MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

Sweet Lou announces his retirement effective at the end of the season. Cubs fans rejoice!

Instant Replay should be used for fair/foul, homeruns and bang bang plays at the plate.

[quote name='DomLando']I rather Omar not trade for a pitcher. Realistically this team doesn't have a shot to win the World Series so why even make a push? Yeah if they play well they might sneak into the Wild Card or even win the division if Philly keeps playing poorly and the Braves start to struggle. But in a 5 or 7 game series the Mets do not have the pitching to compete. Santana would give them a good start but the offense has proved to struggle against top of the rotation guys and then who after that? Pelfrey has completey fell apart, Niese has been good but he's still young and we do not know how he would perform in a spot like that, and RA Dickey...well yeah it's RA Dickey.

Omar would make a stupid trade and trade away some good young talent for a guy we really do not need and will end up over paying. I rather them stick with what they got. Hey, if they struggle for the rest of the year at least Manuel and Minaya might be gone![/QUOTE]

yeah i have to agree with you on this point. if the mets are out of it by the end of the week, than lets just keep our chips, get these two idiots fired and start anew. Manuel is still making questionable moves even when the game is out of reach. I can't wait till these two guys are gone. Just saying Omar, Lackey would have been a better option than Jason Bay.

The funny thing is i do not see the Braves ever slowing down. They may lose a series here or there but all their players are having breakout seasons from Martin Prado to Tim Hudson. Their role players are becoming quality players which is dangerous for any team to deal with. Im waiting for the Phillies to do their normal August and September run. They struggle now but will probably turn up the gears later like they usually dow while the Mets wallow away back to 3rd or even 4th place.

[quote name='wildcpac']
Instant Replay should be used for fair/foul, homeruns and bang bang plays at the plate.[/QUOTE]

I'd say for bang bang plays at any base. But not an auto review, give managers 1-2 challenges a game that they keep if call is reversed and lose if it's upheld.

Maybe have auto reviews of all bang bang plays in the 9th inning and extra innings I guess.

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah i have to agree with you on this point. if the mets are out of it by the end of the week, than lets just keep our chips, get these two idiots fired and start anew. Manuel is still making questionable moves even when the game is out of reach. I can't wait till these two guys are gone. Just saying Omar, Lackey would have been a better option than Jason Bay.

The funny thing is i do not see the Braves ever slowing down. They may lose a series here or there but all their players are having breakout seasons from Martin Prado to Tim Hudson. Their role players are becoming quality players which is dangerous for any team to deal with. Im waiting for the Phillies to do their normal August and September run. They struggle now but will probably turn up the gears later like they usually dow while the Mets wallow away back to 3rd or even 4th place.[/QUOTE]

I do not picture the Mets trading youth for another pitcher. Not when rumors are flying recently that the Mets have no money. Plus look at the off season. Omar didn't want to spend on Lackey or any other pitchers. Is he going to be willing to do so now?

[quote name='wildcpac']

Instant Replay should be used for fair/foul, homeruns and bang bang plays at the plate.[/QUOTE]
They already review homeruns, which is useless since it's hardly ever used.

Bang bang plays are an exact reason why we shouldn't have instant replays. Let's say we have a play at a plate with a runner behind him, initial call is an out with a guy going to third because it's two outs. But the call is reversed extending the inning, and if the ump called the guy out at first, they could have thrown the guy out at third to end the inning. But the result is one run with an extra out. I'm sure there are better examples out there but at top of my head. Bang bang plays need to be called in a moments notice, keeping the ball live. It's not like football or another sport where you can wait till a play runs it's course and then review.

Thank God Jeter is in a contract year. Good luck on getting anything within 50 percent of what you are making now. Zero range from the SS Position and he swings and grounds out on the first pitch all of the time. It's getting beyond frustrating to watch.

Jeter with a GIDP to end the inning. Yankees better offer him a take it or leave it 3 year 15 million dollar contract. Guy is fucking burnt toast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the Yankees! Offense goes from beating up on David Price who is #1 in Cy Young for the AL to getting dominated by a crap rookie pitcher. Just throw a changeup because none of the Yankees can hit it.
Yankees offense goes from being on the verge of knocking out this scrub in the first inning to getting dominated the next 5 innings. Zero hits after the first.

[quote name='wildcpac']Sweet Lou announces his retirement effective at the end of the season. Cubs fans rejoice!

Bring on Ryno!

Whew! Yankees get their asses kicked today by the Angels and still catch a huge break. Rays blew a 2 run lead in the bottom of the 9th and a 1 run lead in the bottom of the 12th to lose in 13 to the Orioles.

Thank you Orioles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philadelphia is rumored to be heavy favorites to land Roy Oswalt.

Thole looks like a keeper for the Mets. They need to DFA Barajas ASAP.

I am shocked that the Backs bullpen got the job done. Shocked!

[quote name='wildcpac']Whew! Yankees get their asses kicked today by the Angels and still catch a huge break. Rays blew a 2 run lead in the bottom of the 9th and a 1 run lead in the bottom of the 12th to lose in 13 to the Orioles.

Thank you Orioles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philadelphia is rumored to be heavy favorites to land Roy Oswalt.

Thole looks like a keeper for the Mets. They need to DFA Barajas ASAP.

I am shocked that the Backs bullpen got the job done. Shocked![/QUOTE]

First they need to get rid of Blanco, then Barajas.

Isn't Blanco better defensively? Plus Blanco in terms of OPS PLus is having the much better season. Barajas has 2 RBI's in the past 2 months.

Mets fans do not fear, Ollie Perez is back. Now the Mets do not have to make a trade at the deadline.

[quote name='wildcpac']Isn't Blanco better defensively? Plus Blanco in terms of OPS PLus is having the much better season. Barajas has 2 RBI's in the past 2 months.

Mets fans do not fear, Ollie Perez is back. Now the Mets do not have to make a trade at the deadline.[/QUOTE]

Blanco also has a lot less at bats. Yeah he is better defensively, but he is not a good offensive player at all and the Mets need all the offense they can get right now.

My
Entire
Team
Sucks

I dont even want to think about if the Phillies land Roy Oswalt....i wouldnt know how to react...once the Mets let the deadline pass...and do not lift a finger..that will be the end of the season....i will go to at least 1 game this year so i can go just for citifield and ill be looking forward to '11. Because clearly if they cant cut it against Bobby Enright, they can't cut it against anyone.(im not knocking enright because he did great today...but the Mets should have scored some runs today and they didnt)

But i guess the Phillies are struggling but that means nothing. They were down 7 games in 07 and they still came back. You can never count out the phillies no matter how much they struggling.

Yankees get big time lucky last night. Get their butts kicked by the Angels and both the Sox and Rays lose in extra innings after blowing big time leads. Thanks A's and Orioles!

[quote name='wildcpac']Yankees get big time lucky last night. Get their butts kicked by the Angels and both the Sox and Rays lose in extra innings after blowing big time leads. Thanks A's and Orioles![/QUOTE]

I'm honestly surprised it took Wakefield that long to blow the lead. Hopefully, that's the last time he starts this season.

Can a Yankee starting pitcher go one fucking start without giving up 2 HR's plus? Good Grief!

Javy gets a 6 run lead after 4 innings of great pitching and hits the fucking wall come the 5th.

Nate Robertson got dfa'ed by the Marlins. Now the Mets can go after their new starting pitcher without having to give up too much for him.

[quote name='wildcpac']Yankees are kicking Joel Piniero's ass so far today. Arod just missed 599 and Cano hit a moonshot to the bullpen.[/QUOTE]

Ignoring the guys you love to hate on I see? Both Jeter and Teixeira had really good games. Not really fair to only point out when they suck.

Also, having a LF in the lineup with the name "C. Curtis" brings back memories. Nice to see him hit his first big league homer today...after inheriting an 0-2 count no less!

Cant call Tex Doucheira anymore if he keeps going on like this. His HR's and RBI's are very respectable now when you look at the suck in the first half.

Jeters range still sucks and his swinging at the first pitch is beyond tiresome. Leadoff hitters should be working the count and making the pitcher tired. Gardners stats should put him leadoff put it will never happen. I would have Jeter hitting 6th after Cano to provide him protection when Jorge isn't playing.

Mets fans, is Niese usually this homerun prone? DBacks have 3 so far in 4 innings. Mets are lucky that they have only been solo shots.

Former Yankee Manager Great Ralph Houk passed away. He managed the team to 3 pennants 1961-1963 and the 61 and 62 World Series Championships. He also managed the Red Sox in the early 1980's and had some pretty good years.

Jesus Montero is tearing up the minors.

Since June 11

120 AB, .375/.440*/.683 & 7 HR

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DBacks bullpen just flat out dominated the Mets offense. Bullpen held the Mets to 1 hit, 3 walks and 0 runs in 8 innings. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

11 walkoff loses for the Mets so far this year.

[quote name='yukine']Nice to finally sweep another team.[/QUOTE]

From what I heard on the radio this morning, D-Backs were the last team this year to finally get a sweep against a team.

[quote name='JStryke']From what I heard on the radio this morning, D-Backs were the last team this year to finally get a sweep against a team.[/QUOTE]

They said on TV that it's almost been a year. What is up with your Braves? Wagner blew a big game against a light hitting Padres team. Would have been a perfect day for the Braves to win since the Mets/Fillies both lost.

Lincecum throws one high and tight to Kemp and puts him on his ass. Nobody says a word. Lincecum drills Kemp with the next pitch and both benches are warned. wtf? Kershaw comes out the next inning and hits Rowand in the ass with an 85 mph basically underhand pitch and he gets a 5 game suspension and a fine.

w.t.f.

An inning later another Giant pitcher throws high and tight to Martin and puts him on his ass. Nothing.

Perfect example of the difference between the Dodgers and the Giants. When asked about throwing at Kemp, Lincecum:
"It just got away from me," Lincecum said. "I wasn't throwing at him on purpose at all. I had a hard enough time finding the strike zone, let alone wanting to hit somebody on purpose when we're down a run."
Kershaw:
Kershaw has appealed, so he'll be allowed to play until the process is complete. "I'm not going to say anything," he said, smiling.
Teh freak is teh puss.

[quote name='wildcpac']Mets fans, is Niese usually this homerun prone? DBacks have 3 so far in 4 innings. Mets are lucky that they have only been solo shots.[/QUOTE]
no he is not, he usually is more solid but thank god it was only 3 runs.

[quote name='yukine']Sorry, Mets fans.

Nice to finally sweep another team.[/QUOTE]

Glad you swept us out of your building. This team is flat. That was the worst 14 innings of baseball i have ever seen the Mets play. Jason Bay is just downright pathetic and a bust. He goes 0-6 4K and misses a pop up that any other OF could track to the wall. What a bust. all of his teammates catch on fire and he cant do shit. With a road trip against the Braves,Cards,Dodgers,and Phils. I only see this team winning 2 games with the way they are playing. Out of any running by first week of august. They are going to get wiped out by all 4 teams and i hope they do. cleary team was never good at all.(yeah im pissed i put myself through those 14 miserable innings of what is a poor excuse of Mets baseball)

Im fucking done. Ownership has no plans in making any moves to improve this team, players just dont seem to care except for Alex Cora,and Jerry Manuel continues to be one of the most idiotic managers in baseball. I think i would rather have Joe Girardi than this douchbag.

[quote name='integralsmatic']no he is not, he usually is more solid but thank god it was only 3 runs.

Glad you swept us out of your building. This team is flat. That was the worst 14 innings of baseball i have ever seen the Mets play. Jason Bay is just downright pathetic and a bust. He goes 0-6 4K and misses a pop up that any other OF could track to the wall. What a bust. all of his teammates catch on fire and he cant do shit. With a road trip against the Braves,Cards,Dodgers,and Phils. I only see this team winning 2 games with the way they are playing. Out of any running by first week of august. They are going to get wiped out by all 4 teams and i hope they do. cleary team was never good at all.(yeah im pissed i put myself through those 14 miserable innings of what is a poor excuse of Mets baseball)

Im fucking done. Ownership has no plans in making any moves to improve this team, players just dont seem to care except for Alex Cora,and Jerry Manuel continues to be one of the most idiotic managers in baseball. I think i would rather have Joe Girardi than this douchbag.[/QUOTE]

It took you long enough to be done. I was done since the season started. Minaya needs to go. This year has proven it even more. He had no back up plan if Perez and Maine struggled, which is obvious since we still have Takahashi in there who has not been effective at all. He got lucky Dickey has been good or we would have 2 spots in the rotation with nobody to put in.

He over paid once again for a player (Jason Bay), we are still feeling the hurt of the huge Castillo contract, Barajas/Blanco have been pretty bad, Francouer has been terrible (though there are rumors he may be traded after or during the LA series), he signed Matthews Jr. and they started him when we had a starting CF all along, and he hired Jerry Manuel who we are still suffering from. Plus our minor league and young players aren't all that good. So why is he still the GM?

Mets are 13-30 on the road against teams not named the Indians and Orioles. You know the Dodgers are going to come out hungry and desperate for wins this weekend.

Espn is reporting that Roy Oswalt will most likely end up in St Louis. That is a scary top 3 for the Cardinals but their bullpen still sucks if the trade happens.

The Yanks shouldn't have any problems with Kansas City this week, but I am still concerned about their pitching. Power alone doesn't win games all the time.

Mets are falling. Same ole story every year. Need new management. imo

[quote name='wildcpac']They said on TV that it's almost been a year. What is up with your Braves? Wagner blew a big game against a light hitting Padres team. Would have been a perfect day for the Braves to win since the Mets/Fillies both lost.[/QUOTE]

Win some, lose some. I have Broxton on a fantasy team and he's been getting hit a bit lately too. Honestly, as far as the regular season goes, I'm not worried. Marlins and Nats shouldn't be a threat, Mets well...September is about a month away, and the Phils are riddled with injuries. Sure they can get hot, but I feel it'll be too late for them at that point.

[quote name='JoeJohn']The Yanks shouldn't have any problems with Kansas City this week, but I am still concerned about their pitching. Power alone doesn't win games all the time.

Mets are falling. Same ole story every year. Need new management. imo[/QUOTE]

They better have good pitching. The royals are the best hitting team in baseball.

[quote name='speedracer']Lincecum throws one high and tight to Kemp and puts him on his ass. Nobody says a word. Lincecum drills Kemp with the next pitch and both benches are warned. wtf? Kershaw comes out the next inning and hits Rowand in the ass with an 85 mph basically underhand pitch and he gets a 5 game suspension and a fine.

w.t.f.

An inning later another Giant pitcher throws high and tight to Martin and puts him on his ass. Nothing.

Perfect example of the difference between the Dodgers and the Giants. When asked about throwing at Kemp, Lincecum:

Kershaw:

Teh freak is teh puss.[/QUOTE]
The difference between the Dodgers and the Giants is that the Giants are the better team.

Earlier in the game, Lincecum threw a pitch that ended up in the 5th row behind the plate, he was erratic all night which led to the Dodgers getting five runs.

That loss was all on Torre for saying "Hey Kershaw, I know you're mowing down the Giants but could you hit the Giants worst hitter which will lead to us choking a crucial game? Kthxbye"

How is Lincecum a puss again?

[quote name='shosh']They better have good pitching. The royals are the best hitting team in baseball.[/QUOTE]

OOOOoooo joba got out of a based loaded jam. That was scary....

ARod is in full beast mode! Just hit his 599th homerun and has 24 RBI's for the month of July. Quite the accomplishment when there is still another week left in the month and all of the time off from the All Star Break.

bread's done
Back