MLB The Show 11 Early Release and 29.99 at Target!

robEstyles

CAG Veteran
I'm sure this is very YMMV but I was in Target yesterday and there was a stack of MLB The Show 11 marked down on clearance 50% off. This was not last years game this was the new version that isn't even supposed to be released until March 8th. Someone screwed up royally. Not sure if it was just 1 person at this particular Target that screwed up or some type of a pricing error that could be going on at all Targets. The Target I got mine at was the Milltown,NJ one. There was about 10 left and they weren't in the aisle they were on an end cap in the back of games with all the other clearanced stuff. They must have thought this was last year's version and marked it down.

UPDATE

Here is the picture for anyone that doubts

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g246/robestyles/092de8ec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know if it's already been mentioned, but how did the computer system let you purchase it? I thought when the cashier scans the game, it'll pop up on the screen that it's street dated and wont let you buy it.

[quote name='TheRock88']Dont know if it's already been mentioned, but how did the computer system let you purchase it? I thought when the cashier scans the game, it'll pop up on the screen that it's street dated and wont let you buy it.[/QUOTE]

If only there were some sort of forum feature whereby you could see what all of the previous comments on a topic were. They should totally add that sort of functionality. :roll:

[quote name='scott_matthews']If only there were some sort of forum feature whereby you could see what all of the previous comments on a topic were. They should totally add that sort of functionality. :roll:[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I'm kind of doubting the legitimacy of this.

First, all clearance items end in either an xx.x8 or xx.x4 at Target depending on the percentage off. Second, the barcode would only be blacked out if someone did a "Not on File" repackage or an "Online Only" markdown. The fact that the team member scanned the barcode by the price leads me to believe:

Someone at the store purposely did an NOF markdown on it so they could bypass the street date hold prompt at POS

or

Someone made up a fake DPCI and price for the item and priced it at 29.99.

Either way, none of those would make sense in this situation because both of those markdowns make the price end in something other than a xx.99 price point.

Something is fishy here.

[quote name='robEstyles']I'm sure this is very YMMV but I was in Target yesterday and there was a stack of MLB The Show 11 marked down on clearance 50% off. This was not last years game this was the new version that isn't even supposed to be released until March 8th. Someone screwed up royally. Not sure if it was just 1 person at this particular Target that screwed up or some type of a pricing error that could be going on at all Targets. The Target I got mine at was the Milltown,NJ one. There was about 10 left and they weren't in the aisle they were on an end cap in the back of games with all the other clearanced stuff. They must have thought this was last year's version and marked it down.[/QUOTE]

Can you go buy me a copy and ill pay for shipping?

I'm not the biggest baseball fan, but even I would jump in on this for $29.99.

I would love to see pictures posted because if the computer let you buy the game, it means it is a UPC error. Anyone else see this happen?

dude... halo3champ... no just no.. now everybody and their brother is going to be asking, and i doubt OP's store has that many in stock to sell him 52 MLB the show 11's...

and I now petition to have this thread removed from CAG say aye!

[quote name='scott_matthews']If only there were some sort of forum feature whereby you could see what all of the previous comments on a topic were. They should totally add that sort of functionality. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Nice try at being a smartass but they dont have a search feature on the mobile version of the site. :roll:

Yup, someone marked it Online Only to bypass the street date prompt then. I am pretty sure someone did this on purpose, because the only time something gets marked online only is during an online return. Hmmm.

That makes sense now...kind of. It isn't clearance. That's the online return bar code that prints out for some items that get returned and are still able to be sold. That would be why they blocked out the upc bar code. How the person who returned it got it early is still beyond me. What did game name show up as on the receipt?

[quote name='joeyshadows']That makes sense now...kind of. It isn't clearance. That's the online return bar code that prints out for some items that get returned and are still able to be sold. That would be why they blocked out the upc bar code. How the person who returned it got it early is still beyond me. What did game name show up as on the receipt?[/QUOTE]

It comes up as TGT.COM 24 $30.06 on the receipt. It wasn't just 1 copy there was about 10 there when I bought it.

[quote name='robEstyles']It comes up as TGT.COM 24 $30.06 on the receipt. It wasn't just 1 copy there was about 10 there when I bought it.[/QUOTE]

I was just at this Target and can confirm that there are no more available on the clearance endcap with games, though they had a bunch of copies of DJ Hero and Dragon Age Origins.

You can mark something as Online Only storeside through Target's equipment. I'm not sure if it would work on street dated items, but the person might have used a fake DPCI from another game and marked these online only. It wouldn't show they original game on the receipt because of the online only code.

probably there were 50 games that arrived at that store but the nice employee that was good enough to mark them clearance bought 40 of them.

i also picked up a few dc universe pc games for 12.48 a few days prior to release, same issue barcode blacked out and had to scan the clearance tag

Its nice to see that the case does say works with the MOVE, DL demo and it didn't work with move and they change the controls to the stick which was weird. Kinda of looking at 2k11 instead, have to wait and see, but might stop by and check anyways.

[quote name='Masterkyo']No go at Target in Independence and Blue Spring MO.[/QUOTE]

Gah!, didn't think we'd be lucky enough to get this deal although I haven't checked the northland stores yet...

I wonder if someone's getting canned over this mess up?

[quote name='ssjmichael']! th!nk w!! n!!d more actua!!y!!!!

And I don't think most, if any people here care about getting it early. They care about the potential of getting it for $29.99[/QUOTE]

I think some people here care. The price is nice for sure, but there are some diehards of the game here, and even moreso on other forums that would gladly travel a few hours for the chance to pay retail even if it meant getting it a day or two early.

Ill be going to that same Milltown, NJ target tommarrow and see what the hell is going on in there (and if there is any, you'll be seeing some ebay auctions popping up tommarrow night :p) of course I'll have to keep one for myself!

FUUUUU now if only I could have gotten my hands on a deal like that...Why is there no target in a 40 mile radius and not past a mountain pass here exactly? -___-

Moving here has dicked me out of another potential deal yet again.

[quote name='StealOfADeal']That has got to be one of the best screw ups ever, I did get Madden 11 for 19.99 on it's release date from wal-mart here.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? How did I miss that? lol

Was it the one on 12th or Interstate Dr.?

It was the one on 12th, was gonna go to Gamestop but there were a ton of peeps in line, hit wally world and it was in the case with the 2010 sticker, they honored the screw-up after I said it out loud, ended up grabbing several peoples attention so they got the game as well, haha. But I would have done the ebay deal had I not been a broke college kid! (sadface)

I live in Newark and can drive but with gas prices and me not caring much for the game.. it's not worth it.

ok....just a reminder, I picked up the last two copies. The only thing you'll find is dragon age with the expansion and dlc for 30, and other goodies like sesame street color books featuring elmo for 3 bucks.......

[quote name='mke464']ok....just a reminder, I picked up the last two copies. The only thing you'll find I'd dragon age with the expansion and dlc for 30, and other goodies like sesame street color books featuring elmo for 3 bucks.......[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why I can't believe this thread is still in the deals section instead of the graveyard or the regional forum.

[quote name='alvarez16']Has anybody checked another target?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

No, nobody checks the other Targets. Why would we do such a thing?

Picked up a copy in Norridge, IL. There's one more left. As mentioned earlier, scanning the actual UPC prompts "Do not sell until 3/8" or whatever and the Online Item tag ringed up as "TGT.com 24" @ $30.06

[quote name='boogie4114']for me its both and my friend is willing to pay $70 if he can have it in his hands today cuz we are baseball junkies[/QUOTE]

Wow, nice friend you are....

Picked up the last one at the hip. Thanks for the tip[quote name='typeRJ']Picked up a copy in Norridge, IL. There's one more left. As mentioned earlier, scanning the actual UPC prompts "Do not sell until 3/8" or whatever and the Online Item tag ringed up as "TGT.com 24" @ $30.06[/QUOTE]

Damn, I usually stay far away from the HIP, but I would've gone down there for this deal!

None at Lake Zurich, Palatine, or Arlington Heights Illinois locations...

Called my local store and none were in stock. I started a thread in the "Request a Deal" section but if anyone knows any pre-order bonuses or savings, please make a thread. I gotta get this game at launch.

bread's done
Back