Monster Hunter Tri

[quote name='seanr1221']Well, I'm sure they'll have some in stock tomorrow, that's not the problem.

Having the extra 10.00 would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Order online? You won't get it day 1, but you'll get the $5 off and 500 points, plus another 25% off if you order $100 worth of stuff and use 25OFF. At least when I checked earlier today it was still available. I've decided to hold off myself, though. I've got lots to play now and lots of things coming, and I just don't know if this game is for me or not.

I don't think it's very easy to find a copy online right now, you could order from the capcom-unity.com site, and get some free Monster Hunter charms with your purchase, but I dunno how long it'll take to get there.

Then again, I haven't checked the gamestop website in a couple of days for the game, since I ordered off Amazon instead.

$10 GC would be nice, but unfortunately I'm in a spending freeze... blah.

well I'll pick it up soon, hope Capcom keeps the servers alive for a big longer.

[quote name='seanr1221']Thanks Crunch, but they only have the regular edition online, making the savings the same as buying the bundle instore.[/QUOTE]

well, you also get a 500 points wii card worth $5. That plus the 25% off and already $5 off (which I presume will go away once it's out), makes it still a good deal. I'm actually still considering it, and it is still available as a pre-order at gamestop.com. Plus note that you an also pre-order the classic controller pro for 25% off via the 25OFF coupon. You get 11.25 off the game (33.70) and $5.00 off the controller pro ($14.99). So it's $48.69+tax for the combo. You do need to add something worth $35.02 or more to make it to $100. Add a distant pre-order and then cancel it once the game ships.

EDIT: I just put stuff in my cart to and have gone most of the way through checkout and one curiousity is that I added the pre-order for the "Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver Sticker Collection" as my kids would like that (though it's overpriced, at least it would be 25% off), and for some reason I'm also getting an EDGE card discount on that. On a pre-order! :)

EDIT2: and I went ahead with it. I figure for $35.76 (after 25% off and with 6% tax) for the game it's worth a shot, plus 500 points is always nice, and I'm giving my vote for more core games. I also got the black classic controller pro as I wanted that anyway. Wish I'd done this when the bundle was available for pre-order, but oh well.

EDIT3: here's the sticker collection in case anyone is interested and wants 10% off with their EDGE card, 25% more off if ordered with other stuff reaching $100 (which totals $4.22 off, making it $8.77+tax): https://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=830257

Last edited by a moderator:
About to check where mine is, oh man... I can feel this thread will reach 15 pages by the end of the day.

EDIT: Just received my copy of MH3, with Classic controller pro. :D About to go play this game, hope to see you guys on MH3 soon.

I'm thinking about picking up either this or Demon's Souls on PS3. They seem similar to me. Anyone played both? Are they really similar?

I think Monster Hunter is a bit more polished looking, compared to Demon's Souls.

I never could get into Demon's Souls, but got really into Monster Hunter, plus I believe there is 100s of more hours of gameplay in Monster Hunter compared to Demon's Souls.

[quote name='Puffa469']I'm thinking about picking up either this or Demon's Souls on PS3. They seem similar to me. Anyone played both? Are they really similar?[/QUOTE]

Demon's Souls has more emphasis on RPG... it is more stat oriented in addition to the weapon / armor customization.

They are kind of similar in terms of game mechanics and general ideas... I haven't played Tri yet (just got it) but it is focused more on weapons, there are no stats, it's more about you vs a monster and learning the patterns if older Monster Hunter's are anything to go by.

Demon's Souls is also you vs a monster, but like I said earlier, you've got to worry about padding out all your stats and levels as well. Demon's Souls is also level oriented as well, you get level 1-1, 1-2, etc with a boss at the end of them.

The multiplayer in DS is also either co-op, or going into someone elses game (or them in yours) and attempting to kill them. Multiplayer in MHT is just co-op only.

Can't go wrong with either game, to be honest. I played a fair bit of DS and it's an awesome game in its own right. There is definitely 100's of hours of gameplay in Demon's Souls, similar to MHT, because there are different classes, different builds, tons of armor and weapons, and a good deal of secrets to discover. As for which one is more polished, that's probably down to personal preference.

I guess it all depends on how in depth you want to get, Demon's Souls throws a ton of values at you at all times, Monster Hunter not so much.

I got my copy just 10 minutes ago, the controller pro bundle. Since I pre-ordered it I've been wondering does the points card come Inside the game or do they hand it to you? Cause all I have is the game still sealed.

The card isn't in the game box.

EDIT:
I've done most, if not all of the tutorial so far. I've done the first quest which I guess means I'm done with the tutorial. I'm somewhat enjoying it so far. I'm still trying to grasp a lot of things.

The controls are good, but still a tad awkward even with the Classic Controller Pro, which is awesome by the way. It's basically a Dualshock with the grip of a 360 controller. If you've ever put your hands on a 360 controller, the texture on the two are similar. I cannot understand why I have to go to Hunter's Notes then use my Wiimote to register monsters. Isn't that why I have a Classic Controller, so I don't have to use the pointer?

Picked up my copy today (didn't see Crunchs post till now :whistle2:x) but I won't get a
chance to play until tomorrow or Thursday.

I caught onto Demons Souls quickly, does this game have a larger learning curve?

Depends really, I mean this tutorial is kind of pointless to me, but then again I need a refresher and need to learn the area again, since this game is completely different from the other ones (area wise).

[quote name='animalspinners']Demon's Souls has more emphasis on RPG... it is more stat oriented in addition to the weapon / armor customization.

They are kind of similar in terms of game mechanics and general ideas... I haven't played Tri yet (just got it) but it is focused more on weapons, there are no stats, it's more about you vs a monster and learning the patterns if older Monster Hunter's are anything to go by.

Demon's Souls is also you vs a monster, but like I said earlier, you've got to worry about padding out all your stats and levels as well. Demon's Souls is also level oriented as well, you get level 1-1, 1-2, etc with a boss at the end of them.

The multiplayer in DS is also either co-op, or going into someone elses game (or them in yours) and attempting to kill them. Multiplayer in MHT is just co-op only.

Can't go wrong with either game, to be honest. I played a fair bit of DS and it's an awesome game in its own right. There is definitely 100's of hours of gameplay in Demon's Souls, similar to MHT, because there are different classes, different builds, tons of armor and weapons, and a good deal of secrets to discover. As for which one is more polished, that's probably down to personal preference.

I guess it all depends on how in depth you want to get, Demon's Souls throws a ton of values at you at all times, Monster Hunter not so much.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comparison! I'll get both of these eventually, but I'm itching for some monster killing this weekend. I may get MHT just for the controller.

just got the game, just gotta wait for the GF to get off work to pick up the Wii. Its going to be a long 2.5 hours....

I'm going to play a bit more later on, right now trying to learn how to do things in Fruity Loops, lol.

Plus, waiting for the sun to go down a bit more, so it doesn't effect my viewing pleasure. :3

Decided to get the game today as I got a giftcard a couple days ago. I really wish I knew when I'd have time to play it though (won't start until sometime after I move next month at the earliest).

Does anyone else have the problem of the text being super tiny? I've got a 46" HDTV, and the text is borderline unreadable at parts it's so small. First time I've ever experienced anything like this.

Checked all the options to enlarge it, and I don't think it's the TV's fault as I've played tons of PS3 / 360 / Wii and older games and never had a problem.

Picked up my preorder. Aren't they supposed to take $5 off at the time of purchase as well? They didn't.

Here is my Capcom code:6827x4 name: Mad D

[quote name='KingBroly']I've started the Capcom ID list[/QUOTE]

Then I'll start adding people to my roster, and will continually whenever more are listed.

[quote name='animalspinners']Does anyone else have the problem of the text being super tiny? I've got a 46" HDTV, and the text is borderline unreadable at parts it's so small. First time I've ever experienced anything like this.

Checked all the options to enlarge it, and I don't think it's the TV's fault as I've played tons of PS3 / 360 / Wii and older games and never had a problem.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Text seems super tiny to me, and I'm playing on a similar sized TV.

fuck. I haven't gone online yet. I can only imagine how borderline unreadable party chat will be for non Wiispeak users if the online chat font is the same size.

I got my copy a few hours ago. I'm still working my way through the tutorial (had to take a break to do some errands), and probably spent half an hour in the character creator making my first toon. Seriously...what is up with the female faces? (The words "tranny" and "blow up doll" come to mind). Call me vain, whatever...but...yeah.

I might scrap my first character and try making a male character instead...which should be a freaking hoot if I actually stick with him and go online and use Wiispeak with him.

I plan on playing offline for a little bit first, as I hear there are real game advantages for farming items if you play offline and upgrade your village. Plus I want a Chacha to kill...err, party with! (I'd rather have one of those awesome attack Felynes from the PSP versions though...fuuuuuuu.)

I played it online earlier with some friends and it was pretty fun.

Mad D, it seems your Capcom ID is incorrect.

Game is a lot of fun. I will post my capcom ID later when I get back on. Glad I got it, and the new classic controllers are amazing.

I'll post mine, after all these tutorials and stuff. I got to the mushroom quest and was like "Guh, I don't want to do this right now."

Just remember: To accept friend requests, you have to say Yes and then reply to a Message. Even if you sent the first message.

I'm glad to hear there's a long tutorial. I actually got to play it for about a half hour tonight.

Is there a wiki for the game people like using?

I played for about 1-2 hours and it seemed a bit boring. Is this one of those games where it takes a long time to become fun? I hope I can get into it soon. But I probably don't have time to play until this weekend...

The beginning missions will suck hard, trust me, they are so boring. I can't stand them myself right now.

I hate the kelbi horn mission, I hunted 20+ kelbi and finally got both horns. Guh... Being a great sword user can suck at times. :/

Also, I do not have Wii Speak, but a USB keyboard. Got the Hunter Armor set, and upgraded my Bone Great Sword (I find Bone to be a lot more reasonable to upgrade, than the Metal series). Now, to decide if I want to go Ludroth or Jawblade...

bread's done
Back