MSG4 on 360?

[quote name='MisterHand']It'll happen, but it'll take several years (to allow time for PS3 owners to finish watching all the cutscenes).[/quote]

Hilarious.

~HotShotX

Exclusivity contract and technical limitations.

That's it. Those are the only two things even remotely preventing it from happening.

Sony has exclusive rights... but for how long? Could be 6 months, could be a year, could be multiple years. No one knows, and THAT'S the stumbling block. Sony isn't stupid, but neither is Konami. This one could really go either way.

Technical issues of porting FROM Blu-ray... easy. With all of this talk of 'chapters' I hear and installs, why would it be SO hard to just release it as a multi-disc game? The 360 already has them and, unless they decide to upcharge for it, it won't keep people from buying it. Period.

So, that's it. We're not going to hear ANYTHING until the exclusivity period ends, and then it's up to how much money Konami wants. If MGS4 underperforms, expect a port. If the 360 base is still bigger than the PS3 base, expect a port. If it garners multiple GOTY wins, expect a port.

It's all about the timing.

[quote name='SmokyPreacher']:cry: that one hurt....well excuse me for not having the income to go buy another $400 console on the basis I want to play one game. I was just asking if anyone thought it would come guess that makes me an asshole.[/quote]

you were asking for it. Shouldn't be a fan boy and bash other systems then. And no i dont think MGS4 is coming out for the xbox it's an exclusive for the ps3, future mgs games maybe, but dont get your hopes up.

Wow, thread really went a little longer then expected. I was just trying to make small talk shot the shit but people really took it to another level which is awesome. From what all your collective opinions there seems to be to be an argument on both sides, but seems that most seem to agree it will come out on the 360 although no one knows except Konami. As for it not being able to fit on a normal 360 DVD I personally have no problem with it being on a couple DVD's so what?

[quote name='KSHLove']you were asking for it. Shouldn't be a fan boy and bash other systems then. And no i dont think MGS4 is coming out for the xbox it's an exclusive for the ps3, future mgs games maybe, but dont get your hopes up.[/quote]

[quote name='SmokyPreacher']...but that game alone isn't enough for me to go drop another $400+ when there aren't nearly any other games I'm remotely interested and most of which are already on/coming to the 360.[/quote]

I stated my reason for not buying a PS3, granted perhaps I could have been a little more nice about it, but I also could have been much more of a dick. As a 360 owner I have no doubt the games that are PS3 exclusives are a lot of fun and very enjoyable but most of them I do not need, considering I already own a device that covers my needs pretty well. The way I go about purchasing a system is thus, if a console has at least 5 games I want to play I will most likely purchasing said system since I can justify it purchase. Sorry, I am not trying to be a PS3 "hater" or a 360 "fanboy" just trying to state my case.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']apparently MGS4 didnt sell that well in Europe, it wouldnt surprise me to see a 360 version within a year or so.[/quote]

I think you need to go read that article. It didn't say that MGS4 didn't sell well. It said that MGS4 didn't move as many consoles as people thought it would. The game outsold everything in Europe aside from MGS2 and is the second most successful game launch right behind GTA4 on that Triple.

[quote name='emdub']I think I'll just wait 15 years and then play it on an emulator.[/quote]
Haha I've thought about this before regarding last gen and this gen. It's fun to think about one day having current games be as available as ROMs are right now.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Haha I've thought about this before regarding last gen and this gen. It's fun to think about one day having current games be as available as ROMs are right now.[/QUOTE]

Well they wont be rom as they are disc image. But you do get iso.

Reading through this thread, in the boredom of waiting for VMWare to install a few OS's, reminds me of why Gamestop hires fanboys. Why? They know absolutely 0 about business.. or else, they would realize that they are losing more money in opportunity cost working in an environment rampant with passionate egotism for the dominance of their multi-billion dollar corporation over the other instead of working somewhere else in the mall with higher wages....

With that said, Konami.. from a BUSINESS PERSPECTIVE... would be showing some of the same Japanese stupidity (yeah.. I said stupidity.. not insulting the culture, but the expectations that competing as a multi-national business values corporate relationship loyalty as their local markets do) as Square-Enix merely limits total sales revenue and diminishes returns. These publishers/developers are traded on Japanese stock markets.. if you don't think each has a board of directors fussing about limiting market exposure by forcing exclusivity to a smaller install base.

If that's over your head.. ok, let's use the good ole model from the popular freeware game "Drug Wars" for the PC for example (see "early 90's mass-appealing freeware for dummies").

Little Johnny.. well he wants to sell crack and shrooms. Neighborhood A.. well, 10 people will buy the crack and shrooms. In Neighborhood B, 50 people will buy crack and shrooms. So what's Little Johnny to do? Well, he played Math Blaster in the computer lab way long time ago.. and he figures.. if he sells crack and shrooms in both neighborhoods.. why.. he's got a possible 60 customers to sell to!!!

So before any more douchebaggery occurs with console loyalists devaluing actual speculative discussion.. it's either common sense or a total lack thereof in the decision to accept the fact that third party console exclusives are a dead concept in this MULTI-BILLION dollar industry, or go to Gamestop and argue there in front of the $4.99 or less last gen bargain rack while some geezer buys a Mary Kate and Ashley Olson GBA game for $8.99 used (cart only) for their grandkid who worships Molly Cyrus.

Ooookkkk Skylander7 are you like a first or second year college student because that was exceedingly long winded and soapboxish for saying something as simple as "its unlikely the game will stay exclusive given the cost of development and how the industry has grown.". Fact remains still that games "do" remain console specific. Gears of War and Dead Rising are two examples. While these may come out on PC they never hit the other consoles which limits their install base. Secondly the console makers will pay good money to keep games exclusive in part making up for lost revenue by not porting the game over. Lastly there is expense in porting a game over so you have to judge the cost to benifit ratio of reworking the title to work on new hardware. So I'd argue system exclusives are "not" dead just more rare.

I bought a PS3 to play Metal-Gear (then returned it, but it wasn't my intention to do so when it was bought) and I'll just throw my hat in the ring for a second to state that I went in thinking this game would never run on a 360... but after playing see no reason why it couldn't be ported over. The sales are pretty steady right now but because of the genre and the limited install base I see it slowing down and Konami looking for another way to make money off a game they spent so much on.

Multiple discs aren't as bad as the multiple installs in this game... it's pretty much the same thing but it takes longer. The game doesn't utilize anything special that calls just for a PS3's touch, it's just a next generation console and I think the potential is pretty much tapped. Also, I wanted to keep it but the only use I saw from it was for movies and decided I could wait in the long run... I'd just have to wait a couple years for games to come out on it that I can't already play.

Right, console exclusives are no more this gen! Man i cant wait to play Gears of War on the PS3 and then load up Super Mario Galaxy 1080p from the Playstation store. Thanks guys, this is going to make it so easy this gen since there wont be anymore exclusives!

[quote name='SmokyPreacher']I know there hasn't been any official announcements, but do you yourself and eye think that MSG4 will ever come to 360? I think I read that they hinted at it but nothing more came of it. I would love to get it on da box because sorry ps3 owners/fanboys but that game alone isn't enough for me to go drop another $400+ when there aren't nearly any other games I'm remotely interested and most of which are already on/coming to the 360.[/QUOTE]

u forgot cheap blu-ray player

[quote name='blitz6speed']Right, console exclusives are no more this gen! Man i cant wait to play Gears of War on the PS3 and then load up Super Mario Galaxy 1080p from the Playstation store. Thanks guys, this is going to make it so easy this gen since there wont be anymore exclusives![/quote]

Ah, nothing like trying to troll by throwing out completely ridiculous points. See, you *could* have listed other third-party developed and published games, but that would've negated the entire point of your post, wouldn't it?

Let's try this:

Right, console exclusives are no more this gen! Man i cant wait to play Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 and then load up No More Heroes 1080p from the Playstation store. Thanks guys, this is going to make it so easy this gen since there wont be anymore exclusives!

... yeah, guess that really does take the bite out of it, huh? ;)

Well, a few points here
1) Good to see fanboydom alive and well here. A few good negative points are made, but most are, no it won't just buy a PS3 lol.

2) Very good point on ports not selling. But, I'm not sure Viewtiful Joe (not exactly a mainstream game like MGS) is the best example. I'd love to know how RE4 sold on PS2, how the Grand Theft Auto's sold on Xbox, how MGS2 sold on Xbox. Those might be the best indicators for this game (not sure there has been a big exclusive game that waited a year then came on this generation, Bioshock is doing it, but I'm assuming work has to begin now for the port).

3) I'd love to know how long the exclusivity deal is on MGS 4. I wonder why this isn't public knowledge. I'd also love to know the ballpark figure Sony paid for it to be on their system first.

I find it interesting, because you know that both Sony and MS would have opened the wallets to make GTA IV an exclusive. You know that Rockstar explored the possibility, and thought it was financially more sound to release on both. I just can't see how MGS is in that much different of a boat.

[quote name='uglyteradon']I bought a PS3 to play Metal-Gear (then returned it, but it wasn't my intention to do so when it was bought) and I'll just throw my hat in the ring for a second to state that I went in thinking this game would never run on a 360... but after playing see no reason why it couldn't be ported over.[/QUOTE]

When it comes to what you're actually looking at on-screen, there is very, very little that could not be duplicated from one console to the other. Even less of a gap than the PS2-to-XBox difference, which wasn't that big itself.

Is it confirmed that Sony paid Konami to keep MGS4 an exclusive?

Also, why does Gears of War keep coming into the equation? If you didn't know, Gears is published by Microsoft, meaning that Microsoft has jurisdiction as to which consoles the game will appear on. Konami, however, publishes MGS4, not Sony. So the analogy using Gears of war is fundamentally flawed.

Because Gears of War was developed by Epic games which is owned by Midway not Microsoft and is therefore a 3rd party developer even if they did agree to publish this particular game through Microsoft. So the argument isn't really all that flawed as Epic is in no way a 1st or even 2nd party developer for Microsoft.

[quote name='mykevermin']C'mon, dude. You're savvy. You know better than that.[/QUOTE]

But they quoted Reuters! REUTERS! ;)

And anyway, I figured the million units was probably a global figure, and one the game wouldn't have much trouble hitting, so it didn't sound outside the realm of possibility.

[quote name='KaneRobot']When it comes to what you're actually looking at on-screen, there is very, very little that could not be duplicated from one console to the other. Even less of a gap than the PS2-to-XBox difference, which wasn't that big itself.[/quote]

i thought the ps2->xbox difference was very noticeable in cross-platform games. but i'd definately agree that the ps3 and 360 are both extremely close visual-wise.

[quote name='PhoenixT']Ooookkkk Skylander7 are you like a first or second year college student because that was exceedingly long winded and soapboxish for saying something as simple as "its unlikely the game will stay exclusive given the cost of development and how the industry has grown.". Fact remains still that games "do" remain console specific. Gears of War and Dead Rising are two examples. While these may come out on PC they never hit the other consoles which limits their install base. Secondly the console makers will pay good money to keep games exclusive in part making up for lost revenue by not porting the game over. Lastly there is expense in porting a game over so you have to judge the cost to benifit ratio of reworking the title to work on new hardware. So I'd argue system exclusives are "not" dead just more rare.[/QUOTE]

Actually no.. I'm 28 years old an hour into an Ambien CR fog working on creating multiple VM's for deployment on a NAS. From a profitability standpoint, third party exclusivity is poor business strategy.

My post was more stemming from a discussion topic, posted in the Xbox 360 thread, and the general stupidity of opposing fanboyism detracting from the discussion. Hardware superiority arguing or trolling just to be a douche belongs in the vs. thread or PS3 thread.. personally, I do hope the game comes to 360 (as I do own it on PS3) due to the fact that Live is a better multiplayer platform and (if you look at simple hardware specs) could host an improvement in the game's textures.

I would have to say, that from a business standpoint, porting the game would be a risk.

There's the cost involved in splitting the game out (ensuring the content is all on the correct disk) as well as the actual porting of the game itself. Assuming that the game would come out a year from now, those that REALLY want it will have already found a way to play it so Konami will end up selling to people who are on the fence. This is the risk that Konami would have to weigh, is it worth the development costs to port it to possibly make a little money.

Honestly, IMO those who really want MGS4 have already gotten, or are picking up, a PS3 because the Sony brand is what people associate the series with. To port it to XBox without reissuing it (ala MGS2: Substance) would spill red ink even though there are "2 to 1" XBox 360s in the world (more like 3 to 2 and that gap is closing).

I'm not even going to go into the technical limitations because I don't know exactly what they are, but I'm sure this game is using quite a bit of the PS3s power.

I think it's going to be a long time before we see another MGS game on a Microsoft platform, so if you want to play the game you're better off buying a PS3 eventually or accepting the fact that it ain't coming to the 360.

[quote name='Skylander7']Reading through this thread, in the boredom of waiting for VMWare to install a few OS's, reminds me of why Gamestop hires fanboys. Why? [/QUOTE]

I think this thread needs more talk about VMWare, because frankly, I've been struggling with that mess at my job the last 2 weeks.

You know what's an even LESS likely port? MGS and MGS2 did eventually make it to the PC. I doubt this would make that great a PC port though, as those long cut scenes scream comfy couch and not computer desk.

[quote name='blitz6speed']LOL.

Do not hold your breathe. And for a lot of people out there, they dont want to buy a 360 to play 1 game (Gears of War 2) so dropping 349.99 for a 360 is out of the question!

[/quote]

Shouldn't that game be Halo 3? :roll:

My guess it will happen. The game somehow will eventually (1 yr from now?) come out for 360. Just look at Bioshock, it was 360 and PC exclusive and now it is coming out for the ps3.

There is too much $$$ involved so Konami is just waiting for a sweet deal $$$ from Microsoft and I can see this game being a 3 disc game (maybe like a Remix - Edit version of the ps3 game).

[quote name='lordxixor101']
I find it interesting, because you know that both Sony and MS would have opened the wallets to make GTA IV an exclusive. You know that Rockstar explored the possibility, and thought it was financially more sound to release on both. I just can't see how MGS is in that much different of a boat.[/quote]
Microsoft did open its wallet. Hell, it delivered a truck full of cash to Rockstar. Just wait and see how many people who picked up the PS3 version end up double-dipping.

[quote name='SpikeJonez']it would cost konami more money to port it then they would make from it.
takes alot of moeny to water stuff down.[/quote]

Water what down?

it wont happen...and why would you want to play an inferior version of the game? you guys talk about economics and crap like that so give me a reason why 360 is getting Star Ocean and Tales? 360 rpgs always bomb in sales, yet they still do it. In addition, all you CAGs that are saying " blah blah blah, 360 has a bigger fanbase than ps3" it may be true in here but not so in Europe and Japan. in the end you guys need to face it that 360 cant have all the games.

Is MGS even that great of a series? I don't see the appeal. I played the third one and thought it was dull. I'm asking out of ignorance more than anything else.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Is MGS even that great of a series? I don't see the appeal. I played the third one and thought it was dull. I'm asking out of ignorance more than anything else.[/quote]

I dunno, do you think it's a great series?

From playing MGS4, I'd say it could be a multi-disc game. You could probably each act on a DVD (I think the file sizes are like 4 GB's for each Act). That's only the technical standpoint as far as media storage goes.

[quote name='ninja dog']I dunno, do you think it's a great series?[/quote]

That has to be the most useless response I've ever gotten. I have no idea because I've never played any of them besides 3. They get a lot of buzz and I was curious as to why.:roll:

[quote name='SynGamer']It is possible, they have the technology, and the money...the only thing they'd need to do is lower the texture resolution a bit, and obviously compress the audio (5.1?).[/quote]
Let me start by saying that I am not a fanboy of any one system. I am a fan of good gaming. So this is an unbiased view. Well according to Hideo Kojima, they do not have the technology. So it does not matter about the install base either. This is how he put things in perspective. He compared the Xbox 360 to a DVD player and the PS3 to a movie theater.

Now he wasn't being condescending with the statement towards the Xbox 360. He was merely saying that to realize MGS4 he needed to do it on a system that could deliver such a cinematic experience. And to put it mildly, the Xbox 360 could not handle the content. It would have taken too many discs to make a full game, and it would have to be done in installments.

So until the 360 can come up with a blu-ray edition/addition, it will not see the light of day. Besides, IMO some things should stay exclusive. If you want MGS4, go and get a PS3. Trust me, it will be worth every penny of it, for that game alone.

[quote name='refusedchaos']it wont happen...and why would you want to play an inferior version of the game? you guys talk about economics and crap like that so give me a reason why 360 is getting Star Ocean and Tales? 360 rpgs always bomb in sales, yet they still do it. In addition, all you CAGs that are saying " blah blah blah, 360 has a bigger fanbase than ps3" it may be true in here but not so in Europe and Japan. in the end you guys need to face it that 360 cant have all the games.[/quote]
Excellent point. Let's face it, the PS3 is a superior system. And it won't be long before they turn the tide. Ok, yeah the 360 has a tremendous lead, but the PS3 is gaining ground fast. Now, if they can match the 360's online gaming, which IMO won't be done, then it wouldn't even be a need to discuss this issue. Like I said before in my previous post, I am not a fanboy of any one system. Simply because they all have something good to offer. So it all comes down to the games.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Is MGS even that great of a series? I don't see the appeal. I played the third one and thought it was dull. I'm asking out of ignorance more than anything else.[/quote]
Well a lot of people do seem to like MGS games.

Not me though. I find stealth games very boring. I even dislike it when stealth is in non stealth games, like Zelda Wind Waker.

i'am a fan of the series and what makes this series so popular is its innovation in game mechanics, system pushing graphics, cinematic appearence, smart computer AI, and most of all (well atlest to me) an amazingly well thought out story plot with twists and turns, good enough to become a best selling novel.

what turns off some from the series is that its not a fast run and gun fps or action game but rather a slower paced sealth game where you gotta think out your next move. Also the story can be too confusing to some which can cause a loss of interest.

[quote name='refusedchaos']1. and why would you want to play an inferior version of the game?

2. all you CAGs that are saying " blah blah blah, 360 has a bigger fanbase than ps3" it may be true in here but not so in Europe and Japan.[/quote]

1. Maybe some people would rather play an "inferior" version of the game on their 360 (in 3 or 4 discs) and not spend an additional $400 to buy a PS3. That's like saying: why would you play Half-Life 2 or F.E.A.R. on your ps3, when it is way better on a PC or 360. Yet some people bought these games for ps3 because they dont have $1k for a powerful pc or $350 for a 360.

2. Europe is still pretty even 50-50 between the ps3 and 360. Some games do sell better for the ps3 vs. 360. But it is still almost 50-50 with no clear cut winner yet.

2.1- Japan, well yeah, they hate the 360 we all know that :lol:

[quote name='ricoraney'] Let's face it, the PS3 is a superior system. [/quote]

Superior because it plays Blu-Ray movies? :applause:

Just add an external Blu-Ray player to a 360 and you have the same thing as a PS3. Maybe on specs the PS3 might be better than a 360 but overall on games and LIVE experience is not even close to a 360.

No one really cared about MGS3, hence no need for a port (not to mention it barely qualifies as a MGS game).

I'd say it's likely we'll have a port of MGS4 on some sort of system by the end of this decade. And even if we don't, it's really not worth owning a PS3 just for that one game.

If you're on the fence about getting a PS3 AND you're a huge MGS fan, don't even bother waiting, otherwise just forget the game even exists. There plenty of games on Wii / 360 that are just as good, if not better.

[quote name='ricoraney']Let me start by saying that I am not a fanboy of any one system. I am a fan of good gaming. So this is an unbiased view. Well according to Hideo Kojima, they do not have the technology. So it does not matter about the install base either. This is how he put things in perspective. He compared the Xbox 360 to a DVD player and the PS3 to a movie theater.

Now he wasn't being condescending with the statement towards the Xbox 360. He was merely saying that to realize MGS4 he needed to do it on a system that could deliver such a cinematic experience. And to put it mildly, the Xbox 360 could not handle the content. It would have taken too many discs to make a full game, and it would have to be done in installments.

So until the 360 can come up with a blu-ray edition/addition, it will not see the light of day. Besides, IMO some things should stay exclusive. If you want MGS4, go and get a PS3. Trust me, it will be worth every penny of it, for that game alone.[/QUOTE]

First of all, I don't think anyone is going to buy your "unbiased" opinion, when in the post immediately following this one you claim that everyone should "Face it, the PS3 is a superior system." Nearly every non-exclusive developer says that the systems are different but ultimately very close in performance power. For every Kojima who says the PS3 is better, there is an Itagaki who says the 360 is better.

All of that being said, one thing that needs to be remembered is that Sony paid for some kind of exclusivity window, because of this, Konami may not even be able to reveal plans about potential ports, because even the suggestion that a game may be ported could be in violation of their exclusivity agreement. For instance, Sony probably does not want Kojima coming out and saying "Everyone can buy the game for the PS3 now, or wait a year and get it for the 360", because that would not help Sony move PS3 units (not to mention the fact that it wouldn't help Konami move copies of the game right now). That doesn't mean that the game definitely will or won't be ported, but unless we are able to see the agreement, we have no clue what is actually going on behind the scenes.

I'm playing through the game on my PS3 now, but would love to see it ported to the 360 (or even PC), so that some friends who don't want to shell out an extra $400 could experience the game.

They should release it on the 360 as install mandatory so you don't actually have to swap discs while playing. That being said I prefer games on my PS3 because
A) My PS3 has not broken (twice)
B) I can't hear my PS3 over hurricane force winds outside my house
C) I use my PS3 as media streamer/blu-ray player so not having to switch between consoles is more convenient.

That being said, I could see a PC release, but not a 360 release. The PS3 is more like a PC because of the HD where a 360 is sort of old school because it lacks one. It would be FAR easier to port to a system using a HD.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']No one really cared about MGS3, hence no need for a port (not to mention it barely qualifies as a MGS game).

I'd say it's likely we'll have a port of MGS4 on some sort of system by the end of this decade. And even if we don't, it's really not worth owning a PS3 just for that one game.

If you're on the fence about getting a PS3 AND you're a huge MGS fan, don't even bother waiting, otherwise just forget the game even exists. There plenty of games on Wii / 360 that are just as good, if not better.[/quote]
No one cared about MGS3? It was the best MGS game and received high ratings from virtually everyone. :roll:

[quote name='Danil ACE']No one cared about MGS3? It was the best MGS game and received high ratings from virtually everyone. :roll:[/QUOTE]

this.

[quote name='seththefallen']They should release it on the 360 as install mandatory so you don't actually have to swap discs while playing. That being said I prefer games on my PS3 because
A) My PS3 has not broken (twice)
B) I can't hear my PS3 over hurricane force winds outside my house
C) I use my PS3 as media streamer/blu-ray player so not having to switch between consoles is more convenient.

That being said, I could see a PC release, but not a 360 release. The PS3 is more like a PC because of the HD where a 360 is sort of old school because it lacks one. It would be FAR easier to port to a system using a HD.[/quote]
Why would it even need an installation? From what I've seen of the PS3 version it has several chapters (with installs), it would be easy enough to put a chapter on each disk (or multiple chapters if they're small enough).

[quote name='-Never4ever-']No one really cared about MGS3, hence no need for a port (not to mention it barely qualifies as a MGS game).[/QUOTE]
Huh? MGS3 is an amazing game, and is very important to the story of MGS4. So how does it barely qualify as a MGS game?

bread's done
Back