MLB 09: The Show CAG League - WEEK 7 STANDINGS! READ POST #1065!!!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No offense, but can you just post the draft list so I don't have to watch an eight minute video to find out a simple answer?[/quote]

Jesus Christ...talk about a fucking party pooper. Apparently, you don't know how to skip ahead in a video either? Just trying to make things a little more fun. Lighten up.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm not angry or anything, just asking a simple question/request.[/quote]

And your simple request would defeat the entire purpose/effort of me making the video. I'm sorry. I just think that's a dick thing to ask for a very solvable "problem". It's fine if you think the video is a waste of time, but don't piss on everybody elses parade. Just skip to the end.

Thanks, Destro.

Sorry, n8. I'm not telling people not to watch the video, that it's a waste of time, or trying shit on anybody. Just asking for the cliffnotes version since your PM didn't mention anything about a video of the list in the OP. I apologize if you took that as some kind of intentional dick move on my part to just be an asshole to everyone here, but that wasn't the intended message. I appreciate the effort that you put in to make the video though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Thanks, Destro.

Sorry, n8. I'm not telling people not to watch the video, that it's a waste of time, or trying shit on anybody. Just asking for the cliffnotes version since your PM didn't mention anything about a video of the list in the OP. I apologize if you took that as some kind of intentional dick move on my part to just be an asshole to everyone here, but that wasn't the intended message. I appreciate the effort that you put in to make the video though.[/quote]

It's cool man...and I understand your point. It's not the sort of thing that everybody needs or will enjoy. It just seemed like something you could have solved for yourself in the time it took you to post that message. Regardless, you know where your pick is now.

I hope other people can at least enjoy the video though. Like I said, I was just trying to promote participation and keep everybody interested and excited about playing in the league. Making it as "realistic" as possible seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'm ready with my choice, hopefully I can make it tomorrow. I got a pretty high pick so that's cool. Thanks for the cool video N8.

I think you should go back Nate, and in alphabetical order, pick the teams out of a hat. So, put everyone's PSN tag alphabetically, and whoever's first, just pull a name from a hat, and they get that team. this is gonna take all week I fear.

We could just go the NFL Draft route, where if you don't make your pick in a reasonable amount of time, the following teams can make their picks in order until that original team stops messing around.

[quote name='Wpark83']I think you should go back Nate, and in alphabetical order, pick the teams out of a hat. So, put everyone's PSN tag alphabetically, and whoever's first, just pull a name from a hat, and they get that team. this is gonna take all week I fear.[/quote]

I really don't want to do that. Here's my issue right now. Guys who don't check this thread (let alone their PM's) regularly ARE NOT going to be good for this league anyway. Basketcase was in FriskyTanuki's league last year, and was allegedly very active, so hopefully Frisky can vouch for him.

The biggest change I would consider implementing is that if 24 hours passes between picks, you lose your spot in the draft. I don't want to make that move just yet though because I didn't come up with it before the draft began, so that really wouldn't be fair.

HOWEVER, if he logs into CAG again, and ignores my PM and this thread, he'll get bumped. He last logged on at 3:01 AM, so maybe he'll get on sometime this evening and get his pick taken care of. I'm trying my best to be fair to everybody, but it really shouldn't be this difficult.

I'll never understand what compels people to sign up for a league and then disappear. I'm immensely happy with my decision to kick out that archibishopthedoge guy, who initially expressed interest in playing, because he STILL hasn't been on CAG since March 3rd. At this point, that's long enough to presume death!

Anyway, I really hope Basketcase gets on soon and makes his pick. Honestly though, getting all the teams selected ASAP isn't a terribly pressing issue because m_d_amore still doesn't have his PS3 back yet, so we wouldn't be able to move on to the player draft anyway. I know I originally wanted to do that tomorrow, but even if the rest of the teams got picked tonight, that still wouldn't happen. We just gotta take things one step at a time.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']We could just go the NFL Draft route, where if you don't make your pick in a reasonable amount of time, the following teams can make their picks in order until that original team stops messing around.[/quote]

That's actually a really good idea. I was thinking of just throwing him to the back of the line, but more than likely, that would probably make him just quit the league. I still want to give him another chance to sign on (and subsequently back off) before I do anything, but if that happens without him making a pick, we'll move on to your pick. After that, we'll continue down the list, so #4 will be free to pick, and so on. Basketcase will be free to make his pick at any time, but if literally every other person chooses their team before he checks back in, then that's just the way it is.

Great idea Frisky! You're really showing your commissioner experience there! ;)

dude, no need to be so testy... shit...

I looked at your list on the OP and it looked like I was to pick 14th so I was waiting...

Shit... w/e in that case I will take the Brewers.

and i mean shit.. i gave alternative means of contacting me as well, obviously i wasnt gonna flake out... the video/list on the op was confusing.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']dude, no need to be so testy... shit...

I looked at your list on the OP and it looked like I was to pick 14th so I was waiting...

Shit... w/e in that case I will take the Brewers.

and i mean shit.. i gave alternative means of contacting me as well, obviously i wasnt gonna flake out... the video/list on the op was confusing.[/quote]

I can't even respond to this. Biting my tongue...congrats, you have the Brewers. Team #3, you're up next.

I'm a little pissed that certain people have taken it upon themselves to decide how the league should be run. I'm not going to go around praising myself, but last I checked, I've been the one maintaining this league, and I've made personal efforts to keep people informed and involved, as best I can. If my efforts are flawed, or not good enough, then someone else is more than welcome to step up and run the league themselves.

Obviously, we will not always all agree on certain decisions that are made, but there has to be a recognition of who's place it is to make those decisions. Personally, I feel it is easy to throw grievances around when you're not the one responsible for keeping things going. However, if someone else feels they can do a better job, I invite them to have at it. But I refuse to have my time and effort undermined.

Seriously, I think you're overreacting. The video is a cool idea, and I cant imagine what went into putting that together. But its 8 minutes, and if you're a not patient enough, its easy to misinterpret the order. I think alot of people were just trying to make suggestions because they are anxious to get going. I suggest everyone take a sec, chill, and remember its the internet.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Seriously? I don't need to be in this league that badly, so I'm out of here. Good luck to everyone else that's in the league.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I don't want to waste my time just to have dumb fucks piss and moan about what they don't like. If somebody else wants to, knock yourself out.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Seriously? I don't need to be in this league that badly, so I'm out of here. Good luck to everyone else that's in the league.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I don't want to waste my time just to have dumb fucks piss and moan about what they don't like. If somebody else wants to, knock yourself out.

[quote name='jza1218']Seriously, I think you're overreacting. The video is a cool idea, and I cant imagine what went into putting that together. But its 8 minutes, and if you're a not patient enough, its easy to misinterpret the order. I think alot of people were just trying to make suggestions because they are anxious to get going. I suggest everyone take a sec, chill, and remember its the internet.[/quote]

Basketcase thought he was #14 because he was the 14th person to sign up. Blaming the video is a retarded scape goat for not knowing what was going on. The suggestions didn't bother me at all. I even applauded Frisky for his. Since there's no point in sugar-coating anymore, Keith pissed me off by posting a list that I explicitly asked to not be posted. That's undermining.

I'm being petty about it, no doubt, but it wasn't his list to post. Yes, this is the internet, but there's still time and effort involved. I'm either running the league or I'm not running it. That's all there is to it. You guys can still do what you want and have your league. I just don't really care to be in it. But with all these great ideas kicking around, you shouldn't have any trouble finding somebody to run it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']My thoughts exactly. I don't want to waste my time just to have dumb fucks piss and moan about what they don't like. If somebody else wants to, knock yourself out.

Basketcase thought he was #14 because he was the 14th person to sign up. Blaming the video is a retarded scape goat for not knowing what was going on. The suggestions didn't bother me at all. I even applauded Frisky for his. Since there's no point in sugar-coating anymore, Keith pissed me off by posting a list that I explicitly asked to not be posted. That's undermining.

I'm being petty about it, no doubt, but it wasn't his list to post. Yes, this is the internet, but there's still time and effort involved. I'm either running the league or I'm not running it. That's all there is to it. You guys can still do what you want and have your league. I just don't really care to be in it. But with all these great ideas kicking around, you shouldn't have any trouble finding somebody to run it.[/QUOTE]

Wow.

Yeah I think everyone needs to take a deep breath, and relax a bit.

N8 is going out of his way to drum up interest in the league, especially since most of these leagues fail due to people who sign up, then basically can't commit the time to play, or just decide they don't care to finish it out, be it because they have a terrible record, or they buy another game, or they just get tired of lag problems or how other people play.

I understand Frisky's first comment was innocent, but while it may be an 8 minute video to watch, I'm sure it took N8 20times that just to produce the thing, the least we can do is watch it. Not to mention, the actual league itself could take around 40 hours of your time to commit.

It's my opinion N8's been one of the better people on CAG to run leagues, and I appreciate his efforts. He doesn't have to take the extra time. Frisky also ran a good league last year. I've been in 3 others that have been a disaster, and even the GM would say things like, I just don't have time to do this or that. Well... it takes extra time. So I really can't blame N8 here, he doesn't want to waste time to get people interested if they are just gonna blow it off.

But again, everyone needs to just simmer down a tad. These are not personal shots.

I say we should move forward from this minute on. Respect the things N8 adds to the league to get it active, and if there has to be a discussion on something, let's just keep it polite and thought out. If Frisky wants to drop out, that sucks, I guess we have one guy waiting in the wings that can join in his place, but let's not now make this a situation where people all start to bail. I think it was a misunderstanding that quickly got out of hand.

I understand the confusion between the list in the OP and the video...if you don't really read through you can mistake that list for the team selection order. And I also understand people not wanting to watch an 8 minute video for something they can get in a list.

But I appreciate N8's commitment to make things entertaining and exciting. I think people just responded/reacted too quickly and harshly.

Just to clarify that I'm not overreacting to the situation, I'm just tired of drama in leagues, baseball leagues in particular for whatever reason that it mostly happens there over others I've been in. I'm just not interested in a league where any number of small things can cause such big reactions over nothing when people should just get over themselves and not take everything so seriously. Instead of taking on months of this, I'm opting out to say "No, thanks." and moving on.

And just so this isn't taken as any kind of insult, I watched the video and it was pretty cool. I'd have stuck with a simpler method, but it's cool that you went all out on it, n8. I never meant to diss the video or the time put into making it, but being flexible is a good quality for commissioners to have.

Well, screw it. I guess I undermined the league by posting the list so that we could hopefully get teams selected and get going. I do think you'd find it difficult to find a post where I've been derogatory or anything less than supportive and complimentary.

I've sat back and watched people bitch and moan about this thing and that this year and last, and I guess it's not worth it for me to try to be the calming voice only to get pm'd an angry note and then called out on here too.

Clearly, as I stated, the video was cool - sorry if you paid $20 to do it and people didn't watch it, or whatever. I was merely trying to help get things done, since the amount of effort and time complaining about people seemed excessive.

If this is going to happen over every little thing, count me out too. I play fair and just for fun. I appreciate people's efforts but don't appreciate all the drama. I will delete the list I posted, so if you already read it, please try to forget that it ever happened.

Keith

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just to clarify that I'm not overreacting to the situation, I'm just tired of drama in leagues, baseball leagues in particular for whatever reason that it mostly happens there over others I've been in. I'm just not interested in a league where any number of small things can cause such big reactions over nothing when people should just get over themselves and not take everything so seriously. Instead of taking on months of this, I'm opting out to say "No, thanks." and moving on.

And just so this isn't taken as any kind of insult, I watched the video and it was pretty cool. I'd have stuck with a simpler method, but it's cool that you went all out on it, n8. I never meant to diss the video or the time put into making it, but being flexible is a good quality for commissioners to have.[/quote]

Again, I completely agree with you. Honestly, I have no problem with the way you did anything. Yeah, I disagreed with your request, but I told you why, we sorted it out, and moved on. Then the thing with Basketcase popped up...everybody started calling for his head because he wasn't making his pick, and I tried coming up with something that would appease everyone (which your suggestion even helped with).

Then he comes in, and basically blames everything on me for not making his pick. If the video really wasn't showing up in his browser I can understand being confused, but I've said like 800 times that we were doing a lottery, so thinking his pick would be where he signed up is a bit off too. I considered going into all that with him in my response, but thought better than starting crap with somebody else. I confirmed his pick, and was ready to move on to the next team.

Then, Keith just kinda blindsided me and posted the entire list. Regardless of what his intentions were, I still don't think it was his place to do that. Obviously, I could have gone that route from the beginning. I could have put in minimal effort, posted a simple list, not bothered to PM anybody letting them know it was up, and just allow things to progress at their natural pace. Anybody who thinks we'd get through the season relying on people to just "keep up with the thread" is kidding themselves. I wanted to make an effort to be more involved, and I just catch hell for it. So, yeah, I'd rather not go through months of this either.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='melokeith']Well, screw it. I guess I undermined the league by posting the list so that we could hopefully get teams selected and get going. I do think you'd find it difficult to find a post where I've been derogatory or anything less than supportive and complimentary.

I've sat back and watched people bitch and moan about this thing and that this year and last, and I guess it's not worth it for me to try to be the calming voice only to get pm'd an angry note and then called out on here too.

Clearly, as I stated, the video was cool - sorry if you paid $20 to do it and people didn't watch it, or whatever. I was merely trying to help get things done, since the amount of effort and time complaining about people seemed excessive.

If this is going to happen over every little thing, count me out too. I play fair and just for fun. I appreciate people's efforts but don't appreciate all the drama. I will delete the list I posted, so if you already read it, please try to forget that it ever happened.

Keith[/quote]

Yeah, I've never had a problem with you, which is why I was really surprised. My biggest problem with it was that Frisky already asked me to post the list, I gave him my reasons for not wanting to, we reached an understanding...and then you posted it anyway. I'm sorry. I just think you were completely in the wrong there. As you put it, if this is going to happen all season long, count me out. I do find it mildly amusing that rather than somebody else stepping up and taking over, everybody is just quitting.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I've never had a problem with you, which is why I was really surprised. My biggest problem with it was that Frisky already asked me to post the list, I gave him my reasons for not wanting to, we reached an understanding...and then you posted it anyway. I'm sorry. I just think you were completely in the wrong there. As you put it, if this is going to happen all season long, count me out. I do find it mildly amusing that rather than somebody else stepping up and taking over, everybody is just quitting.[/quote]

Well, looking back I see the request for a list, name calling, apologies all around, so I guess I should've realized that an understanding was reached. I apologize for overstepping my bounds. It just appeared as though people were still having issues w/selection so I thought I could help. It's pretty tough to say anything here without someone being offended, so I'll say this and hope it's not taken personally - I just want to play MLB in a league - I don't care about any extras (and it's not that I don't appreciate them and the efforts) - I just want to play. I liked the idea of a draft and wanted to get to it. What was happening was people were unaware of their position (for whatever reason) and people were flaming back and forth over it. This happened more than once, so I posted the list.

I would not take over the league because I don't have the time or patience for it. As I've said, I've never been anything but complimentary and have gotten all of my games in, so I'll just hope feelings aren't hurt too bad by anyone here, or I'll just move on.

Thanks again for your efforts.

So is this it? The league is over before it even started? Can't we just say fuck it and put all of this behind us? I'm sure we're all adults here. I think everyone is just eager to get the league started, that's all.

[quote name='melokeith']Well, looking back I see the request for a list, name calling, apologies all around, so I guess I should've realized that an understanding was reached. I apologize for overstepping my bounds. It just appeared as though people were still having issues w/selection so I thought I could help. It's pretty tough to say anything here without someone being offended, so I'll say this and hope it's not taken personally - I just want to play MLB in a league - I don't care about any extras (and it's not that I don't appreciate them and the efforts) - I just want to play. I liked the idea of a draft and wanted to get to it. What was happening was people were unaware of their position (for whatever reason) and people were flaming back and forth over it. This happened more than once, so I posted the list.

I would not take over the league because I don't have the time or patience for it. As I've said, I've never been anything but complimentary and have gotten all of my games in, so I'll just hope feelings aren't hurt too bad by anyone here, or I'll just move on.

Thanks again for your efforts.[/quote]

Keith, I appreciate you making that response. That's basically all I needed to hear. At this point, this is the only thing I'm willing to do. If anyone wants to continue with the league, I'll keep it simple. This means no flashy presentations, no fancy graphics, no reminder messages to play games. If everybody is here to just play baseball, they should have no problem keeping up with the thread, and being responsible enough to make time to play their games. Nobody should need to be babysat.

Any reason for me to get upset about anything would be as a result of overinvesting my time and energy in the league. If I'm not doing that, there's nothing to get upset about. That's my "solution" to it anyway. As Supreme said, we're all adults. If everybody can keep up with their games, there shouldn't be any problems keeping the league active and moving along. It's up to you guys though. I'll even remove the video from the OP and replace it with a simple list to make sure everybody stays on the same page. Your call.

I want to play baseball, I've been ready for this league to start since the shiny wrapper came off the game. So, at this point, if we all agree to grow the fuck up like we should then great. If not, I can run the league if n8 really doesn't wanna do it. so whatever.

I think we can all agree to just move forward, I'd like N8 to continue with how he had planned on Commish'ing, but I can't blame him if he doesn't wanna do the little extras now. Since we have all hashed it out I think we are at a better understanding now.

Just read through the thread. If the league is done, then I guess I won't make my pick at #5.

If there is this much pissing/moaning just when picking teams, I don't even want to think how it will be when drafting our players...

I'm down and definitely still want to be part of this league. I also think N8 the GR8 should continue to run this since he's already set up rules and made the draft order and everything.

Xistence if you are still in I think it's your pick.

Well...if that means the majority is fine with keeping everything simple and moving forward, sure, xistence, it would be your pick. I PM'd Frisky to see if he still wants in. At this point, he would have Cleveland, and jza1218 has the Mets.

bread's done
Back