MyBestBuy Unlocked Membership - Two Day Sale for $60 (save 50%) - Ends 3/11/14

dc delta90

CAGiversary!
Posted this in the Unlocked thread but thought it might deserve its own thread.

Two year membership for $60 instead of the regular $119.99. Don't have to buy anything else to get the deal. Today (Monday) and Tuesday only. In store only.

Just go into your local Best Buy, grab one of the Unlocked cards (they're blue, kind of look like an Xbox Live card), take it to the register and it will ring up for $60. Make sure you buy any new or preowned games you want on the same transaction and you'll get 20% off the new ones and 10% off the preowned immediately. Takes about one day for the membership details to load into the system. Will be able to use your discount online or in-store. Have to be a MyBestBuy Member before signing up for Unlocked. Can do that online or in the store as well. Just need a MyBestBuy member number so you can get your discounts going forward.

And if you haven't preordered Titanfall and are interested, might as well do that today as well. You'll get a $10 MyBestBuy cert for preordering and purchasing the first week. Get that about 15 days after you buy the game. And yes, you'll get 20% off the game as well for being Unlocked.

And yes, you can use your gift cards from the Xbox One trade-in deal being talked about here ($45 for select Xbox One games, ends Tuesday as well) to sign up for Unlocked.

Happy Titanfall everybody.

Tempting, very tempting. I swore I'd never preorder anything from Best Buy again after a horrible experience with BD CE, but I could still get some use out of it. Hm..

Damn, was at BB earlier today and totally would have snagged this. Guess I'm gonna take a little walk back before midnight tonight...thanks OP for posting here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay two questions:

1) On the "Gamers Club Benefits" page I see: "SAVE 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon" and "BUY TWO, GET THE THIRD FREE on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon" are those mailed to me, e-mailed, or printed at the register?

2) Does the 20% off stack with coupon offers? I see a current coupon for 50% off a Wii U headset. Does my 20% come off before or after that coupon or not at all in combination with it?
To answer first question it is emailed within a few days and 2nd question yes they stack with coupons but not the headset cause the 20% off is games only and does not include hardware, accessories, strategy guides, or digital items

Jumped on it, thanks OP. Unfortunately Titanfall preorders are closed in store so I do miss out on the preorder GC but I'll get over that.
No they're not. I preordered in store in Seattle about half an hour ago. No issues. Unless you're on the East Coast or something, and the time is up there?

I'm in Cali so I didn't think there would be an issue but to call the San Jose store well run would be a well, overstatement to say the least. I figured I'd just preorder it for in store pickup at another store instead.

20% off consoles is ludicrous.

Just for a One you would save $100.

Would be awesome, but as a business I couldn't see them ever doing that.

I could see small accessories up to and including controllers and the like though. Possibly only making it 10%
yeah, but you have to remember the regular price for the membership is $120, and most likely will come with a limit, similar to the 3 game limit they current have.

Does hardware get 20% off?
No. And not all games get 20% off either. It doesnt work when you price match either.

You could do what I do and just not buy a game the minute it comes out and wait a bit and pay a lot less. Most games I buy once they get to the point where 20% isnt that big of a deal so I never spend a lot for games and non one needs to pay for the ability to get a discount. You have to spend a lot to earn that money back plus some.

In the end it isnt a good deal for customers and just something bestbuy does to earn money. They wouldnt do this at all if they didnt make money off gcu users.

Not to mention you have to buy what bb carries and they dont have a lot unless you just want mainstream games.

I just would never pay to get a discount when I can get a discount simply by waiting a bit, or get discounts other stores offer. Especially to where you're locked in to just them. But I guess most people dont consider things or look ahead and just jump at the big flashy thing dangled in front of them.

Looks like I'm going to Best Buy after work then. I missed BBY Unlocked but I wasn't willing to shell out $120 for it. Plus the whole trade-in promotion for Titanfall makes me take my trade and my Titanfall purchase back to Best Buy instead of Gamestop. Now I just need to find out if they are doing a midnight release for Titanfall and I'm set.

If i wasn't a employee of Best Buy i would get this. But i don't think this would stack with my Employee discount. 

No. And not all games get 20% off either. It doesnt work when you price match either.

It works on all new (non-used) games.

You could do what I do and just not buy a game the minute it comes out and wait a bit and pay a lot less. Most games I buy once they get to the point where 20% isnt that big of a deal so I never spend a lot for games and non one needs to pay for the ability to get a discount. You have to spend a lot to earn that money back plus some.

The discount still works on any new (non-used) game. It doesn't matter when you buy it. Buy a game 2 years after it is released and you'll still save 20%.

In the end it isnt a good deal for customers and just something bestbuy does to earn money. They wouldnt do this at all if they didnt make money off gcu users.

Not to mention you have to buy what bb carries and they dont have a lot unless you just want mainstream games.

Best Buy has a pretty good selection - plus it works for Bestbuy.com as well where you can find pretty much anything you want.

I just would never pay to get a discount when I can get a discount simply by waiting a bit, or get discounts other stores offer. Especially to where you're locked in to just them. But I guess most people dont consider things or look ahead and just jump at the big flashy thing dangled in front of them.

You easily make your money back off the initial $60 investment very quickly if you buy just a few games. Everything else after that is just additional savings and money in your pocket.

Best Buy has easily been the leader in offering good deals. Gamestop doesn't have much and Amazon just matches other retailer's prices (like Best Buy).
tumblr_lptp0wk3TW1qc9ljx.gif

$60 is an awesome deal, 20% off for two years is fantastic

I actually paid the $120 reluctantly about 10 days ago and the Best Buy I got it from priced match the deal and gave me back $60

Mission successful.

Had to track someone down, who then tracked someone down, who then found out the person I needed was missing, and proceeded to track down the next person in line, but it got done. She even asked if I was coming back for Titanfall tonight... ayup!

Prob with this logic is that when you wait to get cheap games you then have a near worthless game to trade in so there is not always much to gain by waiting. I buy a lot of older cheap games too but they end up in backlog where time doesn't erode their value much since they dont have any to begin with. Games I know I will play immediately I might buy at launch, play, then get solid trade value for as soon as I'm done with them....as I expect with Dark souls 2.

Also, what new games dont get 20% (other than digital)?

I already preordered titanfall and I'm picking up in store tomorrow. Any way to add the GCU card to the same transaction in store to get the 20% off?

I believe you get a welcome package with a b2g1 pre-owned and 50% off a strategy guide. I think they use to mail it to you but I think everything is emailed now.
Thanks! The GCU activated real quick and even applied when I just did my trade in. Schweeett! :)

Okay, I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna pass. I'd rather just wait it out for $20/$30 price drops and sales rather than buying things early.

I already preordered titanfall and I'm picking up in store tomorrow. Any way to add the GCU card to the same transaction in store to get the 20% off?
from best buy forum when this program first launced
Q: If I have already pre-ordered games, will the 20% off be applied to those orders?
A: This will depend on whether you placed these pre-orders in-store or through BestBuy.com

In-Store:
If you pre-ordered in-store, you will receive the 20% off benefit as long as you are an active Gamers Club Unlocked member when you pick up your pre-order. You will need to ensure your My Best Buy account is added to the purchase when the game is picked up.
BestBuy.com:
If you pre-ordered on BestBuy.com for either Store Pickup or shipping, we are not able to add this benefit to your existing order. You will need to either cancel and re-do your pre-order or return and repurchase the game once it is fulfilled to get the 20% off. To receive this benefit going forward, you will need to ensure that you are signed in to your BestBuy.com account when you place an order and have your My Best Buy account linked to your BestBuy.com account.

Well, that clears that up. Thanks, dreamer.

Like usual, folks who buy on the website can suck it. I have never understood the disconnect between Best Buy the brick and mortar store and BestBuy.com.

Wow, wish I had seen this before I went to BBY today.  Oh well, I'm going back there tomorrow anyway.  Going to use this to get GCU on a second account but did anyone manage to use this to extend an existing membership?

Why does everyone think you HAVE to buy brand new $60 games for it to be worth it? There are gonna be many sales and GCU will save you more on those and sometimes there are even those GCU only deals so honestly it's worth it to me and I'll be getting it tomorrow.

Wow, wish I had seen this before I went to BBY today. Oh well, I'm going back there tomorrow anyway. Going to use this to get GCU on a second account but did anyone manage to use this to extend an existing membership?
I'm afraid to attempt to extend my membership since it would probably add 2 years to the current wrong expiration date (Oct. 2015 instead of Oct. 2016). :wall:

I'm afraid to attempt to extend my membership since it would probably add 2 years to the current wrong expiration date (Oct. 2015 instead of Oct. 2016). :wall:
I'm probably just sticking with the second account because I honestly think I'm going to accidentally get myself banned. Nearly have already between the @gamer coupons/returns/sales/ces/vagaries of the program.

Why does everyone think you HAVE to buy brand new $60 games for it to be worth it? There are gonna be many sales and GCU will save you more on those and sometimes there are even those GCU only deals so honestly it's worth it to me and I'll be getting it tomorrow.
Because as someone that generally buys games at the $20 price point I'd have to buy seven games a year to just break even on this deal. Now I definitely buy seven games a year, but that's across multiple retailers.

Heck, I'm going to use this on Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition right off the bat, that's $20 right there off the $60 buy-in.

How often do you get good GCU coupons with their magazine? I'm trying to decide whether its worth it. I remember seeing things like $1 AC4 for wii u but with idk if things like that happen a lot.

Because as someone that generally buys games at the $20 price point I'd have to buy seven games a year to just break even on this deal. Now I definitely buy seven games a year, but that's across multiple retailers.
So you get BBY to match them instead and pay $16 for each of those $20 games (or get $25 games for $20), get extra towards trade ins and those seven games get you $5 back because you get extra points. What you're saying is that your current buying habits already make the program a wash at worst with minor adjustment while also opening up the possibility of further deals and savings.

How often do you get good GCU coupons with their magazine? I'm trying to decide whether its worth it. I remember seeing things like $1 AC4 for wii u but with idk if things like that happen a lot.

You won't get them. The magazine is coming to an end (next month I think) and you had to have been a member before the program change to continue getting the coupons.

Heck, I'm going to use this on Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition right off the bat, that's $20 right there off the $60 buy-in.
I was going to order that myself until I found out long time ago that after buying the game you then had to pay $15 a month every month which over just a year is $180 the first year alone on top of the cost of the game itself

Ouch, I wanted those coupons.

So you get BBY to match them instead and pay $16 for each of those $20 games (or get $25 games for $20), get extra towards trade ins and those seven games get you $5 back because you get extra points. What you're saying is that your current buying habits already make the program a wash at worst with minor adjustment while also opening up the possibility of further deals and savings.
I thought it didn't stack with price match?

Thank you so much for this information. I have a good feeling that I'll make my investment back within this year.

I was going to order that myself until I found out long time ago that after buying the game you then had to pay $15 a month every month which over just a year is $180 the first year alone on top of the cost of the game itself
Yeah, I get it.. I am, admittedly, a sucker for Elder Scrolls, though.

i get why someone might not think this is the deal for them.  What i dont get is people coming in here and trying to act like it's a terrible deal b/c they have some great insight....guess what...you dont.

I like to play a few of the newest games so i'm in on the conversation.  waiting 2 years just doesnt work for me, and some games hold their value for a long time anyway.  I like to sell these games back pretty quick so i can get in on the next conversation.  

I also like to buy super cheap old games that i keep (often ones i traded in at a profit earlier).  GCU is only gonna make that easier.

I used to buy on amazon for 60 new (free shipping, no tax) and try and sell them back before they hit 30, so i could keep the out of pocket cost down to 30 bucks a game.  with GCU, $48 new games + random $10 off pre order certs + standard points $ off certs?  i'll be paying $30 out of pocket if i keep the games, and possibly breaking even or making a few bucks if i sell them quickly.  

remind me, how is this a bad deal?

jfc some people.

Thanks OP and others for pointing this out...this deal has been off my radar as $120 was too much up front cost (even though i'd likely save that much).  at $60, it's a no brainer.  

since I flipped 2 copies of Ghosts to pay for GCU,  I really paid $51 for Unlocked and a $30 GC.  And I'll make back the $51 easy with a few preorders at $48:

-Destiny (with $10 cert)

-Arkham Knight ($10 cert)

-Mario Kart

-Smash Bros

plus all the other 20% off discounts I'll get....

I can't help but feel that if I were to buy this at $60 it some how means I support the $120 normal price for two years. I can only hope that no one purchases GCU at $120.

I can't help but feel that if I were to buy this at $60 it some how means I support the $120 normal price for two years. I can only hope that no one purchases GCU at $120.
I think they've been quietly doing various discounts on it to see where the hardcore gamers are buying in at. You know they're tracking all the signups, how much they paid, etc. and breaking the data down.

Okay I decided I'm going to sign up tomorrow morning. It'll probably take a good part of the year for me to break even, but having the extra discount for the next year makes it worth it imo.

bread's done
Back