Monster Hunter Tri - $44.99 at GameStop & Amazon

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76127

Note: GameStop is no longer taking pre-orders for the CCP bundle.
Bonus: 500 Wii Points for pre-ordering at GameStop.
Amazon has the bundle for $59.99 and are offering a $10 video games credit.

If you're planning on getting MH3, it is HIGHLY recommended that you play it using the CCP and NOT the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. I think Nintendo will sell the CCP separately for $19.99. This is a great deal.

Also, the game is confirmed to be FREE to play online! :applause:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nesrie']According to Capcom, no. You just need to go get it at gamestop or order it through the monster community page. I haven't setup an account on the community page yet so i can't verify. I do have a link with info though.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/monster...705/Receive_a_free_demo_of_Monster_Hunter_Tri[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. I tried it but the site is pretty convoluted. Theres a button to reserve a disc and a button to enter your address. I pressed the reserve link, and now it says I have already reserved a disc, and I can't give them my address. So I may have to go to gamestop after all...

*shudders*

[quote name='schopaia']Cool, thanks. I tried it but the site is pretty convoluted. Theres a button to reserve a disc and a button to enter your address. I pressed the reserve link, and now it says I have already reserved a disc, and I can't give them my address. So I may have to go to gamestop after all...

*shudders*[/QUOTE]

Yeah their websites seem to be messed up at the moment. I can't even get my verfication emai from them at the moment.

Gamestop was a nightmare for me today when i went to pre-order. Stood there for 15 minutes listening to him tell this guy that the DS Lite stylus won't fit in the DS stylus compartmant, so naturally the guy kept coming back showing him one after the other. Then when I went to do my pre-order, he didn't know what Monster Hunter Tri was, and tried to order it as a DS game and politely informed it was for the Wii. I asked about the discount and the game card, not a clue as to what I was talking about. I just hope i get the discount and the card because all my receipt shows was the deposit amount.

I don't think I've pre-ordered anything from Gamestop... ever.

thnking about jumping on this or at least preordering it with my $12 i have in credit @GS. I mean it comes with the classic pro controller(at least 20 bones) & a 500 nintendo points card for $54.99. seems like a decent deal.

[quote name='LackeyZero']Or Amazon $45 with $10 game credit (w/out controller), but for many, no tax either.[/QUOTE]

True (for those who have a sales tax of course), but I think the controller is going to be worth it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'll prob go with amazon. Sure the demo disc is worth it but getting credit for an actual game is more worth it.[/QUOTE]

You do not have to order from GS to get the demo. Capcom is saying you can just go to the store and get it or order it onine when they finally fix their site (it's not behaving just right at the moment).

[quote name='oni-link']this game is gonna rock!!![/QUOTE]
For casual gamers, No.
For hardcore monster hunters, No.
If you are somewhere in between, Yes.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']For casual gamers, No.
If you are somewhere in between, Yes.[/QUOTE]
We still USE terms like "casual" and "hardcore"? This isn't GameFAQs, I thought we were a bit beyond such childishness.

[quote name='Nesrie']You do not have to order from GS to get the demo. Capcom is saying you can just go to the store and get it or order it onine when they finally fix their site (it's not behaving just right at the moment).[/QUOTE]

oh nice! I'll walk in and ask for one once they are available.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']For casual gamers, No.
If you are somewhere in between, Yes.[/QUOTE]

Why won't hardcore monster hunters like it? Oh right, it's on the Wii. I forgot about the blind Wii hatred.

[quote name='icedrake523']Why won't hardcore monster hunters like it? Oh right, it's on the Wii. I forgot about the blind Wii hatred.[/QUOTE]
It is not that the Wii sucks but that capcom has n00b'd it down. Put it like this MH2 for the PS2 is a better game and MHP2G blows MH3 out of the water.

[quote name='icedrake523']Why won't hardcore monster hunters like it? Oh right, it's on the Wii. I forgot about the blind Wii hatred.[/QUOTE]

was wondering the same thing...

but honestly if they announce this on PSP, fuck the wii version. I like mine on the go.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']It is not that the Wii sucks but that capcom has n00b'd it down. Put it like this MH2 for the PS2 is a better game and MHP2G blows MH3 out of the water.[/QUOTE]

By "noob'd it down", do you mean make it easier? I like a challenge but I don't need my games to feel impossible or require tremendous effort to complete every task.

[quote name='icedrake523']By "noob'd it down", do you mean make it easier?[/QUOTE]
Yes and No.

All the monsters are easier then the last games besides the new water ones but they are not that hard to beat.

More importantly they slowed the game down. So if you played the other games before and got calibrated to them you will notice yourself getting hit more. Not because the monsters are harder but simply because they made your character worse. You can't play to the same skill as you could in the other game simply because they gave your guy a slower swing and a longer rebound time.

There is also the fact that even tho they made new monsters with new attacks; A lot of the old attacks come back. But even then they lost more then they gained. No one in this game fights like Kirin or Conga or Ceanataur.

Simply put it is just a worse game.

P.S. The music is worse too.

Oh good. Wii hatred. I was starting to miss that. Really. Miss. THAT. And there are a fair amount of people who imported this game, pay for the online server and enjoy this game already. It's not crap. I'd ignore the people who are just bitter it went to the Wii and not some other console.

MH1 was dreadfully dull anyway and the fanbase has turned me off any attempts to give it a second swing. Yes, yes, we get it. Most hardcore game ever created. It has absolutely no flaws because any complaints can all be explained away by "lol ur casual." That's all absolutely fascinating, just be sure to use a hanky.

[quote name='RollingSkull']MH1 was dreadfully dull anyway and the fanbase has turned me off any attempts to give it a second swing. Yes, yes, we get it. Most hardcore game ever created. It has absolutely no flaws because any complaints can all be explained away by "lol ur casual." That's all absolutely fascinating, just be sure to use a hanky.[/QUOTE]

My limited experience with the MH crowd hasn't been that great. I mean seems like a closed group that doesn't want to share the playground with those, like myself, who won't play MMO prices for a game that isn't an MMO. ON the other hand, I willing to give it a go. I don't know if it's hardcore or not. I hear its fun. I want to try it. Whether that makes me hardcore or casual or whatever, well labels are more important to other people than me. It's pretty clear though this game isn't total garbage, it's going to be likeing the style or not.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']Yes and No.

All the monsters are easier then the last games besides the new water ones but they are not that hard to beat.

More importantly they slowed the game down. So if you played the other games before and got calibrated to them you will notice yourself getting hit more. Not because the monsters are harder but simply because they made your character worse. You can't play to the same skill as you could in the other game simply because they gave your guy a slower swing and a longer rebound time.

There is also the fact that even tho they made new monsters with new attacks; A lot of the old attacks come back. But even then they lost more then they gained. No one in this game fights like Kirin or Conga or Ceanataur.

Simply put it is just a worse game.

P.S. The music is worse too.[/QUOTE]

I'm going in with no MH experience so I won't be annoyed by the changes veteran MH players will be accustomed to.

I'm still going to give it a try. I want to support a 3rd party exclusive games for the Wii.

If the MH crowd are douches, I'm sure some fellow CAGs will be on to join up with.

[quote name='Nesrie']My limited experience with the MH crowd hasn't been that great. I mean seems like a closed group that doesn't want to share the playground with those, like myself, who won't play MMO prices for a game that isn't an MMO. ON the other hand, I willing to give it a go. I don't know if it's hardcore or not. I hear its fun. I want to try it. Whether that makes me hardcore or casual or whatever, well labels are more important to other people than me. It's pretty clear though this game isn't total garbage, it's going to be likeing the style or not.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much "casual" or "hardcore", but MH comes with a very very steep learning curve. Running head straight against the monsters is just asking to get yourself killed. Probably a huge reason why a lot MH players have a "elitist" attitude is that monster hunting in this game is a team effort, if one person dies too much, then they fail the quest which ruins it for everyone else. A lot of people simply do not want to sit down and learn the game properly. I know I've had my fair share of idiots who pick a long sword and fuckit around a Yian Kut-Ku only to get tail whipped to death. :headache:

If you liked Demon's Soul then I highly recommend the game. The game is brutal but once you get over the initial arc, it is an amazing experience, especially with other people.

[quote name='earvcunanan']Updated the OP. Free to play online is so nice.[/QUOTE]
wow, thats gd news, but then it makes no sense why they bundled it with the wii points
anyone know if we can play with the ppl from jp server ?

It is not just the learning curve: Although I won't lie, i thought kutku was impossible at first and died atleast 10 times. But the fact that the gameplay only appeals to hardcore gamers. You have to refight the exact monsters (or slightly reskinned monsters) over and over and over and over oh and did I mention over again just to get carves. And with those carves you make new armor so you can fight that exact same monster in a newer harder rank and make the s or g version of the same armor.

I mean I personally have no problems doing this but I can see a lot of "causal" gamers getting bored/upset really fast and just qutting.

I can't seem to find anyone decent enough to play MH with. It's either they are assholes or they are too high leveled to play with. I'll still try this out and hopefully find some down to earth CAGs who want to just have some fun.

[quote name='acyw13']do u get to save your character from demo and use it in the real game ?[/QUOTE]

This. I'm really interested in how the demo works out.

[quote name='acyw13']do u get to save your character from demo and use it in the real game ?[/QUOTE]
No I don't so because if its anything like the MFU2 demo then the characters is already pre made.

never played MH before, if i reserve the game and play the demo and hate it can I cancel the purchase? just give the demo back? or only partial refund?

You shouldn't lose your $5 preorder when you cancel a preorder. I've canceled preorders and have been refunded that $5. If a GS employee tries to pull that on you, call them out on it; ask them to show where it says they can do that. If they refuse, ask to speak to their manager. If that gets ugly, call their corporate Customer Service. I've not done so, but I hear they actually listen to customers and deal with the situation.

The demo clearly states on the packaging, RESERVE NOW, but that doesn't specifically say you have to reserve to get the demo disc. And if you already reserved it, you should be able to go back and get your demo soon. You could try calling the store and asking if they have the demos yet, but they might have them and not know it. When I went to the store and mentioned a demo, they said they didn't know anything about them, but all I did was look on the countertop, and there was a small display with about 20 demos in it. As far as the demo goes, the first quest is fairly easy, but the second one is a pain to complete on time. They give you 20 minutes to defeat a monster with loads of health. To make it even more difficult, they have it where this monster calls for the help of other monsters, one of which happens to be the monster you fight as a boss in the first quest. There are a lot of subtle differences, most of which are good. I really like how they make the classic controller bundle though because it's like a slap in Nintendo's face about how lame the Wii remote really is. But since this originally started out as a PS3 game, I'm kinda dissapointed they went back to making it a PS2, er Wii, game to cut down on production costs. It would have been glorious on the PS3.

I went by GS earlier to pre-order and it rang up at 59.99. I told the guy that the website said 54.99 and he told me it was an online only exclusive. The website says that the 5 bucks should be taken off at time of purchase. I'm sure the dude was full of shit, but I don't understand why the game rang up at full price instead of the discounted price. Has anyone else had any issues with getting the B&M stores ring up the discounted price?

Just tried at the Pike 7 Plaza store in Tysons Corner, VA, and they don't have the demo discs yet (or at least the staff there knew nothing about them). The girl that I talked to didn't think they'd be getting any in because they haven't had any pre-orders for the game yet, but I don't think she really had any idea what she was talking about.

[quote name='arcane93']Just tried at the Pike 7 Plaza store in Tysons Corner, VA, and they don't have the demo discs yet (or at least the staff there knew nothing about them). The girl that I talked to didn't think they'd be getting any in because they haven't had any pre-orders for the game yet, but I don't think she really had any idea what she was talking about.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure 90% of all women working at GameStop have no clue what they're talking about.

[quote name='icedrake523']I'm sure 90% of all women working at GameStop have no clue what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Um . . . wow.

(That being said, this one was pretty clueless -- While I was looking around the store, I heard her have an entire conversation with another customer who was up at the register, which was suddenly cut short when she said to him "So, do you still work at Starbucks?" and he replied "Um, what? I've never worked at Starbucks." Apparently she'd been talking to him for several minutes thinking he was someone else entirely. :lol:)

Sorry, haven't read all 10 pages - but doesn't the blog post state the demo discs won't be in GameStop stores until March 8?

[quote name='sk3tchcom']Sorry, haven't read all 10 pages - but doesn't the blog post state the demo discs won't be in GameStop stores until March 8?[/QUOTE]

It does, but apparently some stores are getting them early, and not bothering to wait to put them out. It's worth checking if you happen to be nearby or going there anyway.

[quote name='BrandonJ33']That's not very nice :p[/QUOTE]

[quote name='arcane93']Um . . . wow.[/QUOTE]

There was an article about working at GameStop; labeling the types of co-workers, managers, and customers. It basically said most female employees aren't hired for their knowledge on games but for eye candy. It's sexist but it's true in most cases.

[quote name='icedrake523']There was an article about working at GameStop; labeling the types of co-workers, managers, and customers. It basically said most female employees aren't hired for their knowledge on games but for eye candy. It's sexist but it's true in most cases.[/QUOTE]

That's unfortunate. At most of the stores I've been to I'd have to classify it more as eye barf rather than candy.

I'll have to check my local Gamestops to see if they have the demo out early. I'm still on the fence about this one so a demo is nice.

bread's done
Back