MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

[quote name='speedracer']So has Stephen Drew's throw to 1st base come down yet? If you missed, check it out. It's a lulzer.[/QUOTE]
I blame the ghost of Jackie Robinson.

That one hurts, Haren pitched his heart out and gets a no-decision in return.

Andre is the man, I don't know he does it. Another walk off hit. We are almost back to .500!
I would be really worried if I was in the upper level on the 1st base side last night after that throw, Holy Christ that thing got away from him.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vrs1650']Andre is the man, I don't know he does it. Another walk of hit. [/QUOTE]
I can't believe they didn't walk him to get to Manny. If I was a manager, a decision between Ethier and King Albert would be a seriously difficult decision. Ethier gets em every. single. time.

Garrett Anderson called Ethier's 2009 season a "lifetime worth of walk offs". Two weeks in and #1 is already on the board.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Well, that is certainly more solid than my hearing it during the game he pitched. The announcers during the telecast said he intentionally avoided the Mets.[/QUOTE]

i think there has to be a little bias when on air talking about how the Mets do business. I mean Ron, Keith, and Gary can't slander the team/network they are working for. So they have to say that way. When the Mets are playing bad, you know you hear it in Keith's voice that he is holding back and wanting to rip the team. But they make sure to let the fans know that the Mets made a mistake by not signing Piniero and keeping Figueroa on the roster.

I'm not a Mets fan, but I love how Gary, Keith, and Ron call games. It is almost always right down the middle, exactly how they see it, without trying to champion the Mets cause. I can't stand when announcers are so over the top bias for their club (Hawk Harrelson comes to mind, though admittedly he can be absolutely hilarious in small doses).

So Omar stated that he would settle/be happy (paraphrasing) if the Mets won 1 out of 3 this weekend in St Louis. I love that loser mentality. He was also happy that the Mets won yesterday because it starts off a winning streak.

[quote name='speedracer']I can't believe they didn't walk him to get to Manny. If I was a manager, a decision between Ethier and King Albert would be a seriously difficult decision. Ethier gets em every. single. time.

Garrett Anderson called Ethier's 2009 season a "lifetime worth of walk offs". Two weeks in and #1 is already on the board.[/QUOTE]

Really? Dude slugged the .515 in 127 PAs in late and clutch situations last season, compared to a .508 clip for the season. Career tOPS+ in late and clutch situations is 99. Certainly not a bad hitter, but if the choice is between Ethier/Manny/Pujols... c'mon, man.

Stop being a homer!

Mets fans:

You guys are bummed about not getting to pay Piniero $8 mil a year? You guys are really desperate.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']

Mets fans:

You guys are bummed about not getting to pay Piniero $8 mil a year? You guys are really desperate.[/QUOTE]

They are bummed that they are Mets Fans during an era where the Yankees have gone to the playoffs 14 out of 15 years, 7 Pennants and 5 World Series. It's the why not us mentality. Especially when Yankees Yankees Yankees hits you in the face every single second living in NY. You cannot escape it. Mets fans are also pissed that Omar and Jeff Wilpon did a state of the union address last year after the regular season on WFan. Both men stated that the Mets would do whatever it takes to fix and improve the team in the off season. All the front office did was put a bandaid in Bay on severed limb.

Plus look at the last couple of seasons. 2005 was a feel good year that the Mets didn't have in 5 years. Mets were 1 inning away from the World Series in 2006. 2007 and 2008 they had historic collapses to miss out on the playoffs. 2009 was the season from hell in terms of everyone getting injured. I am sure the Mets fans here are old enough to remember 1997 and 1998 when both seasons the Mets failed the last weekend of the season to miss the playoffs. Mets in 1988 were on the verge of making the World Series by taking a 3-1 series lead over of the Dodgers and Mike Scioscia hit a 2 run shot off of Gooden in the top of the 9th. Mets fans are snake bitten. Every right to be so because outside of 69 and 86, the team has to be one of the unluckiest teams in all of sports.

Ollie pitched a great game today and the Mets bullpen blew it by giving up a grand slam. Mets now have 1st and 3rd down 2 with 1 outs in the top of the ninth. Make it a 1 run game with the tying run at second and 2 outs. A healthy Reyes would have been safe. Mets lose. Wfan should be fun to listen too.

What is up with Zach Greinke? Guy has been hit pretty hard in his first couple of starts against the Sox and now the Twins.

Oooooo and Vernon Wells has 6 homeruns in the first 11 games. I wonder if some team is going to be stupid enough to trade for him.

[quote name='wildcpac']So Omar stated that he would settle/be happy (paraphrasing) if the Mets won 1 out of 3 this weekend in St Louis. I love that loser mentality. He was also happy that the Mets won yesterday because it starts off a winning streak.[/QUOTE]

Can the retarded quotes just stop. First it was Manuel and now Minaya. The stigma is the first thing that needs to change. I dont care who takes over as interims but just get it done and fire these two. I am sick of the stupidity already.

Well the Mets found a way to lose it again and it thanks to my guy Raul Valdes. They played great though tonight. As long as they can be competitive...ill be happy. Wright and Frenchy made some great plays tonight and Frenchy is swinging the bat well. I am worried about Reyes though. He looks like a step slower but i guess he isnt fully in season mode yet. Ill give that a pass.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Can the retarded quotes just stop. First it was Manuel and now Minaya. The stigma is the first thing that needs to change. I dont care who takes over as interims but just get it done and fire these two. I am sick of the stupidity already.

Well the Mets found a way to lose it again and it thanks to my guy Raul Valdes. They played great though tonight. As long as they can be competitive...ill be happy. Wright and Frenchy made some great plays tonight and Frenchy is swinging the bat well. I am worried about Reyes though. He looks like a step slower but i guess he isnt fully in season mode yet. Ill give that a pass.[/QUOTE]

Healthy Reyes would have been safe in the top of the 9th on that infield ground ball.

Ryan Franklin suckkkkksssssssss as a closer.

do you really want Bob Melvin to take over? It's basically just a lateral move from Jerry.

Despite Dave Herndon almost blowing a 6 run lead, Ryan Madson secured the good Doctor another victory today vs. the Fish at Citizens Bank Park. Phightin's are 8-2.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I'm not a Mets fan, but I love how Gary, Keith, and Ron call games. It is almost always right down the middle, exactly how they see it, without trying to champion the Mets cause. I can't stand when announcers are so over the top bias for their club (Hawk Harrelson comes to mind, though admittedly he can be absolutely hilarious in small doses).[/QUOTE]

I feel you on that one. The phillies announcer is another one that comes to mind as being heavily biased. ill never get sick of Keith and Ron's analyzing. They are usually spot on.

[quote name='wildcpac']Healthy Reyes would have been safe in the top of the 9th on that infield ground ball.

Ryan Franklin suckkkkksssssssss as a closer.

do you really want Bob Melvin to take over? It's basically just a lateral move from Jerry.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind. If they dump both Manuel and Omar....than its ok. Melvin and Ricco will just warm the seat for a new manager and GM. Who ever it is..i just hope they make a push for a guy like Kevin Towers or do i dare say Billy Beane. After that, the Manager will fall in to place. If they do fire Manuel and Omar, its basically a message to the fans that this season is done and we are retooling for the next...and i dont mind that. We have problems that we can't overcome due to the way Omar built the roster. Its not completely Manuel's fault because he is working with that he is given...but the things he has been saying and the mental lapses in management.....only one could take so much.

Unless the terrible becomes decent and the decent becomes great, we don't have a shot at the playoffs for some time now especially with the rest of the division getting better and with the roster the way it is.

[quote name='Proto Man']Despite Dave Herndon almost blowing a 6 run lead, Ryan Madson secured the good Doctor another victory today vs. the Fish at Citizens Bank Park. Phightin's are 8-2.[/QUOTE]

Fillies are 8-2 against crappy teams like the Stros and Nats. Let us all know when they finally beat a real team which wont happen until they have a chance during inter league. Orioles going 1-10 and losing 1, 2 run games is more impressive than the Fillies beating up on tee ball teams.

Damn you Mets! You had the Crudinals beat and you let them off the hook! I was hoping after the Cubs win we'd be able to gain a game on them.

[quote name='Chitown021']Damn you Mets! You had the Crudinals beat and you let them off the hook! I was hoping after the Cubs win we'd be able to gain a game on them.[/QUOTE]

How can you be surprised? Omar would be excited if the Mets took 1 out of 3 this weekend.

It hurts watching the Mets. Last year they started off well and then everyone got injured some way or another, so despite problems there was always that hope that with the core healthy they were still a team that could challenge the Phillies for the East. This year it has just set in how bad they are and every game I watch it shows another hole the team needs to fill.

[quote name='wildcpac']Fillies are 8-2 against crappy teams like the Stros and Nats. Let us all know when they finally beat a real team which wont happen until they have a chance during inter league. Orioles going 1-10 and losing 1, 2 run games is more impressive than the Fillies beating up on tee ball teams.[/QUOTE]

What team are you a fan of, or are you just an all around troll?

Also, Fillies is not clever or creative. Come up with something else.

Good teams beat teams that they are expected to beat, and that is exactly what the Phils are doing. Fans of the team have every right to be excited, as they are averaging 8 runs a game, Halladay is completely dominant, Howard looks like he can finally beat the shift, Utley has 4 homeruns in 4 consecutive games, Polanco is a fantastic addition to our line-up etc....

What do you want Phils fans to do, not discuss baseball until interleague begins? We are playing with the same core that just went to 2 World Series. Of course we're excited. Your Orioles claim is outrageous and not even worth a reply.

If you are a trolling Mets fan, at least be civil and discuss your squad, like DomLando and integralsmatic.

[quote name='jimbo slice']what team are you a fan of, or are you just an all around troll?

Also, fillies is not clever or creative. Come up with something else.

Good teams beat teams that they are expected to beat, and that is exactly what the phils are doing. Fans of the team have every right to be excited, as they are averaging 8 runs a game, halladay is completely dominant, howard looks like he can finally beat the shift, utley has 4 homeruns in 4 consecutive games, polanco is a fantastic addition to our line-up etc....

What do you want phils fans to do, not discuss baseball until interleague begins? We are playing with the same core that just went to 2 world series. Of course we're excited. Your orioles claim is outrageous and not even worth a reply.

If you are a trolling mets fan, at least be civil and discuss your squad, like domlando and integralsmatic.[/quote]

qft!

[quote name='wildcpac']They are bummed that they are Mets Fans during an era where the Yankees have gone to the playoffs 14 out of 15 years, 7 Pennants and 5 World Series. It's the why not us mentality. Especially when Yankees Yankees Yankees hits you in the face every single second living in NY. You cannot escape it. Mets fans are also pissed that Omar and Jeff Wilpon did a state of the union address last year after the regular season on WFan. Both men stated that the Mets would do whatever it takes to fix and improve the team in the off season. All the front office did was put a bandaid in Bay on severed limb.

Plus look at the last couple of seasons. 2005 was a feel good year that the Mets didn't have in 5 years. Mets were 1 inning away from the World Series in 2006. 2007 and 2008 they had historic collapses to miss out on the playoffs. 2009 was the season from hell in terms of everyone getting injured. I am sure the Mets fans here are old enough to remember 1997 and 1998 when both seasons the Mets failed the last weekend of the season to miss the playoffs. Mets in 1988 were on the verge of making the World Series by taking a 3-1 series lead over of the Dodgers and Mike Scioscia hit a 2 run shot off of Gooden in the top of the 9th. Mets fans are snake bitten. Every right to be so because outside of 69 and 86, the team has to be one of the unluckiest teams in all of sports.

Ollie pitched a great game today and the Mets bullpen blew it by giving up a grand slam. Mets now have 1st and 3rd down 2 with 1 outs in the top of the ninth. Make it a 1 run game with the tying run at second and 2 outs. A healthy Reyes would have been safe. Mets lose. Wfan should be fun to listen too.

What is up with Zach Greinke? Guy has been hit pretty hard in his first couple of starts against the Sox and now the Twins.

Oooooo and Vernon Wells has 6 homeruns in the first 11 games. I wonder if some team is going to be stupid enough to trade for him.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:

QFT

and this post people came from a Yankee Fan!

most of it is a NY thing. We see how good the Yankees are and Ownership says we will be that good.....well it never happend and they keep lying to us. They say they do whatever it takes to win and they don't do it. i see teams blow leads or lose but when the mets do it....It feels like it happens ALL THE TIME! thats the feeling i want to stop .

I remember all the years that Wildcpac spoke off. All years of torture and agony and being jerked around. i remember the bomb scioscia hit too in 88. as a child it, i broke one of my GI Joes over that loss.

i do believe we have an ideally good squad but thats just it....ideally we do but in reality it stinks and I hope at least Jeff/Fred and wake up and finally smell the coffee and see how bad their front office/med staff/roster really are.

Mets being no hit through 5 innings so far. Must suck because Santana is starting for the Mets. Cant lose a game when your Cy Young caliber starter is pitching.

[quote name='wildcpac']Mets being no hit through 5 innings so far. Must suck because Santana is starting for the Mets. Cant lose a game when your Cy Young caliber starter is pitching.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and he gave us another incredible performance. At least we didnt get no hit..

Over/Under on what inning this game ends?

A's win on a walkoff 2 run single with 2 outs to beat Baltimore 4-3. Peter Angelos tanking the Orioles is one of the best things to have happened to the Yankees and the Red Sox. To think the Orioles used to be a contender in the mid 90's, top payroll and 3.5 million strong every year at Camden. 1-11 to start the season and their only win was almost blown as well to the Rays.

Alex Cora with a catch into the stands to end the 10th inning. Mets are lucky that Holliday hasn't shown up at all today.

Hell is freezing over. A's are 9-4, Nats are 6-5 and the Pirates are 5-5 and in second place.

As a Yankees fan, I personally want to thank Genius Boy Wonder Theo for going for run prevention defense in the previous off season. All the players the Sox have brought in have also prevented the Sox from scoring runs themselves. Sox had the bases loaded with no outs in the bottom of the 11th in a tied game and failed to score because Beltre gidp. Pat Burrell hit a 2 run shot in the top of the 12th to give the rays a 3-1 lead. Thank you Theo. Your offense is a joke and in a total mess right now.

There was no one available in the offseason to address their offensive needs. "Run prevention" is a euphemism for signing a couple stopgaps while rebuilding.

At best it means, "Hang in there until we can trade for Adrian Gonzalez."

[quote name='wildcpac']As a Yankees fan, I personally want to thank Genius Boy Wonder Theo for going for run prevention defense in the previous off season. All the players the Sox have brought in have also prevented the Sox from scoring runs themselves. Sox had the bases loaded with no outs in the bottom of the 11th in a tied game and failed to score because Beltre gidp. Pat Burrell hit a 2 run shot in the top of the 12th to give the rays a 3-1 lead. Thank you Theo. Your offense is a joke and in a total mess right now.[/QUOTE]

Because there's nothing like a 10 game sample to prove an offseason a failure!

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']Because there's nothing like a 10 game sample to prove an offseason a failure![/QUOTE]

There's a failure with the offense when you have the bases loaded in a tied game, no outs and at home and fail to score the winning run. And I think I saw a stat that the Sox have scored 1 run in the last 20 innings or close to it. That came off of a Varitek homerun.

Cards/Mets heads into the 15th inning of 0-0 ball as the Cards had a runner on 3rd with no outs and failed to score a run. Pujols has been walked 2 times and IBB on 2 more times. Cards also had a relief pitcher come up 2 times with the bases loaded and failed both times.

[quote name='wildcpac']There's a failure with the offense when you have the bases loaded in a tied game, no outs and at home and fail to score the winning run. And I think I saw a stat that the Sox have scored 1 run in the last 20 innings or close to it. That came off of a Varitek homerun.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, the fact that they failed to win that game is an utter travesty and completely on the offense - I'm just saying that one game (or even ten) doesn't mean Theo's offseason was a failure.

And Gold Glove Cameron drops what would have been out number 3 to give the Rays a 1-0 lead. Run Prevention at it's finest.

16 innings now in St Louis.

4-0 now Rays. Hip Hip Hooray for Mike Cameron dropping out #3.

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']Teixeira at .083 this season. What a bum! Do you think they'll cut him?

And yes, I'm bitter because the Sox are sucking it up big time right now.[/QUOTE]

Not before the Sox cut Ortiz, Scuttaro, JD Drew, Beltre and Rickie Weeks.

Yankees offense has also scored a ton of runs the first 2 weeks despite Arod and Teix having 1 combined homerun.

[quote name='wildcpac']Not before the Sox cut Ortiz, Scuttaro, JD Drew, Beltre and Rickie Weeks.

Yankees offense has also scored a ton of runs the first 2 weeks despite Arod and Teix having 1 combined homerun.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure what the point of your first sentence is - I was using Teixeira as an example. He's not actually a bum, it's just that ten games isn't enough to say anything about a team/player. Also, Rickie Weeks is on the Brewers?

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']I'm not really sure what the point of your first sentence is - I was using Teixeira as an example. He's not actually a bum, it's just that ten games isn't enough to say anything about a team/player. Also, Rickie Weeks is on the Brewers?[/QUOTE]

You are right, I was thinking of Bill Hall my bad.

Sox offense is horrible outside of Dustie, Youk and VMart.

Mets/Cards goes to the 17th inning now. Those fans are getting their moneys worth today.

Ubaldo Jimenez no hit the Braves. Damn I missed it watching the Mets game.

18 inning game now in St Louis!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am hoping for a 20 inning game.
Lopez shuts down the Mets in the top of the 18th. Please oooo please go 19.

19 innings now!

Hahaha this game is great. Hitters are pitching, pitchers pinch hitting pitchers...joe mathers on the mound. lohse playing left field...This game is fun to watch...and funny that they are walking wright to get to Bay lol.

Cant believe the Braves got no hit today with that lineup. jiminez is nasty.

loving the fans cheering for strikes lol.

Man, the Sox suck this year. We're worse than the Nationals for crying out loud! How is that even possible? At least we're not as bad as the Orioles.

Good & Bad note: Grew up between Baltimore and DC, so I grew up watching Orioles games. Dad is now a Nationals fan since he's always been a Senators fan, so I get to watch a few Nationals games with him.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????????? Molina ties the game on a single following a Pujols double. Pujols just crushed that ball and I thought it was a homerun.

Onto the 20th inning now.

This game started at what 4 p.m.? lol. Molina is a Mets killer. KRod is beyond a moron for not walking Molina to get to Craig.

2-1 Mets now. Mets need the opposing team to put in position players to win a game. I wish Pujols was scheduled for the bottom of the 20th. The rest of the Cards lineup sucks.

its not like the Cards did any better. They hit K-Rod but couldnt hit any other pitcher either. They just ran out of staff too quickly. plus they had their chances with getting the bases loaded twice but then leaving them stranded. we got lucky because they wouldnt pitch franklin for more than 1 inning and we had Valdes and Meijia go atlteast two. Now its up to Big Pelf to hold the game down. geez im sleepy,

bread's done
Back