MODS PLEASE LOCK - The Wii VC Games - Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
KIrby is a great one. MOney well spent.

I didn't realize the DS version was so much like this NES one.

I avoided KId Icarus because I heard somewhere else that it was difficult.

[quote name='trip1eX']KIrby is a great one. MOney well spent.

I didn't realize the DS version was so much like this NES one.

I avoided KId Icarus because I heard somewhere else that it was difficult.[/quote]

Did Jonas Salk avoid curing polio because it was difficult?!?!

[quote name='trip1eX']KIrby is a great one. MOney well spent.

I didn't realize the DS version was so much like this NES one. [/quote]
To be honest, I don't think that the Kirby series has changed at all since the first one on GB. For better or worse, the games are geared towards kids, and in that field ease of use and consistency are two very important factors.

I'll hold out until my birthday a month from now --when I hopefully get some points cards or some cash-- to purchase Kirby and Kid Icarus. I've spent far too much money on video games this year. (And if you don't believe me, check my spending tab link in my sig!)

[quote name='CouRageouS']That kinda sucks. As much as I appreciate an old school game challenge, I also like seeing everything a game has to offer. Well since they took out the codes, just wait and buy the VC Game Genie! I read on gamefaqs its coming out next week ;)[/quote]

Actually Nintendo didn't "take out the codes," they just aren't support over the Virtual Console. The cheat codes in Kid Icarus were processed by a chip which was on the cartridge itself, which obviously is not possible without reworking the VC game to accept them. Since we know that Nintendo is not altering the VC games at all, they didn't take the time to add this functionality.

That being said, the progress codes that are generated in the game do work.

[quote name='botticus']Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES) has been rated by the Australian equivalent of the ESRB.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13183[/QUOTE]

If that is the game I'm thinking of I'm so buying it. I used to go over to my friend's house all the time to play it. Great news!

[quote name='lebowsky']Actually Nintendo didn't "take out the codes," they just aren't support over the Virtual Console. The cheat codes in Kid Icarus were processed by a chip which was on the cartridge itself, which obviously is not possible without reworking the VC game to accept them. Since we know that Nintendo is not altering the VC games at all, they didn't take the time to add this functionality.

That being said, the progress codes that are generated in the game do work.[/QUOTE]

Anyway, if y'ain't got the stuff to finish Kid Icarus without cheating, perhaps you should sell your Wii and pick up knitting instead. :lol:

I'm just curious: can someone with two Wiimotes and/or CC tell me if the price-reduction trick for KI works? I don't have two of either, and I sure don't plan on buying them for one trick (at the moment). However, I just want to make sure the game's intact.

I also found an explanation of why Kirby's Adventure has the issues on the side of the screen. It's an interesting read:

"The bar on the side of the screen issue in Kirby (as well as the slowdowns) are actually present in the original game. This was present in a lot of NES games where the screen scrolled in all four directions. You may not remember seeing this scrolling artifact when you played on the original NES because most older TVs cropped the image, especially when using the RF input on the TV. Look at the edge of the screen games like Karnov, Kid Niki, Shatterhand, or Super Mario Bros 3 (a few that come to mind) on the actual hardware, and you’ll see these effects a lot clearer.

The reason was because of the way the NES drew the playfield: only 32 columns of 8×8px tiles at a time (on the background). The NES simulated scrolling by offsetting the whole screen** by + or - up to 7 pixels. As the scroll passed the 8th pixel, the column on the leaving edge (either the 1st or the 32nd column) would disappear, and a new column on the arriving edge (32nd or 1st, respectively) would appear, and the offset would be reset to - or + 7 pixels. The edge arriving into the scene would have an unspecified palette assigned to it, until it is completely viewable and appear differently from the rest of the screen. Since most people’s TVs were not capable of displaying this, programmers did not make an effort to correct these errors.

** The MMC5 chip allowed Kirby’s Adventure to display a scoreboard at the bottom of the screen that remained in a fixed position at the bottom of the screen."

[quote name='mykevermin']Anyway, if y'ain't got the stuff to finish Kid Icarus without cheating, perhaps you should sell your Wii and pick up knitting instead. :lol:

I'm just curious: can someone with two Wiimotes and/or CC tell me if the price-reduction trick for KI works? I don't have two of either, and I sure don't plan on buying them for one trick (at the moment). However, I just want to make sure the game's intact.[/QUOTE]
price reduction trick?

[quote name='seanr1221']Ok, so I was able to get my score up to 200,000 in world one, which levels you up to 5....here is how.

Towards the end of 1-1, where the McGoos pop out (red things that come out of the ground and shoot at you) look for where the right side of the screen has thick purple bricks, and the left side has small red bricks. However, first you must trigger the McGoos, so jump up enough so they start coming out. Then, put half your body in between both sides of the screen. If done correctly, the McGoos will just shoot at your body on the right side standing on the big purple bricks, while you're free to shoot them from the left. Each one gives you 300 experience points. Sorry that may sound confusing, I just woke up and typed that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this tip! I didn't go all the way with it (damned impatience), but was able to get 3 life blocks by the point where I'm at now (level 2-3).

My wife said she's throwing the Wii out the backdoor if she hears the words "fucking" and "eggplant" in the same sentence today.

EDIT: Mr Blonde, if you pressed A+B on the second NES controller on the original version of the game, the store owners would either offer you a discount, or get pissed and raise all the prices.

Glad to help with the KI level up trick guys. I'm on 3-3 now. While I hate the Eggplant guys, I think the fucking things that steal your special weapons and sell them on the black market are 100X worse.

[quote name='mykevermin']My wife said she's throwing the Wii out the backdoor if she hears the words "fucking" and "eggplant" in the same sentence today.[/QUOTE]
"Honey, you fuckin' rocked the kitchen with that eggplant parmiga--WTF NOT THE WII OH NOEZ!!!!"

All this talk of Kid Icarus makes me want some Wii points!

Hopefully, I can pick some up on Friday, when I have a chance to get out to the stores. Hopefully BB, as I have some GGC's.

Picked up Kirby today, gonna pass on the other two.

Still looking forward to SMRPG and DKC.

VC has been top notch for me to past few weeks.

[quote name='seanr1221']Just beat KI, phew that was a good game.[/QUOTE]

Me too, though it was a tad more difficult since my ear and shoulder were connected while I spent 70 minutes on hold with DHL.

I don't recall Medusa being so easy. If you position Pit just below the center of the room, she fires diagonally down at you, completely missing you each and every time. Moreover, if you get your rhythm shooting down, you'll hit the snake each and every time.

I'm gonna have to play through again, since I didn't get that 5th energy bar or fourth arrow level until I went through 1-1 again. :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']

I'm gonna have to play through again, since I didn't get that 5th energy bar or fourth arrow level until I went through 1-1 again. :lol:[/quote]

Same here. I'm up to 5 arrows I believe (anyone know what the max is?) and just bought the barrel. The strength I'm at right now is amazing, Eggplant bitches die in two hits! :bouncy:

for some reason I saw KI on thought Kirby's Adventure. Don't ask, I must be tired. I just beat Kirby though and the game was WAY TOO addictive. Very fun game and this was the first time I have ever beat it. I want the SNES one now. I am on to "KI" now.

I don't understand people complaining about not being able to find Wii Points Cards in stores. Why not just use a credit/debit card online and buy them there? (And don't give me the "I don't/can't get a credit card" excuse).

[quote name='MasterSun1']I don't understand people complaining about not being able to find Wii Points Cards in stores. Why not just use a credit/debit card online and buy them there? (And don't give me the "I don't/can't get a credit card" excuse).[/QUOTE]

Because Nintendo doesn't accept Gamer's Gift Card $5 off coupons? ;)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Because Nintendo doesn't accept Gamer's Gift Card $5 off coupons? ;)[/QUOTE]

And I'll say it yet again, Nintendo also doesn't take EB/GS, GC, or GR credit obtained by flipping clearance Kmart games ;). I found one at Gamecrazy the other day so I'm set for a little while (1900 points right now). I didn't buy any of this week's releases - I simply can't get excited over NES games. Do any of this week's have save features?

[quote name='io']And I'll say it yet again, Nintendo also doesn't take EB/GS, GC, or GR credit obtained by flipping clearance Kmart games ;). I found one at Gamecrazy the other day so I'm set for a little while (1900 points right now). I didn't buy any of this week's releases - I simply can't get excited over NES games. Do any of this week's have save features?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure all VC games have that feature where you hit the home button, it saves from that point. So when you start the game up again you'll be at the very same place where you left.

[quote name='lilboo']I'm pretty sure all VC games have that feature where you hit the home button, it saves from that point. So when you start the game up again you'll be at the very same place where you left.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that isn't really what I'd want. If you die in the game then you can't go back to that save state, correct? I like being able to save games and go back to the saves if I have to. I don't have the time or patience for "die and you start all over" games. Thus my dislike of SMB beyond messing around with it for 5 minutes.

[quote name='io']Yeah, but that isn't really what I'd want. If you die in the game then you can't go back to that save state, correct? I like being able to save games and go back to the saves if I have to. I don't have the time or patience for "die and you start all over" games. Thus my dislike of SMB beyond messing around with it for 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I thought there was a way to continue from the last level you were on in SMB.
Like holding down one of the buttons when starting it or something like that..

[quote name='io'] Do any of this week's have save features?[/quote]

Haven't downloaded (and don't plan on it) Kid Icarus or Ice Climbers, but Kirby has 3 save slots and it seems to save after every level.

When you go from the game to home menu, then start it back up, you resume wherever you were when you went home.

But if you turn the Wii straight off from the Kirby game, when you restart you choose your save file and go from there.

And if you die you just start at the beginning of the room you're in.

I think this answers your question.

^^^ Yep, thanks... I may, in that case, download Kirby.

porieux - there is a way to do that (looked it up online). That does make the game more enjoyable, especially for my kids. So I suppose you could combine that with the save state to "progress" through SMB in multiple sessions. I also read about the warp zones (didn't know they existed :lol:) and we got to world 8 easily enough. The problem with the restart is it sets you back to the beginning of the world - not a big deal in SMB, except that we can't get through world 8 ;). I only tried it once or twice though myself.

[quote name='io']^^^ Yep, thanks... I may, in that case, download Kirby.[/quote]

I'd reccomend it for only 500 points, and it's rather simple so your kids should enjoy it.

Although, to be honest, I'm a sucker for anything Kirby. :lol:

[quote name='io']^^^ Yep, thanks... I may, in that case, download Kirby.

porieux - there is a way to do that (looked it up online). That does make the game more enjoyable, especially for my kids. So I suppose you could combine that with the save state to "progress" through SMB in multiple sessions. I also read about the warp zones (didn't know they existed :lol:) and we got to world 8 easily enough. The problem with the restart is it sets you back to the beginning of the world - not a big deal in SMB, except that we can't get through world 8 ;). I only tried it once or twice though myself.[/quote]

Kid Icarus also has "saves" in the form of passcodes that it gives you after you die. I'm not sure if those passcodes take you back to the level you were on or just keep the health and items you once had. Either way, better than just a save state.

[quote name='io']Yeah, but that isn't really what I'd want. If you die in the game then you can't go back to that save state, correct? I like being able to save games and go back to the saves if I have to. I don't have the time or patience for "die and you start all over" games. Thus my dislike of SMB beyond messing around with it for 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I agree. VC games need to have a minimum of 2 save states that don't erase and that you can access at any time.

we need to start a thread for the VC games we have downloaded, just to keep track of what fellow CAGers are playing (or maybe even completed).

[quote name='tayaf69']we need to start a thread for the VC games we have downloaded, just to keep track of what fellow CAGers are playing (or maybe even completed).[/quote]Between "now playing" sections in signatures, this and this I think we've got it covered! :)

[quote name='tayaf69']we need to start a thread for the VC games we have downloaded, just to keep track of what fellow CAGers are playing (or maybe even completed).[/QUOTE]

I grant you the power to create said thread, but only if you mention that I was your Muse whilst you made it.

[quote name='io'] I also read about the warp zones (didn't know they existed :lol:) [/QUOTE]
WTF

I was gonna talk about how I finally found a card at BB and used a GC and then went and got Mario 64 + Kid Icarus + Zelda, but THEN I SAW THIS NONSENSE.

[quote name='Strell']WTF

I was gonna talk about how I finally found a card at BB and used a GC and then went and got Mario 64 + Kid Icarus + Zelda, but THEN I SAW THIS NONSENSE.[/quote]

Hahahaha

I don't even remember how I learned about the warp zones as a small child, but all I know is that I knew about them the entire portion of my life that I played that game. Everyone knows about that shit!

I don't mean to shame you or anything, io (although I'm sure Strell does), but he's right - it's insane you had never heard of the warp zones!

I admit, though, I never knew you could start from the last level you died in by holding a button.

I have no idea how the hell we discovered anything game-related as kids. Maybe Nintendo Power clued me in, otherwise I don't know where I would have gotten my information.

Particularly since I wouldn't have gotten Nintendo Power when I first got my NES/SMB.

[quote name='botticus']I have no idea how the hell we discovered anything game-related as kids. Maybe Nintendo Power clued me in, otherwise I don't know where I would have gotten my information.

Particularly since I wouldn't have gotten Nintendo Power when I first got my NES/SMB.[/quote]

Yeah, the word of mouth network that existed between kids for games was amazing. I learned how to do the negative world warp zone trick from my friend Shawn, and the mini-Mario fireball trick from another friend, Brad, who didn't even own an NES!

A little OT, but I remember playing Ikari Warriors with my friend at his house and some how my dude became invincible. I didn't put in any codes or anything like that, I was just suddenly a sort of ghost walking through the levels. I can't remember if I could shoot enemies or not, but I could walk right though them and bullets didn't register, etc. Anyway, my friend got so pissed because I was "cheating," that he turned his NES off! I was mad as hell because there was no way we would have ever gotten that far playing normally. To this day I have never had a glitch that cool happen.

Hahaha that rocks. Man, without the Game Genie I would never have figured out how deep games were.

Honestly, I never became Super Sonic on my own, and never got past the fourth level in Kid Chameleon (although once I found out there were like 70 levels in that game soon after renting it, my friend and I just started warping around). Super Sonic is so bad ass.

[quote name='lebowsky']Yeah, the word of mouth network that existed between kids for games was amazing. I learned how to do the negative world warp zone trick from my friend Shawn, and the mini-Mario fireball trick from another friend, Brad, who didn't even own an NES!
[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? Spill the beans on this stuff.

[quote name='munch']Wait, what? Spill the beans on this stuff.[/quote]

Here is a video showing both. World -1 is right at the beginning and little fire Mario is shown at the end.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhV0K0jFCAE[/media]

For little fire Mario, you must be regular fire Mario and make it to Bowser at the end of any level. Jump and land on Bowser and the axe at the same time to make the trick work. As you can see in the video, if you time it right, you'll change into Super Mario instead of little Mario and Mario will "ice skate" after he lands.

Praise the Lord.

[quote name='George Harrison']We are aware that there are some very successful Japanese franchises that have a small following in the US, and that they could never be reached by putting these products out at retail. We’re open to games released in Japan if we can get them translated properly.[/quote]
http://gonintendo.com/?p=13282

Obviously we can't expect anything of the sort in the near future, but it's nice to finally hear an NoA exec voice it.

I am really jonesing for a good VC game I want to play. Paper Mario (the first one)... Majora's Mask... Super Mario RPG, Earthbound... among countless others. I have a feeling all the ones I want aren't going to be out for a while. :/

Once Super Mario RPG is released, the Wii will be the best thing ever for me. That is my favorite game of all time.

Donkey Kong Country, DK64, and Paper Mario would also be on my list of games I'd buy in a heartbeat from the VC, among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back