Metroid Prime 3 - Do Mother Brains' Have PMS? - 9.5 From IGN!

Javery - re: last pickups

I'm told the biggest places people forget to check are the warp/ice area on Bryyo where you got the screw attack/space jump originally (which I definitely know I forgot to check) and the Valhalla.

I need to replay through the game and see if that is indeed where I missed things. I did the observatory and got all the white dots, and ultimately ended up with 95/100.

Cast me as one that hated Echoes.

Hated waiting in light bubbles in the dark world. Hated the extra back tracking from having a light and dark world. Hated the uber difficult bosses.

I loved MP1 and I loved MP3, but I couldn't get through MP2, quit about 16 hours in.

Echoes isn't as enjoyable as Prime 1 or 3, but it's still an excellent game. I'm guilty of writing it off myself as a bad game, but then I replayed it and was reminded of much better it was than I was remembering.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']Echoes isn't as enjoyable as Prime 1 or 3, but it's still an excellent game. I'm guilty of writing it off myself as a bad game, but then I replayed it and was reminded of much better it was than I was remembering.[/quote]

would you say it's worth $20 new?

[quote name='wildnuts02']would you say it's worth $20 new?[/quote]
I would say yes. The game is going for around 15$ used and shipped on ebay.

By the way, if you play with Gamefaqs the game should become exponentially more enjoyable. I know Metroid is about exploration but the frustration can ramp up pretty quickly because the world isn't very distinctive and you can become lost.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I would say yes. The game is going for around 15$ used and shipped on ebay.

By the way, if you play with Gamefaqs the game should become exponentially more enjoyable. I know Metroid is about exploration but the frustration can ramp up pretty quickly because the world isn't very distinctive and you can become lost.[/quote]

nice! i'll use a guide and i'll pick it up after work.

why oh why do i have such a huge backlog though!?

I started playing Prime 1 last year but lost track with graduating from college and getting a job. Finished it around the time 3 came out, so I went and bought 2 at GC - it is obnoxiously hard without a guide (I'm not ashamed)

Everynight I come home from work I plan on beating 2 (I'm right at the final boss) but then I get side tracked with other stuff

I just want to beat it so I can play 3 - I hear the final boss(es) on 2 means I have my work cut out for me :cry:

As a matter of fact could anyone offer advice on how to beat Ing?

I've read every guide online - followed to the T and I cannot hit him the f'ing eye EVER after making the tentacles go away

I aim for the center, fire a sonic boom and it always flies off to the left and never hits him

What am I doing wrong?

[quote name='calebbradham']best game ever. ing you have to hit him in the eye to beat him.[/quote]

I am for the eye EVERYTIME but the sonic boom NEVER goes in - it always curves around or somehow hits the shields. The dark beam takes down the Ing slowly, but by then I'm halfway dead

Hey way to go Jav. YOur 97% is a lot better than my 79% (I rented it). either way you can watch the alternative endings on youtube if you don't feel like replaying it.

I aboslutely LOVED this game and felt like I had such a sense of accomplishment when I beat it.

Sorry combatcraig I can't help you, I only made it about 1/3rd or halfway through Echoes. It sounds to me like you may not be using the right weapon because of the way you describe your attacks glancing off.

[quote name='CombatCraig']I am for the eye EVERYTIME but the sonic boom NEVER goes in - it always curves around or somehow hits the shields. The dark beam takes down the Ing slowly, but by then I'm halfway dead[/quote]

I just used the Annihilator Beam, I think. Whichever one shoots like the fire beam in Prime 1, if memory serves. It has been a while though.

[quote name='CombatCraig']I am for the eye EVERYTIME but the sonic boom NEVER goes in - it always curves around or somehow hits the shields. The dark beam takes down the Ing slowly, but by then I'm halfway dead[/quote]

http://youtube.com/user/evilarbaz92

Here is a speed run for the game. You can watch it and see what you're doing wrong.

[quote name='Zen Davis']http://youtube.com/user/evilarbaz92

Here is a speed run for the game. You can watch it and see what you're doing wrong.[/QUOTE]

You're a life saver Zen. I did exactly what the video showed and I.... FINALLY BEAT MP2!!!!!

Still a very annoying boss battle (Dark Samus also) but now I can start MP3 with full satisfaction!

I just got this game and realized it doesn't have multiplayer/online option??

I still like it but i was really surprised not to find it..

I remember even the DS's had multiplayer capability..

[quote name='harunim']I just got this game and realized it doesn't have multiplayer/online option??

I still like it but i was really surprised not to find it..

I remember even the DS's had multiplayer capability..[/QUOTE]

You're kidding, right?

Oh good, I was just about to bump this thread. I picked this up at Target today for $28 and it came with a mario pre-order coin (really). How are the different difficulty levels in this game? I'm not sure whether to start off on normal or hard.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Oh good, I was just about to bump this thread. I picked this up at Target today for $28 and it came with a mario pre-order coin (really). How are the different difficulty levels in this game? I'm not sure whether to start off on normal or hard.[/QUOTE]

I started on Veteran and would suggest the same, but I must say that I had previous experience with both Primes (beat them on Hard mode and took the time to get the 100% on both scans and items) and I was already familiar with the FPS set-up on Wii with COD3.

I haven't heard anyone on this thread complain about the difficulty or completing the game on Normal, but it does make some of the tokens easier to get.

After beating it on Veteran, I played through Hyper then Normal and I thought Normal was a push-over. That said, if you have any of the previous experience with Primes or FPS's on the Wii, you should be fine on Veteran (I think Veteran is still easier than Normal on MP2). If not, stick with Normal.

Not sure if that helps at all. Have fun with it - it's a great game.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Oh good, I was just about to bump this thread. I picked this up at Target today for $28 and it came with a mario pre-order coin (really). How are the different difficulty levels in this game? I'm not sure whether to start off on normal or hard.[/quote]

Dare I say how did you get MP for $28 at Target?

[quote name='Doomed']How did you do that?[/quote]

Target had a BF deal for Big Brain Wii. It was sold out at my local store, and had a little tag next to it saying: Please substitute this deal with Metroid 3 for $28. I laughed since they were actually offering an even better deal. So I bought it, and the cashier handed me Mario Galaxy coin for some reason.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Target had a BF deal for Big Brain Wii. It was sold out at my local store, and had a little tag next to it saying: Please substitute this deal with Metroid 3 for $28. I laughed since they were actually offering an even better deal. So I bought it, and the cashier handed me Mario Galaxy coin for some reason.[/quote]

:drool:

Gee I wish they did that here. I would've been all over that.

So I'm sure this has been asked before but... 87 pages. Anyway: I heard this game is way more action-oriented than the first game. Is this true? I'd be willing to pick this up if it's a real Metroid game, but if it's just an FPS with some mild exploration elements I won't bother.

[quote name='tankexmortis']So I'm sure this has been asked before but... 87 pages. Anyway: I heard this game is way more action-oriented than the first game. Is this true? I'd be willing to pick this up if it's a real Metroid game, but if it's just an FPS with some mild exploration elements I won't bother.[/QUOTE]

It still feels very much like metroid.

There is more shooting I guess, but there's about the same amount of exploration, with a bit less back tracking.

It's the best in the Metroid Prime Series IMO.

i finally picked this up and probably put about an hour and half in and i have to say:

awesome experience so far (i like how cinematic it is) BUT....damn i'm having a hard time getting used to the controls. i feel like such a n00b since no one else has complained about them. :wall:

i don't know what it is but i have a hard time strafing/locking on/shooting while at the same time dodging fire. thank goodness i'm playing it on normal mode or else i'd be dying constantly. hopefully i'll get used to them pretty soon.

It's not just you... the controls take some getting used to. And even when you do get used to them, it's still kinda wonky at times.

Make sure to set your controls to advanced. That way, you can lock on to enemies but you still aim manually. It works the best, IMO.

[quote name='Vinny']It's not just you... the controls take some getting used to. And even when you do get used to them, it's still kinda wonky at times.

Make sure to set your controls to advanced. That way, you can lock on to enemies but you still aim manually. It works the best, IMO.[/quote]

thanks. good to know it's not just me. :D

my controls are on "normal" and it still lets aim manually when locked on. i haven't tried the "advanced" controls yet though so i don't know what the difference is.

[quote name='wildnuts02']thanks. good to know it's not just me. :D

my controls are on "normal" and it still lets aim manually when locked on. i haven't tried the "advanced" controls yet though so i don't know what the difference is.[/QUOTE]

change the controls to advance...imo, it is THE way to play the game. but yeah, they take a little bit to get used to...but man, what a great game!!!

Advanced just makes the cursor more sensitive (i.e. there's less dead area in the middle of the screen and it moves faster). Definitely the way to play.

Controls take a long time to get used to for sure. Takes forever to get used to having to keep aimed at the middle of the screen when walking around to keep the camera from spinning.

But once you get used to them they work great.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Advanced just makes the cursor more sensitive (i.e. there's less dead area in the middle of the screen and it moves faster). Definitely the way to play.

Controls take a long time to get used to for sure. Takes forever to get used to having to keep aimed at the middle of the screen when walking around to keep the camera from spinning.[/quote]

yep. you pretty much just nailed what happens to me. also, for some reason when i "lock on" the camera sometimes seems to slip and next thing i know i'm not really locked on anymore. hard to explain but it's prob just due to me totally sucking.

i agree though, awesome game.

Fired it up on Sunday for the first time. Before I began, I have:

A - jump
B - fire.
ADVANCED setup from the get-go...
Sensitivity is still too slow to compare with PC FPS... No idea how that will affect the gameplay that METROID is packing, though...

The intro?

BAD ASS.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Fired it up on Sunday for the first time. Before I began, I have:

A - jump
B - fire.
ADVANCED setup from the get-go...
Sensitivity is still too slow to compare with PC FPS... No idea how that will affect the gameplay that METROID is packing, though...

The intro?

BAD ASS.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure but wasn't the default A to fire and B to jump? I remember changing it from the default (swapping the two) and my index finger got really tired from all the firing during the big battles with multiple enemies and the boss fights. I thought it was more logical that way but my index finger disagreed.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm not sure but wasn't the default A to fire and B to jump? I remember changing it from the default (swapping the two) and my index finger got really tired from all the firing during the big battles with multiple enemies and the boss fights. I thought it was more logical that way but my index finger disagreed.[/quote]

Hmm... You may be right. I certainly felt that "trigger action" would make most sense. I'll see how it feels.

Why is it that I always get games when the projects are getting to the point of being outside of my level of SANITY?

ah, this will be my first metroid prime game. I loved the 2-d metroids but for some reason, never bought the 3 ( or 4 if you count pinball ;) ) primes

Wow, you already have a wii already, Wildnuts02. And you got metroid 3 from me like 2 days ago. Time seems to pass kinda of fast. I'm talking like a old gumpy man now.

[quote name='hero101']Wow, you already have a wii already, Wildnuts02. And you got metroid 3 from me like 2 days ago. Time seems to pass kinda of fast. I'm talking like a old gumpy man now.[/quote]

the only thing that's fast is your shipping!!! thanks again. hopefully you'll be receiving odin sphere soon :D

I should mention that this is by far my favorite Metroid of the 3D ones. I do fall in the odd group that preferred ECHOES to the first. Corruption, at least in the beginning section of the game, seems to be more focused, a bit more "confident" in its presentation of the story, and quite cinematic in places. I'm roughly a couple of hours into the game, though.

I will say this: the opening few hours of ECHOES did have a wonderful sense of being in a deserted place where bad shit happened, in which the exploration was creepy and haunting. I'll miss that if there is no such thing in Corruption, though I sincerely doubt it would register as a gripe.

I don't know what to say to those that wonder if it's a shooter more than a Metroid title. It's so fucking populated, that I really can't compare it to any other Metroid - the first act is hauntingly similar to the opening of Half Life. If you choose to hate on the title based on my associating it with what is probably the best FPS Adventure on PC... I pout for you.

Just got to the first boss on Bryyo. I was just curious what the differences between the difficulty levels are. I'm on veteran and the difficulty feels just about right, though the only times I died was because I either got stuck under a platform in lava or accidentally went backwards when everything was about to explode...

EDIT: Also, the lock on seems kind of wonky sometimes.

bread's done
Back