MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! - "Komplete Edition" coming Feb 28th - see post 970

[quote name='bill123']Question for you guys. I tried the demo today and love it a lot but suck major as. My hands cramp up trying to fight. Would I do better with a fight stick? And if so what would you guys recommend for a beginner?[/QUOTE]

the 360 controller has better access to certain moves like the x-ray attack and air throws, the tournament stick has the arcade layout however unless you map one of the button for the x-ray attacks closer to your hands you'll find yourself letting go of the joystick to reach up and press block and LT at the same time. one thing I didn't like about it.

I suppose you can get used to it after a while but for now, I just do enhanced attacks more.

[quote name='Static X']Can anybody tell me what DLC comes in the tournament edition exactly? Really just wanting to know about the Klassic skins. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

- Ermac classic costume code
- Subzero classic costume/original fatality (Best Buy)
- Nether Realm avatar t-shirt + 1 random avatar costume (I got Scorpion)
- Additional online game DLC that allows access to leaderboards and extra stuff (which I guess is universal)

^^^Yeah, you have to be an octopus to pull off X-Ray with the TE stick with the default settings. I actually managed to do it once purely by luck. Remapped immediately after I was done though.

So I'm fighting through Ladder for the first time and thinking "no way I'm going to beat Shao Kahn anytime soon." Then I learned to just stay the fuck away from him. Dude taunts so much it's not too hard at all.

The stick is really nice. Keep in mind I am not a stick person...I bought the SF IV Tournament Edition stick about 2 years ago and eventually got rid of it. Just couldn't get used to it. It's probably because it's the bat-style stick, which I prefer, but the MK TE stick is great. Seems very responsive, moves are a cinch to pull off, and for the first time pretty much ever I can see myself getting used to this and using it exclusively.

Love the fact they even thought to pad the bottom if you want to hold it on your lap.

[quote name='Static X']Can anybody tell me what DLC comes in the tournament edition exactly? Really just wanting to know about the Klassic skins. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
TE includes Ermac outfit and the Avatar gear (Scorpion outfit and Neatherealm shirt), If you get it from Best Buy it has the Sub Zero outfit inside the box. I'm assuming the Wal Mart version has the Mileena one and the GS one has the Scorpion one. Amazon provided the Reptile code via email. Also includes the online pass that is becoming far too prevalent in games for my liking. Guess I'd better get used to it.

[quote name='Static X']Ahh. So it's not Sub Zero and Ermac? It's just Ermac and the preorder bonus from whoever you got the game for?[/QUOTE]

yeah, the box like DJ Hero has a plastic slot that they push the game + any DLC cards into. One way in, no way out. So based on which retailer got what, they just put the DLC cards into those slots and ship them out.

Forgot to ask...anyone try to link their account on themortalkombat.com? I keep getting a "your account could not be updated"-ish message every time I try to do the link. This is Rock Band 3 all over again. Uh, unless I'm the only one having the problem.

Gamestop's Scorpion code came on the receipt, not in the TE box. Also, I totally didn't realize we could link our accounts! I can't wait to do that.

Awesome - I load up the game for the first time - scroll through the multiplayer lobby for a CAG one, and I get to the bottom(WAtto), and THE GAME FREAKING FREEZES my Xbox.

Edit - I played the first dozen or so challenge towers and then switch to the Krypt and it freezes again.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my custom stick I've had no problems doing the X-rays as if they were Sub-Zero/Reptile's old "slide" move. Just press LP+BL+LK (sorry, I mean FK+BL+BK; gotta get used to this new notation) together. Unless it's somehow different on a TE stick?
[quote name='KaneRobot']Forgot to ask...anyone try to link their account on themortalkombat.com? I keep getting a "your account could not be updated"-ish message every time I try to do the link. This is Rock Band 3 all over again. Uh, unless I'm the only one having the problem.[/QUOTE]No dice for me either. Tried using different browsers and generating several different codes. I'll just chalk it up to launch day jitters and try again tomorrow.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Forgot to ask...anyone try to link their account on themortalkombat.com? I keep getting a "your account could not be updated"-ish message every time I try to do the link. This is Rock Band 3 all over again. Uh, unless I'm the only one having the problem.[/QUOTE]

I tried multiple times today to get that to work, and nothing. They must be getting hammered right now! Luckily, I only experienced mild lag playing online with some friends earlier. I'm sure in a week or so things will be a bit easier. Also, I'll be on all week if anyone wants to play with a fellow CAG.

[quote name='hufferstl']Awesome - I load up the game for the first time - scroll through the multiplayer lobby for a CAG one, and I get to the bottom(WAtto), and THE GAME FREAKING FREEZES my Xbox.

Edit - I played the first dozen or so challenge towers and then switch to the Krypt and it freezes again.[/QUOTE]

I feel you there. The game has already frozen twice on my end. Once when I finished doing Cyrax's Babality and the other when I finished doing Scorpion's Fatality.

I finished Story Mode earlier today. Also I thought I would be more excited about the Challenge Tower but 50 Challenges finished, I'm sort of bored.

Which sucks because outside of beating Arcade Mode with everyone, there's no other way to gain money for the Krypt. Playing Story Mode for the 2nd time seems to net you maybe 10% of the first run (Ex. Johnny Cage's first fight gave me 10 Koins instead of 100 the first time around)

[quote name='MSUHitman']What's the best button layout for the Madcatz sticks?[/QUOTE]

i think defaults best really

i tried sort of making it classic but it jut made things worse as a lot of special moves ended are not the same as they were in mk2

anyways i got it and i think its pretty fun. it plays a lot like tekken. i see some of the street fighter crowd not liking it tho. not really as execution heavy as trying to do some of that stuff in mvc3 :)

[quote name='giantqtipz']i didnt get mine!

also i preordered both KE and TE, so i should get two $10 credits and 2 reptile codes right?[/QUOTE]
Amazon only offered the $10 credit for the standard edition not the CE or TE.. I ordered the TE

[quote name='hufferstl']Awesome - I load up the game for the first time - scroll through the multiplayer lobby for a CAG one, and I get to the bottom(WAtto), and THE GAME FREAKING FREEZES my Xbox.

Edit - I played the first dozen or so challenge towers and then switch to the Krypt and it freezes again.[/QUOTE]
The exact same thing happened to me on the PS3 version. Game's locked my PS3 up about 4 times.

Yes, ever since the option for hard drive installation has been available, there is no excuse not to - it's only full of advantages. People are just anxious and lazy.

What is the point of Smoke's shake ability?

I wish the PS3 version had the install option. I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

Smoke's shake is a defensive move, guards against projectiles.

if you go invis then shake, your "human" opponent has much less of a chance of knowing you're doing a defensive move. If they throw a projectile it gets absorbed/reflected, your opponent get's teleported and dropped with a puff of smoke and if you time it right you can get an air juggle or at least an uppercut in before they hit the floor.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What's the best button layout for the Madcatz sticks?[/QUOTE]
Here's the layout I'm using....

FP BL BP
FK TG BK

I have the 8th buttons mapped to the throw & stance macros but don't use them. This layout incorporates the new MK layout/classic style the closest you can do it on a SF stick. If you played MK in the arcades back in the day, this only took a few matches to get used to.

Keep in mind, you don't need the macro buttons...

FP + FK = Throw
FK + BK = Stance (which doesn't affect gameplay)
FK + BL + BK = X-Ray
BP + BK = Tag (I've heard this, haven't confirmed it).

I wish you could disable the macro buttons & map two buttons to something else. If the tag works with BP + BK, I'd have both center buttons be BL to make enhanced moves a little easier.

So I wonder when all of the 'klassic' costumes will be available for DLC, so we can LOL @ people who are spending $20+ on eBay

[quote name='MtlTom']Here's the layout I'm using....

FP BL BP
FK TG BK

I have the 8th buttons mapped to the throw & stance macros but don't use them. This layout incorporates the new MK layout/classic style the closest you can do it on a SF stick. If you played MK in the arcades back in the day, this only took a few matches to get used to.

Keep in mind, you don't need the macro buttons...

FP + FK = Throw
FK + BK = Stance (which doesn't affect gameplay)
FK + BL + BK = X-Ray
BP + BK = Tag (I've heard this, haven't confirmed it).

I wish you could disable the macro buttons & map two buttons to something else. If the tag works with BP + BK, I'd have both center buttons be BL to make enhanced moves a little easier.[/QUOTE]

I'm having a difficult time juggling buttons on the Fightpad. I think I've found a layout that works (most importantly, one that allows X-Rays). I think I might still have to fine tune it some more. I haven't even dabbled with Tag, so I may need to shift some things around.

PROTIP:

Secret Treasure Chest Locations
In the Krypt, the following locations will give you secret treasure chests.

Deadlands: To the right of DL-52, left of the building

Hollow of Infestation: Along the wall, in front of a demon head sculpture

Meadow of Despair: To the right of the Necropolis entry

Bloodmarsh: Along the wall, in front of a demon head sculpture

They each contain 5,000 Koins; there are a total of 4 secret chests to give you an additional 20,000 Koins! Look for, and stand in small green areas on the ground that resemble green spiders moving around in a puddle.

Courtesy: IGN

Stayed home from work today. Tee-hee. It's going to be a while before I can compete since I'm still getting used to the stick, but let's get KAG lobby going tonight or something and you call all whoop on me.

Man, the Avatar gear selection is weak as hell. I used to be very anti-virtual clothes (and probably still should be) but ever since that poker game came out I've had a weird affinity for buying ridiculous outfits to wear while playing it. All they've got to choose from in the MK section are Scorpion & Sub-Zero outfits, a Netherealm T-shirt, Shao Kahn's helmet (and that's it) modern-day Ermac's mask (and that's it) - come on. We need Raiden, Kano, Baraka, and Kung Lao full outfits & Johnny Cage autograph accessory.

[quote name='KaneRobot']^^^Yeah, you have to be an octopus to pull off X-Ray with the TE stick with the default settings. I actually managed to do it once purely by luck. Remapped immediately after I was done though.

[/QUOTE]

No, you don't. You can also use LP+LK+Block to pull off your X-Ray instead of using the button mapped to the top of the tournament stick.

Use this set up...

FP BL BP
FK SW BK

This this set up, you can easily hit Throw, Tag and X-Ray.

Throw = FP+FK (both left side buttons)
X-Ray = BL+SW (both middle buttons)
Tag = BP + BK (both right side buttons)

PS: SW = Switch Stance

[quote name='GuardianE']I'm having a difficult time juggling buttons on the Fightpad. I think I've found a layout that works (most importantly, one that allows X-Rays). I think I might still have to fine tune it some more. I haven't even dabbled with Tag, so I may need to shift some things around.[/QUOTE]

What do you have it mapped as right now? For me, I have the top right button (LB?) as my block. I made RB my stance switch (I never use it) and RT is still grab for me. Makes things A LOT easier when doing EX and X-Ray moves (hold LB + special move for EX and LB + RB does stance change which are lined up).

Quick tags and tag assists are still a b*tch to do though! Btw, great matches last night GuardianE!

[quote name='kburns10']What do you have it mapped as right now? For me, I have the top right button (LB?) as my block. I made RB my stance switch (I never use it) and RT is still grab for me. Makes things A LOT easier when doing EX and X-Ray moves (hold LB + special move for EX and LB + RB does stance change which are lined up).

Quick tags and tag assists are still a b*tch to do though! Btw, great matches last night GuardianE![/QUOTE]

My current setup is :
FP BP Throw
FK BK Tag

Switch Stance + Block are the two Bumper/Triggers.

I don't think it'll really work. I didn't know the button combinations that Jimbo posted above, so I might do a modified version of that setup.

Good games, yesterday! Sorry I kept picking Jade, if it was boring. She's the one character I'm pretty dead set on maining, so I need to get some practice. Like I said, I have literally never done more than spam special moves and uppercut in previous MK games, so it'll be a learning experience for me. I still can't get over the block button. I'm really not used to there being a button for blocking.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty sure I have to stick with my setup above. It's a necessary evil for when I need to do Enhanced Moves.

:rofl: at them having "Rage Quit" leaderboards on themortalkombat.com.

Unfortunately it's blank, since account linking still doesn't work.

[quote name='KaneRobot']:rofl: at them having "Rage Quit" leaderboards on themortalkombat.com.

Unfortunately it's blank, since account linking still doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

People were talking about this yesterday. How does account linking actually work? Some people were talking about inputting a code into the website to get information?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I wish the PS3 version had the install option. I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

Smoke's shake is a defensive move, guards against projectiles.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 version actually stealth installs while you play. Check your data file.

[quote name='GuardianE']People were talking about this yesterday. How does account linking actually work? Some people were talking about inputting a code into the website to get information?[/QUOTE]In the options under "social messaging" you can generate a code that you're supposed to enter into the website (once you set up an account). From there you can get detailed online tracking, and automatic updates posted onto your Facebook page and such. Rock Band 3 has something like this but it took them a week or so past launch to get it working!

[quote name='GuardianE']People were talking about this yesterday. How does account linking actually work? Some people were talking about inputting a code into the website to get information?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, it's still down. You would normally generate a code from the options menu and input that on the website after registering. Hopefully it will work again soon. And don't worry about Jade. It's a really good time to pick a main and practice. I'm thinking of maining Sonya so I'll probably put some work in tonight with her.

Also, KaneRobot and Jimbo I sent you guys friend requests on XBL. Hoping we can create a CAG KOTH room tonight.

[quote name='GuardianE']
The PS3 version actually stealth installs while you play. Check your data file.[/QUOTE]
Man, I was wondering where some space on my system magically went. The install doesn't work that well, I'm still dealing with a lot of freezes. Shit needs to be patched.

Yeah - they likely prioritized the PS3 version to get it up and running, as has been the habit with this game. I'd expect it'll be working on 360 very soon though. Looks like it'll be mainly used for stats/leaderboards/posting annoying messages to FB & Twitter when you get achievements and stuff.

[quote name='eastx']It's definitely not working on 360, and this is the 360 forum in case you've forgotten.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.. I'm so used to the 360 stuff working and the PS3 stuff being the bastard child that underperforms. :(

[quote name='screwkick']PROTIP:

Secret Treasure Chest Locations
In the Krypt, the following locations will give you secret treasure chests.

Deadlands: To the right of DL-52, left of the building

Hollow of Infestation: Along the wall, in front of a demon head sculpture

Meadow of Despair: To the right of the Necropolis entry

Bloodmarsh: Along the wall, in front of a demon head sculpture

They each contain 5,000 Koins; there are a total of 4 secret chests to give you an additional 20,000 Koins! Look for, and stand in small green areas on the ground that resemble green spiders moving around in a puddle.

Courtesy: IGN[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that...to follow-up, you have to stand and look at the patch of ground with the glowing insect-things for several seconds, then you will "lock-in" to it and have SEC(#) pop up for purchase.

[quote name='xilly']Fair enough.. I'm so used to the 360 stuff working and the PS3 stuff being the bastard child that underperforms. :([/QUOTE]

I was going to say, I'm pretty sure it's not working for me still. Thanks for the clarification everyone. I also don't have Twitter, so any kind of updates via Twitter will go right over my head.

[quote name='kburns10']I was going to say, I'm pretty sure it's not working for me still. Thanks for the clarification everyone. I also don't have Twitter, so any kind of updates via Twitter will go right over my head.[/QUOTE]

You could fix that in 30 seconds or so. Of course, I only got into Twitter once I started working for a gaming website. Publishers and developers love to tweet.

Xilly: NP. :)

So, the FedEx guy just dropped off my TE. This thing is absolutely huge. Needless to say, I've completely underestimated the size of it.

[quote name='eastx']You could fix that in 30 seconds or so. Of course, I only got into Twitter once I started working for a gaming website. Publishers and developers love to tweet.

Xilly: NP. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm debating it. Seems like more and more gaming updates happen on there. Might be worth looking into. I know Boon has been all over that thing since this game was being released.

[quote name='kburns10']
Also, KaneRobot and Jimbo I sent you guys friend requests on XBL. Hoping we can create a CAG KOTH room tonight.[/QUOTE]
Count me in too. I'll be on around 9. Wait till you feel the wrath of my scrub Sonya/Sektor.

EDIT: PS - the combo system in this game feels so foreign to me.

im down if you guys wanna get a koth going later.. shoot me an invite

how far are you guys on the challenge tower? i just made it to 100 earlier today.. only one i really had trouble with was cyrax when he slowed down every second.. took me bout 10 times to finally beat it

Just noticed the "respect points" in KotH achievement. I suppose we could boost that later.

Something that may have slipped through the cracks - saw this while looking through the strategy guide:

If you are in a vs. mode or practice, press Y to select your arena. While selecting your arena, press Start instead of A to confirm. You'll hear a laugh, and when you start the match the background music will be the original arcade music. Pretty awesome. Obviously this doesn't apply to new arenas (ie it'll work on The Courtyard, but not the night version of it).

bread's done
Back