MLB 2007 World Series and Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ryanbph']well cashman gave damon 4 years at big money...not even 1/2 way thru he has be moved to lf....with the way he plays running into walls, and how often he plays injured. Take that with the fact the majority of his game is based off of speed, it was only a matter of time before it caught up to him

and lets not talk about theo's horrible free agent signings....jeremy giambi, matt clement (might have been ok if he wasn't hurt for 1 1/2 years on a 3 year contract), edgar renteria, julio lugo, and jd drew. Or his blunder with the normar trade. They were supposed to get a player to be named later when nomar and murton got traded to the cubs, but the redsox organization failed to complete it.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats the yanks for ya. i guess thats why they are in for another center fielder which is why the interest in Aarron Rowand is there. They will probably over pay him just like they did with Damon.

Yeah JD Drew and Julio Lugo look like a mere shadow of what they should be. Atleast they have power house prospects to erase them in the near future.

[quote name='dafoomie']Oh yeah, Dan Duquette's cousin. Giving Pedro 4 years is almost as bad.[/QUOTE]

yeah seriously, if you look at ESPN's starting rotation for the mets as of now...it sucks like ass.

Perez,Hernandez,Maine,Martinez,and than(pelfry,humber,or anyone else they can bring in)

I dont know the direction Omar wants the team to be in..but i bet Willie had no say in the Milledge trade and no say in anything that goes on...

The mets season of turmoil continues.

sox came to terms with timlin...1 year $3mill...He was great in 03/04, but let the guy go...Yes he is great in the clubhouse, but we have young power arms that need some exposure. Delcarmen was having a horrible year in AAA, before the callup and pitched very well for the big league club. They have 2 or 3 other bullpen guys in triple a/double a that need a chance to make the club. Craig hanson pitched slightly worse then delcarmen in AAA this year, but he had an excellent last month, and he pitched very well in the fall league. Timlin is an ok pitcher when he starts an inn, but he is horrible coming in with runners on base. Over 50% inherited runners have scored over the past 3 season with him.

[quote name='DomLando']Pettitte was 15-9 last year and right now is the only other reliable starter the Yankees had other than Wang. That is a blow if they lose him.[/quote]

if we brought pettite back somehow, we probably wouldnt pursue santana so desperately

well the yanks want petitte back, it is him that is holding that up. Sorta pulling a Clemans, do I retire? Do I come back? I want to spend time with my kids etc etc...That uncertainity is what is causing the yanks to pursue santana so aggressively. That and the fact the redsox are allegedly interested (not sure if it is a way to get the yanks to pay more for him, or if they really want him) keeps the yanks interested. They can't afford for there biggest rival to have 2 of the best fairly young (under 30) pitchers in the game locked up for 5 seasons.

Redsox allegedly going to offer arbitration to gagne. I would like to see him come back, I think it was a little bit of injury and a little bit pressing to much that cause some poor outings. His stuff was still there, just not the accuracy. The sox are assuming he will sign elsewhere and they will get a sandwich pick out of the deal.

petitte is set to return to the yanks in 08...

The yanks set a deadline for late monday night...I don't get why they are acting some strong in this. They also had said they wouldn't negotiate with arod if he opted out. We saw how that ended. One of the sons, also went on to say they made the best deal. Personally, I don't think hughes and melky are anywhere near the deal the redsox have allegedly offered.

I've always been a big supporter of if you can get an All-Star/MVP Talent for "potential" you always do it. Not to say Ellsbury isn't a stud, because he could be some day. But Johan Santana is one of the top's in the game, you gotta make the deal.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I've always been a big supporter of if you can get an All-Star/MVP Talent for "potential" you always do it. Not to say Ellsbury isn't a stud, because he could be some day. But Johan Santana is one of the top's in the game, you gotta make the deal.[/QUOTE]

its not like the sox are in need to make this deal. they already won without Johan and can do it again with the same exact personnel. Johan bolsters their odds but why sac a good CF when you dont really have to. Ellsbury gives them the stability at CF that the sox have been longing for. The last decent CF they had was damon and he was just all right.

i too agree with all-star for potential..but when you see potential have actual growth...its hard to deal for a guy your gonna get for atleast 1 year or max 7 years 180+million. It would be nice for the sox to have beckket and johan has a 1-2 punch but their team is so deep..they dont even need johan.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I've always been a big supporter of if you can get an All-Star/MVP Talent for "potential" you always do it. Not to say Ellsbury isn't a stud, because he could be some day. But Johan Santana is one of the top's in the game, you gotta make the deal.[/quote]

But all stars want all star money and it's cheaper to get 3-4 newer people and have them grow then buy an all star and watch him die.

[quote name='integralsmatic']its not like the sox are in need to make this deal. they already won without Johan and can do it again with the same exact personnel. Johan bolsters their odds but why sac a good CF when you dont really have to. Ellsbury gives them the stability at CF that the sox have been longing for. The last decent CF they had was damon and he was just all right.

i too agree with all-star for potential..but when you see potential have actual growth...its hard to deal for a guy your gonna get for atleast 1 year or max 7 years 180+million. It would be nice for the sox to have beckket and johan has a 1-2 punch but their team is so deep..they dont even need johan.[/quote]

I'm not saying they need to make the deal, shit, they could just stand pat, and they'd probably win the WS again, but giving up Ellsbury and Lester for Johan. Money isn't a problem for the Red Sox, seeing as how they have the 2nd biggest payroll, but with Johan + Beckett, that's an amazing staff right there. Also, this move could be made seeing as how Ortiz and Manny aren't getting any younger.

well in theory would could trade ellsbury and crisp...and become heavy hitters in the arron rowland contract talks

devil rays dumped dukes to nationals for a minor league pitcher

[quote name='ph33r m3']I'm not saying they need to make the deal, shit, they could just stand pat, and they'd probably win the WS again, but giving up Ellsbury and Lester for Johan. Money isn't a problem for the Red Sox, seeing as how they have the 2nd biggest payroll, but with Johan + Beckett, that's an amazing staff right there. Also, this move could be made seeing as how Ortiz and Manny aren't getting any younger.[/QUOTE]

thats true..and shilling and dmat at in the middle is pretty sick. they may not even need any offense than.

Looks like the D-Rays are gonna dump everyone...arent they trying to dump kazmir next?

schilling can't be trusted to pitch the full season. He has spent considerable time on the DL starting in 05. He is a avg number 3 pitcher now. IMO DiceK will have the breakout year, much like schilling did last year. But that is just my opinion and we might have an expensive #3 or #4 pitcher on our hands. Who knows if wakefield will be ready by spring training. The injury sounded bad during the playoffs. I don't know if he needed surgery or just rest.

Sox are getting close... They exchanged medical records on Lester and Santana last night, and they're meeting right now.

There are two packages on the table right now. First one is Ellsbury, Masterson, and Lowrie. Second is Lester, Coco, Masterson, and Lowrie. They're reportedly leaning towards the Lester package.

The Yankees last offer is Hughes, Cabrera, and one of Jeff Marquez, Alan Horne, or Austin Jackson.

The Twins love Ellsbury, and really like Lester and Masterson. They're leaning towards the Lester deal because they want a major league ready pitcher. They don't like Melky Cabrera at all, and they haven't liked any of the 3rd pieces the Yankees have offered, they're asking for Ian Kennedy and the Yankees refused.

the problem with the yanks offer, is that the minor league players won't be major league ready untill after 2008. Nothing against hughes, but he isn't as polished as a pitchers as lester is currently. I think melky has a bigger upside then cocco, but I also believe if you take cocco out of the patient hitting ball club like the redsox and let him be a free swinger that he was in clevand, he could be a .285 - .300 hitter for the next couple of years at dirt cheap money. I don't like the sox including a ss that is close to mlb ready in the deal. Lugo sucks and we are going to need a new ss in the next year or so.

other rumors as reported on weei. Not sure where they got the source info, but allegedly a deal has been struck for dan harren. He is allegedly going to arizona for connor jackson (the young 1b), and 1 or 2 pitchers. One of the other names started with a carlos, but I don't remeber the last name.

Allegedly the tigers and the marlins are close to working out a deal that would send caberra and dontrelle to the tigers for a slew of young prospects.

Wow, the Tigers got a helluva deal. That Maybin guy has the chance to be a stud, but jesus Cabrera and Willis?

[quote name='ph33r m3']Wow, the Tigers got a helluva deal. That Maybin guy has the chance to be a stud, but jesus Cabrera and Willis?[/quote]
wordd

Tigers got an amazing deal.

Maybin is good but struggled last year a bit. Miller had a rough time psychologically dealing with the major leagues and some scouts are questioning his ability to ever handle the pressure.

The Tigers, on the other hand, get a 24-year old all star at 3B and a 25-year old all star left-hander.

What astounds me is that, yet again, the AL just keeps getting better and better.

I remember rumors that the Marlins wanted Tim Lincecum for Cabrera, straight up. Hell no, I wouldn't do that, but Timmy + another pitcher for Cabrera and Willis...sign me up.

[quote name='Plinko']Tigers got an amazing deal.

Maybin is good but struggled last year a bit. Miller had a rough time psychologically dealing with the major leagues and some scouts are questioning his ability to ever handle the pressure.

The Tigers, on the other hand, get a 24-year old all star at 3B and a 25-year old all star left-hander.

What astounds me is that, yet again, the AL just keeps getting better and better.[/quote]

You are looking at this deal with Rose colored glasses. A Marlins fan could easily say that Willis isn't the same pitcher as 3 years ago and that only thing rising faster than Cabrera's star is his weight.

The Tigers gave up A LOT to get a good national league pitcher who had a very subpar 2007 and an outstanding hitter.

For the record, Cabrera is a stud. His top comps for his first 4 years in baseball.

21. Hank Aaron
22. Hank Aaron
23. Hank Aaron
24. Hank Aaron

Yeah, he's good

Great deal for the Tigers, sure they may be giving up a lot of potential, but their time to win is now, so why not get the good players while they can? The Tigers have definitely had the best off-season of any team so far.

[quote name='Plinko']Tigers got an amazing deal.

What astounds me is that, yet again, the AL just keeps getting better and better.[/QUOTE]

yeah but it was his first partial season in the bigs...any pitcher would be nervous. Miller will be the cornerstone of the Marlins for years to come. He is gonna be a stud...maybin and rabelo will be really good also. watch out for the marlins in 2 years...they will will one nasty young team.

Dontrelle is a shadow of his former self. he gave up the most homeruns in all of the majors and couldnt even make it past the 5th inning in some games. He pitched 100 pitches before he reached the middle of the game. Atleast when he is in Det, he wont be the center of attention so that could make him pitch alot better with less pressure....

Geez, so are the Tigers now the Marlins of 2003?

this prob is only for me and a couple other people here, but Iguchi has told phillies he would be willing to play 3rd if they want to re-sign him for a multi year deal

I fucking hate the Marlins management. The bullshit fire sales after World Series wins, that garbage with firing Joe Girardi...

fuck Jeff Loria, that stupid fucking art dealer of an owner.

Please oh please oh please, let somebody who knows what the fuck they're doing buy this team (Mark Cuban, please?).

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']I fucking hate the Marlins management. The bullshit fire sales after World Series wins, that garbage with firing Joe Girardi...

Please oh please oh please, let somebody who knows what the fuck they're doing buy this team (Mark Cuban, please?).[/quote]

my favorite marlin

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']I fucking hate the Marlins management. The bullshit fire sales after World Series wins, that garbage with firing Joe Girardi...

Please oh please oh please, let somebody who knows what the fuck they're doing buy this team (Mark Cuban, please?).[/QUOTE]

blame the state of florida for the fire sale. how can only 8,000 fans show up to every game...they couldnt push for a new stadium and Loria(as much of a jerk he is) cant gain more money to spend on the team.

I for one am happy about this deal..it gets two studs outta the NL East but on the flip side, it makes the AL that much stronger.

Mike Piazza is one my all time favorite met next to Ray Knight,Gary Carter, and Cleon Jones.

the tigers and the yanks will have the best hitting lineup. The yanks only got older, but most of them still can hit. Mag Ordonez is not as good of a hitter as he was last year. IMO he will drop back down to his usual numbers. The same can be said about posada.

allegedly the redsox talks have cooled...allegedly santana has stated he would only waive the no trade clause to the sox and yanks...with the yanks backing out...why should we bother...at approx $25 mill per season, how much higher could he go on the open market...why bother trading 3 - 4 solid young players for a guy you could sign next offseason for roughly the same money and without losing any young players...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Red-Sox-iffy-on-Santana;_ylt=AnCP3sxY2X2uZ1ws7MXO0YARvLYF?urn=mlb,56364

Red Sox iffy on Santana

By Jeff Passan
Wednesday, Dec 5, 2007 12:37 pm EST

andrew jones signed a 2 year 36.2 mill deal to play for the dodgers. That is a lot of money to a guy that hit in the .220's and deffense erroded last year.

[quote name='ryanbph']andrew jones signed a 2 year 36.2 mill deal to play for the dodgers. That is a lot of money to a guy that hit in the .220's and deffense erroded last year.[/QUOTE]

True but I'd rather pay Andruw Jones $18 million a year for 2 years rather than Torii Hunter, a vastly inferior player, $18 million a year for 5 years.

[quote name='ryanbph']the tigers and the yanks will have the best hitting lineup. The yanks only got older, but most of them still can hit. Mag Ordonez is not as good of a hitter as he was last year. IMO he will drop back down to his usual numbers. The same can be said about posada.[/QUOTE]

Mark my words, the Yankees won't make the playoffs next season. They've basically spent loads of money treading water and let go Joe Torre who was most responsible for making the playoffs last season while all the other playoff teams are getting better. Detroit is now very scary with very good starting pitching (Verlander, Willis and Bonderman) and a monster lineup with Cabrera nestled between Sheffield and Ordonez. I'll just never understand why they keep sticking with Todd Jones as their closer.

The Tigers made a great deal there. I think Willis was underrated (despite some awful starts) with some coaching, he could easily be a #2 starter. Cabrera is absolutely nasty. ESPN put up his #s so far compared to ARod through the same number of games played, and other than HRs, they are neck and neck.

I think Jones will definitely help the LA Dodgers out. He had a crappy year, but I've seen more remarkable comebacks.

I really hope now that the Sox get Santana for Lester/Coco/etc. I was not pleased when they initially discussed Lester & Jacoby, and I don't really want to give away Jacoby at all, but Lester (though I really like him as well), Coco and some prospects are a good deal for both teams (immediately for the Sox, and some great talent for the Twins in the coming years). The big issue is of course Santana's contract and a possible extension.

with the tigers and clevand, I would find it tough for the yanks to make the playoffs. They needed pitching and haven't addressed it. 3 rookies, most likely 1 will be solid, 1 will be up and down, and 1 won't cut it. They needed bullpen help as well, and haven't touched it yet. They have spent close to 1/2 billion dollars this offseason and they haven't improved there team yet this offseason.

Jones #'s have decreased over the past couple of years, and he has added weight. He is worse of a player now, then he was when he came up. He hasn't improved at all, and has shown little interest in improving. His swing looked horrible last year and he needs a lot of work. I don't know if he mentally has the ability to work hard and improve.

Willis has a very unusual delivery. If it gets out of his mechanics, he will throw gopher balls. Coming from a weak hitting to the AL, I would imagine he is going to be mediocre at best. He will get the wins, due to the offense of tigers, but his era will suck. Look at the adjustment period it took beckett, and it isn't like the al central is an easy division anymore. Shit even the royals have vastly improved. He is going to need a lot of work to be a #1 or #2. IMO, currently he is a weak #3 or a solid #4.

Don't color me surprised if Willis' 2008 ERA is over 5. He might rack up the wins, but I'm not sure that division is the best fit for him.

Ugh, even if the Marlins sign Jorge Cantu, their '08 payroll would probably be around $13.5 million. Someone really needs to buy that team from Loria.

jay gibbons and jose guillen are getting 15 days suspensions over the use of an illegal substance

Gary Matthews Jr., Rick Ankiel, Troy Glaus and Scott Schoeneweis scrapped by due to insufficient evidence.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...LYF?slug=ap-drugsuspensions&prov=ap&type=lgns

yanks are talking a 1 year deal to latroy hawkins...I dunno why, he didn't pitch that great when he was with the orioles
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yankees-talking-to-LaTroy-Hawkins?urn=mlb,56699

if the yanks can move one of there big old contracts (mussina, damon, abreau,matsui) then they might get back into the santana race.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yankees-could-get-back-in-Santana-sweepstakes?urn=mlb,56695

oakland still interested in signing bonds
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/...erested-in-signing-Barry-Bonds-?urn=mlb,56686

boston is thinking about extending varitek's contract...I have no fucking idea why...he is an excellent play caller, but his offense is getting to the point where he will be an automatic out...they should never have traded shopach....
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Boston-wants-to-talk-extension-with-Varitek?urn=mlb,56683

Andruw Jones was a great signing, now they need to do something with thier extra outfielder. If they can turn one of them into a decent starting pitcher, then the Dodgers will be in great shape for 08.

so when the hr king lands in oakland, what number will he wear??? i dont think they should give him mark mcguire's 25, and giving him rickey henderson's 24 is also out of the question. itd be funny if he tried to stick it to canseco and took over his 33

[quote name='vrs1650']Andruw Jones was a great signing, now they need to do something with thier extra outfielder. If they can turn one of them into a decent starting pitcher, then the Dodgers will be in great shape for 08.[/quote]

a .220 something hitter last year with slowing bat speed, no desire to improve, and losing a step in center is a good signing at 18mill per season...they could have had soriano in that price range.

[quote name='ryanbph']a .220 something hitter last year with slowing bat speed, no desire to improve, and losing a step in center is a good signing at 18mill per season...they could have had soriano in that price range.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. He was asking for around $25M/yr with us. We politely told Scott to shove it up his ass.

Yeah two years to see if he pans out our not, it is a hell of a lot better than five to six years. Plus you never know, a change of scenery may do him some good. It is high, but he would have had the best offensive numbers on the Dodgers last season.

[quote name='vrs1650']Yeah two years to see if he pans out our not, it is a hell of a lot better than five to six years. Plus you never know, a change of scenery may do him some good. It is high, but he would have had the best offensive numbers on the Dodgers last season.[/quote]

Which is a very sad fact. Just tells you how bad the Dodgers really were last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back