Monster Hunter Tri - $44.99 at GameStop & Amazon

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76127

Note: GameStop is no longer taking pre-orders for the CCP bundle.
Bonus: 500 Wii Points for pre-ordering at GameStop.
Amazon has the bundle for $59.99 and are offering a $10 video games credit.

If you're planning on getting MH3, it is HIGHLY recommended that you play it using the CCP and NOT the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. I think Nintendo will sell the CCP separately for $19.99. This is a great deal.

Also, the game is confirmed to be FREE to play online! :applause:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish it were a "Pro" version of this instead.

Monster_hunter_wii_controller.jpg

[quote name='Nesrie']This has been asked already once before and not answered. Where is the link to the confirmation that this game offers online play for free? All I see is rumors and no real confirmation. Until I know its F2P, I am simply not going to buy it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly -- a few people have claimed now that it's "confirmed" that it will be free in the US, but no one has provided an actual link or other source, nor can I find anything concrete through searching. If you know something that the rest of us don't, then please share your source. If you're just going off of rumors, hearsay, and guesses, though, please stop spreading it as the "truth" until actual confirmation comes out.

I agree with the reasons given that it would make sense for them to make it free in the US, but game companies don't always do things that make sense, so I'm not making any assumptions until I see a definitive answer.

[quote name='prateeko']If I pre-ordered it yesterday it will update to include the 500 point card, right?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it if you used the LUVNU code on it. The 500 MS points I think cancel this other bonus out. I tired to reorder it today and the code does not work.

Have anyone else noticed lately that per order bonuses seem to disappear from GS/EB games orders? I ordered Dante's Inferno with the action figure bonus. I noticed after awhile this bonus disappeared from the preorder site and my order. Just got the game yesterday and no figure. Same happened with Bayonetta and the poster set. Needless to say both have been returned...

I don't trust any preorder bonus from GS/EB anymore.

I preordered last week w/ the luvnu code. I just called about this new 500 wii points bonus and the cs rep confirmed it is a part of my order. Not bad GS, not bad.

[quote name='ninjabenja']I preordered last week w/ the luvnu code. I just called about this new 500 wii points bonus and the cs rep confirmed it is a part of my order. Not bad GS, not bad.[/QUOTE]

Sweetness. I'm mainly pumped to get the classic controller pro, but I hear Monster Hunter is good also so we'll have to see how that plays out...

I actually hope it will be pay to play. It will keep the spammers, and hackers, and 13 year olds, away from the game. Plus, a 3 month subscription is only 2000 wii points, which is basically $19.99. Other online role playing games have you pay at least $10 every month, or more. Monster Hunter Tri will cost you less than $6.75 a month, to play.

[quote name='Zantra']I actually hope it will be pay to play. It will keep the spammers, and hackers, and 13 year olds, away from the game. Plus, a 3 month subscription is only 2000 wii points, which is basically $19.99. Other online role playing games have you pay at least $10 every month, or more. Monster Hunter Tri will cost you less than $6.75 a month, to play.[/QUOTE]

By that logic, we would not have seen spanners, hackers and 13 year olds in any of those mmorpg if this barrier to entry is truly a barrier.

[quote name='Zantra']I actually hope it will be pay to play. It will keep the spammers, and hackers, and 13 year olds, away from the game. Plus, a 3 month subscription is only 2000 wii points, which is basically $19.99. Other online role playing games have you pay at least $10 every month, or more. Monster Hunter Tri will cost you less than $6.75 a month, to play.[/QUOTE]

It's typically 15.00 a month, and it's not the dollar amount that I am unhappy with, it's the value. This is just a multiplayer game trying to charge for servers in a sea of games that do the same thing for free. And like someone already said, gold spammers and hackers, and immature individuals, regardless of age, are found in ALL MMORPGs so a barrier to cost will do nothing but keep the fanbase small which is what Capcom says it does NOT want.

Anyone know if this game is enjoyable at all without getting online?

According to the core fanbase, the only ones really eager to pay a fee, as in they want a fee over free, you can't access all the bosses or the quests online at least not on the JPN version.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still play Tri offline and get the most out of that experience (there's even a split-screen mode). Offline should easily last you 30-50 hours, but if you do decide to go online and get hooked - an easy 200-300 hours right there.

[quote name='forweg']Anyone know if this game is enjoyable at all without getting online?[/QUOTE]
Online is the exact same thing as offline + players and like 3 extra monsters. So for most people offline is not worth getting because you will be bored to death.

Also split screen does not work for campaign mode but a weird arcade mode only.

Thanks for the responses. I live in the middle of nowhere and can't access high-speed Internet, so I guess I'll pass on this.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']Online is the exact same thing as offline + players and like 3 extra monsters. So for most people offline is not worth getting because you will be bored to death.

Also split screen does not work for campaign mode but a weird arcade mode only.[/QUOTE]

Oh thanks for the info. I think I was confusing offline single player with split-screen which I thought was the same.

Wow. Just wow.

So, remember how I said that I emailed Capcom and asked about whether there will be a monthly fee for the game or not? Here's the response I just received:

Hello,

There has been no announcement how Monster Hunter Frontier for the Xbox 360 will be run. Understand that the game has only been announced for release in Japan.

CAPCOM Customer Support
Ummm . . . what?

I specifically selected Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii from their dropdowns, and specified it in my question. This response does not give me great confidence in Capcom -- on multiple levels.

[quote name='arcane93']Wow. Just wow.

So, remember how I said that I emailed Capcom and asked about whether there will be a monthly fee for the game or not? Here's the response I just received:

Ummm . . . what?

I specifically selected Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii from their dropdowns, and specified it in my question. This response does not give me great confidence in Capcom -- on multiple levels.[/QUOTE]

It could have been worse. They could have mentioned it's not their fault everyone didn't like Resident Evil 5 or something. That would have been an epic response! :D

LOL, that is a terribad response.

Now as a joke we should all go to Capcom's website and ask the same question, just to see what kind of funny answers they'll give us.

That response is truly amazing.

I preordered this last week largely for the CCP, price, and the fact that the graphics and character creator looked cool in screen shots, but I just boned up on it some more and I'm now legitimately pumped for this to come out.

It feels like some of the best elements of Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy, and Zelda games put together, and it got a 40/40 from Famitsu.

From Wikipedia:

Weekly Famitsu certified the game with a score of 40/40, making it the eleventh game to receive a perfect rating from the magazine in its 20-year history,[10] as well as the third title for the Wii. As of December 12, 2009, Monster Hunter Tri is the best-selling third-party video game for the Wii in Japan, at 960,000 copies sold.

If you're on the fence about this and have any interest in supporting further third-party efforts on the Wii, just go ahead and order it. If you don't like it (seems unlikely), keep the CCP and Wii points card and sell it.

Wasn't there another coupon to take 10% off? I think it was FEB10OFF or something... It may not work for pre-orders though. I would try it myself, but...

I keep getting a "bad url" message whenever I try to add items/look at my cart... o_O;

[quote name='gkrykewy']FYI, Amazon has added the CC bundle to their listings. They haven't matched the $54.99 price yet, but I'm sure they will.[/QUOTE]
Damn. I have a pre order for the standard version from Amazon. Guess if they drop the price I'll be giving them a call to see if I can swap versions and keep my discounts intact.

New response from Capcom:

Hello,

There has been no official announcement on that subject yet. More information will be released as it gets closer to the release date.

CAPCOM Customer Support
Really? Two months (give or take a week, depending on whose date you trust) from release, pre-orders are being taken, and they're not announcing anything yet? Get on the ball, Capcom!

[quote name='arcane93']New response from Capcom:

Really? Two months (give or take a week, depending on whose date you trust) from release, pre-orders are being taken, and they're not announcing anything yet? Get on the ball, Capcom![/QUOTE]

It could be that Capcom is just incompetent, but not saying anything tells me there will be a fee. If there was no fee, you would want to announce it as soon as possible to generate some positive buzz for the game. If there is a fee, you would announce it as late as possible to avoid killing any buzz for the game. Though I suppose it is possible there is still internal debate on if they should charge a fee or not, thus adding to the delay. The 500 Wii points is probably their way of giving you the first month free or whatever though.

This is ONM's UK site but it mentions the western audience. Here's the link:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=15260

Tri has already sold well over a million in Japan, but its online philosophy is being subtly altered for us in the West. We can't be bothered to write down friend codes, or pay monthly subscriptions, so it doesn't look as though Capcom is going to waste time trying to convince us otherwise.

[quote name='pizzaflavoredpudding']This is ONM's UK site but it mentions the western audience. Here's the link:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=15260

Tri has already sold well over a million in Japan, but its online philosophy is being subtly altered for us in the West. We can't be bothered to write down friend codes, or pay monthly subscriptions, so it doesn't look as though Capcom is going to waste time trying to convince us otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Well, I hope you're right. But if Capcom is saying that no official announcement has been made, then what are these sites basing their information on? My guess would be that it's on the announcement that it would be free in Europe.

But, something to keep in mind is that Capcom is distributing the game themselves here in North America (as they did in Japan), while in Europe (and Australia) it will be distributed by Nintendo. Because of this, I wouldn't trust the European (or Australian) announcements to necessarily apply to the North American release.

Honestly, until I see an announcement directly from Capcom (or at least quoted directly from Capcom) specifically regarding the North American market, I'm not going to consider anything settled.

Something else worth noting, from

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/24/monster-hunter-3s-online-fees-look-familiar/

regarding the charges in Japan:

Before you fork over Wii Points you get a twenty day trial subscription. Afterwards, it’s 800 Wii Points ($8) for a 30 day subscription, 1,500 Wii Points ($15) for a 60 days, or 2,000 Wii Points ($20) for 90 days.
Now, by the point equivalency that 800 points = a 30 day subscription, 500 points would be 18.75 days, which is darn close to that 20 day trial. I'm just saying, if they're including a 500 point card . . .

(I mean, geez, not even a full month free after paying for the game? How cheap can they get?)

The real problem with pay to play is all the hardcore mh players will most likely beat the same within that 20 day trial period. If not a 30 day extension will suffice. After that all the good players will leave and you'll be stuck with n00bs.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']The real problem with pay to play is all the hardcore mh players will most likely beat the same within that 20 day trial period. If not a 30 day extension will suffice. After that all the good players will leave and you'll be stuck with n00bs.[/QUOTE]

Well, I would hope that if they're going to charge some kind of monthly fee, there will be some kind of dynamic content to keep the hardcore players coming back. If it's all just pre-set and totally static, then what's the point? In theory, for a pay-to-play business model to work, they want to keep people paying for the game indefinitely, not playing for a month or so, finishing it, and dropping out.

[quote name='arcane93']Well, I would hope that if they're going to charge some kind of monthly fee, there will be some kind of dynamic content to keep the hardcore players coming back. If it's all just pre-set and totally static, then what's the point? In theory, for a pay-to-play business model to work, they want to keep people paying for the game indefinitely, not playing for a month or so, finishing it, and dropping out.[/QUOTE]

MH hardcore fans seem to be die hard fans. Heck some of them want to pay a fee because they think it will make the people playing the game better. I really don't think Capcom needs to convince them to keep coming back since they are so eager anyway.

The fee will probably keep a lot of new fans from enjoying the series which would be what I thought Capcom didn't want.

Dang, I love the classic controller, and the CC Pro looks great too. I wish one of them were the standard Wii interface, or at least included in the box :(

There's no mention of the 500 free Wii Points anymore at Gamestop, so now it only has advantage of being $5 cheaper (less when you consider tax) over Amazon. I think I'd rather pay the couple extra bucks just to avoid giving Gamestop my money, but aside from that, Amazon will probably drop the price at some point, or it could show up in your quick picks, so anyone who hasn't jumped on this yet (like me) is probably better off waiting for that.

[quote name='icedrake523']Wanted to bump since I just noticed the 500 free points aren't advertised anymore and Amazon is now offering a $10 credit.[/QUOTE]

Is it too much to ask for Capcom to just state whether there is a fee or not so I can decide to pre-order, or not. I mean dear lord. :bomb:

Gah, this late in the game and no confirmation yet. Not that its stopped me from preordering though.

However, my speculation is this...I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom arranged it so there was a few limited levels/maps/missions that were free for anyone to play. Access to additional maps and missions however would cost you...maybe 500 Wii points for each bit of DLC? If online was handled this way, Capcom could still claim, "Look, its free to play! No monthly fees!" while they support their servers through online microtransactions.

IMHO, people paying a monthly fee or microtransaction isn't going to result in a better quality of player (good lord, I should know, after years of playing MMOs on both PC and consoles). I'm personally up in the air about paying monthly prescription fees for online games. I have no problem paying a fee if it means support for things like stable servers, online events and holidays, and GMs who are on the ball about cheaters, asshats, and RMTers. But paying a monthly fee just to access locked content already on the disc, and nothing else, now that pisses me off.

I think I might pick this up now, since no fee for online was confirmed. I'm leaning towards Amazon, since there is no tax plus the $10 credit.
GS probably will have the 500pts still since it was mentioned at the press summit today, but you'll have to pay tax, too.

[quote name='chair_home']I think I might pick this up now, since no fee for online was confirmed. I'm leaning towards Amazon, since there is no tax plus the $10 credit.
GS probably will have the 500pts still since it was mentioned at the press summit today, but you'll have to pay tax, too.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link or quote to that?

[quote name='icedrake523']Do you have a link or quote to that?[/QUOTE]

It's also listed on the GameStop page for the game again now:

Reserve Monster Hunter Tri and receive a GameStop exclusive Monster Hunter Tri themed Nintendo points card worth 500 points. Available online and in-store while supplies last.

Online Customers: GameStop exclusive points card will ship with your game.

In-Store Pickup / Store Customers: GameStop exclusive points card will be available at time of game pick-up.
Listed on both the regular and bundle versions. Interestingly, despite their getting these exclusives, they still haven't updated their page to reflect the now officially-announced release date of April 20th. Their page still says April 6th.

bread's done
Back