MS Puts Embargo on Kinect Reviews, Andy McNamara Weighs In

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/10/18/xbox-360-microsofts-kinect-review-embargo-is-a-red-flag/
Kinect is Microsoft’s biggest push for the Xbox gaming division to date. The Xbox division could sink or swim depending on the success of the device. However, in an unusual move the company has been hesitant to send out the device for review.

Many journalists in the gaming industry have complained about Microsoft’s hesitation to send the Kinect and any of its software offerings for review. This is actually something that has been actively talked about on game press forums.

In addition the publisher has also placed an embargo on posting any sort of review for the device prior to launch. Microsoft’s internal anti piracy investigation group has also issued a take-down notice to Destructoid, who incidentally made fun of the Kinect’s new commercials.

The fact that Microsoft is being so sensitive about any sort of criticism towards the device is a major concern. Just like how film studios won’t hold a pre-screening for movies that is expected to tank, the video game industry operates exactly the same way.

All Points Bulletin is a recent example, where the studio didn’t want the review of the game released before its launch. Publishers also had an embargo for Too Human and Haze up until launch day.

Typically its a very bad sign when publishers do this as it means that there is something wrong and the company wants to rely on ignorance and marketing rather than letting the public find out early. I am not saying this is the case for the Kinect, but it is very concerning nevertheless.

Here is what Andy McNamara, editor-in-chief of Gamer Informer recently tweeted (read from bottom up):
image_thumb8.png

lol. The best part of this is it's only going to make the reviews all the more harsh because people are going to be mad. This is going to be a mess. I hate motion controls of all kinds. The tech just isnt quite here yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Move and Kinect can both die, I couldn't care less about this crap.

Useless and pointless technology as far as gaming is concerned.

Yay! Perhaps they'll release that awesome Star Wars game on the Wii, like it should have been in the first place.

I swear this "me too" motion control shit has got to stop.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Can't wait for the crash and the burn.[/QUOTE]

Oh please. I'm so eager.

I think this and the above article share the same viewpoint: publishers are trying to manufacture reviews. It does throw up red flags when review embargoes go out of their way to limit freedom of speech. The only thing we as consumers can do is vote with our wallets. Considering who M$ is trying to market Kinectimals to, I don't think it will be a hard choice.

Some of the games coming out just look terrible... like Fighters Uncaged or something like that from Ubisoft. Single player fighting game with 12 opponents? Sounds more basic than Punch-Out... a freaking NES game.

I'm still holding out that there is potential that the Kinect (should have kept 'Natal') will actually work. The games are TERRIBLE, but if it works, I'd be happy. That means there is potential for it to be developed by a company that makes a game worth playing. River rafting, petting virtual tigers, and boxing 12 opponents hardly seems worth the $150 price tag... especially since with that $150 comes another $40+ per game.

More bad PR the better. Loathe motion controls, hope this and move fail and the PS4 and next X-box don't launch with motion controls in every sku.

The only things about Kinect that I'm excited about are that Yoga thing for me and the lady, the notion of controlling the dashboard with gestures and voice and seeing what they do with it in the 2nd generation of software.

Nonetheless, I won't be an early adopter.

Fine by me, I don't really want to see this succeed.

I said the same thing about Move, but, I actually won a free Move bundle. So, I'm definitely (at least) going to use it...

It sounds like MS is relying more on their half a billion they are spending on the product to advertise it and banking on if they put it infront of enough faces people will just blindly run out and buy it based on the fact its name shows up everywhere vs. them buying it because they hear how good of a product it is.

I dont personally care. I mean motion control is neat for me to mess with on occasion but I dont like it. And something about having to do EVERYTHING motion on the kinetic has no appeal to me at all. The wiimote while its response and accuracy does suck terrible isnt so bad because you atleast have a controller you can use as a frame of reference in space, you have buttons you can push and so on. Same thing with the ps3 Move, only the move from my experince does everything a wiimote can only 100x better plus some. But I dont want the kinetic because I dont want to depend on movements for every single action in a game. If I want to play a game for hours straight Im going to get real tired of waving my arms around and everything.

Which also on that topic leads me to believe as kinetic starts getting more games based around they will start being much shorter games and much simpler once they find out people dont want to wave their arms and jump around for 4 hours straight playing a game. Or be designed to play in small chunks and setup almost like mini games.

More like KiSUCKS!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

[quote name='gargus']It sounds like MS is relying more on their half a billion they are spending on the product to advertise it and banking on if they put it infront of enough faces people will just blindly run out and buy it based on the fact its name shows up everywhere vs. them buying it because they hear how good of a product it is.

I dont personally care. I mean motion control is neat for me to mess with on occasion but I dont like it. And something about having to do EVERYTHING motion on the kinetic has no appeal to me at all. The wiimote while its response and accuracy does suck terrible isnt so bad because you atleast have a controller you can use as a frame of reference in space, you have buttons you can push and so on. Same thing with the ps3 Move, only the move from my experince does everything a wiimote can only 100x better plus some. But I dont want the kinetic because I dont want to depend on movements for every single action in a game. If I want to play a game for hours straight Im going to get real tired of waving my arms around and everything.

Which also on that topic leads me to believe as kinetic starts getting more games based around they will start being much shorter games and much simpler once they find out people dont want to wave their arms and jump around for 4 hours straight playing a game. Or be designed to play in small chunks and setup almost like mini games.[/QUOTE]
...please stop calling it "kinetic."

This is a more a sign of the quality of game journalism than it is the quality of Kinect. Microsoft isn't exactly hiding Kinect. There are thousands of hands on impressions available.

Why are people so afraid of and angry with Kinect? Molyneux is one of its biggest supporters but he still pulled the Kinect features in Fable III at launch because he knew that the target market for that game wouldn't be interested in what they had developed so far.

As someone who played Kinect games, I can safely say the games I played are TERRIBLE.

[quote name='jkanownik']
Why are people so afraid of and angry with Kinect? [/QUOTE]

They're not afraid of Kinect per se. It's just disheartening to see MS and Sony chase after 'Wii Money' that really isn't there anymore. Gamers are worried that games they enjoy will be pushed to the side for Party Baby minigame clones.

Another reason to dislike Kinect is it is NS's biggest focus this holiday. People see the $500M spent on Kinect marketing as a wasted half billion dollars. Also, 360 only has Fable 3 as their 'big game' this holiday, and Fable is a polarizing franchise.

[quote name='jkanownik']Molyneux is one of its biggest supporters but he still pulled the Kinect features in Fable III at launch because he knew that the target market for that game wouldn't be interested in what they had developed so far.[/QUOTE]

Molyneux leaving promised features out a Fable game is surprising?

:rofl:

He's spent the past decade overpromising and under-delivering with Fable

[quote name='jkanownik']
Why are people so afraid of and angry with Kinect? Molyneux is one of its biggest supporters but he still pulled the Kinect features in Fable III at launch because he knew that the target market for that game wouldn't be interested in what they had developed so far.[/QUOTE]

Because on the Wii traditional games like Zelda were ruined (maybe I wouldn't use that strong of a word) by shoe horning in motion controls.

If Kinect and move are a success, I worry they're successor's will be bundled with every PS4 or Xbox 720 (or whatever they call it) and we'll see the same thing happen to traditional genre games on those consoles. As well as seeing more developers spend more time and resources making casual games rather than traditional genre games.

This gen it's no threat since it's a peripheral and the install base will be a small % of all 360 and PS3 owners. And I couldn't care less if it stayed that way next gen and motion controls were an option for people that want to play casual games etc. Just keep it out of my FPS, WRPG etc. games!

The general gaming sheeple just buy what they want based on the shiny commercials. It's the really informed gamers like here on CAG that MS and Sony have to worry about NOT buying their products.

But there's enough blind consumers out there that will just buy this crap because they or their lil brats want it that Sony and MS don't need to worry about gamers like the ones on CAG and the other gaming forums not joining the sheeple in blindly buying their crapware.

People's visions of potential futures and pasts are dramatically removed from reality. "What if" analysis only makes sense if you're comparing two possible scenarios. It is possible that the alternatives to Move and Kinect would have been dramatically reduced spending overall for both platforms. The $500MM for Kinect was undoubtably tied to a larger program that showed growth for the 360 platform, which would have benefitted all 360 titles (included core titles unrelated to Kinect). The alternative scenario could have been much, much worse for all gamers.

[quote name='jkanownik']People's visions of potential futures and pasts are dramatically removed from reality. "What if" analysis only makes sense if you're comparing two possible scenarios. It is possible that the alternatives to Move and Kinect would have been dramatically reduced spending overall for both platforms. The $500MM for Kinect was undoubtably tied to a larger program that showed growth for the 360 platform, which would have benefitted all 360 titles (included core titles unrelated to Kinect). The alternative scenario could have been much, much worse for all gamers.[/QUOTE]

Development wise in terms of shifting resources etc., that's true. I really don't think it will have much impact on the number of core games as long as things like Call of Duty and Halo are selling millions of copies.

But on motion control in core game's? Not so much. The Wii has already shown us that if they're packed in every console from launch, they get shoehorned into many core games.

Xbox 720 launches with a follow up to Kinect in every bundle, we may well get forced waggle/pointer control in Halo 5 or whatever just like we did in Zelda, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy etc.

Oh boy. Microsoft should enjoy their 360 model while they can. If Kinect sinks them, it'll be a long time before they put out another system!

[quote name='kburns10']Oh boy. Microsoft should enjoy their 360 model while they can. If Kinect sinks them, it'll be a long time before they put out another system![/QUOTE]

Good. I don't want new consoles for at least another 3 years anyway.

This is what happens when you over-promise that which you cannot realistically deliver on.

Though I have not experienced Kinect yet myself, just skeptical. Would be happy to be proved wrong...

[quote name='KaneRobot']Good. I don't want new consoles for at least another 3 years anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't see any new consoles for quite a while yet.

Both Sony and MS lost too much money the first few years of this generation to want to rush out another console when they're finally making money on the current generation since consoles always lose money the first couple of years (unless you take the Wii route of going underpowered rather than cutting edge).

[quote name='dmaul1114']But on motion control in core game's? Not so much. The Wii has already shown us that if they're packed in every console from launch, they get shoehorned into many core games.

Xbox 720 launches with a follow up to Kinect in every bundle, we may well get forced waggle/pointer control in Halo 5 or whatever just like we did in Zelda, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy etc.[/QUOTE]

Again you're making assumptions about what those games would have been. Metroid Other M, Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine have all shown that Nintendo is completely capable of crushing their fans' dreams without the help of motion controls.

[quote name='jkanownik']Again you're making assumptions about what those games would have been. Metroid Other M, Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine have all shown that Nintendo is completely capable of crushing their fans' dreams without the help of motion controls.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter.

I hate motion controls. Can be a great designed game, but the motion controls kill any chance of my fully enjoying it.

Xbox 720, PS4 launch with motion controls I'll wait a year or more to see if motion controls are being forced into core games. If they are, I'm done with gaming. If I can't just lounge on the couch, pound some beer and veg out while playing games (which is tough to do if a lot of motion is required), I'm not playing and will just put on a movie or tv show instead. My gaming has declined dramatically in recent years anyway, buy 5-7 games or so a year these days.

Well you could argue that Fallout New Vegas reviews were pushed back until release and some still haven't been released but that is what a 80+ on Metacritic?

Every passing year I feel like Microsoft is just the SEGA of the new generation. 360 is it's Genesis and Kinect will be it's Sega CD.

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end for M$ (as a Console maker).

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Every passing year I feel like Microsoft is just the SEGA of the new generation. 360 is it's Genesis and Kinect will be it's Sega CD.

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end for M$ (as a Console maker).[/QUOTE]

How's it any different than Sony with Move?

[quote name='dmaul1114']How's it any different than Sony with Move?[/QUOTE]

How does that matter in the slightest?

My analogy is that M$ seems to be repeating the same mistakes SEGA did as it's time as a Console manufacturer. Let's not make this a Sony Vs M$ "who did it worst" contest. They both fucked up, M$ is just doing it worst (imo) and in a way that mirrors SEGA's own failures.

I'm not a fanboy in the slightest (all these companies suck) and don't mean to start a pissing match.

I was just curious how MS is fucking up with Kinect anymore than Sony with Move. Did MS spend a lot more on Kinect than Sony did Move or something? Just curious since you only mentioned MS.

I really don't see either add on being a Sega CD level failure as this won't involve moving major games over to a peripheral only a few people have etc. All the big, core genre games won't be Kinect/Move games. Just a way for them to try to cash in on some of the Wii market. I agree it's probably misguided as most people who want those casual games, motion controls etc. probably already have Wii by now. And a lot of that market probably won't buy a 2nd console.

Considering the Move reviews at launch (I think McNamara's own GI only gave one Move game above a ... 5.0?), I suspect Sony is probably wishing they had had an embargo of their own. It's not like terrible scores prevented at least somewhat-decent sales in Europe, anyway.

[quote name='J7.']Kinect is Microsoft’s biggest push for the Xbox gaming division to date. The Xbox division could sink or swim depending on the success of the device. However, in an unusual move the company has been hesitant to send out the device for review.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I think Kinect is going be total garbage; from what I've heard on various Podcasts and from Ars Technica, it does not work at all. However, I think it's a toss up of how well it's going to do. I can see it being very very bad for MS, and be a complete disaster. On the other hand, I can also see it being complete garbage, but still selling like gangbusters (casuals will see the TV commercials, they'll be completely sold, and go buy it for their kids).

But, my question is, is MS really going to sink or swim from this product?

I really don't think this product is going to make them totally get out of the business. I mean, they may not be able to pull another console out of their butt next year and sell it like mad, but I don't think they'll give up. There is just too much money to be made.

Now, I've seen a few people saying stuff about Move, and that it's no different from Kinect, and I have to disagree:

1) Move has gotten pretty good reviews across the board (even before it hit the market).

2) Move is currently sold out and backordered everywhere.

3) Move is completely optional for most games. All of the classic games (not engineered explicitly for Move) are going to have the motion controls be completely optional.

4) Move is proven technology with fairly decent games out now and/or coming out in the near future (Kinect has 1 game that people are excited for, but really isn't what they show it to be--Dance Central. It only tracks 2 people at a time, it's not really doing what they show it's doing).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jh6269'] Move is currently sold out and backordered everywhere.[/QUOTE]

yeah but thats because Sony is leaving everyone in short supply, not really because initial demand is so high.

Here's an idea, instead of spending money on crap (MS), how about you do the right thing and issue replacement controllers for all the fucked up D-Pads out there ! Just sayin, take care of the customers you HAVE instead of trying to fucking steal Nintendos...

DDD-

[quote name='diddy310']Err..where is Move sold out?[/QUOTE]

I looked on Amazon, GameStop, SonyRewards, SonyStyle... maybe it's not anymore, but it has been.

EDIT: Looks like everyone's back in stock now. But I've been checking every few days up until 2 or so days ago, and it was all sold out everywhere I looked.

bread's done
Back