MODS PLEASE LOCK - The Wii VC Games - Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Strell']WTF

I was gonna talk about how I finally found a card at BB and used a GC and then went and got Mario 64 + Kid Icarus + Zelda, but THEN I SAW THIS NONSENSE.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I didn't grow up nursing on an NES controller like you did, so chill out. The NES came out when I was in high school and I was too busy with school (private school: 3-6 hours of homework every night) and basketball/volleyball to play video games any more. When I was in college and laid up with a knee injury my girlfriend got me a NES (which I still have) and I played SMB for about 2 hours, total, probably. I was by myself, stuck on a couch, no interwebs to access at the time - thus I didn't know about "warp zones". Then I played it again for the first time when I downloaded it on the VC. So, yeah, at *that* point I got on the web, found the Youtube video of the guy beating it in 5 minutes, and thus learned where they were. (Now, of course I had HEARD of them from video game magazines/forums/etc before, but I didn't know how to get to them).

So RELAX, Strell, it's OK ;).

Or should I distress you even further by mentioning all the "classics" which I have never played nor even seen anyone play: Metroid, Super Metroid, *any* Castlevania, any of the SNES Mario titles except for SMB3 as ported to the GBA, the N64 Zeldas, LttP (until a few weeks ago), Halo ;), anything Kirby except for Air Ride and Canvas Curse, any SSB before Melee, any Star Fox before Assault, Kid Icarus, any FF except for III on the DS, this Earthbound/Mother thing you rant on and on about, etc...

I was just joking. :(

Besides, knowing about them != "I didn't know they existed."

Sounds like you knew of them.

Which would have precluded the previous post.

[quote name='io']
Or should I distress you even further
[/quote]

!

by mentioning all the "classics" which I have never played nor even seen anyone play
!!
Metroid, Super Metroid
Death.
*any* Castlevania
More death.
any of the SNES Mario titles except for SMB3 as ported to the GBA
Dig your rotting corpse out of the ground and proceed to kill it again.
the N64 Zeldas, LttP (until a few weeks ago),
Megadeth. \m/
Redemption.
anything Kirby except for Air Ride and Canvas Curse
Urge to kill again rising again.
any SSB before Melee,
Slight redemption.
any Star Fox before Assault
This includes Adventures so that makes it partially ok.
Kid Icarus
any FF except for III on the DS
*Shakes head and other body parts.*
this Earthbound/Mother thing you rant on and on about, etc..
NO MORE REDEMPTION.

[quote name='Strell']
any SSB before melee
Slight redemption.
[/QUOTE]

Yes I was going to mention that too... I dont think SSB really became an all-time classic until Melee.

[quote name='zatos']Yes I was going to mention that too... I dont think SSB really became an all-time classic until Melee.[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you Nintendo loyals got your badge, but where I got mine, the original SSB rocked the 64.

[quote name='snipegod']I don't know where you Nintendo loyals got your badge, but where I got mine, the original SSB rocked the 64.[/quote]

Compared to SSBM now its nothing. But back then SSB was the shit. You were the man if you had Ness unlocked.

[quote name='snipegod']I don't know where you Nintendo loyals got your badge, but where I got mine, the original SSB rocked the 64.[/QUOTE]

Yes color me criminal, but I didnt play the original until after Melee. I'm sure it kicked all kinds of ass when it was out, but with all the insane amounts of added stuff in Melee and just kicking ass in general... well I love it even though I dont normally like fighters.

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm awaiting* the arrival of the three people on this earth (you guys know who you are) that consider SSB superior to Melee - usually because their character was "nerfed" in the sequel.[/QUOTE]
My friend is one of those guys, though his reason is mostly because of him owning an Xbox instead of a Cube, and therefore it was impossible for him to enjoy any GameCube game.

I think he was just mad that he couldn't practice at home. ;)

Hey, how many of you accessed the easter eggs in the Atari Adventure game (with the dragons that looked like ducks ;))? Huh? Anyone? Now, how in the hell did I know about that (now that you mention it Botticus)? It must have been some gaming magazine - I'm pretty sure I had some subscription at the time. Probably "Stone Age Gaming" or something.

Well, to be fair, SSBM could be considered more difficult to play than the previous iteration due to its large, complex levels in which it is easy to lose track of your character if you aren't expecting the level to morph. The Pokemon stadium level and the Metroid levels are good examples of this.

[quote name='io']Hey, how many of you accessed the easter eggs in the Atari Adventure game (with the dragons that looked like ducks ;))? Huh? Anyone? Now, how in the hell did I know about that (now that you mention it Botticus)? It must have been some gaming magazine - I'm pretty sure I had some subscription at the time. Probably "Stone Age Gaming" or something.[/QUOTE]

I was SO disappointed with that game. In the preview pictures your guy was an octagon, but when the game finally hit they had changed him to a square! Talk about lame! They said that the Atari 2600 just didn't have enough power to handle it...

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm awaiting* the arrival of the three people on this earth (you guys know who you are) that consider SSB superior to Melee - usually because their character was "nerfed" in the sequel. Smash Brothers was a great way to kill an hour or two with some friends - Melee is/was a great way to kill a month.

*In my dictionary**, "awaiting" and "dreading" are synonyms.

**In my dictionary, "dictionary" and "thesaurus" are also synonyms.
[/quote]

I have four friends that constantly play the original, and despise Melee. To be fair, two of them play almost no videogames, and Melee was too fast for them to handle. And the other two have only played it a couple times. (They are the "GayCube!!1!" variety.)

That being said, the original was still immensly fun, and the sequel made everything better.

Brawl can't come soon enough.

Not sure what form this would take, but it would be cool if downloaded along with games (or just made available before purchase):

An innovative company can't just worry about what fans want but also anticipate what fans don't even know they want. So when the discussion turned to the Wii's 24/7 online service, Fils-Aime threw a curve. Yes, the system will continue to receive new channels and downloadable games. There are other downloadable-content ideas floating around too. "We have a tremendous amount of old Nintendo Power [magazine] content, for example, that we could present to consumers as a way to get smart about Virtual Console."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1552624/20070215/index.jhtml

[quote name='zatos']I was SO disappointed with that game. In the preview pictures your guy was an octagon, but when the game finally hit they had changed him to a square! Talk about lame! They said that the Atari 2600 just didn't have enough power to handle it...[/QUOTE]

Hey io, just in case you took it the wrong way, I wanted you to know that I wasn't making fun of you by this. Cheers!

[quote name='Mattte']Compared to SSBM now its nothing. But back then SSB was the shit. You were the man if you had Ness unlocked.[/quote]

I can top you all. I actually played and own the Mario fighting game Cart Fighter on the original NES. It was a knock-off fighting game from Taiwan that used Mario character sprites. It was very popular in Asia (except Japan, I suppose), and I believe that was the inspiration for SSB.

Playing SSB for so long on the N64 made SSBM that much more awesome for me.

Although if it comes to the VC I doubt I'll download.

[quote name='zatos']I am really jonesing for a good VC game I want to play. Paper Mario (the first one)... Majora's Mask... Super Mario RPG, Earthbound... among countless others. I have a feeling all the ones I want aren't going to be out for a while. :/[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, yes, yes! To all. I've been jonesing for Majora's Mask lately, but I'm too lazy to pull out the N64 and hook it up.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Kirby was probably our best VC buy so far.[/quote]

Agreed. The kids and I are enjoying Kirby. I also downloaded Kid Icarus because I played it as a teen, and it's exactly as I remember: Unforgiving.

The only thing that really gets me is the slow-down with multiple enemies onscreen... does the emulator *exactly* recreate the NES? You'd think with the added horsepower that the slowdowns could be eliminated. Probably a repost, I know...

An entry at GoNintendo.com indicates that a listing for Donkey Kong Country has been found using the Firefox trick, meaning we'll probably see it this Monday, or possibly the following Monday at the latest. Not surprising, since it was listed in this month's Nintendo Power as well.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13352

My bf and I have been playing the recent batch of VC games all night. In fact, he's still playing Kid Icarus, which apparently was one of the first games he got as a kid. I wasted him in Ice Climbers, so we didn't play that too long :p I was really surprised to see the fuzzy white creatures in Ice Climbers. I guess I played the Japanese version as a kid where you'd beat up seals instead of fuzzy white creatures. Anyways, definitely enjoying this week's games... much more than Wii Play.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I could care less about Smash now that Naruto GNT EX is on the way along with a Wii Freeloader.[/quote]

I was gonna get EX, but it got slightly lower scores than GNT4, which I already have. Methinks I'll wait it out for a couple of the sequels to hit.

But there's no way it could replace Brawl!

And to keep this post semi on-topic, I hunted for a Wii Points card yesterday and came up empty handed. I'm going out again today though, so I guess I can search a couple other stores.

I took my Wii to work and we had a blast playing Mario Kart 64 with 4 wavebirds. Easily worth 10 bucks. It's amazing being able to pack in all these games into your Wii and not having to worry about carts or having more then one console.

I had some predictions, but I lost them... I'll have to find out where I was talking about them. Don't expect much good, but we could get something of the following based on recent releases in other territories:

Excitebike
New Adventure Island
DKC
Zelda II
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV

[quote name='lordwow']I have been playing LTTP more than anything else this week. This game holds up so well.[/QUOTE]
Me too. I am on the final palace in the Dark World, but can't remember where to find the cape. I know it isn't required to get, but I have to complete it 100% and for some reason I don't want to look on gamefaqs.

I don't get the level up trick with kid icarus. I was sitting there and got up over 100,000 and I didn't see any change in my life. What's supposed to happen?

EDIT: I see, you have to make it to the end first

[quote name='Scorch']Tomorrow:

NES: Excitebike, Legend of Kage (possibly)
SNES: Donkey Kong Country
TG16: New Adventure Island[/quote]That a guess or a rumor?

[quote name='Scorch']Tomorrow:

NES: Excitebike, Legend of Kage (possibly)
SNES: Donkey Kong Country
TG16: New Adventure Island[/QUOTE]
finally dkc. Excitebike is a maybe. I loved the game, but not much depth to warrent $5.00

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Isn't Excite Bike an unlockable in Excite Bike 64? If so, you might as well wait for that to get EB.[/QUOTE]

The question is, are they gonna port Excite Bike 64? I mean, we've only gotten two games so far and you'd think we'd get stuff like both Zeldas, Smash Bros and Star Fox before Excite Bike 64. And even if we do get Excite Bike 64, they might disable the original excite bike.

[quote name='pinoy530']The question is, are they gonna port Excite Bike 64? I mean, we've only gotten two games so far and you'd think we'd get stuff like both Zeldas, Smash Bros and Star Fox before Excite Bike 64. And even if we do get Excite Bike 64, they might disable the original excite bike.[/quote]
Anytime soon? No, especially not if Excite Bike comes out soon as they'd like to sell as many of those before blinsiding them with the better deal. They haven't changed anything else in these games, like glitches and stuff like that, so why would they go through the trouble of disabling content?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Anytime soon? No, especially not if Excite Bike comes out soon as they'd like to sell as many of those before blinsiding them with the better deal. They haven't changed anything else in these games, like glitches and stuff like that, so why would they go through the trouble of disabling content?[/quote]Of course they wont take it out, they will just charge more Wii points for it, lol fuckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back