Micro Center LIVE Point Cards 9.19.2009.

wild homes

CAGiversary!
Micro Center is selling Microsoft's 1600 LIVE points cards for $9.99, and the 4000 LIVE points cards for $39.99... I purchased three of the 4000 point cards today, and the cashier _did_ have to get authorisation from his supervisor (apparently they weren't ringing up correctly and had to be adjusted) but all the items DO have sku-correct price tags on them for the above prices and it was confirmed to me that it was not an error. This was at the Houston location.

If this is a repost, I apologise. I don't have time to search it up properly at the moment, on my way out the door.

EDIT: If you are looking to buy or sell these codes, we now have a thread for just that purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rmb']Definitely YMMV, guess I should take a swing by in the am. If my store had them at that price I'd buy every last card they have.[/QUOTE]
Guess I need to get there before you then! :lol:

can anyone confirm a madison heights (detroit) location?

I'm only about 20-25 minutes away. Maybe I'll stop by in the morning. I'm building a PC at the moment so I'd probably find something else to buy there anyway - I'm not overly confident I'll be getting any deals on points. We'll see.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']if someone can give me reason to go to microcenter tomorrow than I will. I'd be willing to pick some up for a few cags if it is legit. But ehhh, 2% chance this is legit. Probably similar to that TRU deal with like 2 stores clearing out the old cards.[/QUOTE]
Cause you're probably closer than I am to MicroCenter. Make it happen and hook me up, fellow SoCal CAG. :)

[quote name='Traitorious']Guess I need to get there before you then! :lol:[/QUOTE] Not really, I hook up locals when I can.

[quote name='rmb']Not really, I hook up locals when I can.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't not buying all of the cards be a better method of "hooking up the locals?"

[quote name='cloudmd23']Wouldn't not buying all of the cards be a better method of "hooking up the locals?"[/QUOTE]
Yeah. It's funny how we want hording to occur in our favor, but never against us. :p

[quote name='osugsxr']will check out the cincinnati location today..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, please post back whatever you find out. Was planning on swinging by after work, maybe you could save me a trip. =]

MS Points and Wii points cards ARE charged tax if you live in a tax that charges sales tax.$

Points cards are NOT the same things as gift cards. $They are items like a :br: or a HDD. $By using a closed system, MS and Nintendo are placing the tax burden at the point of sale, and don't have to worry about collecting sales taxes on each DD transaction.$

PSN cards ARE just gift cards. This is why people are charged sales taxes depending on the local sales tax rate/laws.$

If people aren't being charged sales taxes in states that charge sales taxes, the cashiers are making a mistake.$

I forgot to mention that taxes on points cards only apply when buying locally.

Purchasing points cards from Amazon/Newegg/etc aren't taxed if those retailer lack a physical presence in your state.

Tax is only charged on the cards in the blister packs that are pre-activated. The loose ones that are out and need to be activated are considered "gift cards" and do not get taxed. At least that is how it is here in Chicagoland.

Appears the VA location has them all at regular price. Or the sale person is not aware of a price change ( could be the case ). All marked regular price.

I heard a confirmation (from a friend on Kotaku) that as of yesterday the Orange County/ Tustin location in California had these prices, as well. Beyond that, I couldn't say at this point.

I advise to go check the store yourself instead of calling. I walked in the store and the guy in the video game section was not aware of any sale on the cards. I went to the section to check myself and all the points cards where marked down. The stickers said 9.99 and 19.99. They rang up at the register as 12.99 and 39.99 so a manager had to come over and override the price with the sticker price.

This was at the St Davids/Philadelphia store. Unless they restock, they are all out of them.

I just called MicroCenter in houston, they only have one left (1600) for $12.99! to far for me to drive for one card.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I don't know why people still bother with this, no one ever, EVER, picks up stuff for other people...yet there are always tons of people begging in every thread. It's annoying as hell.[/QUOTE]

I bought something like 25 or 30 copies of Lego Indy/Kung Fu Panda for people on here and sold them at cost. Some of us do make an effort to help our fellow CAGs.

[quote name='wild homes']I heard a confirmation (from a friend on Kotaku) that as of yesterday the Orange County/ Tustin location in California had these prices, as well. Beyond that, I couldn't say at this point.[/QUOTE]
Did he say if there were any left?

Rockville, Md had 3 1600point cards marked $9.99. They rang up $12.99 so the manager did a price override. I got them for 9.99 each no tax. I asked if they had more or any 4000 and they said no.

JWBrown: Sorry, I'm unaware if they have any more remaining at the Orange County location. He didn't mention last I spoke to him.

GPThree: Agreed. When I originally called the Houston location yesterday, I was only quoted the price in the computer system. When I checked the store physically, all the cards were marked down to the mentioned prices ($9.99/$19.99).

I'm in line at the Michogan store right now. No 4000s left but I got two of the 1600s for 9.99. As soon as I waslked away the asshole took them ALL off the shelf and walked to the back. Don't know why but that's probably not a good sign. They did have to manually override the price to 9.99.

Dang, if anyone gets some spares I'd be willing to pay $15 for a 1600, or $35 for a 4000. I wish I had a Microcenter near me, I'd done have cleaned them out of stock already too.

Nutley st. Va store is selling them 12.99 theyare marked 19.99 though. 4000 are 39.99. I didn't get any so there are some left.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm in line at the Michogan store right now. No 4000s left but I got two of the 1600s for 9.99. As soon as I waslked away the asshole took them ALL off the shelf and walked to the back. Don't know why but that's probably not a good sign. They did have to manually override the price to 9.99.[/QUOTE]

He probably wanted to hoard them and his manager said he could only buy them after the day was over...and he probably got annoyed that the customers kept buying them all so in a move to claim the MS Points for his own he hid them from the outside world.

Either that or he really dislikes the fact that people are buying them cheap...not sure.

[quote name='ferrari91169']He probably wanted to hoard them and his manager said he could only buy them after the day was over...and he probably got annoyed that the customers kept buying them all so in a move to claim the MS Points for his own he hid them from the outside world.

Either that or he really dislikes the fact that people are buying them cheap...not sure.[/QUOTE]

What sucks is I was going to buy like 5 of them and opted not to so other people here would have a crack at them. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Just picked up two 4000 point cards for $39.98 at the Microcenter in Marietta, GA.

Thank you so much OP!!!!!!!!!

confirmed to be 12.99 for 1600 point cards and 39.99 for 4000 point cards at the Radnor, PA Microcenter. The employee told me that a guy and his son were there when they opened and cleared them completely out, so sold out there.

[quote name='cloudmd23']Wouldn't not buying all of the cards be a better method of "hooking up the locals?"[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for rmb, he definitely doesn't screw over "hooking up the locals", but you still have a valid point, lol.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm in line at the Michogan store right now. No 4000s left but I got two of the 1600s for 9.99. As soon as I waslked away the asshole took them ALL off the shelf and walked to the back. Don't know why but that's probably not a good sign. They did have to manually override the price to 9.99.[/QUOTE]

what the heck? i was there at like 1:30 and they were marked 12.99. i guess they decided to increase the price. madison heights store had around 5 1600 point cards left for 12.99 each.

Leaving Tustin OC location. 1600 pts were marked at $9.99 and rang up at that price. They only had 3 on the shelf, grabbed all 3. They had 4000 PTA cards marked at $49.99. I didn't ask if the had any more 1600pts cards. Thanks OP!!!!!

Massachusetts had these cards at 10 and 20 price tag but $20 4000 ms pts were completely sold out since yesterday morning all bought by one customer. there was some $10 1600 ms pts but i just bought the last one. it was suppose to be a one day sale but they honor the price today.
finally, my first ymmv success ever. my target will simply take away all clearance games off shelve and donate to goodwill or something.

Also stopped at the westbury, ny store. They were all behind the counter, and the 4000 point cards were marked at $59.99?! from what I could make out.

Called them they said they had them but were regular price. Not going to bother going in and try to get them to override the system without any proof... learned my lesson from the Target version...

[quote name='Mikkey']went to the westbury, NY store, there were no signs of a mark down and they were out of 1600 pt. cards[/QUOTE]Sorry, might be my fault... they had some at 11AM, and the employee was shocked when he actually scanned them to see the price. Then the cashier guy was like "oh wow, I gotta get some of these" and he excitedly shared the news with one of other cashiers as he rang me up.

I got three 1600 cards, but there were definitely more on the rack. So either the employees got to the rest, or they just sold out through natural causes. There was no sign of the promotion in-store and the 1600 pt cards were marked at $24.99 (actual prices were $12.99 for 1600, $39.99 for 4000).

The 4000 point cards at the Westbury store may be labeled $60 but they rang up as $40. Or at least the orange ones do. Didn't try the white ones. Do the different colors have different SKUs or whatever?

BZChanboy: At most of the locations where people have had luck, the prices (9.99/19.99) are marked on the individual packages, with barcoded stickers. This was the case at the Houston location, and others who've had success have reported it as well.

[quote name='skizm']what the heck? i was there at like 1:30 and they were marked 12.99. i guess they decided to increase the price. madison heights store had around 5 1600 point cards left for 12.99 each.[/QUOTE]

That guy I mentioned probably took them to the back to reprice them or something. The tags on mine said $9.99 and they were in those giant plastic cases - the 9.99 tag was on the blister packaging inside, not the large exterior case itself.

Like BustaUppa at his store, I may be "at fault" for the MI store's prices going up since the guy was pretty surprised to see that price.

Still, 12.99 ain't bad at all and at least the employee didn't buy them all like I originally feared.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Sorry, might be my fault... they had some at 11AM, and the employee was shocked when he actually scanned them to see the price. Then the cashier guy was like "oh wow, I gotta get some of these" and he excitedly shared the news with one of other cashiers as he rang me up.

I got three 1600 cards, but there were definitely more on the rack. So either the employees got to the rest, or they just sold out through natural causes. There was no sign of the promotion in-store and the 1600 pt cards were marked at $24.99 (actual prices were $12.99 for 1600, $39.99 for 4000).[/QUOTE]

Ah ha! I knew something was up. When I asked for a price check the dude at the register refuses to do it. He insisted the sticker price was correct. "I scanned it this morning," he said. Very fishy! So I took the card to the front register and of course it rang up at a lower price. They musta hoarded all the 1600s.

bread's done
Back