MODS PLEASE LOCK - The Wii VC Games - Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully my free Wii points show up in the mail soon. Ice Hockey, LttP and Contra III want me. Unfortunately that's 2100 points. Guess I'll have to wait on one. :whistle2:(

[quote name='daroga']Dang it... I'm feeling the pull to get Mario Kart 64, but I can't for the life of me get a sense for how it will feel playing it on the Classic Controller or the Wavebird...[/quote]

I know, I'm in the same boat - except I don't have a Classic Controller, just a Wavebird or regular GC controller.

I never had an N64 so I don't know how the game feels at all. If it is as responsive as Double Dash, then I'm in, otherwise I am going to wait on some of the impressions of CAGs.

It plays well and is pretty responsive, but it does feel different than DD. Just the hopping vs. sliding into turns changes things. It will also feel slower overall, I believe.

I agree with most that say MK:DS is the perfect refinement of MK64. I also know that I loooooved MK64 during the N64's lifespan.

I have played both Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart DD dozens of times.

Mario Kart 64 is the most fluid kart game ever made. The controls are near perfect, and the jumping adds a much needed element to the genre. Double Dash failed to produce on the jumping capabilities and you were limited to boring short cuts. With 64, there was a short cut in almost every level, and most had to do with a well timed jump.

Mario Kart 64 over DD anyday. Don't wait to get this game.

MK64 AND Contra 3 this week? That 1200 points I'm trying oh so hard to save for when Super Mario RPG comes out is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

I might have to give in and get Contra III to tide me over.

[quote name='tayaf69']I have played both Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart DD dozens of times.

Mario Kart 64 is the most fluid kart game ever made. The controls are near perfect, and the jumping adds a much needed element to the genre. Double Dash failed to produce on the jumping capabilities and you were limited to boring short cuts. With 64, there was a short cut in almost every level, and most had to do with a well timed jump.

Mario Kart 64 over DD anyday. Don't wait to get this game.[/QUOTE]
I second what you said, and Contra rules, I had to pry myself away because I have class in 30 mins.

Wow, I'm a bit disappointed with the sound emulation for Mario Kart 64. Certain music tracks and sound effects (mostly the sound effects, thankfully) sound as if they're at a very low bitrate, and I've noticed the music skipping slightly on rare occasions. But other than that, it plays perfectly - it's just not the perfect emulation we've seen up until this point with our Virtual Console games.

What a sweet day this is! MK64 and Bonanza Bros. for me, thank you Nintendo!

AND DONT GIVE ME ANY OF THAT SHIT ABOUT BONANAZ BROSYR ON THE COLLECTOIN DUISCKS CUZ I AINT GOIT AQ PLAYSTATION @2

[quote name='daroga']Dang it... I'm feeling the pull to get Mario Kart 64, but I can't for the life of me get a sense for how it will feel playing it on the Classic Controller or the Wavebird...[/quote]

Well, I'm fairly easy to please, but I just played it with the classic controller and I thought it handled well :) Man did it bring back memories, too! Just played the first cup, but Moo Moo Farm! and Kalimari Desert! all on my big screen... hurrah!!! :D

[quote name='supershammy']What a sweet day this is! MK64 and Bonanza Bros. for me, thank you Nintendo!

AND DONT GIVE ME ANY OF THAT SHIT ABOUT BONANAZ BROSYR ON THE COLLECTOIN DUISCKS CUZ I AINT GOIT AQ PLAYSTATION @2[/quote]

I didnt know bonanza bros. was THAT exciting of a game..

I didnt even think we'd see contra for a long time, how fucking COOL! I loved this game so much. does anyone know how you move your VC games around in the channels? I want all my ''pimp'' games to be on the front page, so when people play my wii, they know not to read all of the bad purchases Ive made. (ie: baseball)... and just see all of the good :D

[quote name='tiredfornow']I didnt know bonanza bros. was THAT exciting of a game..

I didnt even think we'd see contra for a long time, how fucking COOL! I loved this game so much. does anyone know how you move your VC games around in the channels? I want all my ''pimp'' games to be on the front page, so when people play my wii, they know not to read all of the bad purchases Ive made. (ie: baseball)... and just see all of the good :D[/quote]

Bonanza Bros. is a great 2-player puzzle-actioner that is just as I remember it from youth.

And you grab the game on the channel screen with A+B at the same time.

[quote name='supershammy']Bonanza Bros. is a great 2-player puzzle-actioner that is just as I remember it from youth.

And you grab the game on the channel screen with A+B at the same time.[/quote]

thanks! I hated having to go to page 2 everytime I wanna play something, page 1 is just full of crap nes/tg-16 games... well mostly.

Nifty. I think today I'll buy Mario 64, ALttP, and MK64. Already bought gunstar heroes and contra sounds like another run n gun game, so I'll wait.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I forgot to ask but can we use the dpad on the CC for MK64 for turning, because I am so used to using the PS2's dpad.[/quote]Nope, only analog. Though, given the choice, I can't fathom wanting to use a Dpad over analog.

[quote name='tiredfornow']I didnt know bonanza bros. was THAT exciting of a game..

I didnt even think we'd see contra for a long time, how fucking COOL! I loved this game so much. does anyone know how you move your VC games around in the channels? I want all my ''pimp'' games to be on the front page, so when people play my wii, they know not to read all of the bad purchases Ive made. (ie: baseball)... and just see all of the good :D[/QUOTE]

Hold down A+B, and drag them wherever you want. I actually have them all configured with the Genesis games together, the SNES games together, etc.. I have the News , Shop, and Forecast channel on the second page.

RD

WrestleCrap'sRD;2618576 said:
Hold down A+B, and drag them wherever you want. I actually have them all configured with the Genesis games together, the SNES games together, etc.. I have the News , Shop, and Forecast channel on the second page.

RD

you can even move the main channels? yeeeeeeeah.

[quote name='yukine']fuck yes! Contra III and Mario Kart 64.

And I just got my free $20.00 Visa from Letsplaywii.com, life is good. ;)[/QUOTE]

is that what they are sending out now? i havent heard from them in so long, the last email they sent me said they were working on something.

[quote name='yukine']fuck yes! Contra III and Mario Kart 64.

And I just got my free $20.00 Visa from Letsplaywii.com, life is good. ;)[/quote]Ooh, and you only got your email a day before me, maybe mine (Visa or Points card, doesn't matter to me) will be here tomorrow!

Of course, after putting it off, now every Best Buy but my local one has a classic controller in stock.

[quote name='botticus']Ooh, and you only got your email a day before me, maybe mine (Visa or Points card, doesn't matter to me) will be here tomorrow!
[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you guys talking about and how could I have missed it?? :lol:

Anyway, my 4 year-old is playing Mario Kart 64 at this very moment. He had to come running up to me to tell me it was on the VC right now, so I let him download it (before his brother got home from school).

Now I have a very akward 700 points left... Hmmm....

Edit - OK, I signed up and it looks like you have to sign up with something called "true.com". Is that easy to get out of after you sign up? I sure as hell don't want to be stuck paying for that.

Oh thank goodness. Today is a great day. My Wii Points card I ordered on NOVEMBER 25th came in today. I have 400 Points left over from my last purchase so that means today I get

2000+400 = 2400 Points
- 1000 = Mario Kart 64
- 800 = SNES Zelda
- 500 = NES Zelda

Could today be any better?

WrestleCrap'sRD;2618576 said:

RD

That is fucking cool as hell. I had no idea. Thanks!

[quote name='Corvin']That is fucking cool as hell. I had no idea. Thanks![/quote]It works for every channel except the disc channel, don't know why you can't move the disc channel.

[quote name='suko_32']Warning, the wavebird sucks with Contra III. The button layout is weird and you can't change it (I think).[/quote]

fo sho, I had my gamecube controller plugged in cause I was too lazy to get the CC out of the drawer, and man I really had to :[

When you use the 'Z' button in Mario Kart 64 it changes the Music volume. There wasn't that option in the N64 version, was there?

(And couldn't you remove the map from the corner? Changing it to a speedometer?) I couldn't find the button to change that.

[quote name='Rig']When you use the 'Z' button in Mario Kart 64 it changes the Music volume. There wasn't that option in the N64 version, was there?

(And couldn't you remove the map from the corner? Changing it to a speedometer?) I couldn't find the button to change that.[/quote]Not sure on the volume thing from the original (dpad?), but the Right analog stick messes with the camera and the HUD (previoulsy the C buttons)

I know that the Wii can create a save state any time by pressing the Home button and returning to the Wii menu, but is there any support for an in-game save function? As in, can you create a profile in Link to the Past and save in-game, turn off the console, and without using a save state go to the Load screen and load your profile?

[quote name='daroga']Not sure on the volume thing from the original (dpad?), but the Right analog stick messes with the camera and the HUD (previoulsy the C buttons)[/quote]

Thanks. I noticed the camera change, but must've missed the HUD.

How anyone played four-player Kart yet? If so, did they add music to the multiplayer? (In the N64 version the game had sound effects, but no BGM in multiplayer.)

I'd check, but I don't have my controllers here with me.

Yea LTTP functions just like the actual game. I'd use the save states as much as possible though, I did Save & Quit through the in game menu to test it and I had to trek all the way back to the dungeon I was near. I only wouldn't use it if you knew someone else was going to play LTTP and wanted to use their own file.

Anyone else think sliding in MK64 is way too easy after MKDS? I had to go straight into 150. You can spin out right? I haven't yet but it seems like if you slide too long it would happen. Good buy so far, I'm going to need another Classic controller or 2 soon for the Battle Modes.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Yea LTTP functions just like the actual game. I'd use the save states as much as possible though, I did Save & Quit through the in game menu to test it and I had to trek all the way back to the dungeon I was near. I only wouldn't use it if you knew someone else was going to play LTTP and wanted to use their own file.
[/quote]

Thanks for the answer. Just to be sure, did you exit the game completely? I guess what I'm wondering is if somewhere in the Wii memory there is an individual save for every game that uses in-game saving, along with the sae states. Perhaps these are one in the same; rather, perhaps the save state contains the in-game save. I suppose that would be just as effective, but it would kind of weird me out to know that my saves are all grouped into one big save that is deleted every time I access it (even if a new one is created in its place every time I leave the game). That would worry me in situations where the game console is turned off without exiting to the main menu first, for instance.

On a different note, does anyone think the blurriness of N64 games is reduced on the Wii, even without component cables? I don't remember MK64 looking NEARLY this sharp.

[quote name='supershammy']
On a different note, does anyone think the blurriness of N64 games is reduced on the Wii, even without component cables? I don't remember MK64 looking NEARLY this sharp.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing on a ten year old GE TV and everything looks extremely sharp to me.

[quote name='crazytalkx']I'm playing on a ten year old GE TV and everything looks extremely sharp to me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but i think the sharpness is actually making it a lot easier to pick out pixilation haha.

[quote name='supershammy']Thanks for the answer. Just to be sure, did you exit the game completely? I guess what I'm wondering is if somewhere in the Wii memory there is an individual save for every game that uses in-game saving, along with the sae states. Perhaps these are one in the same; rather, perhaps the save state contains the in-game save. I suppose that would be just as effective, but it would kind of weird me out to know that my saves are all grouped into one big save that is deleted every time I access it (even if a new one is created in its place every time I leave the game). That would worry me in situations where the game console is turned off without exiting to the main menu first, for instance.

On a different note, does anyone think the blurriness of N64 games is reduced on the Wii, even without component cables? I don't remember MK64 looking NEARLY this sharp.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this will answer your question...

I've found that Genesis & SNES games will 'save your state' if you go back to the menu via the home button. If you turn off your console while in game, it does not save a state and you'll see a title screen the next time you play. I don't own any TG16 or NES games yet so I cannot say if they also create a save if you exit to the Wii Menu, but I imagine that they do.

I'm also not 100% sure about this, but I believe that a state is also created when you exit from a N64 game but I honestly don't remember.

I have two 'save states' right now in two separate games and turning off the Wii in one game (erasing the state) did not delete the other save state in the other game.

New games coming in February (according to the March 2007 issue of Nintendo Power in the Wii Channel listing - being listed here means they will be out by March):

Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 800 pts)
Gain Ground (Genesis, 800 pts)
Streets of Rage (Genesis, 800 pts)
Super Mario Bros (NES, 500 pts)
Super Mario World (SNES, 800 pts)

Ok, I have a question for you all:

I really liked the original NES Contra, but never got around to Contra III. I'm sure I'd like it, but a big part of Contra for me was playing with another person. Now, I only own one Classic Controller, and a couple Gamecube controllers (I'm assuimg the regular Wii Remote doesn't work for Contra III, right?). Will this game feel weird for someone playing on a Gamecube pad? I know, for example, that I bought Megaman Anniversary Collection on PS2 instead of Gamecube, because NES games don't feel right at all on the 'cube pad...

[quote name='sails']New games coming in February (according to the March 2007 issue of Nintendo Power in the Wii Channel listing - being listed here means they will be out by March):

Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 800 pts)
Gain Ground (Genesis, 800 pts)
Streets of Rage (Genesis, 800 pts)
Super Mario Bros (NES, 500 pts)
Super Mario World (SNES, 800 pts)[/QUOTE]

PST... SMB was release already, but correct on the others.

Yeah, Contra III sucks with the GC controller, but the game itself is awesome. I'm sure it's much better on the Classic Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back