Most Over Rated Game of All Time

Anyone say ET for Atari? At least, it was the most overhyped from what I remember...I was real young.

Altered Beast for Genesis. Way to easy, graphics ok, but wasnt that impressed when I played it on Christmas Day.

Final Fantasy X for PS2. Played it for literally 2 hours before I decided I'd rather shit im my own mouth then ever hear that whiny bitch of a main character talk again.

GTA is not overrated....I loved everyone of the games....Those who didn't hate too much.

How the hell is the GTA series overrated? It basically created (or defined) a new genre of gaming (and remains the only game in it *excluded crappy titles*). Of course I am talking about 3/VC/SA, becaue those are the only ones I've played. %90.9?

GTA:SA - 94.8%
GTA:VC - 94.7%
GTA III - 95.0%

Average = %94.333(repeating)

If you hate Grand Theft Auto for anyother reason besides you don't like the theme of it (being in the mafia killing people) then you should go kill your(tastes in games)self .

[quote name='cyrix`']How the hell is the GTA series overrated? It basically created (or defined) a new genre of gaming (and remains the only game in it *excluded crappy titles*). Of course I am talking about 3/VC/SA, becaue those are the only ones I've played. %90.9?

GTA:SA - 94.8%
GTA:VC - 94.7%
GTA III - 95.0%

Average = %94.333(repeating)

If you hate Grand Theft Auto for anyother reason besides you don't like the theme of it (being in the mafia killing people) then you should go kill your(tastes in games)self .[/QUOTE]
i personally like the gta series in general, but they depend too much on the "omfg i kant believe yew can do that!!1" reaction than actully engaging the gamer.

[quote name='cyrix`'](and remains the only game in it *excluded crappy titles*)[/QUOTE]
I guess Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, Mercenaries, Roadkill, and some others "crappy titles" then? ;)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I guess Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, Mercenaries, Roadkill, and some others "crappy titles" then? ;)[/QUOTE]
you forgot true crime.

[quote name='punqsux']you forgot true crime.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played more than the minute the demo allowed. So I can't speak for it, but if you thought it was good, then I'd throw it in.

Nintendogs and Animal Crossing

AC is the worst game I've ever played, and Nintendogs is in the bottom 50 somewhere. And no, I haven't played the cliche worst games ever like E.T, I've steered away from wasting my time, but before AC it was Bebe's Kids on SNES, but thats hardly overrated xD

but yeah, AC was awful in every regard, from graphics to gameplay to sound.

Someone should read through the first X number of posts and take a few of the most frequent suggestions and add a poll, so we can get some hard numbers supporting the Halo series.

Shadow Hearts.

It's a cute game, but the graphics are pretty bland, the cut-scenes vacillate between interesting and SUCK, and the combat system (that freaking wheel of fortune) is freaking annoying.

Mediocre RPG at best, not sure why everybody raves about this game.

[quote name='camoor']Shadow Hearts.

It's a cute game, but the graphics are pretty bland, the cut-scenes vacillate between interesting and SUCK, and the combat system (that freaking wheel of fortune) is freaking annoying.

Mediocre RPG at best, not sure why everybody raves about this game.[/QUOTE]
Funny. Some one calling Shadow Hearts mediocre who has Xenosaga in his avator. Oh the irony.

Jade Empire has to be the most overrated game this generation. I'm a huge Xbox fan and a fan of Bioware and even I can admit that Jade Empire is trash. The story is boring, the characters are boring, the environments are boring, the combat is terrible, and the game is way too damn easy even with the difficulty cranked. I was shocked how horrible it was. I returned it about a week after I bought it. Come on Bioware, don't bull this junk on Mass Effect. KOTOR is one of the finest games this generation, you can do better than that!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I haven't played more than the minute the demo allowed. So I can't speak for it, but if you thought it was good, then I'd throw it in.[/QUOTE]
it was a joke. a joke no one could possibly figure out.

true crime sucked horribly.

i was trying to either a) get people to think i was saying those other games sucked, or b) true crime was actully a good game.

i however WAS NOT trying to get anyone to say "if you liked it add it to the list"...

:wink:

[quote name='camoor']Shadow Hearts.
Mediocre RPG at best, not sure why everybody raves about this game.[/QUOTE]

Because now that Suikoden, VP, Tales, persona are all popular games and series it's all the RPG underground has left. Oh wait they still have Ogre battle.:lol:

FFX, sorry just my two cents

most underrated = shenmue

" damn I didn't get to kill anybody this game must suck"

or morrowind " oh shit an rpg where I have to make my own choices thats BS"

[quote name='jshendel']Funny. Some one calling Shadow Hearts mediocre who has Xenosaga in his avator. Oh the irony.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're a Shadow Hearts fanboy...?

Perhaps you'd care to explain yourself.

I've gotta go with Halo. Anyone who's played an FPS on the PC knows that Halo's got a terrible single player game and honestly, while good, the multiplayer isn't as good as something like UT2K4 or CS.

[quote name='camoor']I'm assuming you're a Shadow Hearts fanboy...?

Perhaps you'd care to explain yourself.[/QUOTE]
No, I don't like fanboys. I did like both shadow hearts and Xenosaga. But, neither are outstanding. As far as sheer gameplay and story, I liked shadow hearts better. Xenosaga did get a lot of "mediocre" reviews

Any Online (only) game.

I can still pull out my NES, SNES, or N64 and play the games. However, the way things are going, it seems once a company determines a game is too old, it will shutdown the servers and make everyone buy the sequel. Leaving you stuck without being able to ever play the game again. Also, monthly fees (Guild Wars aside) is just like minting money. Seriously, $50 for a game and I have to pay to play it too? After I already payed for it? That is fucked up. That should be illegal. There should be a class action suit against this.

I guess they are not for me.

Did I not mention Secret of Evermore? I truly don't know how anyone can play this game longer then 5 or 10 minutes. Just my opinion as some seem to actually get into it.

Also, I really got tired of Wind Waker. I must have spent an eternity sailing that blasted sea. With that said, Wind Waker makes my "Most Over Rated Game of All Time" list.

[quote name='jshendel']No, I don't like fanboys. I did like both shadow hearts and Xenosaga. But, neither are outstanding. As far as sheer gameplay and story, I liked shadow hearts better. Xenosaga did get a lot of "mediocre" reviews[/QUOTE]

The Xenosaga story is very subtle and full of analogies - blink and you miss it.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people gush over Shadow Hearts, the game is mediocre at best (but the gameplay is downright annoying and the presentation/menu system is poor). The Shadow Hearts story is mildly interesting but marred by unintentionally hilarious storytelling techniques (shlooop shlooop anyone) and annoying characters.

I notice that you are not saying that Xenosaga was overrated, so I am going to ignore your useless posturing until you give me an arguement of substance.

Morrowind isn't underrated in the slightest. It got great reviews and sales.

I'm just going to say GTA 3. The idea sounded great, it looked fun and I had not seen one bad review, so I went out and bought it. It was great that first hour or so, exploring and doing everything I could, but then it was just boring. Even after my brother beat the thing, I went back and it was still tired.

Plus every wrestling game this generation, sans SD! Shut Your Mouth.

[quote name='camoor']The Xenosaga story is very subtle and full of analogies - blink and you miss it.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people gush over Shadow Hearts, the game is mediocre at best (but the gameplay is downright annoying and the presentation/menu system is poor). The Shadow Hearts story is mildly interesting but marred by unintentionally hilarious storytelling techniques (shlooop shlooop anyone) and annoying characters.

I notice that you are not saying that Xenosaga was overrated, so I am going to ignore your useless posturing until you give me an arguement of substance.[/QUOTE]
Correct. Xenosaga is not overrated. I never said/implied that. Nor have I said that Shadow Hearts is the greatest game on earth.
I was disappointed in the way Namco affected what is arguably one of the best RPG's (Xenogears) Many gameplay elements were lost in the transition.
I enjoy Shadow Hearts primarily because of the many references to the first of the series, Koudelka. The game is flawed, yes, but also innovative. The judgement ring keeps you on your toes, instead of blindingly pressing X in battles, like so many RPG's.
In closing, I rarely bash games. I take them at what they're worth, and enjoy it. My argument was not about overrating, but mediocrity.

[quote name='jshendel']he judgement ring keeps you on your toes, instead of blindingly pressing X in battles, like so many RPG's.
In closing, I rarely bash games. I take them at what they're worth, and enjoy it. My argument was not about overrating, but mediocrity.[/QUOTE]

I found after playing for a few hours that all I did was blindly hit x in an orderly fashion, it wasn't like you had to use magic or special moves constantly. Still I will give SH a lot of credit for trying to be different, it's nice when someone modifies the basic FF battle system.

[quote name='jshendel']Correct. Xenosaga is not overrated. I never said/implied that. Nor have I said that Shadow Hearts is the greatest game on earth.
I was disappointed in the way Namco affected what is arguably one of the best RPG's (Xenogears) Many gameplay elements were lost in the transition.
I enjoy Shadow Hearts primarily because of the many references to the first of the series, Koudelka. The game is flawed, yes, but also innovative. The judgement ring keeps you on your toes, instead of blindingly pressing X in battles, like so many RPG's.
In closing, I rarely bash games. I take them at what they're worth, and enjoy it. My argument was not about overrating, but mediocrity.[/QUOTE]

I would argue that innovation is not enough for an RPG game to be praised as a classic - it must also completely suceed in enough categories that it draws you into the character's interesting world (be it fantastic, futuristic, or apocolyptic)

That is why I believe Shadow Hearts is overrated - it's nice that they tried something new but most people will agree that in the end analysis their concept didn't completely succeed (ineffective cut scenes, two-dimensional cliched characters, the same "poor forgotten boy saves world" plot we've seen a million times since LOTR, etc).

I believe you are impling that Xenosaga is a mediocre run-of-the-mill game - however this is a game that doesn't assume that the viewer has the attention span of a meth-addled ferrit on terrets, and it doesn't shy away from making analogies to cutting-edge metaphysical philosophies. I would agree that it doesn't take as many risks as Shadow Hearts, however it's a more enjoyable ride and that's primarily what I judge games on.

Reading this post reminded me to pick up Xenosaga II, so I'll share more of my opinions on the series after I've cracked that sucker open.

my picks:

-Halo 2 (a good game but little improvement over the first one)

-Metroid Prime(an absolutely BEAUTIFUL game with tons of atmosphere...... and some of the crappiest controls ever. I swear Samus steers like a damn truck.)

[quote name='camoor']I would argue that innovation is not enough for an RPG game to be praised as a classic - it must also completely suceed in enough categories that it draws you into the character's interesting world (be it fantastic, futuristic, or apocolyptic)

That is why I believe Shadow Hearts is overrated - it's nice that they tried something new but most people will agree that in the end analysis their concept didn't completely succeed (ineffective cut scenes, two-dimensional cliched characters, the same "poor forgotten boy saves world" plot we've seen a million times since LOTR, etc).

I believe you are impling that Xenosaga is a mediocre run-of-the-mill game - however this is a game that doesn't assume that the viewer has the attention span of a meth-addled ferrit on terrets, and it doesn't shy away from making analogies to cutting-edge metaphysical philosophies. I would agree that it doesn't take as many risks as Shadow Hearts, however it's a more enjoyable ride and that's primarily what I judge games on.

Reading this post reminded me to pick up Xenosaga II, so I'll share more of my opinions on the series after I've cracked that sucker open.[/QUOTE]
amen
P.S. I have also yet to play XenoSaga 2

lol you'll laugh at me but its funny i stumbled on this thread. I was going through my old school Game Informers. TUROK EVOLUTION WE'VE PLAYED THE FIRST NEXT GENERATION FPS

LMFAO i remember reading that and getting excited cause i enjoyed the earlier 2, keyword TWO turok 1 and turok 2, and than i rented it, despite the reviews. WOW this game was fucking TERRIBLE.

Halo definately up there.

Devil May Cry 2 OMG you can flip off walls! Wait why did the game just end....

[quote name='Graystone']Halo
Halo 2
WRESTLEMAINA 21[/QUOTE]

WrestleMania 21 was slammed by reviewers all around. How can it be overrated?

With that said, I liked the game. Never had glitching problems except in a couple matches online with Scorch, and it was a solid game. 7/10.

Halo and Halo2.

They are not bad games, they may even be the best FPS games on a console... which makes them about the 20th best FPS overall. The single player sucks, the multiplayer is average at best. The game is derivitive and unoriginal. Ohhhh, 16 person multiplayer? Welcome to 5+ years ago on PC. Voice chat? Halflife and its mods had that in 1999. Buy hey, at least Halo added horrible control to the mix.

Game of the Year? Gimme a break!

Resident Evil series (not 4, which I have yet to play). Overrated mainly due to the HORRIBLE control scheme.

[quote name='sgs89']Resident Evil series (not 4, which I have yet to play). Overrated mainly due to the HORRIBLE control scheme.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Resident Evil 4 is the most over rated game of all time.

[quote name='bfg9k']Pac-Man for the 2600[/QUOTE]

That wasn't overrated. Everyone thought it sucked.

A true overrated game is Battle Arena Toshinden. It got high marks when it first came out. No one holds the series in high regard anymore.

I am not sure what some of you are using as criteria to determine if something is overrated but IMO it is this....

Any game that has fans that initially like a game and then the fans realized it was just a gimmick or poorly made is a real overrated game.

Any game that has fans that initially like a game and then the fans realized it was just a gimmick or poorly made is a real overrated game.

This is what makes all the people who stood in line at 12 AM for the over-rated Halo 2 feel stupid.

"I PLAY GAME"

.... drumroll.......hmm umm mmumm..ok nevermind look i just really hate the way people think Final fantasy tactics not only invented strategy RPG's but is the best one out there and i'm tired of KOEI getting ignored and shit on. OK im done. I dont have a most overrated but more of a personal gripe.

bread's done
Back