MLB 09: The Show CAG League - WEEK 7 STANDINGS! READ POST #1065!!!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'd like to have somewhere around 30...but it's really going to depend on how many teams we've got. It really just multiplies based on the number of games in a series, so with 15 teams, 2 game series would give us 28 games and 3 game series would give us 42. I'll probably put that to a vote once we get all the teams confirmed.[/quote]

Oh there gunna be series now for online league play. So u play the same guy one week, like 2 or 3 times with using ur rotations. Hopefully fatigue will be apart of it too so people will be forced to use some of their bench players when ur everyday starters are running out gas.

Wow. 19 teams deep... why do I have a feeling there are going to be lots of flakeouts. Plus the fantasy draft is going to take approx. 10 years.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Wow. 19 teams deep... why do I have a feeling there are going to be lots of flakeouts. Plus the fantasy draft is going to take approx. 10 years.[/quote]

Well, these are preliminary sign ups for a reason. I tried to anticipate an initial surge of excitement. I'll find out who's for real in about a week or so.

Yo dude... is it too late to get in? I was in last years league and was active playing every game.

PSN: Killsbury
Aim:Steggermeister

really hoping to get in this with the brewers... please PM me and let me know if possible/already have game in hand if you need sum1 to play a few gaems b4 league can be created.

-Mike

[quote name='BasketCase1080']Yo dude... is it too late to get in? I was in last years league and was active playing every game.

PSN: Killsbury
Aim:Steggermeister

really hoping to get in this with the brewers... please PM me and let me know if possible/already have game in hand if you need sum1 to play a few gaems b4 league can be created.

-Mike[/quote]

You realize the plan is to do a fantasy draft right? No actual rosters...and for that matter, we're going to do a lottery for team selection. With this many people playing, it's really the only fair way. If you're cool with that, I"ll add you. Let me know.

How is the online play this year? I tried to play in last year's league, but the lag was so horrible that I just couldn't play online at all and had to drop out.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']You realize the plan is to do a fantasy draft right? No actual rosters...and for that matter, we're going to do a lottery for team selection. With this many people playing, it's really the only fair way. If you're cool with that, I"ll add you. Let me know.[/QUOTE]

sounds cool/im down... would it be possible to switch with whoever gets the brewers if they dont want the team :D Honestly I just wanna be able to use the retro jerseys. Let me know when the draft is scheduled for.

by the way... CST

[quote name='BasketCase1080']sounds cool/im down... would it be possible to switch with whoever gets the brewers if they dont want the team[/quote]

I'm pretty sure we are going to draw out the order which teams are picked. I don't think we are going to just be randomly assigned a team if thats what you meant by your post.

So there's a good chance you could get an early pick and still get the brew crew.

I'm interested in participating in the CAG league if there's still room. Haven't played many baseball games recently but I've been enjoying MLB 09. Thursday through Saturday (and every other Wednesday) before midnight are the only times I can't play due to work.

PSN: GenDV138
Time Zone: EST

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I'm pretty sure we are going to draw out the order which teams are picked. I don't think we are going to just be randomly assigned a team if thats what you meant by your post.

So there's a good chance you could get an early pick and still get the brew crew.[/quote]

You are correct, sir. Maybe I should have explained that better. Yeah, the lottery will just be to determine the selection order. The only reason somebody won't get a team they wanted would be because someone ahead of them in the order also wanted that team (which will solve the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Mets, etc. dilemma).

I'm hoping to still be in this, but I'll probably suck. I can't get the system to work in anything other than standard def. I haven't opened my game yet for that reason, but I played the demo and sucked at it.

I'm going to have to get a whole new fucking TV to be able to use the PS3 in high def. It will take 7-14 days to receive my Best Buy Mastercard in order to be able to make 36 months of interest free monthly payments on said TV.

fwiw -
no lag for me 5pm est Thursday - nice smooth game
will get more time to play this weekend
keith

edit:
got in a couple more - one got dropped - very laggy, another no problem at all
I like the fact that you can check the connection between players before you begin...

add me if you want to get in an exhibition game ... cusemanKeith on psn

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to update on this...it seems some people are getting lag, while others are having none. To me, I'd think that would indicate either a weak internet connection, or just bad timing. If we keep getting fairly solid reports over the next week or so, we'll probably be able to start on time (March 17th).

Also, for those of you interested, I finished my GIGANTIC sound pack that I've been working on with the guys from Operation Sports. Basically, since The Show allows you to set "starting points" for the player walk up music, I was able to join 3 clips into one to triple the amount of players you could have music for. I also boosted the volumes for every track that needed it, so they're all nice and loud now. I'm uploading the file now, and I'll post a link to my thread on OS when I have it up. It's really cool though, and adds a lot to the game.

EDIT: Here you guys go! MLB 09 Player Walk Up Music

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Matt Young']

I'm going to have to get a whole new fucking TV to be able to use the PS3 in high def. It will take 7-14 days to receive my Best Buy Mastercard in order to be able to make 36 months of interest free monthly payments on said TV.[/QUOTE]

Your dedication to getting this game to work is quite impressive.

I think my copy came in today (they've also called once and when I got there it had been sold) so I'm going to go try and grab it later or tomorrow, not sure which.

Did when have a hard date for when this league will be starting? 19 is a scary high number, also I'm a little concerned about what I've been hearing about the lag so hopefully we can wait until a patch came out (I heard people saying it's a rumor they might release one) to start the league because there is nothing worse than online lag in a baseball game.

Quick questions:

1- When will we be able to pick which team we're going to use? I understand the fantasy draft, but when will we pick the team we'll be playing as? Maybe we could start soon, going down the list giving people priority. Would be cool to know who we're gonna field a team with.

2- If someone flakes out is there a way to make the computer play as that team? Or have another user take it over? Just curious how the online leagues work, haven't done one with this game before.

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']Quick questions:

1- When will we be able to pick which team we're going to use? I understand the fantasy draft, but when will we pick the team we'll be playing as? Maybe we could start soon, going down the list giving people priority. Would be cool to know who we're gonna field a team with.

2- If someone flakes out is there a way to make the computer play as that team? Or have another user take it over? Just curious how the online leagues work, haven't done one with this game before.[/quote]

We won't be going down the list giving people priority. Two lotteries will be held. One to determine team selection order, and one to determine drafting order. Team selection will come first. Personally, I'm not in any great hurry because I never planned on starting the league until AT LEAST the 17th.

For one thing, some people are stil having trouble with the servers, so I want to give SCEA as much time to straighten that out as possible. More importantly, we currently have 21 people signed up for this league. I've never seen a league work with more than 12 people. If waiting 2 weeks causes some of those 21 to lose interest, then we don't want them in the league. I want to know how many people are actually in this league before we select teams.

As far as people flaking out, I haven't looked at the actual league structure yet this year, but the way it worked last year is you could drop people from the league, and everybody who was scheduled to play them just got a win for that game. It made for some very arbitrary records, and the more games don't get played, the less fun the league becomes. This point also brings me back to my reason for wanting to wait to find out who's really committed. I hope that makes sense.

[quote name='gleditts']I would like to be in if room still available.

PSN: gleditts
Time Zone: CST

I would like the Astros if possible.[/quote]

All right, I'm sorry to use you as an example man, but this has come up several times, and it's starting to wear thin on my nerves. If you're going to even bother signing up for this league, at least have the decency to read the OP (let alone the post directly above you). How many times do I have to say that we will pick teams based on a lottery? Telling everybody what team you want has no bearing on whether or not you will get them. I would like to be the Yankees, but voicing that is irrelevant considering the method of selection we are using.

I'm just going to assume you at least know we're doing a fantasy draft. So, even if you have the Astros, you won't have their full roster. Again, sorry to make an example out of you. I just want people to read the OP before claiming they want to participate. That's the exact kind of stuff that causes 99% of leagues to fail.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I'll join but i may not make it to every game.
PSN- gbpackers94
TZ- EST[/quote]

Exactly what we're NOT looking for. But thank you for playing...

:roll:

People just keep hammering my point home.

On a positive note, I played 3 games online today, and had virtually no lag. There was maybe one hiccup in each game, but nothing close to what most of us experienced last year. Does it mean anything? Absolutely not. But I'm taking it as a good sign. If things stay the same, I think we can get the league started by the 17th. I'll be confirming players this week, so we should have a final member count by this coming weekend. :)

[quote name='gbpackers94']I'll join but i may not make it to every game.
PSN- gbpackers94
TZ- EST[/quote]

post of the year?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']On a positive note, I played 3 games online today, and had virtually no lag. There was maybe one hiccup in each game, but nothing close to what most of us experienced last year. Does it mean anything? Absolutely not. But I'm taking it as a good sign. If things stay the same, I think we can get the league started by the 17th. I'll be confirming players this week, so we should have a final member count by this coming weekend. :)[/QUOTE]

Sweet finally got my copy yesterday so starting on the 17th should give me plenty of time to get ready!

Bumping this to give everyone every possible notification that I need confirmation if you intend to play in this league. I have updated the OP and PMs have been sent out to everyone. Many of you have already responded to me, and I appreciate that. We've also already lost a couple guys, so we're down to 19.

That may or may not affect the scheduling format, depending on if we go with 18 or 20 teams. I want to give everybody a chance to vote for their preference before I make any decisions, but I will say that most of you are in agreement thus far. I'm pumped to get this league going guys! I'm even considering making a video for the draft lottery, haha :)

[quote name='jza1218']I'll play, if you'll have me.

CAG name=jza1218
PSN ID=statnut
Time zone=EST[/quote]

Have you read the OP? (especially the now "spoilered" part?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Have you read the OP? (especially the now "spoilered" part?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Looking forward to the fantasy draft part. I've played 3 games, and for the most part, they are fairly lag free.

[quote name='jza1218']Yup. Looking forward to the fantasy draft part. I've played 3 games, and for the most part, they are fairly lag free.[/quote]

All right, sounds good. I'll add you to the list.

Im sending my ps3 in for repair so i may not be able to make it
hopefully it is a quick turnaround im just waiting on the coffin

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I'm going to try to play one more online game and see how it runs for me. It didn't go so good the first time around.[/QUOTE]

Not good. I was swinging at air and balls were just flying out of the park. I haven't played another one since then, for some reason I'm having a hard time getting a game.

[quote name='FrankySox']Not good. I was swinging at air and balls were just flying out of the park. I haven't played another one since then, for some reason I'm having a hard time getting a game.[/quote]

Yeah I was trying to swing at balls with correct timing and it kept saying I was way too early on the swing feedback. Then I started swinging way late and was getting hits.

Well, it looks like we've got a couple guys who are uncertain right now. PureApathy is still sorting out his connection, MattYoung is still sorting out his TV, m_d_amore's PS3 is broken, and I never got confirmation from archibishopthedoge. I'm really not sure what to do about all this other than push back the start of the league about another week. I'm open to suggestions though.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Yeah I was trying to swing at balls with correct timing and it kept saying I was way too early on the swing feedback. Then I started swinging way late and was getting hits.[/QUOTE]

I've found that playing with classic 1/4 guess pitch is a big help. Just my opinion.

[quote name='jza1218']I've found that playing with classic 1/4 guess pitch is a big help. Just my opinion.[/quote]

They're talking about online lag though. Making hitting easier for everybody won't really solve the problem.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']They're talking about online lag though. Making hitting easier for everybody won't really solve the problem.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm just lucky, in that thus far, the lag hasnt been that bad for me. Nowhere near as bad as last year.

[quote name='jza1218']I guess I'm just lucky, in that thus far, the lag hasnt been that bad for me. Nowhere near as bad as last year.[/quote]

Same here. *knock on wood* Honestly, I've had to almost pinch myself because it hasn't felt any different than playing offline. I feel like I'm dreaming.

I played a few games today online, horrible horrible lag. Which was weird because the first 5 I played were glorious. I can say one thing, I'm sick of playing the Red Sox and Yankees all the time.. last year people would pick mediocre teams and it was much more fun. All the Red Sox guys do is bury fastballs down and in with Beckett and its ridiculous. So annoying.

[quote name='talonthrawn']I played a few games today online, horrible horrible lag. Which was weird because the first 5 I played were glorious. I can say one thing, I'm sick of playing the Red Sox and Yankees all the time.. last year people would pick mediocre teams and it was much more fun. All the Red Sox guys do is bury fastballs down and in with Beckett and its ridiculous. So annoying.[/quote]

Honestly, I've been finding playing with randoms on PS3 even less enjoyable than playing with people on Xbox Live. Live gets such a bad rap for being filled with douchebags, but almost every game I've played of The Show I get some asshole rushing his pitches (I thought they were supposed to have fixed that this year?)

And last night, it was beyond the point of not giving me a chance to get any sort of lead with my runner. It was like the guy was making a conscious effort to keep me from even having time to guess the pitch. It felt like I was struggling the entire game against somebody trying to cheat me, and by the time we got to the 5th inning, I found myself not having fun and just wishing the game would be over (the score was 0-0). I ended up winning 2-1, but I don't enjoy the game when people play like that...which seems to be mostly what I run into online.

As far as the Yankees/Red Sox issue, I'm a Yankee fan. I've been a Yankee fan for 25 years. I get tired of having to choose teams I don't care about just to find someone who will play me. I think it's ridiculous that people are STILL afraid to play the Yankees online. Honestly, their pitching isn't that great, and their defense is TERRIBLE. They are VERY beatable if you know how to pitch. I really hope everybody here gets their stuff sorted out soon. I want to get this league started so I can actually play the game more.

bread's done
Back