MyBestBuy Unlocked Membership - Two Day Sale for $60 (save 50%) - Ends 3/11/14

dc delta90

CAGiversary!
Posted this in the Unlocked thread but thought it might deserve its own thread.

Two year membership for $60 instead of the regular $119.99. Don't have to buy anything else to get the deal. Today (Monday) and Tuesday only. In store only.

Just go into your local Best Buy, grab one of the Unlocked cards (they're blue, kind of look like an Xbox Live card), take it to the register and it will ring up for $60. Make sure you buy any new or preowned games you want on the same transaction and you'll get 20% off the new ones and 10% off the preowned immediately. Takes about one day for the membership details to load into the system. Will be able to use your discount online or in-store. Have to be a MyBestBuy Member before signing up for Unlocked. Can do that online or in the store as well. Just need a MyBestBuy member number so you can get your discounts going forward.

And if you haven't preordered Titanfall and are interested, might as well do that today as well. You'll get a $10 MyBestBuy cert for preordering and purchasing the first week. Get that about 15 days after you buy the game. And yes, you'll get 20% off the game as well for being Unlocked.

And yes, you can use your gift cards from the Xbox One trade-in deal being talked about here ($45 for select Xbox One games, ends Tuesday as well) to sign up for Unlocked.

Happy Titanfall everybody.

I've shit-talked this membership deal in the past as I thought $120 was a bit too much, but $60 is a bit more palatable.

Hmm. I'm gonna take the day to think about it. A shame that 20% doesn't extend to consoles as well.
It still forces you to spend money at one place in order to justify your "savings". I just don't think It's a great deal, but that's probably because I don't spend $60 on games to begin with.

I also can't shake the fact that they charged $15 for a year of 10% off used and a physical magazine.

Even at $60 it just feels like a ripoff and it's sole purpose is to suck you in and make you buy games exclusively from Best Buy.

This deal is honestly too good to pass up, especially with Titanfall out tomorrow. $60 for the membership, price match an XBox One COD: Ghosts for 30, retrade it in for 45, boom Titanfall for around $33 and tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
you just have to do the math.  I'm definitely gonna pick up watch dogs, destiny, the division, dying light, and probably infamous on day 1.  

I dont see any of those dropping below 50 on amazon for at least a few months, so i break even with those 5 games * 12 discount.  add in rewards certs and other discounts, and i should be good.  at least that's my thinking.  

if you can wait for the price to drop, it lets you pick the best store/price.  but then you miss out on the initial rush of the game.  choices ;)

This deal is honestly too good to pass up, especially with Titanfall out tomorrow. $60 for the membership, price match an XBox One COD: Ghosts for 30, then 20% off of that, retrade it in for 45, boom Titanfall for around $30.
I thought PM negated the 20% discount

My issue with this program as that somehow I have been dropped from it even though I was all straight with it last year and they said I would be good for a year.  I have wasted tons of emails and hours of calls to them to be told this has to go to the back office and they will get back to me ... guess what no one ever does so I call and get the same thing over and over again.

Meanwhile I am missing out on the 20% over and over and over again and missing out on the 10% trade in bonus as well (cost me at least $20-$30 in the last 2 months).  Very frustrating.  Hell I would go in and do the $60 deal tomorrow if I wasn't already supposed to be in the program.  I sure as heck wouldn't pay $120 for it though.

I thought PM negated the 20% discount
It is supposed but I have found that if they PM the item FIRST and then apply your RWZ (zap your card or put your # in) it works every time but you have to get the PM FIRST. Otherwise you will get the response of you can have one or the other not both.

The other thing I want to add to this (and I am a BBY associate) is that the $10 preorder certs are also still active.  If you preorder a new release (on the list of games allowed) you will get a $10 cert in a few weeks.  That essentially takes Titanfall or any new release to $37.99 when its all said and done.  

There's also a trade in promotion going on at the moment on select Xbox One games which brings the value up to $45 towards Titanfall.  Essentially making Titanfall cost a mere 3-4 dollars.. or you MAKING money once the cert is factored in.

irishsoccermbw, go on the BestBuy forums and PM one of the mods. I allowed my $30 Coupon for a 2 Year renewal to expire too but I asked nicely and they reissued it to me via email. Going to go after work and renew for two years at $30! :)

Only catch is I believe your membership still needs to be active and not expired. Its worth a shot. (I was shut down when I called 888 BESTBUY and also when I emailed support. Only sending a PM to a Mod on the forums I was able to get it reissued which is BS but Ill take it :) )
Wow you got pretty lucky there!

Went in today and got this.

My store in western NY did not have the cards anywhere to be found, they only ring them up at the register with a SKU code.

How do you know if your store does trade ins?

Thanks

Thanks OP, I bought Dark Souls II CE without any incentives but couldn't shake that feeling that I could've saved quite a lot of money if I had been GCU. Nearly would've paid itself with JUST that one purchase.

Think I'll definitely jump in on this later today/tomorrow.

How do you know if your store does trade ins?

Thanks
Check the best buy website and click on something like the find a store link. Each store will have info about trades if available and if they accept trades on items not bought at best buy.

Nice find, question about GCU, do they just add it to your My Best Buy program and just give them my phone number at checkout? Or is it a separate physical card? I tend to just give them my phone # on checkout and would like it if I didn't have to carry around any extra cards

Nice find, question about GCU, do they just add it to your My Best Buy program and just give them my phone number at checkout? Or is it a separate physical card? I tend to just give them my phone # on checkout and would like it if I didn't have to carry around any extra cards
Yeah.. it just adds to the reward zone (My Best Buy) account.

Awesome thanks, gonna head over after work :D

Side note, wonder if I could share my account with my brother if he just gave them my phone number...
I use my father's reward zone account exclusively, and have never had a problem. Just signed up for Gamers Club today, and tied the account to his reward zone as well.

Damn,
You guys are crazy if you pass this up. I've already saved over $120 since it started, and I don't even buy a lot of new games.
Hell, that isn't even counting my two preorders for Elder Scrolls Imperial Edition, which saved me $20 a piece.

I'm considering signing up for a second GCU on my wife's account.

WOW.  That was fast.  Just for the heck of it, logged into My Best Buy and it already acknowledges that I'm a GCU member.  Took 3 hours (maybe less).  :D

Edit: Just read the FAQ in the BB Trade In thread and didn't see it mentioned.  So we don't get any new member welcome coupons or anything, right?  I know GS gives you B2G1 coupon or something when you renew.  Nothing like that for new GCU members?

I just realized I still haven't received my $30 coupon yet. Gonna follow up with the BBY Forum Mods with that.

Either I can patiently wait for their response or just pay the $60.

Does this stack with a current GCU Member.  I got in for $30 awhile ago.

Can I get this to get another 2 years on top of what I have?

Or does it just reset to today.

WOW. That was fast. Just for the heck of it, logged into My Best Buy and it already acknowledges that I'm a GCU member. Took 3 hours (maybe less). :D

Edit: Just read the FAQ in the BB Trade In thread and didn't see it mentioned. So we don't get any new member welcome coupons or anything, right? I know GS gives you B2G1 coupon or something when you renew. Nothing like that for new GCU members?
I believe you get a welcome package with a b2g1 pre-owned and 50% off a strategy guide. I think they use to mail it to you but I think everything is emailed now.

So I would need to buy $300 in games over 2 years to break even.  I am tempted really but honestly I am trying to finish my backlog instead of buying more.  Well I have till tomorrow and I think this may not be the last time we see this sale.

So I would need to buy $300 in games over 2 years to break even. I am tempted really but honestly I am trying to finish my backlog instead of buying more. Well I have till tomorrow and I think this may not be the last time we see this sale.
that's just based on the 20% discount on $60 games. factor in $10 reward certificates for select pre-orders and the rewards zone points (600?, which = $20 more in certs, right?), and you get there sooner.

Not a fan of paying for discounts that I don't know whether I'll fully benefit from or not yet. That said, this is very tempting though. I know for certain I'll be pre-ordering Destiny, which is eligible for the $10 rewards Pre-Order and add in $12 off for the GCU discount.

Thanks for the heads up! I was going there to trade in some games and signed up while I was there. Figuring between Infamous, FFX/X-2, and Watch Dogs I'll be halfway to getting my money back in like 2 months.

Thanks for the heads up! I was going there to trade in some games and signed up while I was there. Figuring between Infamous, FFX/X-2, and Watch Dogs I'll be halfway to getting my money back in like 2 months.
Not to mention all the money people are gonna save on random games they buy. Not everything will be a release day purchase, but it is nice to get a 20% off on games like Nintendo first party and Blizzard games. Games that are hard for release day deals.

Ill be grabbing Diablo 3 expansion which will drop it to $32

Confirmed that it does stack with current GCU members. My expiration went from 2016 to 2018, makes me wonder if physical copies of games will even be a thing in 2018.

My best buy already sold out of cards so they had to spend 20 mins looking up the SKU for me. Associate said people were buying it like crazy... Count me in. Thanks OP.

I was actually glancing through "pre-owned" games the other day. It is just me or is a large number of them just new games marked with a pre-owned label? I bought a $5 copy of "Lost in Shadow" for the Wii that said it was pre-owned but it clearly looks like a factory-folded shrinkwrap.

that's just based on the 20% discount on $60 games. factor in $10 reward certificates for select pre-orders and the rewards zone points (600?, which = $20 more in certs, right?), and you get there sooner.
I was looking at reward zone bonuses earlier...I really wish Best Buy would put some kind of calculator on their site for this thing:

If I buy a $19.99 game on my Best Buy Credit Card here's how the points stack up:

19 points - Original Purchase

19 points - Reward Zone Gamers' Club Bonus

29 points - My Best Buy Credit Card Bonus (Original x 1.5)

5 points - Elite Plus 25% Bonus (Original x .25)

5 points - My Best Buy Credit Card Elite Plus Bonus (Original x .25)

Crazy how I get an Credit Card Bonus, an Elite Plus Bonus, and then apparently another bonus for using both the Credit Card AND being an Elite Plus member. It looks like I get 4 points per dollar spent, all things said and done. Kinda crazy.

so say if I sign up today how many new games can I buy for 20% off?

I was going to trade in Ryse for $45 toward titanfall

but the game new is only $40? is there a limit for the $45 trade in?

thanks

Okay two questions:

1) On the "Gamers Club Benefits" page I see: "SAVE 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon" and "BUY TWO, GET THE THIRD FREE on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon" are those mailed to me, e-mailed, or printed at the register?

2) Does the 20% off stack with coupon offers? I see a current coupon for 50% off a Wii U headset. Does my 20% come off before or after that coupon or not at all in combination with it?

If there were still gonna be coupons, I'd be all up in this. As it is, I just don't buy enough games (especially at the release day price) to justify the $60. The only things I've picked up in months at BB have been glitched prices - and even then, I sold them back off without opening them.

Okay two questions:

1) On the "Gamers Club Benefits" page I see: "SAVE 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon" and "BUY TWO, GET THE THIRD FREE on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon" are those mailed to me, e-mailed, or printed at the register?

2) Does the 20% off stack with coupon offers? I see a current coupon for 50% off a Wii U headset. Does my 20% come off before or after that coupon or not at all in combination with it?
It gets emailed, and no it doesn't stack with coupon offers.

Just left the store, $60 rang up with no issue. However when I traded in 2 X1 Ghosts the 100% bonus didn't go through at first so had to get that straightened out. Didn't bother trying to get the 10% extra today as I had other errands to do. But I am finally Unlocked! Thanks for the heads up OP!

as of right now, console/ accessories does not get 20% off, but you never know what the future holds. since several cag members had posted the idea of 20% off apply to console/accessories on their forum, and it is under review by their business market team as of right now.

20% off consoles is ludicrous.

Just for a One you would save $100.

Would be awesome, but as a business I couldn't see them ever doing that.

I could see small accessories up to and including controllers and the like though. Possibly only making it 10%

bread's done
Back