MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

[quote name='GhostShark']Rangers beat the CleveLOL Indians again, but the 1B ump made one of the worst calls in history. He tossed Manny Acta in the 9th for TAKING HIS HAT OFF. Yes, you heard right. He got tossed for taking his hat off in the dugout after a bad call.

As for the guy who fell in yesterday's Indians-Rangers game. He is stable and ok sustaining a minor skull and ankle fracture. He'll be ok. Great to hear, too.[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine that about sums up the Indians season right there.

That's good to hear about the guy that fell. Very fortunate. I wonder if the people he fell on saved his life. If not for them, he may be dead. But to come out of it with minor skull and ankle fracture, wow.

Cards appear to be done with each game that passes. NL Central is up for the Reds if they want it badly enough. Cards have one of the worst bullpens in baseball. They blew another big lead but this time in the 8th and lose it in the bottom of the 9th.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I'd imagine that about sums up the Indians season right there.

That's good to hear about the guy that fell. Very fortunate. I wonder if the people he fell on saved his life. If not for them, he may be dead. But to come out of it with minor skull and ankle fracture, wow.[/QUOTE]

I will say this about Cleveland though, Mitch Talbot and Carlos Santana are the real deal.

It's being reported that the Mariners have 10-15 teams interested in Cliff Lee. I bet they get 10000 times more than Philadelphia got for him.

Ubaldo Jimenez just won his 15th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! game today. 15 wins before the All Star Break. WOW!

Nick Swisher is an ALL STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only voted for him about 40 times yesterday morning. MLB is reporting that it was the closest ever for the last player between him and Youk.

[quote name='wildcpac']Jake Peavy is out for the season.[/QUOTE]

I heard last night that apparently, this could even be a career ending injury.

I swear, my fantasy teams this year suck. On one team, I have him, Bucholz, Brett Anderson, and Jorge De La Rosa, all currently injured. Not to mention Grady Sizemore.

*sigh*

Actually, may as well mention Miguel Montero. Healthy now, but missed two months or so.

[quote name='wildcpac']Nick Swisher is an ALL STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only voted for him about 40 times yesterday morning. MLB is reporting that it was the closest ever for the last player between him and Youk.[/QUOTE]

Votto also won. Too bad Latos won't be joining him, he's earned it.

[quote name='JStryke']
Actually, may as well mention Miguel Montero. Healthy now, but missed two months or so.[/QUOTE]
But at least he is taking care of business now. I love having Montero back, they need to trade Snyder.

Just ridiculous if it happens, and sums up why I have such a hard time caring much about baseball these days. Just a waste of a sport without a salary cap.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just ridiculous if it happens, and sums up why I have such a hard time caring much about baseball these days. Just a waste of a sport without a salary cap.[/QUOTE]

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ooooo aren't you the same one defending James going to Miami.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just ridiculous if it happens, and sums up why I have such a hard time caring much about baseball these days. Just a waste of a sport without a salary cap.[/QUOTE]

Because this TRADE is a great point for the salary cap argument... :roll: Come on. At least make the whining applicable.

Buster Olney is hearing from a baseball executive that the deal is all but done. Does it happen before or after the game? Do the Yankees get a window to negotiate a deal?

If the Yankees do trade for Lee, they can either do one of the following. Trade Javy for a bat or put Hughes back into the pen. Hughes has an innings limit this year and would help out the shitty pen big time for the rest of the season.

Plus trading for Lee now would save the Yankees their first round draft pick.

[quote name='wildcpac']Buster Olney is hearing from a baseball executive that the deal is all but done. Does it happen before or after the game? Do the Yankees get a window to negotiate a deal?

If the Yankees do trade for Lee, they can either do one of the following. Trade Javy for a bat or put Hughes back into the pen. Hughes has an innings limit this year and would help out the shitty pen big time for the rest of the season.

Plus trading for Lee now would save the Yankees their first round draft pick.[/QUOTE]

He also is set to start against them tonight. Would be kind of ironic, and funny, if he made the start against the M's tonight. (well at any point this weekend really)

[quote name='craven_fiend']He also is set to start against them tonight. Would be kind of ironic, and funny, if he made the start against the M's tonight. (well at any point this weekend really)[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Yankees get it done before the game so he doesn't kick our ass again. Lee is a Yankee killer.

[quote name='wildcpac']Maybe the Yankees get it done before the game so he doesn't kick our ass again. Lee is a Yankee killer.[/QUOTE]

In that case, hopefully he does pitch against them. That and he goes back to 2007 form that got him sent to minors. :cool:

Whats amazing about the 2007 season, is the Indians made it to the ALCS that year and he didn't contribute. He pitches like 2008 and 2009 a year earlier and Cleveland may be the 2007 Champs.

Cliff Lee to Texas Rangers for First Baseman and 3 Minor-leaguers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5367615

"The M's sent Lee and reliever Mark Lowe to Texas for first baseman Justin Smoak and minor leaguers Blake Beavan, Josh Lueke and Matthew Lawson."

First off, im glad its not the Yankess....geez. Second, great pick-up for Rangers obviously. Not so good for my Angeles......currently 4 games behind. :bomb:

Side Rant incoming: fucken pussy as Dodgers, you obviously need an Ace pitcher. Current pitching line up is just not getting it done. I dont see Joe Torre re-signing with them after the season without moves that show you are COMMITTED to chase a championship. Dodgers are going to have HAD 3 YEARS with one of the beast Managers in MLB history and nothing to show for it. Should of traded Russel Martin with min-leaguers if that's all it was gona take...............Side Rant over/:headache:

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Because this TRADE is a great point for the salary cap argument... :roll: Come on. At least make the whining applicable.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't it have been if it had happened?

No salary cap lets team's stock pile talent, be it trades, free agency etc. to a level they couldn't with a salary cap.

It's much harder to trade for stars and give up next to nothing in sports with salary caps as teams usually have to get rid of big contracts to trade for a star.

In any case, glad he went to another contender and helps level competitive balance a bit.

Yeah, because we saw how a salary cap kept three of the best players in basketball from being on the same team...oh...wait...it didn't. Even if baseball had a salary cap, the Yankees would still have an edge on getting the best players, because have the resources and they have the prestige. And people would still cry about it. Funny, though, that no one was crying back when the Orioles and Rangers tried to "buy" championships in the late '90s by bringing in high-priced talent. Maybe it's because it didn't work. And no one was really crying all those years the Yankees kept getting knocked out in the 1st round. It's only an issue when the Yankees put a great team together.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, because we saw how a salary cap kept three of the best players in basketball from being on the same team...oh...wait...it didn't. Even if baseball had a salary cap, the Yankees would still have an edge on getting the best players, because have the resources and they have the prestige. And people would still cry about it. Funny, though, that no one was crying back when the Orioles and Rangers tried to "buy" championships in the late '90s by bringing in high-priced talent. Maybe it's because it didn't work. And no one was really crying all those years the Yankees kept getting knocked out in the 1st round. It's only an issue when the Yankees put a great team together.[/QUOTE]

Well the NBA thing, all those guys are taking less money to play together which is unusual for star players. Yes the Yanks would still have an edge even if there was a salary cap but it would end up making things more fair and a lot harder for a team to stockpile players.

Yes! Cliff Lee just made the Rangers an extremely serious contender. It is a little crappy to give up Justin Smoak, but he just was not perform like he possibly could have. We need a decent first baseman now. Hopefully Chris Davis won't suck it up like he did at the start of last season and the start of this season.

If Adam Dunn doesn't win player of the week for this week, it'll be a sham. The guy's hit like 8 home runs this week.

[quote name='DomLando']Well the NBA thing, all those guys are taking less money to play together which is unusual for star players. Yes the Yanks would still have an edge even if there was a salary cap but it would end up making things more fair and a lot harder for a team to stockpile players.[/QUOTE]

Exactly...that was point I was making. A salary cap cannot necessarily stop star players from playing together and putting together a dynasty type team. Those guys proved that not everything is about the money. And even with a salary cap, the Yankees would still have an edge over other teams. Do you want to play for the Yankees or the Indians? Come on...

Anyway, I'm glad the deal fell through. I don't know why Cashman was looking for trade good prospects for a rental. Unless they were confident they could sign him to an extension...and even then, who cares? The Yankees won the World Series last year, and their rotation is better this year. If they want Lee, they can just sign him over the offseason and not have to trade anyone.

I really didn't expect the Yankees to get Cliff Lee anyway and was honestly surprised hearing a deal was that close...and to the extent of possibly unloading Vazquez if they were able to acquire Lee. Javy hasn't been amazing, but damn if that dude barely gets a chance in NY. I would have rather traded AJ, but that won't happen with his ridiculous contract.

See, big salaries are a blessing and a curse. Yes, not having a salary cap allows the Yanks to do more. But it also locks them into unmoveable contracts, overpaying, or getting players past their prime. How many people felt bad for the Yankees when they were paying Jason Giambi $22 million the last couple years of his contract?

And like bruce mentioned, a high payroll doesn't guarantee anything. Before I hear any more talk about a cap, you better damn well start talking about a floor because some of these owners need to stop gouging their own teams and actually try to field a competitive product for the fans. The Yankees spend money to make money. That's how businesses should work.

Exactly about the floor. Let's say you made, just for argument's sake, a $125 million cap. Fine. You'll still have teams that spend $50, and they will still get their faces punched in by the Yankees.

The Yankees already dole out millions through revenue sharing and luxury taxes. And guess what? Plenty of owners just pocket it. So, what's worse for baseball: the Yankees or those teams? Every city the Yankees go, they draw massive crowds. Teams that can barely ever get anyone in their stadium look forward to when the Yankees are in town, because they can actually get some asses in the seats.

I also agree about giving Javy a chance. He's pitching great in the last month. When on, as he had been lately, he's easily the best 5th starter in baseball. He'll be gone at the end of the year, but I definitely didn't see the need for Lee now. Our rotation is infinitely more prepared for the pennant race and playoffs than it was last year. We have the same top 3, and Hughes and Javy are light years ahead of Joba, Mitre, and Gaudin.

Hate to cut in on all the Yankees talk, but the Phillies just scored 6 in the 9th and then Howard hit a 2 run walkoff home run in the 10th. Second straight game with a walkoff homer.

I really hope this finally get them going. It's only the All-Star break and they're still in striking distance.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
And like bruce mentioned, a high payroll doesn't guarantee anything. [/QUOTE]

I think the 2003 World Series is a good example of that.

The Marlins $54 million vs the Yankees $164 million payroll.

[quote name='GhostShark']Yes! Cliff Lee just made the Rangers an extremely serious contender. It is a little crappy to give up Justin Smoak, but he just was not perform like he possibly could have. We need a decent first baseman now. Hopefully Chris Davis won't suck it up like he did at the start of last season and the start of this season.[/QUOTE]
Adam LaRoche is most likely for sale, watchu got foo?

If the Yanks want Lee, they can pick him up as a free agent next year. They need a bridge to Mo because it ain't Joba.

[quote name='yukine']Adam LaRoche is most likely for sale, watchu got foo?[/QUOTE]

You can have some of the amazing Garlic Fries the ballpark sells as well as Josh Lewin's legendary (lol) play-by-play skills. Oh, and you can take your pick of the crappy triple-A catchers we have.

[quote name='yukine']Adam LaRoche is most likely for sale, watchu got foo?[/QUOTE]

Oliver Perez/John Maine/Luis Castillo/ and a nice cold one from McFaddens.

Take your pick...Im assuming its the cold one. :)

[quote name='bsesb2003']If the Yanks want Lee, they can pick him up as a free agent next year. They need a bridge to Mo because it ain't Joba.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they can sign him but i think they would want to get rid of AJ's contract first...that or Andy finally retires.

Im sure they will find the 8th guy. Someone just has to emerge from that pen and i bet teh yanks are busy looking for on the market.

Thats said,
Please Omar, bring in a starter.....Oswalt,Lilly,Haren...SOMEBODY!

Well for the NBA comparison, at least now the heat are strapped financially to pit a supporting cast around the studs that's good enough to get them past the Magic, Celtics or Lakers. with no salary cap that wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, getting on topic, the Braves beat the Mets to go up 4 games.

[quote name='GhostShark']You can have some of the amazing Garlic Fries the ballpark sells as well as Josh Lewin's legendary (lol) play-by-play skills. Oh, and you can take your pick of the crappy triple-A catchers we have.[/QUOTE]
LaRoche has been very solid so far this year, and he typically heats up in the second half of the season. I think he would be a nice fit for the Rangers if they need a first baseman.

D'backs need bullpen arms...
[quote name='integralsmatic']
Thats said,
Please Omar, bring in a starter.....Oswalt,Lilly,Haren...SOMEBODY![/QUOTE]
D'backs are on record as saying they would need to be "blown away" by an offer for Haren. What would the Mets be willing to give up given the needs of Arizona?

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']I think the 2003 World Series is a good example of that.

The Marlins $54 million vs the Yankees $164 million payroll.[/QUOTE]

No, this is a red herring.

The problem with the financial structure in baseball is not that higher payroll guarantees winning (it doesn't), it's that the high payroll teams play a different game in player development/acquisition than everyone else.

Need a big bat in the middle of the lineup? Ace starter? Better bullpen? The Yankees and Red Sox and etc. can go out and buy one on the free agent market. Pittsburgh and Florida and Kansas City has to hope a youngster pans out.

Got some up-and-coming talent that is legitimately good? Have fun signing them when they hit free agency and the big market teams can offer twice what you can.

You broke the bank and signed that guy to a big contract? Good, he'd better live up to it. Because you've put all your eggs in that basket and you can't sign anyone else to go with him, and if he sucks you can't just eat the contract and get someone else (Carl Pavano, Jason Giambi, etc.).

[quote name='yukine']LaRoche has been very solid so far this year, and he typically heats up in the second half of the season. I think he would be a nice fit for the Rangers if they need a first baseman.

D'backs need bullpen arms...

D'backs are on record as saying they would need to be "blown away" by an offer for Haren. What would the Mets be willing to give up given the needs of Arizona?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much no one...unless they want to go for the Mets best infield prospect in Wilmer Flores. I would say for the D'Backs to be blown away by the Mets it would take Mejia,Havens,and F-Mart/Holt/Gee to get Haren. I doubt they would want to deal Wilmer Flores as he is young like Mejia but has more of a ceiling than Havens. Havens is more major league ready at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Braves blanked the mets 4-0 to go up 5 games.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']3 batters left.[/QUOTE]

More than that since the Reds haven't mustered a run off Halladay yet. Could got 9 perfect innings and lose potentially!

EDIT: Or not, lead off double for the Phillies.

Wow, Votto leans over the railing to grab the foul pop-up. Third straight extra innings game between these two, Philly won those. And there's Brad Lidge. There goes the winning streak...

So I was in Seattle on thursday and saw the Yankees/Mariners game. It was pretty amusing that there were so many Yankee fans there. Hell, we even had a Let's Go Yankees chant around the 7th or 8th inning or so. Anyway, there was one point during the game that I absolutely loved. I forgot what inning it was, but someone randomly started a "SWWWWIIIISSSSHHH-EERRRRRR" chant. After the third one, some guy was like "SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I was thinking to myself, Swisher needs to make a webgem right now to shut that guy up. Next pitch, a droppin liner is heading to right field and he makes a nice sliding catch. What perfect timing.

Rollins wins it in the 11th. First time in franchise history they've had three straight extra inning walk-offs. After not having a baserunner for 8 innings, they win. Unbelievable.

[quote name='GhostShark']Yes! Cliff Lee just made the Rangers an extremely serious contender. It is a little crappy to give up Justin Smoak, but he just was not perform like he possibly could have. We need a decent first baseman now. Hopefully Chris Davis won't suck it up like he did at the start of last season and the start of this season.[/QUOTE]

The Rangers just traded Jim Thome. No, seriously, Smoak's walk/K rate, line drive %, GB/FB rate all scream Jim Thome - 1993.

Way too much to trade for three+ months of Cliff Lee, as awesome as he is.

bread's done
Back