Minecraft - Who else is playing?

Alright, sent the ips and whitelisted you guys. I see indignate was able to log on. Post in here if you guys experience any probs.

Yeah, didn't have any problems when I tried last night. I made a column of sand and then logged off cuz it was pretty late.

I'll probably jump on later today and mess around some more.

Great session today apollo. I sure did miss this game.

btw, anyone keen on the idea of having a CAG night where several of us get together and have an adventure?

Just shoutout which day(s) are most convenient for you and I'll try to sort it out.

I check every once in a while to see if anybody's on, but when I don't I usually just log off or go mess around in my own world so I'll definitely be up for any CAG nights.

I had a question about the server though. It seems that I can't use any thing that someone else built, like the door I tried to go through as I was running from a mob. I also can't seem to 'mine' anything around those areas as well. Is this normal; to prevent griefing or is something just up with me?

Hmm, i don't have anything like that intentionally implemented, but I'll go see what's up.

edit: Alright, just checked the problem, apparently, if you're not OP status, those anti-griefing measures take place. So i just OP'ed you indignate and apollo as well. Don't go crazy with power now, ya' hear

edit2: Looking more into the problem, and it might actually be a spawn related thing. I'll research this a little more.

edit3: Looks like it's the default spawn protection, which can't be disabled unless OP'ed or through the use of mods.

Also, with 1.9 coming out sometime soon, everyone ok with me creating a new world when it comes around?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if any of you guys weren't able to connect within the past couple hours, had my hands full on my machine.

But it's back up. Again, chime in and say which day is most convenient for you guys. Remember, the more the merrier.

Also, shoutout your favorite VoIP client (i.e. skype, ventrilo, etc.)

I have vent but I'd be fine getting another voice client if needed.
I don't really have a set schedule each week. Friday and Saturdays late- like 12:30AM EST I'd be down. Tuesdays around 5pm EST.
I'd work around other schedules if I could.
It might be easier to exchange Steam IDs too. That way we can check and see who's online and easily see if people are down for some creeper bashing.

Here I am:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/apollo_of_the_dead

Looking forward to the next update!

Hey guys, for now I'm going to put the server on hold at least until 1.9. Though if anyone wants to play multiplayer, I can always put it back up temporarily. Just contact me on steam

id: option.iv

[quote name='option.iv']Hey guys, for now I'm going to put the server on hold at least until 1.9. Though if anyone wants to play multiplayer, I can always put it back up temporarily. Just contact me on steam

id: option.iv[/QUOTE]

Keep me informed when you put it back up for 1.9 :)

[quote name='testisbest']I know we're all busy with Skyrim, but we need a CAG server! :)[/QUOTE]

Yes! I'm trying to find a balance between Skyrim and this since I JUST started playing. But I'm very disappointed we don't have a server. What does it actually take to make a server?

i can run a server. i literally never turn my computer off unless i'm forced to restart for an update or something. i'll have one up in a bit.

i forgot how much of a pain in the ass minecraft is about ports. its hamachi or nothin people.

also, do you want pvp on or off? also is everyone on the legit or do i need to set the check to false?

PM for hamachi network details.

Bah, Hamachi is annoying. Talk to option.iv.
He set up a server a while ago without it.
Ha and I wouldn't mind knowing either. May come in handy at some point.

I know how to do it. I'm just not going to open up my ports for potential threats when I could just use hamachi and only worry about CAGs instead of everyone with my IP.

How to make server:
Download the server.exe from minecraft site.
Run it.
Congratulations you've made a server.

Edit the server properties file as you see fit.
Change world name, seed, pvp, whitelist, etc.
Open up port 25565 and start giving out your external IP.

Also if you do this you'll have to keep a whitelist if you don't want randoms. Edit your whitelist.txt with the names you want. If you use hamachi you don't have to do this since only the people in your network will be able to connect anyway.

If you are willing to take the risk and will keep your server up 24/7 and have a decent connection please do so. I'll play on it.

Will a web hosting company run a minecraft server? If so, maybe I'll do that for CAG - I have a hosting account I want to keep alive, but haven't really had time to do anything with it.

If I can set it up, do any of you want to help mod it? Because I'm a complete noob, I just want to have someplace to learn the game.

Edit: Just checked with my hosting company, and unfortunately I can't do it with my current account. Guess I'll just have to look around for a server that can tolerate noobs like me. I would be open to this idea in the future tho, if anyone wants to chip in for a CAG server.

You know I play this all the time, but I've never played the multiplayer. I'm always content just doing a local world and building away. How does the multiplayer work? Different people in one world? And do you fight or can you steal other's stuff?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']You know I play this all the time, but I've never played the multiplayer. I'm always content just doing a local world and building away. How does the multiplayer work? Different people in one world? And do you fight or can you steal other's stuff?[/QUOTE]

It really depends on which server you're playing on. Some servers are pretty vanilla, so the game is the same as single player would be but obviously with more players.
Other servers have different mods that range anywhere from pvp factions to shops to an economy. There is pvp in a lot of servers and some offer chest protection so your stuff don't get nabbed.

$27 seems like a lot, does this game ever go on sale?
(Yeah I'm sure it's worth it for those who love it, but I don't know if I'm one of those people or not yet.)

[quote name='porieux']$27 seems like a lot, does this game ever go on sale?
(Yeah I'm sure it's worth it for those who love it, but I don't know if I'm one of those people or not yet.)[/QUOTE]

i believe there is a free out-dated version that people can try out/play now that minecraft is officially released

^^I'm pretty sure the price is because it's based on the Euro.

Anyway, I have a question. I'm trying to get a server happening for me and my friend, but we seem to have problems setting it up. Regardless of who sets it up, we can't connect to the other person. It'll say stuff like "can't reach server" or "connection timed out." We tried both using our IP and a hamachi server. We also tried using both the server.exe and the server.jar. Neither worked. Any suggestions?

Port forwarded 25565 for minecraft? Also, since 1.1 came out (how it went from 1.9 to 1.1, I don't know), I'm willing to host a server at least on the weekends and if there's enough support, I'll put it up for a CAG Night/Day.

Alright, assuming you're not on Hamachi, type in Minecraft 127.0.0.1 for the server address on the computer that's hosting. See if that works, if not...

Also check the server properties and be sure they look something like this.
#Minecraft server properties
#Sat Jan 14 06:42:32 PST 2012
allow-nether=true
level-name=world
enable-query=false
allow-flight=false
server-port=25565
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=
server-ip=
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=true
spawn-animals=true
online-mode=true
pvp=true

Also, be sure that Windows firewall allows Minecraft or is turned off on both your regular network and the Hamachi network.

Also the times when I received that unable to connect message was because minecraft.net was down whiich is required for online play. Though I doubt they'd be down for maintenance this long.

And when dealing with Hamachi you'll have two networks. So you might have to restart your computer or adapters. I assume you have Windows, so you can do this by repairing each adapter or going into command prompt and doing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. But I'd say first try to establish some sort of connection without Hamachi first before doing this.

So is anyone gonna set up a Minecraft server? I'm building a world legitimately and would like a place to just relax with some other folks and mindlessly build as well.

I might hop on if someone is making one. But honestly the second I finish something cool and someone comes along and destroys it for the lulz I'd be done.

[quote name='Waughoo']I might hop on if someone is making one. But honestly the second I finish something cool and someone comes along and destroys it for the lulz I'd be done.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that would be the case. It'd be great to have just a nice casual server for people to play on but like option said it doesn't seem that there is enough people to warrant a server unfortunately :cry:

Well I would be interested in a CAG server. And I might be able to sway my brother into picking the game back up again.
But realistically, I'd only be able to play on the weekends. And not much since I should be spending that time studying for a cert i need to take.

I'd play on a CAG server, but honestly, my interest in Minecraft is so off/on at times, I doubt I'd be on consistently.

So I'm bumping this thread because I've been messing around with setting up a server and think I've at least got the basics down.

I'm wondering if there's any interest in a CAG night. It would just be a basic survival server with some spawn protection. I'll be around tomorrow evening so just post in here if you're interested and we'll set something up.

I dont think anyone made one?

Honestly though, I'd really be into a Feed The Beast server.  I just installed that a couple weeks ago, and it's got so much added to it it's insane.

I would throw a couple dollars to someone if they maintained a minecraft server.

btw my friend uses mcprohosting.com and they are very reliable and support mods.

I wouldn't mind playing on a CAG server especially if it was a feed the best server. The server I am on right now is just always full of drama that it just sickens me. I need a place to get away from these "youtubers".

What is feed the beast and how do these servers work?

I've only ever played solo, building a world until I get tired and starting over.
If you rent a server you are given an IP address along with the port number. You put the string into the multiplayer section of the menu as a new server and you can connect.

I have no idea about ftb since I mostly play on 360 but I don't have a problem with any mod provided it doesn't change the vanilla functions of mc.

Once I get paid, I'm probably going to rent a server from mcpro. I'm going to probably go with the 18 person one because I doubt many people will play on it anyway but if support increases or people donate to the cost, I would gladly upgrade.

bread's done
Back