubking']WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS
http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads8100_video-metroid-prime-3.html

Main Title Screen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlKtEgy95-I[/QUOTE]
That was sweet.

Am I the only one who played and loved the first Metroid Prime, then just wished from there they should have went 3rd person? I always felt Samus should have a Tomb Raider-esque game, her jumping abilities and exploring sense would fit perfect. Slap some platforming onto the Zelda engine and thats a guaranteed winner right there. I still have some hopes for it coming, away from the Prime moniker.

I'm also curious about how well the Prime games do in Japan, since its made from a US developer.

[quote name='CouRageouS']

I'm also curious about how well the Prime games do in Japan, since its made from a US developer.[/quote]

They preform mediocre to average.

Oh come on, the DS version was awesome! I put at least 300 hours into it.

I also used to live about 5 blocks away from Retro Studios office, and I just figured that out a while ago >_

[quote name='Riyonuk']Oh come on, the DS version was awesome! I put at least 300 hours into it.

I also used to live about 5 blocks away from Retro Studios office, and I just figured that out a while ago >_< when did they move?

[quote name='maigoyume']i'll admit the MPH wasn't that great IMO but it did introduce the idea of diff bounty hunters, which to me is awesome, and does metroid prime pinball count? cause that game rocked :applause: plus the free rumble pack goes well w/ EBA, ouendan 2 and Partners in time[/quote]

Metroid Pinball is a great game, I will admit that. But a big part of that is that the game is pinball, with Metroid elements perfectly mixed in. Hunters on the other hand, is a generic FPS with Metroid characters used as the selling point. So yes, what I'm saying is that Metroid Prime Pinball counts for more of a metroid game than Hunters does. It'd be great if Nintendo would make a real DS Metroid of course, especially since the 2 GBA ones were great, but I guess that's not likely now. I really want a remake of Metroid 2 actually, done like Metroid Zero Mission was.

I'm still going to be buying Prime 3. As I said before, the first Metroid Prime was my favorite GC game, and one of the best of the last generation. Prime 2 felt off, like they weren't getting it quite right anymore. And then Hunters was awful, and now people are calling Prime the best FPS ever(when the series isn't and has never been a FPS). It's really killing all the interest I had in this game at the moment.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']Metroid Pinball is a great game, I will admit that. But a big part of that is that the game is pinball, with Metroid elements perfectly mixed in. Hunters on the other hand, is a generic FPS with Metroid characters used as the selling point. So yes, what I'm saying is that Metroid Prime Pinball counts for more of a metroid game than Hunters does. It'd be great if Nintendo would make a real DS Metroid of course, especially since the 2 GBA ones were great, but I guess that's not likely now. I really want a remake of Metroid 2 actually, done like Metroid Zero Mission was.

I'm still going to be buying Prime 3. As I said before, the first Metroid Prime was my favorite GC game, and one of the best of the last generation. Prime 2 felt off, like they weren't getting it quite right anymore. And then Hunters was awful, and now people are calling Prime the best FPS ever(when the series isn't and has never been a FPS). It's really killing all the interest I had in this game at the moment.[/quote]i wouldn't mind a metroid 2 remake either, in fact i never got to play it so that would definitely make my day, about your description of MPH, honestly it wasn't that great a game, metroid prime is meant to be an FPA (FIRST PERSON ADVENTURE) not nintendo's answer to halo, in any case prime 3 looks to bring back the FPA aspects of the game and i'm grateful if it does just that

I'll admit the hunters introduced in MPH were pretty cool. I also really digged the online mode. The only thing I didn't like about it was the hand cramping and having to go back to the same levels over and over.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']BEST CONSOLE FPS EVER? That's a hell of a statement.[/QUOTE]

And one only Play Magazine would be dumb enough to make.

I'm not saying it doesn't have potential, hell I may buy a wii just to play this sometime soon after it releases, but still-- Play is borderline retarded with their hyperbole (and that goes for everything...)

[quote name='Apossum']And one only Play Magazine would be dumb enough to make.

I'm not saying it doesn't have potential, hell I may buy a wii just to play this sometime soon after it releases, but still-- Play is borderline retarded with their hyperbole (and that goes for everything...)[/quote]
What does this have to do with Play? IGN just said it after playing the E3 2007 build.

How can anyone genuinely lay down such hyperbole, anyway? No one's played the whole thing, right?

[quote name='Zen Davis']What does this have to do with Play? IGN just said it after playing the E3 2007 build.[/QUOTE]

okay, I take back my comment--i didn't read close enough. but 9 times out of 10, play lays down the insane hyperbole.

[quote name='maigoyume']metroid prime is meant to be an FPA (FIRST PERSON ADVENTURE) not nintendo's answer to halo, in any case prime 3 looks to bring back the FPA aspects of the game and i'm grateful if it does just that[/QUOTE]

Yep. I'm hoping they stick to the FPA aspect of the game, and don't get shooter happy with the new controls.

Metroid used to be a no question day 1 buy, but after not liking Prime 2 and absolutely loathing the DS game I"l have to read a few reviews first.

Just want to point out that the DS Metroid was handled by NST, not Retro. The games are not even remotely comparable outside of the name and the fact that NST borrowed the aesthetic created by Retro.

[quote name='Strell']Just want to point out that the DS Metroid was handled by NST, not Retro. The games are not even remotely comparable outside of the name and the fact that NST borrowed the aesthetic created by Retro.[/QUOTE]

it is a big difference. MPH put me to sleep while MP1 on the cube kept me wanting to play more and more the entire time. I didn't like MPH's "levels" much at all...

[quote name='spiwak']How can anyone genuinely lay down such hyperbole, anyway? No one's played the whole thing, right?[/quote]
Perhaps not the whole thing, but they've played enough of it to know what they're talking about. I would think anyway. It's not just any one publication that are saying it. IGN and Destructoid have both said that Metroid Prime 3 is awesome.

...and the two Metroid 3 stages were just the confirmation we needed that Corruption is going to truly change FPS gaming on Wii.

[quote name='EXStrike']IGN: http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803978p1.html

You know, they never said "Best console FPS ever". They said "played better than any first-person console game".

Big difference, I'd say, unless I missed something, which I don't think I did.[/quote]
Should I take out the 'S' in FPS?

Metroid Prime 3, on the other hand, is the single best-controlling first-person console game and it may become the most atmospheric Metroid outing yet, which would be a huge accomplishment.

[quote name='Apossum']And one only Play Magazine would be dumb enough to make.

I'm not saying it doesn't have potential, hell I may buy a wii just to play this sometime soon after it releases, but still-- Play is borderline retarded with their hyperbole (and that goes for everything...)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I always get a kick out of the games with the play rating sticker "10/10 PLAY" on Fable. Yeah it was a great game, but 10/10? Hell Overlord got a 9/10 when most places gave it mid 7's. Theres a bunch of other games that scored high with play to. Play = bullshit source.

I started MP1 today (I originally had it a long time ago and used a guide so that doesn't count). I am liking it quite a bit right now. I just got the magnet ball upgrade. One thing I hate though is having to use that damn thermal vision. I also have MP2 sitting in the closet (have never played it). I need to get on it to have both of these beat before Corruption comes out. BTW which MP is better, the 1st one or Echoes? What are the differences?

[quote name='Staind204']I started MP1 today (I originally had it a long time ago and used a guide so that doesn't count). I am liking it quite a bit right now. I just got the magnet ball upgrade. One thing I hate though is having to use that damn thermal vision. I also have MP2 sitting in the closet (have never played it). I need to get on it to have both of these beat before Corruption comes out. BTW which MP is better, the 1st one or Echoes? What are the differences?[/quote]You have a TON of gaming to do then. I'm trying to finish MP2 before MP3 comes out and that's going to be cutting it close.

So far I'm enjoying both but I like MP1 better. MP2 is very good though. The one thing that seems to bug me about MP2 is there's not enough bosses yet or at least cool bosses. MP1 did a great job of breaking things down into a level like experience with a boss at the end of every task. So far MP2 doesn't really do this and the bosses so far aren't near as interesting/creative/original as the first game. Definitely give it a play though.

[quote name='Staind204']BTW which MP is better, the 1st one or Echoes? What are the differences?[/QUOTE]

I loved MP1 and didn't care much for Echoes.

The main difference is you switch back and forth from light and dark versions of the world. The dark world is pretty much the same as the light, but there are differences and changing things in one leads to changes in the other etc. The main problem with it is: 1. It leads to double the back tracking. 2. The dark hurts you so you spend a lot of time standing under lights in the dark world which regenerate your health. You get upgrades that reduce the health loss but it's always annoying.

Finally, I found the bosses even harder when I already thought the last few bosses in MP1 were too hard for my tastes.

the difficulty was definitely ramped up in echoes, i can't even count how many times it took me to take out the
boost ball guardian
>

[quote name='dmaul1114']I loved MP1 and didn't care much for Echoes.

The main difference is you switch back and forth from light and dark versions of the world. The dark world is pretty much the same as the light, but there are differences and changing things in one leads to changes in the other etc. The main problem with it is: 1. It leads to double the back tracking. 2. The dark hurts you so you spend a lot of time standing under lights in the dark world which regenerate your health. You get upgrades that reduce the health loss but it's always annoying.

Finally, I found the bosses even harder when I already thought the last few bosses in MP1 were too hard for my tastes.[/quote]

Quoted for truth for the light world/dark world discussion. When I heard about light and dark worlds I wasn't expecting the same exact levels that differ only in the color of the atmosphere. I was hoping for something where in the Light world you have a forest,but in the Dark world you have a desert.

I do disagree with the difficulty though. I enjoyed the fact that they were more difficult.

[quote name='maigoyume']the difficulty was definitely ramped up in echoes, i can't even count how many times it took me to take out the
boost ball guardian
>

[quote name='dmaul1114']That was exactly where I said fuck it and quit playing.

I realize many love the challenge, but I just don't have much time for games and thus have little patience for bosses that take me 20+ times to beat.

Especially in first person games which I admittedly suck at.[/quote]the difficulty was definitely geared towards the more hardcore, but the end boss fight made it all worthwhile :applause:

Ridley and Prime were harder than hell in the first game and I honestly expect nothing less in part 2.

I got about five hours into Prime 2 and am absolutely loving the experience. It's definitely hard but I love the atmosphere of the world much more than the first one. Although nothing comes close to the Phendora Drifts in the first game, I like the fact that the world/universe feels more fleshed out than any of the other games in the Metroid series.

For me, the environments in 2 (which I just played through this week) couldn't even touch those in MP1. Phendrana was like... perfect, so I guess I can't expect them to match that, but still... the Agon Wastes looked exactly the same as the overworld for the most part, and the other places weren't particularly interesting either. That said, I loved the game... but I hope 3 steps it up in terms of environments.

all this MP talk makes me wanna pick up a copy of MP1 to mess around with before 3 comes out.

I couldn't get into MP2 at all for some reason...

[quote name='seanr1221']I really wish there was someway for me to know what to do next in MP2...I'd love to finish it before Prime 3 comes out.[/quote]
Turn on the hint system.

[quote name='Apossum']all this MP talk makes me wanna pick up a copy of MP1 to mess around with before 3 comes out.

I couldn't get into MP2 at all for some reason...[/quote]

Try again and this time pretend its Samus put into the Aliens world. Makes it a lot easier to dig.

Sweet jebus, Prime 2 has a hint system??

As for the Gamefaqs comment, that isn't going to help when I have no idea where I even am or what happened last (last time I played was in December).

[quote name='seanr1221']Sweet jebus, Prime 2 has a hint system??

As for the Gamefaqs comment, that isn't going to help when I have no idea where I even am or what happened last (last time I played was in December).[/quote]

Start over.

As for the Gamefaqs comment, that isn't going to help when I have no idea where I even am or what happened last (last time I played was in December).[/quote]yea there is, you just gotta roam around a bit before it kicks in, i just went missile upgrade hunting

Does this game come out on the 21st or 27th? Most places have said the 27th, but the Aug issues of Game Informer says 21st. I know Game Informer is rubbish, but they're usually up to date if nothing else. Can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know if there has been any mention on the about of Back Tracking involved in the game compared to MP1 and MP2?

[quote name='maigoyume']the difficulty was definitely ramped up in echoes, i can't even count how many times it took me to take out the
boost ball guardian
>

[quote name='pop311']Does anyone know if there has been any mention on the about of Back Tracking involved in the game compared to MP1 and MP2?[/quote]There hasn't been a review because it hasn't been released (not even early yet to review sites) but that should come soon. However I do remember from what people played at E3 or behind closed doors that any of the back tracking that they had to do made sense and didn't feel forced as well as the losing of your weapons. Or something to that extent. The bottom line is that everything seemd incorporated more logically than in the previous MP games (thus far).

When I played it last week I couldn't believe how accurate the remote is. Well, I could because when I played it last year I said that it was lethal. The level design looks like they're aiming for fun and different ways to experience Samus. I think if it weren't for Halo 3 this year this might be the best game this year. And even then I think this is better than Halo because after seeing Halo 3, I thought, "wow that looks great, but it's still Halo" and even though some of the same applies for this, as in it's still Metroid, it's Metroid in a way we've never played before and makes me wonder how long it is until we get some real games like this, not that Red Steel crap.

Oh and I played for about 20 maybe even 30 minutes, I didn't get tired and I wasn't even standing. You don't need to stand for this, sit down and relax.

[quote name='Redeema']The level design looks like they're aiming for fun and different ways to experience Samus.[/quote]Oh yeah!? *Wink*Wink*Nudge*Nudge*

I think if it weren't for Halo 3 this year this might be the best game this year. And even then I think this is better than Halo
Personally I think Mario Galaxy is going to trump every game this year but we'll see. The sad thing about gaming is that no matter how crappy Halo is (see Halo 2 Single Player) the hype and fanbots behind it forces weak people to vote it to the top of the list. If people had balls and voted honestly instead of in fear of some virtual riot every developer would get credit where it is genuinely deserved.
andmakes me wonder how long it is until we get some real games like this, not that Red Steel crap.
I was on of the 200 people that liked Red Steel even in it's rushed for launch and buggy condition. I think everyone will be pleased with Red Steel 2 given ample time to develop and incorporate everything that has been learned over the past year and beyond. However what is going to kill RS2 is the Halo syndrome. People that have never played the game (including the original) will spread negative hype no matter how well the game is. Then it's left up to the reviewers which are mostly balless weasels that will give it a low score without even playing it completely and call it a day. That's just how I see it though.

Oh and I played for about 20 maybe even 30 minutes, I didn't get tired and I wasn't even standing. You don't need to stand for this, sit down and relax.
So many people STILL don't understand this. *SIGH*

As for the Gamefaqs comment, that isn't going to help when I have no idea where I even am or what happened last (last time I played was in December).[/quote]

Thats why i hate metroid prime 1 and 2. SO MUCH back tracking, I couldn't beat the first game because i was able to progress without ever getting the hook shot ( i didn't realize i was suppose to have it, i was 8 hours into the game) I eventually got to a spot where i needed it and was so lost to figure out how to backtrack it was impossible, it was impossible for me to go back and get it because A) i get killed B) gonna take another 2 hours finding it.

Metroid 2 got lost and never found my way.

Lol :D

bread's done
Back