MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? You guys ever been punched or kneed in they eye when you're not expecting it? Vision is a little hazy after...koscheck might have won because of lack of discipline, but I don't see him faking that because he solidly took a knee while
downed, which caused his forearm to hit him in the eye. Check the replay.

Look, I understand it is a fighters right to have a moment after an illegal blow, but for him to ham it up as though he were poked in the eye is just garbage; stuff like that belongs in regional shows not the UFC.

I believe Koscheck actually was poked in the eye, but it was before the illegal knee. It happened right before the part they replayed like ten times on the broadcast. There are some gifs of it floating around on the internet.

[quote name='myka22']I believe Koscheck actually was poked in the eye, but it was before the illegal knee. It happened right before the part they replayed like ten times on the broadcast. There are some gifs of it floating around on the internet.[/QUOTE]

exactly.

you know what happened? the announcers thought the eye issue came from the illegal knee and went on to say they couldnt see it landing from the replays of the knee, which it didnt. people get all worked up and start trying to call the guy out based on the announcers bad info.

if you wanna talk shit about kos and that fight at least bring up something relevant like the eye poke to aj.

[quote name='paz9x']exactly.

you know what happened? the announcers thought the eye issue came from the illegal knee and went on to say they couldnt see it landing from the replays of the knee, which it didnt. people get all worked up and start trying to call the guy out based on the announcers bad info.

if you wanna talk shit about kos and that fight at least bring up something relevant like the eye poke to aj.[/QUOTE]

Any way you slice it, Kos is still a douchebag. Forgive me for not being willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. When he starts carrying himself with a little class, I'll start taking him seriously.

[quote name='paz9x']exactly.

if you wanna talk shit about kos and that fight at least bring up something relevant like the eye poke to aj.[/QUOTE]

I dont care about how often he fights, nobody cares about that. HE did fake the injury in the Johnson fight, go watch it again. Damn think before you speak.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I dont care about how often he fights, nobody cares about that. HE did fake the injury in the Johnson fight, go watch it again. Damn think before you speak.[/QUOTE]

think before i speak huh. what a jackass. how about you watch the fight because you dont know what the fuck youre talking about.

n8 - i dont care for him, i dont care for his style, i sure dont care for his personality, I just respect him as a fighter. as for taking him seriously, well as a fighter is an unquestionable top 10 ww.

makler - yes the two eye pokes, eye pokes are shitty, and really if theres something to be made of him being shady in that fight then at least direct it at something legitimate like those.

[quote name='blueweltall']Anybody watching strikeforce tommorrow? Been a long time since we saw Cung Le in the cage.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Between WEC 45 and Strikeforce it's gonna be an ENTERTAINING evening. I wanna see how Scott Smith handles the Cung Le kicks.
Hope the ring rust isn't too detrimental. :D

Cung Le is an incredibly one-dimensional fighter. Paper Champion at best. He had no ground-game against Frank Shamrock. If anyone takes him down, I'd imagine it's gameover.

[quote name='redshadow']Cung Le is an incredibly one-dimensional fighter. Paper Champion at best. He had no ground-game against Frank Shamrock. If anyone takes him down, I'd imagine it's gameover.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but as far as tonight goes, Scott Smith isn't going to try to take him down. He's going to stand with him, and he'll get picked apart. One-dimensional fighter vs one-dimensional fighter, but at least Cung Le has kicks.

what are you guys watching tonight?
i think ill dvr wec and watch strikeforce live.
i expect the strikeforce event to be more of a spectacle.

Watch WEC and find a feed for Strikeforce since I canceled Showtime since Dexter is done.

Predictions

Wec

Cerrone
Njokuani
Yahya
Jorgensen

Strikeforce

Smith
Thomson
Souza by pretzel
Lawal

[quote name='paz9x']what are you guys watching tonight?
i think ill dvr wec and watch strikeforce live.
i expect the strikeforce event to be more of a spectacle.[/QUOTE]

Luckily WEC comes on at 7pm for me and Strikeforce doesn't start until 10pm so I'll be able to catch both since there won't be overlap.
Some pizza and some good fights. Does life get much better? :D:D

[quote name='Ronzilla']Luckily WEC comes on at 7pm for me and Strikeforce doesn't start until 10pm so I'll be able to catch both since there won't be overlap.
Some pizza and some good fights. Does life get much better? :D:D[/QUOTE]
i need to check my local listings. i was basing my times off the event times not the local broadcast.
i hope im as lucky.

[quote name='paz9x']thomson/melendez was fantastic. definitely in the discussion for fight of the year.[/QUOTE]

+1 .That fight was just great.

I just watched the Strikeforce show, and it was my first time seeing the promotion. I was pretty impressed. It's great to have an American alternative to the UFC since, due to being a DirecTV customer, I can't watch WEC.

How often do they run shows- twice a month? I know the next one is on January 30th.

[quote name='Matt Young']I just watched the Strikeforce show, and it was my first time seeing the promotion. I was pretty impressed. It's great to have an American alternative to the UFC since, due to being a DirecTV customer, I can't watch WEC.

How often do they run shows- twice a month? I know the next one is on January 30th.[/QUOTE]

The actual Strikeforce shows are like every other month with a Strikeforce Challengers card in between. They might have more events next year now that they got a deal with DREAM and network tv deal in CBS.

[quote name='Maklershed']Anyone else watch WEC 45? Some good fights there. I loved watching Cerrone beat up Ratcliff (despite the 3 groin shots and a cage grab).[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was a good event. Most of the fights ended in KO or subs. Disappointed in Horodecki's performance. Has to be one of the single dumbest decisions ever in MMA.

chris.gif

Payoffs:

Scott Smith: $55,000 (no win bonus)
def. Cung Le via: $150,000

Gilbert Melendez: $55,000 (no win bonus)
def. Josh Thomson: $30,000

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza: $65,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Matt Linland: $50,000

Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
def. Mike Whitehead: $30,000

Antwain Britt: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus)
def. Scott Lighty: $5,000

Justin Wilcox: $5,000 (no win bonus)
def. Daisuke Nakamura: $200

Alex Crispim: $4,000 ($2,000 win bonus)
def. A.J. Fonseca: $2,000

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Weird night of fights, but a very eventful and exciting night. Seeing HULK HOGAN cut a promo on UFC TV was surreal, but awesome. Kimbo-Houston varied between either being incredibly exciting and electric between the fast action and the hot crowd and being a fight where just nothing happened. Rogan saved those segments by pointing out how ridiculous it looked, but man did that ever grind the show to a halt. Kimbo showed more here than in any other fight, doing a sick suplex, an attempted guillotine, and an attempted rear naked choke.

The Jones-Hammill fight was exciting, both for the fast action in it at times and the finish that saw Jones hit an illegal elbow, get a point deducted, THEN lose because Hamill couldn't continue. The win didn't do anything for Hamill, but the loss actually may have helped Jones since he didn't come off as mad outside of like one second when he had a huge WTF!? expression on his face.

Roy Nelson winning was no real surprise given his experience, but man did he ever just rule here. Buffer calling him a KUNG FU FIGHTER, coming out to ""Fat" by Weird Al, making fun of his weight, and yet STILL coming off as a bit arrogant due to how sarcastic he was after the fight. It was a good star-making night for him. The McSweeney fight sure started out great - with THE FIRST MINUTE being taken up by the pre-fight graphic, and the Penn-Sanchez interview being constantly interrupted by the director talking before and during it was bizarre. Very TNA-riffic stuff there. Maybe Dixie's just cursed.

Chuck and Tito being announced as coaches for the next season of TUF was slightly anti-climatic not because of who was announced, but because it came out of nowhere - they just built it up for a second and then reveal that Chuck's coming out of retirement. Seemed...a little underwhelming, but I'm sure video packages will rectify that issue later on.

Screens -

Surreal

The first minute of the McSweeney fight -

Quotes -
Kimbo - If Houston Alexander is a gatekeeper, then I got one thing to say - Houston, we got a problem!
Rogan - Nelson uses that gut to his advantage!
Goldberg - There’s TNA wrestler Hulk Hogan, with TNA president Dixie Carter and former WCW president and WWE personality, Eric Bischoff.
Rogan - When are we gonna see Hulk Hogan wrestle in TNA?!
Hogan - JANUARY FOURTH, WE GO TO WAR! WATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE UFC RUNS WILD ON YOU!
Goldberg - If you’re not a fan of Hulk Hogan, you’re not a fan of entertainment! HE’S A PART OF THE FAMILY HERE ON SPIKE! HULKAMANIA IS HERE TONIGHT!
Rogan - This is weird - like over a minute of just spinning around in a circle.
Rogan - I thought the fight woulda been over by now.
Goldberg - And had four replays from five different angles.
Crowd - KIM-BO! KIM-BO!
Rogan - He’s circling around him like a merry go round.
Rogan - I’ve never seen Houston follow a strategy this well, but he’s becoming…boring!
Goldberg - Who’d have thought?
Rogan - KIMBO IS DOMINATING HOUSTON ALEXANDER ON THE GROUND!
Fan - STAND THEM UP!
(Nelson comes out to “Fat”)Goldberg - Oh no he didn’t…
Rogan - Nelson lost to Arlovski, but of course, he was in side control, and well, if you know about EXC’s history in trying to get guys to fight stand-up…
Goldberg - Nelson is fat, but quick.
Rogan - Imagine how fast he’d be if he was in shape.
Buffer - THIS MAN IS A KUNG-FU FIGHTER! ROY “BIG COUNTRY” NELSON!
Rogan - Brenden going to the body…I’m not even sure Nelson even feels those.
Rogan - Nelson’s cardio is another surprise - he’s a big fat guy, but he’s got great cardio.
Goldberg - You’re funny - you should be a comedian!
(after Nelson rubs his belly)Rogan - Imagine him as UFC Heavyweight champion!
Rogan - How ya doing?
Nelson - Good. A little tired. I want some Burger King now.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry for being behind the times, but I just watched this on Tuesday as it didn't come out on the XBox until then (I don't have pay TV.) FYI none of the promo stuff you mentioned or even the new coaches for TUF 11 are on the feed on the XBox, just the fights. Also the XBox feed showed the entire McSweeney fight, but there was no commentary for the first like 30-45 seconds.

How was the Jon Jones fight not a no contest? Yes the other guy couldn't continue after the illegal elbows, but he had been pounded on in the bad end of the mount for 60-90 seconds and was actually hurt on the slam that led to the mount. To me, that seems like an easy no contest decision, but I'm a novice at this stuff so I would like an expert (s) opinion.

That line that plays in the UFC game of Rogan's call of one of Houston Alexander's fights just developed into a new level of irony for me since he spent the entire fight circling Kimbo looking for leg kicks. Good early strategy, but you have to score points/do more damage at some point. That second round suplex was SICK. Are they going to make Kimbo a light heavy or let him stay at heavy?

I really hate Roy Nelson for his attitude and wanted Brendan to win so bad, but he was just overmatched and Nelson has enough power if he gets a clean hit to put somebody down.

Although there's something about McSweeney I like even though he's probably as much of a jerk as Nelson. Maybe it's seeing a heavyweight throw kicks and knees like lightweights or that I accept his temperment more because he's Irish.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
How was the Jon Jones fight not a no contest? Yes the other guy couldn't continue after the illegal elbows, but he had been pounded on in the bad end of the mount for 60-90 seconds and was actually hurt on the slam that led to the mount. To me, that seems like an easy no contest decision, but I'm a novice at this stuff so I would like an expert (s) opinion.
[/QUOTE]

im not an expert but the answer is simple.

when a fighter cannot continue because of an illegal strike, its a dq.
while matt got wrecked before the elbow, that illegal elbow opened up a horrible cut that was the immediate reason for ending the fight, thus the dq.

[quote name='paz9x']im not an expert but the answer is simple.

when a fighter cannot continue because of an illegal strike, its a dq.
while matt got wrecked before the elbow, that illegal elbow opened up a horrible cut that was the immediate reason for ending the fight, thus the dq.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the ref screwed up. It wasn't the damage to the face that stopped the fight. Hamill couldn't continue due to his dislocated shoulder. Instead of a DQ, there should have been a point taken away for the downward elbow strike.

[quote name='steve967']Actually, the ref screwed up. It wasn't the damage to the face that stopped the fight. Hamill couldn't continue due to his dislocated shoulder. Instead of a DQ, there should have been a point taken away for the downward elbow strike.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh...gray area. Paz is pretty much dead on. I agree that it was a ridiculously fortunate call for Hamill, because he had lost the fight long before that elbow was thrown. But the action was stopped because an illegal strike was thrown. A doctor was brought in, Hamill was tended to, and it was made known that he couldn't continue. A question of "why can't you continue?" does not get asked. But the action wouldn't have been broken up for a separated shoulder...and he most certainly wouldn't have thrown in the towel because of one. It is what it is.

I still argue that the elbows were really only "downward striking" because Matt was holding his arms up trying to defend himself and deflected Jones arms a couple times. This is really no different than a fighter getting punched in the head and turning, which causes him to get punched on the back of the head (which is an illegal blow).

If you watch it, you can tell he's trying to throw them at an angle. The reason I say this is because if you WANTED to throw a downward elbow, you wouldn't do it in the awkward manner that he does it. Either way though, Jones proved to be a force in that fight. At that point, he could have beaten Hamill by just bitch slapping him across the face the rest of the round. I'm really looking forward to Jones next fight.

[quote name='steve967']Actually, the ref screwed up. It wasn't the damage to the face that stopped the fight. Hamill couldn't continue due to his dislocated shoulder. Instead of a DQ, there should have been a point taken away for the downward elbow strike.[/QUOTE]

the reason matt couldnt actually fight and the reason the fight was stopped are not the same.
the ref stopped the fight because of the elbow to deduct a point, came to check on matt and seeing the cut and subsequent blood flow the fight was stopped. he asked matt if he could continue but matt didnt answer since he obviously couldnt hear and probably couldnt see through the blood.

matt revealed the shoulder issue after the fight had been called a stoppage.

the rules are solid and the win/loss as it is, is just in my opinion.
everybody knows jones totally dominated matt and was dq'd
he didnt dominate as a result of an illegal strike he just took the loss.
the rules are there to help keep the fighters safe.

jones is like fedor, they have a loss on their records but theyre both in essence, undefeated.

i can see that being quoted and misconstrued haha.

Good Christmas for me as far as MMA stuff is concerned. Comcast in my area just added Spike HD and HDNet. So now not only do I get to see UFC in HD but HDNet appears to air K-1 and Dream events. I think if I get Showtime I'll be completely covered for all MMA leagues. :lol:

[quote name='Maklershed']Just watched Cung Le vs Scott Smith. That fight was insane and definitely did not end up the way I thought it would.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Scott Smith seems to always look like he's losing then pulls out a crazy win. He need to change his name from "Hands of Steel" to "The Comeback Kid".

No talk about last nights UFC?! Oh and does anyone have a trial code for the fight club. Going to UFC 111 in Newark in March, tickets go on sale to the public on Jan 8 and for Fight Club members Jan 6. So trying to get a code so I can get mine early. Does anyone know how much decent seats will be?

I thought I made a post about last night's UFC, but that must have been one of the times my internet crapped out, so I probably lost it. Anyway, I was most impressed with Paul Daley last night. He continues to impress, and I can only wonder what's going to happen when he and Dan Hardy are vying for shots at GSP down the road (since they're teammates and all).

Rashad looked very solid and very careless within the same fight, so what else is new? Silva could have and SHOULD have knocked him out in that 3rd round. I was disappointed in Jacob Volkman's showing. I didn't expect him to beat Kampmann, but he was completely outclassed, and I have to wonder if we'll be seeing him in the UFC again.

I am starting to feel like these cards are becoming a bit watered down. I know all the injuries don't help, but the UFC really doesn't need to do more than 12 shows a year. Those 2 a month stretches really set up some lackluster cards to follow. At least we have Couture vs. Coleman to look forward to... :roll:

I thought 108 was a pretty good card. It was a lot better than I expected, anyway. I can't say that I'm looking forward to 109 at all. Paul Daley looked great once again. I was happy to see JDS knock Yvel the fuck out, because I can't stand that guy. Rashad looked really good for the first two rounds, but he should have been knocked out in the 3rd. I'm with you, Nate, Volkman looked way worse than he did in his last fight. That's too bad, because he probably won't be back for another fight.

Does anyone else think the Evans/Silva fight was a 28-28 draw??? I see Rashad winning the first two with nothing but control basically, very little damage so 10-9 and 10-9. The third round I see as a 10-8. Silva knocked him silly, had him rocked, got a knockdown. 28-28 in my eyes.

[quote name='One4Deuce']Does anyone else think the Evans/Silva fight was a 28-28 draw??? I see Rashad winning the first two with nothing but control basically, very little damage so 10-9 and 10-9. The third round I see as a 10-8. Silva knocked him silly, had him rocked, got a knockdown. 28-28 in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Ehh...I don't know if Silva did enough in that 3rd round to negate Rashad's complete dominance in the first two rounds. But that doesn't let Rashad off the hook for getting lazy either. I was actually getting pissed at Silva for trying to bait Rashad into that "come on! let's fight, dude!" chest thumping crap. But then, lo and behold, dumbass Evans falls for it. I think 29-28 was fair, but Rashad almost gave the fight away. In the end, that kind of performance won't win Evans the belt back. Had it gone another round, he probably gets KO'd.

I'd say had it gone about 15 more seconds and Rashad would've been knocked out. :lol:

Having said that though I agree with the judge's scoring. Rashad's total dominance for the first 2 rounds outweighed Silva's flash of brilliance in the third round.

Actually I completely blame Silva for letting Rashad have all the time he wanted to recover. Silva's reliance on counter-punching for power shots wasn't going to work on post-machida gunshy evans. He should have tried to take the fight under his own power but he was too gassed to do so.

Most impressive performance of that fight was Rashad showing he still has one of the sickest double-legs at 205. Pinning Silva sideways against the cage wall so hard he can't fall to the ground takes an amazing shot.

[quote name='havoksend']Just got my tickets for UFC 111, Section A row 9, better be good.[/QUOTE]
Nice, I've still never been to a live UFC event. I've been to a few smokers but that's it. I balked at the UFC when it was in Minneapolis last year because I didn't have the money at the time, wish I would have.

I've never been to one either. So I am hoping it is good. Worrying about being able to see the octagon, since the judges cant and they are right next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back