Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe Deals

SuperJedi

CAGiversary!
If you Pre-order at Gamestop you'll get a Free T-shirt (Get it when you pick up the game)
MXvsDCU_Shirt_bonusLG.jpg

If you Pre-order at Best Buy you'll get a small Scorpion Cell inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='YabMan']Um... No they don't.[/quote]
Hands on impressions from another board. Enjoy.

So nearly every character in this game plays identically outside of specials. The attacks done in this game are incredibly stiff and clunky. If you have ever played nearly any other decent 2D or 3D fighter, you should realize that certain characters have different moves that help them prevail in different situations. Dhalsim can shoot his limbs long distance, but he is slow and tends to suffer at close range. Raphael has quick pokes that go in a linear fashion and therefore, most of his moves are easily dodged and crouched under. Hugo is slow, but very powerful. I could go on.

So what's wrong with this game? Well for starters, everyone has the EXACT same moves in the air. They mapped two punch and two kick buttons to the same punch and kick move which is just stupid. Both moves are very stiff covering little to no range and doing little to no damage and because they are identical from character to character, air games are non existent and very dull. Another issue with this game is the blocking and dodging concept. Midway was stupid with this game. They have always tried to keep the game feeling like the old school Mortal Kombats and because of this, they tried to infuse 2D and 3D gameplay. While this somewhat worked with games like King of Fighters Maximum Impact, it fails terribly in this game. With this game, you have to hold down a button and then press up or down in order to sidestep. This is so out of place and inconvenient that you rarely can do it without either suffering from a move that hits you regardless of being completely defenseless directly after doing it...which usually ends up being the same situation. It does make dodging projectiles a lot easier, but that's assuming you can manage to pull it off in time.

Just about all characters have the same basic attacks on the ground. Incredibly linear punch and kicks that feel so stick and clunky that I can only help, but wonder who the hell designed them. You're lucky to get maybe two or three unique strikes between characters and this tends to be the exact same priority and range of every other strike, but with a slightly different looking animation and I mean slightly. Because of how difficult it is to actually play the game and sidestep, you will find that once things get close quarters, the game suffers the most from terrible programming. Everyone in this game has the same uppercut move done with down second punch (if I am remembering this right) which is also second punch while crouching for the most part. Unfortunately, this move is slow as hell when it counts and really annoying in any other situation. It's very easy to just crouch when you see this move coming at you close range. So now that the person has the uppercut out and you are crouching, you would think you would have some sort of priority or advantage over them right?

WRONG. Nearly 100% of the time, even attempting and uppercut directly after there uppercut results in them having enough time to just crouch it again ...for some odd reason.The game lacks a decent sweep attack. Sweep moves in fighting games tend to be hard, cover decent range, and send people to the ground. This game lacks a real move like that and instead, you just get a clunky kick that is near useless. Close quarters in this game is absolutely terrible. It essentially results in someone just turtling as the other person spams the same generic attacks everyone else has. Either that...or you are getting dominated close up by characters like Death Stroke and Baracka who have a clear advantage over everyone else because of their slightly longer range weapons. It's silly and ridiculous.

There are also already infinites.

[quote name='Ice Cold']The truth about MK vs DC. Everyone knows this is true if you have played any of the last 3 MK games Deception Deadly Alliance and Armageddon.

#1.Each character shares at least 85% of their basic attacks and throws with every other character.

.[/QUOTE]

All the 2D MK games were pretty much the same way. Everyone had the same jump kick, upperpunch, leg sweep and jump kick moves. In MK1 three characters had different jump punches, but that was about it other than special moves. MK has never tried to be Virtual Fighter or Tekken, thats for sure.

[quote name='genfuyung']Hands on impressions from another board. Enjoy.

So nearly every character in this game plays identically outside of specials. The attacks done in this game are incredibly stiff and clunky. If you have ever played nearly any other decent 2D or 3D fighter, you should realize that certain characters have different moves that help them prevail in different situations. Dhalsim can shoot his limbs long distance, but he is slow and tends to suffer at close range. Raphael has quick pokes that go in a linear fashion and therefore, most of his moves are easily dodged and crouched under. Hugo is slow, but very powerful. I could go on.

So what's wrong with this game? Well for starters, everyone has the EXACT same moves in the air. They mapped two punch and two kick buttons to the same punch and kick move which is just stupid. Both moves are very stiff covering little to no range and doing little to no damage and because they are identical from character to character, air games are non existent and very dull. Another issue with this game is the blocking and dodging concept. Midway was stupid with this game. They have always tried to keep the game feeling like the old school Mortal Kombats and because of this, they tried to infuse 2D and 3D gameplay. While this somewhat worked with games like King of Fighters Maximum Impact, it fails terribly in this game. With this game, you have to hold down a button and then press up or down in order to sidestep. This is so out of place and inconvenient that you rarely can do it without either suffering from a move that hits you regardless of being completely defenseless directly after doing it...which usually ends up being the same situation. It does make dodging projectiles a lot easier, but that's assuming you can manage to pull it off in time.

Just about all characters have the same basic attacks on the ground. Incredibly linear punch and kicks that feel so stick and clunky that I can only help, but wonder who the hell designed them. You're lucky to get maybe two or three unique strikes between characters and this tends to be the exact same priority and range of every other strike, but with a slightly different looking animation and I mean slightly. Because of how difficult it is to actually play the game and sidestep, you will find that once things get close quarters, the game suffers the most from terrible programming. Everyone in this game has the same uppercut move done with down second punch (if I am remembering this right) which is also second punch while crouching for the most part. Unfortunately, this move is slow as hell when it counts and really annoying in any other situation. It's very easy to just crouch when you see this move coming at you close range. So now that the person has the uppercut out and you are crouching, you would think you would have some sort of priority or advantage over them right?

WRONG. Nearly 100% of the time, even attempting and uppercut directly after there uppercut results in them having enough time to just crouch it again ...for some odd reason.The game lacks a decent sweep attack. Sweep moves in fighting games tend to be hard, cover decent range, and send people to the ground. This game lacks a real move like that and instead, you just get a clunky kick that is near useless. Close quarters in this game is absolutely terrible. It essentially results in someone just turtling as the other person spams the same generic attacks everyone else has. Either that...or you are getting dominated close up by characters like Death Stroke and Baracka who have a clear advantage over everyone else because of their slightly longer range weapons. It's silly and ridiculous.

There are also already infinites.[/quote]

Have you played the game?

[quote name='hufferstl']All the 2D MK games were pretty much the same way. Everyone had the same jump kick, upperpunch, leg sweep and jump kick moves. In MK1 three characters had different jump punches, but that was about it other than special moves. MK has never tried to be Virtual Fighter or Tekken, thats for sure.[/quote]

In the 10+ years its been since MK1 there should be some noticeable improvements. I cant think of a single one.

I got the game yesterday, and I really enjoy it. So to each their own. I'm enjoying learning the combos and such with each character, and I actually like the story. If you like Mortal Kombat, I'd recommend it. Although, I didn't really have any expectations going in.

The online setup is pretty nice too with stats and leaderboards and such.

I am sorry I haven't done a Great job keep this thread updated.

There are just so much **** in my life these days. Especially the last TWO days has really been HELL for me.

:(

If you are brave, sendit.com has the uncensored UK versions for ~$44 USD shipped. :)

I've bought from them before, they are fast and extremely reliable + great customer service.

[quote name='Ruined']If you are brave, sendit.com has the uncensored UK versions for ~$44 USD shipped. :)

I've bought from them before, they are fast and extremely reliable + great customer service.[/quote]

Why brave? I've been waiting for a deal on the UK version, so this is perfect for me. Anything I should be aware of?

[quote name='GuardianE']Why brave? I've been waiting for a deal on the UK version, so this is perfect for me. Anything I should be aware of?[/QUOTE]

Though all past Midway titles have been region-free, there is a small chance of region coding preventing playback on US 360s. Of course, no one has tried it yet, but I put in my order and took a gamble.

[quote name='Agentredd']OP would it be possible to update the initial post?[/quote]

YES I CAN Update the OP post, if you tell me what to update.

[quote name='Ruined']Though all past Midway titles have been region-free, there is a small chance of region coding preventing playback on US 360s. Of course, no one has tried it yet, but I put in my order and took a gamble.[/quote]

Oh I thought there was something I should be concerned about the store operations. I'm getting the PS3 version so I don't have to worry about those pesky regions. ;)

Are there actually any deals on the Kollector's Edition though?

$50 for the Regular edition isn't really that enticing, since CE is well worth $10 more plus the FREE T-shirt at Gamestop is valued $10 itself!

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']so brother reserved the limited edition for 360 today at gamestop.. didnt give him anything.. hoping it comes in at some point.[/quote]
If Gamestop won't give me anything, the first thing I'd do is to tell them to "REFUND!!!" I am NEVER dependent on Gamestop for games.

[quote name='SuperJedi']I am sorry I haven't done a Great job keep this thread updated.

There are just so much **** in my life these days. Especially the last TWO days has really been HELL for me.

:([/quote]

two days? Weve known about CC being 50 bucks + art cell for two weeks.

If people are gonna make these threads, they need to be updated, youve been mass posting everywhere else but in this thread :( Its your duty.. Im betting most people over paid cuz they didnt know there were any deals man :(

[quote name='Ruined']Though all past Midway titles have been region-free, there is a small chance of region coding preventing playback on US 360s. Of course, no one has tried it yet, but I put in my order and took a gamble.[/quote]

Are both PS3 games and blu-ray movies region free, or is it just games?

Kotaku has a review up. Worst part?

Character specific endings in Arcade mode consist of nothing more than a piece of character artwork with narration.

Lazy fucking midway.

[quote name='genfuyung']Kotaku has a review up. Worst part?

Character specific endings in Arcade mode consist of nothing more than a piece of character artwork with narration.

Lazy fucking midway.
[/quote]

lol, that's how it's always been. Or close to it, anyway. Every MK character ending has always been a few screenshots with narration. MK4 had short movies, I think, but nothing else did.

I'm really getting the game more for the sheer novelty of it. I'm not expecting deep gameplay. I get that from Namco, Capcom, and SNK. Here, I'm just looking for dumb fun with simple gameplay.

[quote name='GuardianE']lol, that's how it's always been. Or close to it, anyway. Every MK character ending has always been a few screenshots with narration. MK4 had short movies, I think, but nothing else did.

I'm really getting the game more for the sheer novelty of it. I'm not expecting deep gameplay. I get that from Namco, Capcom, and SNK. Here, I'm just looking for dumb fun with simple gameplay.[/quote]

Same and I fully plan to enjoy it when I can get a UK copy for $20

[quote name='genfuyung']Im pretty sure one of the xbox ones had cutscene endings.[/quote]

Hmm... I don't remember. You might be right.

Deception had pictures with narration. Armageddon was even worse with just a character doing kata forms with narration. Deadly Alliance had pictures with narration. Nope, I don't think there were any movies.

Shaolin Monks might have, but that was an action game.

Hell, if there are cutscenes between matches then we're getting some generosity from Midway here. Deception did have a pretty extensive story mode that was kind of impressive, and Armageddon had a Shaolin Monks ripoff, but nothing character specific for those... they told the story of one specific character.

[quote name='GuardianE']Hmm... I don't remember. You might be right.

Deception had pictures with narration. Armageddon was even worse with just a character doing kata forms with narration. Deadly Alliance had pictures with narration. Nope, I don't think there were any movies.

Shaolin Monks might have, but that was an action game.

Hell, if there are cutscenes between matches then we're getting some generosity from Midway here. Deception did have a pretty extensive story mode that was kind of impressive, and Armageddon had a Shaolin Monks ripoff, but nothing character specific for those... they told the story of one specific character.[/quote]

I could be wrong. Its been quite a while since those games came out. Idk I just think that ending cutscenes should be in there. Its not like the console cant handle it. It just comes down to laziness. Obviously this is a game for hardcore fans of MK and DC and they've mentioned putting a lot of work into pleasing the fans. I think a lot of people would like to see ending cutscenes even if they arent story heavy.

DOA4s endings for example are great. They have nothing to do with whatever paper thin story gives the characters an excuse for fighting but they sure are nice to unlock and watch.

[quote name='genfuyung']I could be wrong. Its been quite a while since those games came out. Idk I just think that ending cutscenes should be in there. Its not like the console cant handle it. It just comes down to laziness. Obviously this is a game for hardcore fans of MK and DC and they've mentioned putting a lot of work into pleasing the fans. I think a lot of people would like to see ending cutscenes even if they arent story heavy.

DOA4s endings for example are great. They have nothing to do with whatever paper thin story gives the characters an excuse for fighting but they sure are nice to unlock and watch.[/quote]

I just youtubed the endings. None of them are movies.

Oh, I agree completely with what you're saying though. If they put half the work into the endings as they did into the intro to both of those games, fans would be really happy. But they are lazy and I've come to expect it. It's not ideal, but then again I'm not paying full price for it either. And I'll be damned if I shell out any money for a censored version.

[quote name='GuardianE']I just youtubed the endings. None of them are movies.

Oh, I agree completely with what you're saying though. If they put half the work into the endings as they did into the intro to both of those games, fans would be really happy. But they are lazy and I've come to expect it. It's not ideal, but then again I'm not paying full price for it either. And I'll be damned if I shell out any money for a censored version.[/quote]

The intro movies just make the fact that there are no endings more disappointing. I remember armageddon and shaolin monks intros. They were fucking awesome. Whatever game that liu kang got killed in the intro was pretty cool too from what I remember. They're certainly capable of some great action scenes and I think with the DC characters they had a huge opportunity to blow people away.

[quote name='YabMan']My God genfuyung, do you do anything besides bitch?[/quote]
Play games :D.

lol at your capitilization of the word god when you use bitch in the same sentence.

[quote name='YabMan']My God genfuyung, do you do anything besides bitch?[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking. All he's trying to bury a game he doesn't even have for whatever reason.

It's a pretty fun game though. All of the additions to the figting system work really well but the story mode is really good. They pulled that off very well. It's like playing through a short movie. Also the way they srtipped down the fighting mechanics really helped to bring the MK series back to a more natural feel rather than depending on dial up combos. It really lacks on extras though and thus will lower it's replay value significantly but at it's core it's a decent game. I'll easily put this over Soul Calubur 4. Just way more fun. 8 / 10

Bought the 360 collector's edition at Frys, I regret the purchase. It's not the game though, I'm enjoying it. It's the horrible packaging that the collector's edition comes in. Came in a cardboard sleeve (ala Wii Sports) and the disc already had some a slight scratches on it. Totally not worth $69.99.

Here's a link to someone on the GameFAQS board with the pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikehart/3034510637/

I got a spare 360 case for it, but don't have a case insert for it. Contacted Midway to see if I can get a replacement case cover for the game (I was even willing to purchase it) and their customer support was absolute crap. Here was their response:

Unfortunately we cannot provide further packaging for your
collector's edition title. The packaging should be sufficient
to deliver your game to you in working order. Many retailers
stock plastic DVD cases, and they should be available fairly
cheaply.

Regards,
Midway Tech/Customer Support

If you're going to get this game, do yourself a favor and just pick up the regular edition. I'm just gonna have to wait for a high-res scan of the cover and print it out at Kinko's or something.

[quote name='emceelokey']That's what I'm thinking. All he's trying to bury a game he doesn't even have for whatever reason.

It's a pretty fun game though. All of the additions to the figting system work really well but the story mode is really good. They pulled that off very well. It's like playing through a short movie. Also the way they srtipped down the fighting mechanics really helped to bring the MK series back to a more natural feel rather than depending on dial up combos. It really lacks on extras though and thus will lower it's replay value significantly but at it's core it's a decent game. I'll easily put this over Soul Calubur 4. Just way more fun. 8 / 10[/QUOTE]

Over SC4? No fucking way. I might have to check it out now.

[quote name='emceelokey']That's what I'm thinking. All he's trying to bury a game he doesn't even have for whatever reason.

It's a pretty fun game though. All of the additions to the figting system work really well but the story mode is really good. They pulled that off very well. It's like playing through a short movie. Also the way they srtipped down the fighting mechanics really helped to bring the MK series back to a more natural feel rather than depending on dial up combos. It really lacks on extras though and thus will lower it's replay value significantly but at it's core it's a decent game. I'll easily put this over Soul Calubur 4. Just way more fun. 8 / 10[/quote]

Ive just gotten to the lex luthor and jax fight for the DC storyline. Everything Ive said just echoes what reviewers have said. Cant fight fanboyism though I guess. :-({|=:-({|=:-({|=

I can say something good about the game though. The jokers character model is amazing, his voice actor nails the part, and his cutscene animations fit him well.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']yeah i was gonna post it, but jedi hasnt updated the first page ever so why bother.

Pinoy whens ur MK due in?[/QUOTE]

Probably next week.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Its not even out yet until 21st which is the UK street date.[/quote]

oh thats right, they get it a week later. Haha uk. haha.

Let me know.... i may get it if its region free/uncensored @_@ You should take some video of fatalities.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']oh thats right, they get it a week later. Haha uk. haha.

Let me know.... i may get it if its region free/uncensored @_@ You should take some video of fatalities.[/QUOTE]
sure, i'll put some video of fatalities on youtube.

I have already put up a lot of MK videos. I was going to put up all the fatalities/brutalities, but it as already posted. I do have quite a few. Check out my youtube channel and subscribe for future vids. I will probably be doing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, DC Universe Online, and whatever else ppl suggest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lynsanity

The game videos are below the basketball video that I added. If there is enough interest I will add a few more...

bread's done
Back