Most Over Rated Game of All Time

I loved the first metal gear solid but the second had such a terrible storyline that it was dissapointing on so many levels.

And conker was so incredibly dissapointing to me that I've already traded it, me being a huge fan of the n64 version (it's in my top 10 game lists) they just flat out ruined it. Censoring the word twat, shit, and asshole, the ruined cutscenes because of it, the annoying green guys that require no skill but were just thrown about the level, the lack of any attention to detail that made the n64 version great etc. And don't even get me started on the multiplayer, what made conker 64 multiplayer so great was that you could be pissing on a guy one minute and the next chopping him to pieces with a chainsaw or eating him with a dinosaur. They ruined it by making it too serious.

And metroid prime 2, the original was great and I loved it. But something about this one really pissed me off, I don't know if it was the fact that the dark world was so incredibly weak level design wise compared to the original or if it was the uninspired boss battles, I actually stopped playing at the spider guardian and haven't picked the game up since.

Any year Madden , Halo 1 & 2 .

Honorable mention to Wipeout Pure.
It didn't exactly have alot of advertising, but it didn't deserve 9 or 10's .

Of course this is coming from a guy who is really enjoying Dead to Rights Reckoning.

[quote name='Apossum']don't mean to start an argument, but in case your wondering-- pac-man was the most advanced and engaging game at the time it came out, so it didn't have much to compete with. it's also about as original as it gets. there's some perspective for ya ;-)[/QUOTE]

It was a great game and may have been slightly advanced for its time, but a Pop40 record? Cereal? Saturday morning Cartoon? and countless knock-offs(super pacman, pacman jr.) really point to an overrated game. As far as being original... I would say it is just a rip-off of natural selection Eat or be eaten.

[quote name='GreenMonkey']I don't get the hate for Soul Calibur 2. It felt awfully like SC1 to me, for the brief time I got to play it (my fighting game playing buddy moved to a different state). SC2 rocks just as much as SC1 IMO.

My choice: Halo 2. Honestly I got the Xbox and I picked this up, ASAP, in January - I'd been hearing about Halo for years. A decent FPS but the story is nothing special (the old "aliens fucking with Earth" thing)...game plays well on dual analog, but honestly I don't see the appeal, even online. Guess I'm used to computer FPSs. I'll take Quake 2 multiplayer or maybe UT2004 over Halo 2 multiplayer any day...although I am still playing Halo 2 online, and it's pretty rowdy in co-op mode.

Just not worthy of all the frickin' 10s and praise I hear for it. I'm not a big fan of FPS in single player mode (a touch boring). The single player mode is better than most but nothing outstanding...story is decent but nothing groundbreaking...gameplay is standard FPS...Just not seeing the perfect 10s, etc that they hand out for this.[/QUOTE]

Someone with a mind set as mine. One of the most intellegent things I read all day.

Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Halo 2 (Xbox)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)
Star Wars: KOTOR (Xbox)
Jak II (PS2)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)
World of Warcraft (PC)
Viewtiful Joe (GCN)
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (PS2)

Jak II - I hated the direction the series went. Somewhat into gta territory.
PoP:SoT - This game got boring fast.
Loz:WW - Too easy, too short, sailing was boring.
RE4 - Sorry but the fixed camera angles, item boxes, and clunky controls were part of the series' charm.
Castlevania:HoD - Too easy, music sucked.
Dark Cloud - Zelda-killer my ass.
SW:KOTOR - 20 hours in it became such a chore to play.
FFX - The worst FF I've played. Why no overworld map? Wakka was as annoying as Jar-Jar and story was not entertaining.
Rayman 2 - What was so appealing about this game? It wasn’t fun.
Golden Sun - It just seemed too simple and too easy.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']It was a great game and may have been slightly advanced for its time, but a Pop40 record? Cereal? Saturday morning Cartoon? and countless knock-offs(super pacman, pacman jr.) really point to an overrated game. As far as being original... I would say it is just a rip-off of natural selection Eat or be eaten.[/QUOTE]

I can't make any excuses for the 80s :lol:

I bought the Pac Man fever 45 off of ebay for 2 bucks just to see how bad it was, but I never got around to listening to it.

:lol: "a rip off of natural selection"

but the idea still works-- Pac Pix for the DS is a really fun game

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']
FFX - The worst FF I've played. Why no overworld map? Wakka was as annoying as Jar-Jar and story was not entertaining.
[/QUOTE]

Praise to thee! Let's also remember the ubar retarded whale wannabe Sin with the most eccentric homo of a son ever, Tidus.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I just beat it and I have to agree, great for the first couple hours but then it just dies.[/QUOTE]

thirdeded

[quote name='zionoverfire']I just beat it and I have to agree, great for the first couple hours but then it just dies.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even play past the first area. I beat the Hydra, saw some digital breasts, and quit. :lol:

I played through the demo and was thinking to myself, "Whats so great about this?" It felt like Devil May Cry just not as fun, and DMC was only fun for the first few hours anyway.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']I played through the demo and was thinking to myself, "Whats so great about this?" It felt like Devil May Cry just not as fun, and DMC was only fun for the first few hours anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well it was fun at first because of the sword range, but yeah after about 2 hours it just started to feel like a DMC clone.

I would say state of emergency after GTA 3 everyone hyped SOE to be the 2nd coming.
Enter the Matrix was another, that game was flat out trash IMO

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I didn't even play past the first area. I beat the Hydra, saw some digital breasts, and quit. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Dude... your sig rocks. GO BECK!

oh ya.. overrated, definitely ff7

Final Fantasy 7, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom 3.

[quote name='InuFaye']ocerina of time. End of story[/QUOTE]

I have to agree here. The only game I sold at a $30 loss after owning it for about 3 hours because I detested it so much I just wanted it gone.

[quote name='Ajinryu']Final Fantasy 7, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom 3.[/QUOTE]
I would totally agree there. I would only add that most of the ones here that have a list of other games in the series, those other games are often over rated too. GTA:SA and so on.

[quote name='urzishra14']i would have to say Persona and Persona 2.. those games, while good, just aren't what they are talked up to be.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I agree. I beat Persona 1, but got maybe 1/3 of the way through the second, because you have to both fight and talk to advance. Thus, DOUBLE the battles. Yeecch.

sigh *gets ready to defend* Doom 3 never had hype, CS doesnt have hype, its just thee most played online computer game ever (rolls eyes) Halo 2's ending was cut so you'd buy the 3rd and their deadline (which is like a half a year earilier than when it came out, thank you production costs), MGS2 seemed really good never knew about its hype. GTA:SA is the best in its series, if your going to bash it bash the whole fucking series (just want the shaqfu thing hehe). Halo is the frist scifi shooter that people LOVED, and it only drove the Xbox to succecss...

Just because the game didn't fit you doesn't mean its overrated..

ICO. It's everyone's shic, "I'm so hardcore, I love ICO" pick for "Best Game You've Never Played". Well, I played it, and I just woke up from the sleep inducing coma it put me under.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']ICO. It's everyone's shic, "I'm so hardcore, I love ICO" pick for "Best Game You've Never Played". Well, I played it, and I just woke up from the sleep inducing coma it put me under.[/QUOTE]

Guess it's time for you to go back to your GTA and Madden.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Guess it's time for you to go back to your GTA and Madden.[/QUOTE]
Why does everyone use the same "You must only like GTA or Madden" comments when defending ICO? And yes, Madden uses more brains than ICO. ICO basically asks you to do one thing other than babysit someone who appears to have the attention span of a coked up Jonathan Lipnicky:

See black blob thing
Run towards blob
Hit blob with stick

I prefer games in which I have a little bit more to do than hold someone's hand as I climb up steps, around corners, and hit things with a piece of wood. "But Vanilla, it's INTERACTIVE ART!" Gimme a break.

I'm going to vote for your favorite game. That game is so overrated.

While my favorite game is so underrated and everyone should own it.

And if you say my favorite game is overrated, then you're wrong.

That covers this tired topic right? Everyone walks away disgruntled, mumbling in their sleep.

gta 1+2 wernt over-rated (though while i loves gta, i HATED 2) everything 3 and beyond is definietly over-rated

i dont think you can say ico is over rated, maybe over hyped by the cult following but it got fairly average ratings.

[quote name='punqsux']gta 1+2 wernt over-rated (though while i loves gta, i HATED 2) everything 3 and beyond is definietly over-rated

i dont think you can say ico is over rated, maybe over hyped by the cult following but it got fairly average ratings.[/QUOTE]
90.9% is a pretty damn high average rating. ;) Do your research before you make up stuff.

haha, that i should

truth be told, the only review i ever read of ico was in psm, and i remember they saying it was a good game but too short.

[quote name='punqsux']haha, that i should

truth be told, the only review i ever read of ico was in psm, and i remember they saying it was a good game but too short.[/QUOTE]
PSM is in no way a credible source of reviews. They can't really seem to hate any game at all as they give most game at least a 7 or higher. Plus, they were the only review that gave the game a score in the 70% range, with every other score 80% and up.

bread's done
Back