Monster Hunter Tri

[quote name='Spacepest']I was very surprised to see no ingame tutorial, especially for a demo title, you literally just get dumped into a mission and you're left alone to figure things out[/QUOTE]
Yep, sounds like Monster Hunter.

I don't know if I'd like this or not. I liked Phantasy Star Online.

I was too late to get the demo.

My friends are planning on getting this, so maybe I will end up getting it too.

I've never played a MH game before.

Do we have a compilation somewhere with those who have pre-ordered certain they will buy the game? Would like to play with my fellow CAGs once I get this game in the mail.

So who's getting it? I was thinking of compiling a list of CAG's who got it (along with their "Capcom ID" so we could play together) along with some basic info (like if they had Wii Speak, Keyboard or None).

Not 100% sold on the game yet. I was never huge fans of Phantasy Star or Demon's Souls, so I may not enjoy this, but I had to sell my other systems other than my wii for school, and I am lacking a good online game, sans mario kart and brawl, so I might bite and try it out.

[quote name='KingBroly']So who's getting it? I was thinking of compiling a list of CAG's who got it (along with their "Capcom ID" so we could play together) along with some basic info (like if they had Wii Speak, Keyboard or None).[/QUOTE]

I have it pre-ordered and should have it Monday at midnight. I don't know how much I will be playing it, but my wife is probably going to. We do have wii speak, and I will have to get the Capcom ID and/or wii friend code after I get the game.

I have Wii-speak and I have this pre-ordered. I'm not sure if I'm keeping that pre-order, though. I really hated all the loading between zones in the psp version. Was hoping that it wouldn't be in this version of the game.

I have a USB keyboard, so I can talk to you guys, but just not physically with voice, lol.

Really hoping this game can pull in a lot of new players and old. I want them to see Monster Hunter can just be as popular here in America as it is in Japan.

There will be a tutorial with the game, so you can learn how to play, just they didn't include it in the demo, probably because they were expecting old players to pick it up and new players to look at it and walk away.

I should have this on Tuesday. I have Wii Speak but no keyboard. I'm on EST and should be on later at night (11 p.m. ~ 12 a.m.) for about an hour or two. I'll post my Capcom ID when I get the game.

Good thing I have vacation next week, all nighters playing this game? YEAH!

Also, how do you find out your capcom code, since I'm registered on Capcom-unity right now, if that makes a difference.

Anyone know what the amount of content is like in comparison to say.. Freedom Unite? I haven't even touched online in that game and am on the 4-star single player missions and am around 150-ish hours of playtime.

Is Tri comparable?

Probably somewhat comparable, they are going to have Event Quests probably regularly every weekend, so I guess if you "beat" the game, then you can do those.

But, I'm not sure at this point, all I know is I'm excited and can't wait. :D

[quote name='KingBroly']150 hours? Sheesh. I was thinking it'd be like...20-30.[/QUOTE]
Well there's so much stuff to get/upgrade, I would say I'm not even a quarter of the way done. All the different weapon types how branching paths when you upgrade them, so the get the "ultimate" version of all the weapons you have to upgrade the same thing in different ways. Armor is upgraded too, and you'll want different suits for different things. Then you gotta get gems to put in the armor to activate the skills they have attached to them. All of these things take materials from either monsters or the plants/mines which requires you to go out and gather a shit ton of stuff.

If you focused on one weapon and one armor set it'd probably take less time, but some monsters are very hard to kill with some of the weapons, and quite a bit easier to kill with the right ones, so having a diverse weapon collection does help.

If Tri is using the same system with a similar amount of weapons/armor, it'd probably be the same.

I'll be picking this up Tuesday, but can't dump a lot of time into it until June.

If someone wanted to start a noob-friendly group, I'd be up for that. This will be my first MH game.

Hmm, I think the "pros" of MH should help the new players rerun through monsters to get the gear they want, so they can actually start enjoying the game a bit.

Early on you will probably feel weak, but overtime you'll start to feel more powerful, and better.

My main weapon of choice was Great Sword, but I want to see how far I can do with Switch Axe.

I'm on the fence right now about picking up at launch. If I do, then I would love to join a CAG group. I've never played a MH game before, so I would have to be in a n00b friendly group. As of right now I don't have Wii Speak or a USB keyboard (damn all my PS/2 Keyboards, lol), but I'll look into something if I do decide to pick this up.

You don't really need to chat, just kind of follow the group a bit and help kill the main monster/s.

Just two more days away. :D

Did anyone get the demo and try playing with Wiimote and Nunchuck opposed to CC? In Canada we can't get the demo and I'd rather save some cash and get the stand alone game opposed to the CC bundle.

Sorry for all of the questions :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Never tried the demo with the Wiimote and Nunchuck, but it's completely worth the extra 10 dollars to get the controller and game.

I played with the original Classic Controller and it's alright, but with the pro it actually has grips and a second row of Trigger buttons, instead of being in the center like on the regular Classic Controller.

I just hope there is some way to disable Wii Speak... I might get it, but just want to disable voice, as it will end up just annoying me more than being helpful if the 360 / PS3 online is any indication.

[quote name='seanr1221']If I were playing with people from here, I'd honestly rather hop into an Xbox party (if everyone has a 360).[/QUOTE]

Brilliant idea, I be down for that

What's the point when you can just use USB keyboards, or select Pre-Made phrases to say during the game?

I'd rather just do that, lol. And, since my Wii is in a few rooms away from the 360.

I think I will bite tomorrow. My wii code is listed under my name, and I have wii speak and USB keyboard, so I will be set. It will be my first MH game, so if you're hardcore, probably not going to want to team with me, haha.
If anyone else there who doesn't mind or first timers want a co-op buddy, feel free to add me.
If you could PM me on here and just let me know you added me, that'd be great, too.

Cool bud, sounds good. Are you getting yours tomorrow too? I'm definitely grabbing the control bundle if available, or at least the stand-alone. I hope the store I work at get both the game and controllers in at midnight, I have a $15 GC, plus get %10 off, and if you spend over $100, which I will since I have to pick up a few things, you get Avatar the movie for free! :p

Yeah, it looks pretty neat. I will add your wii code later today when I wake up, and PM you sometime early tuesday.

[quote name='RchrdJ']Did anyone get the demo and try playing with Wiimote and Nunchuck opposed to CC? In Canada we can't get the demo and I'd rather save some cash and get the stand alone game opposed to the CC bundle.

Sorry for all of the questions :p[/QUOTE]
The remote controls are fine. I'm guessing camera control on the CC is a little easier since it's on the stick. The only motions present in the remote control scheme involve turning the remote (for example, tilt the remote to the right and hit A for a shield bash) or holding it straight up. I think you can waggle to unsheathe your weapon, but you can just hit the + button instead.

I was hoping GameStop would ship early since they processed my order Wednesday or Thursday, but no luck. Probably be a few days before I get my bundle. Wii Speak is already set up.

Tomorrow is release date I can't wait to get it this will be my second monster hunter game.

I hope the character customization is good I love having lots of options to choose from..

Sadly I still don't have a decent internet yet so no online play for me.

Amazon seems to be out of stock of their pre-orders on the classic bundle. :bouncy:

Yeah, I think pre-orders for the Controller Bundle have been pretty amazing, so most likely you'll be seeing more within the week.

Wow, it's almost time my friends... Monster Hunting is almost here! Just 9 hours left, until Midnight!

Online play is going to be awesome, can't wait!

I was interested to read that this game does not use friend codes and you can communicate with anyone you see, including via Wii Speak, and add them as friends too. Maybe a sign of things to come for the Wii? Let's hope so. At least if there's the option of restricting to just friends (for my kids), not that they'll be playing this game - I mean future games.

FYI, that info is in the glowing review at nintendolife.com

http://wii.nintendolife.com/reviews/2010/04/monster_hunter_3_tri_wii

I doubt it's a thing to come as Capcom's running the servers themselves for this one. Thus they're bypassing friend codes and all of the online barriers Nintendo puts up.

Also, Gamestops are apparently having midnight launches for this game. A third party Wii game...with midnight launches. CRAZY

It's awesome, I think this is probably the first true successful Monster Hunter game in NA. Depends on how many sales there are, but Capcom really beefed up on advertising for this game, although I have yet to see any MH3 commercials on TV.

I'm so hyped for this game right now, once I get the game tomorrow, I'm going to be sitting there for a long time, just playing it.

So, yeah we should probably hunt after the first day, since it's going to be a day for beginners to learn the game, and for veterans to relearn the controls and stuff.

Went to a local gamestop and they wouldn't let me pre order the bundle. The guy said he could hold one for me, but I told him I couldn't get there until Wednesday. Now Im going to try my luck at 3 different Gamestops on my lunch break.

fuck, I just realized since I didn't preorder I wont be getting the 500 points and 5.00 off.

The guy said something like...since they're only getting bundles in the first shipment and thats it, it's out of the computer? :/

bread's done
Back