NBA Live 09 or NBA 2k9: What's the CAG consensus?

I'm down for a league. Would like the Knicks if they were to come available, but as an alternative I'll take the Raptors.

Yo I want the Hornets lead by the true MVP of last season.

Oops someone already took them. I will take the Hawks then.

EDIT: (not intended to be a bash on the Hornets owner) We really need a new thread so it is easier to do this. Also, not to be a dick but can you really call a team when you dont actually have the game yet? I am really fine with having the Hawks but calling a team while waiting for the TRU sale seems kinda unfair to the people who already have it and want to call the same team. Just a thought. Just seems strange that you can say, "I call the Thunder.....have no idea when I will get the game."

Also, we might want to look at all of the Madden leagues that went on this year and learn from their mistakes. None of them worked well with a full league. Maybe we should decided how many teams we are going to have and keep it small?

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in for the league. I should have the game by Monday. I'll take the Cavs, I guess, although I'd love the Celtics if they became available. Also, I understand the argument that people who don't have the game yet shouldn't be able to call teams, so if we decide that, I'll name a team after I get the game.

[quote name='Matt Young']Hijacking? The OP asks if there will be a league/leagues forming. But another thread for our league would be good.[/quote]
He asks for opinions on which game people are getting so that he can get in on leagues that are forming early, not much about forming a league in this thread. You'd do better having a thread just for your league that would be easier to find than this thread and have control over the OP to better organize it.

"Dirty disc" problem keeps showing up on my nba live 09'. did i get a defective disc? i read somewhere to delete the nba live demo to fix it--i did that and it didnt get fixed. any ideas ? or is it time to take it back to gamestop and get 2K9 ( i hate the celtics)

After playing the full game, I'm going to stick with 2K9. Live is close, but 2K9 is the all-around winner this year.

[quote name='Darwin23']"Dirty disc" problem keeps showing up on my nba live 09'. did i get a defective disc? i read somewhere to delete the nba live demo to fix it--i did that and it didnt get fixed. any ideas ? or is it time to take it back to gamestop and get 2K9 ( i hate the celtics)[/quote]

Try to clear the cache on your 360 hard drive. There was a similar problem with NHL 09 and this fixed a lot of issues.

i thnk part of the problem in those madden and ncca leagues are partly bc the games take longer and some people didnt have the time. It is also bc some people just didnt care just a tht though.

[quote name='DT778']What's up with Live's mini scoreboard in the demo? Does the full game have an option to make it bigger or are SD TV owners fucked?[/quote]anyone?

[quote name='Immortal fWd']We had a complaint that we needed to make a new thread for our league, so we did, and then it gets merged right back into this one. What gives?[/quote]

I was wondering what was up with that myself.

At least change the thread title to match--creating a NBA2K9 League and comparing Live 09 with 2K9 are two different things.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']23? Where do you get that number? I count 17 on the list, add ivanctorres and that makes 18.[/quote]

When there was 2 threads it was 17 in the OP and 6 saying they wanted in after that. Now some of those replys on gone after the thread merger.

What the hell just happened?

Did the threads get merged and if so, god damn mod you want to screw it up and make it any more confusing?

I got 2K9 last night and got to play one game. I can't believe the depth of the controls, I did some of the tutorial stuff and felt completely overwhelmed. So far I like it a lot, although I can tell I am going to have to adjust some sliders. I can't shoot 71% every game and get torched by Kirk Hinrich. I am a Bulls fan...... I know that isn't possible :D.

On 2k9 is it possible to advance the ball to half court on a timeout towards the end of a game? I don't remember that in the manual and I can't figure out how.

Edit: It does do it if the CPU coach automatically calls timeout, but I can't do it if I call timeout myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
so I decided to go with 2k9 because that's where the CAG league will be and also a buddy of mine picked it up so I can't give up the opportunity to whip him in 2k9.

Apparently, you can't play friends in ranked games in 2K9.

Removal of Ranked Lobbies…

This year in thinking about how to handle ranked games and our Leaderboards we decided to make all Ranked games “blind”. Ranked games are meant to be highly competitive games in a tournament type setting. The point is to win to get to the top of the Leaderboard, period. If users can pick out there opponents that tournament setting is compromised. With blind Ranked matches people can’t find users who are less experienced and play them over and over again to move up the Leaderboard.

We anticipated the want for the community to be able to scout opponents and we encourage that, which is why we have a match list where you can view the player card of your opponent before joining a game with them. While these aren’t ranked games this is a setting for the hard core crowd that is looking for a particular experience. If you want a player who plays a certain way or is at a certain level of experience you can find that in the Player Match list. We provide more slider and gameplay options than we ever have before in creating matches so you can tailor your game exactly the way you want it.

I'm still getting the game, but this pisses me off greatly. I hate playing unranked games. I'm a stats nut.

Good God, NBA 2K9 is pissing me off. Specifically, the damn catch-up A.I. I am 1-2 against the CPU on pro with the Bulls. The Thunder came back and made up an 8 point deficit in 2 minutes, taking the lead by one, before I made a shot at the buzzer to beat them 71-70.Both the Heat and Hawks made up 6 point deficits and beat me, as I missed easy layups or they got blocks and steals on every possession.

I'm pretty sure NBA 2K8 had catch-up A.I. as well, but I was so disgusted by it's many flaws that I didn't care. This, however, is actually a good game and it's frustrating losing games not because of skill, but because of programming. This isn't NBA fucking Jam.

[quote name='Matt Young']Good God, NBA 2K9 is pissing me off. Specifically, the damn catch-up A.I. I am 1-2 against the CPU on pro with the Bulls. The Thunder came back and made up an 8 point deficit in 2 minutes, taking the lead by one, before I made a shot at the buzzer to beat them 71-70.Both the Heat and Hawks made up 6 point deficits and beat me, as I missed easy layups or they got blocks and steals on every possession.

I'm pretty sure NBA 2K8 had catch-up A.I. as well, but I was so disgusted by it's many flaws that I didn't care. This, however, is actually a good game and it's frustrating losing games not because of skill, but because of programming. This isn't NBA fucking Jam.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the first time I noticed it was today. I've mostly played against friends and such but today I thought I'd play a game versus the Washington D.C. Wizards! It went to two overtimes. At the end of intermission boom 3 pointer by Jamison. At the end of the first OT boom 3 by Jamison. We go to the second overtime and I get up 112 to 104 and here come the Wiz AGAIN, I really thought this game might go on forever. I ended up winning by 3 in the second overtime. I just thought it was a great game, so hopefully this doesn't happen as often because like you said this is a great game. Or atleast it is IMHO!

Just played 5-on-5 online game for the first time. Really fun if you can get in a game without lag. We should have a gamenight for 5-on-5.

I postedthis in the league thread, but for the rest of you:

Okay guys, I have the fix for all our problems. These sliders are courtesy of dshopmaker from the 2K Sports forums. He's PS3 only, so no downloads. We have to manually enter them on the 360, but it only takes a few minutes:

Difficulty - All Star or Superstar
Quarter Length - 6-8 Minues

User/Cpu

OFFENSE
Close Shot Success – 55 / 45
Mid Range Success – 50 / 50
3pt Success – 50 / 45
Layip Success – 45 / 45
Dunk Success – 50 / 45
Dunks in Traffic – 60 / 60
Screen Success – 50 / 50

DEFENSE
Steal Success – 50 / 50
Help Defense Strength – 60 / 45

ATTRIBUTES
Stealing – 50 / 50
Blocking – 30 / 30
Ball Handling – 50 / 50
Dunking Ability – 55 / 50
Off. Awareness – 60/ 45
Def. Awareness – 60 / 40
Off. Rebounding – 60 / 45
Def. Rebounding – 50 / 50
Clutch – 50 / 45
Speed – 50 / 50
Strength – 50 / 45
Stamina – 50 / 50
Durabilty – 50 / 50
Vertical – 50 / 50
Quickness – 55 / 45
Hustle – 60 / 40
Hands – 50 / 50
On-Ball Defense – 60 / 50
Injury Severity – 50 / 50

TENDENCIES
Take Close Shots – 50 / 35
Take Mid-Range Shots – 50 / 60
Take 3pt Shots – 50 / 40
Attack the Basket – 50 / 40
Finish Strong Inside – 55 / 45
Look For Post Players – 50 / 50
Use Triple Threat – 50 / 50
Use Fadeaways – 50 / 50
Use Hookshots – 35 / 35
Attempt Putbacks – 45 / 45
Throw Flashy Passes – 25 / 25
Commit Fouls – 50 / 55
Play Passing Lanes – 50 / 50
Go for On-Ball Steals – 45 / 45
Contest Shots – 70 / 55
Use Sizeup Moves – 60 / 50

I played 4 games- Lakers/Spurs twice, Bulls/Pacers, and Bulls/Cavs. After experimenting, these sliders work best for a sim game with realistic stats when you play 8 minute quarters on All-Star difficulty.

I was always averse to playing longer quarters (did 5 on every sports game) since I want to finish at least one season and stillplay all my other 360 games. But this works best in my opinion.

So try these sliders with 8 minute quarters on All-Star, and let me know if you agree that this is the best way to play the game.

i remember the catch up ai in 2k8. it would annoy the hell out of me so if i was losing by 2 and had the ball for the last possession, i would go for 3. i used the same strategy in online games which always seemed to be close in the last 2 or so minutes

anyway i got live - havent got a chance to play much but i noticed shots can get blocked frequently if your not careful, especially when your posting up. and you dont just get blocked by centers and forwards, you can get blocked by chris paul. also the online games, 5-on-5 anyway play really smoothly as in you dont really notice lag. its hard to do a 5-on-5 without someone quitting though

to clear up some information:

1: it is true the game comes with a generic oklahoma city team and uniform but there is a free download on the xbox live marketplace for the official thunder uniforms and such.

2: inside the game box is an insert with a code to register for nba live 365. in other words, if you buy the game new you do not have to pay money for live 365. i believe its 800 ms points to buy live 365 if you dont buy it new

I ran into my first punk ass tonight on 2K9.

I was beating this guy by 20+ points, and he fucking disconnects with 30 seconds left to go in the game, and I don't even get to move up in rank. Of course, before he disconnects he tries to get me to consent to quit. :roll: The saddest part is I had a nice alley-oop I wanted to save but couldn't when he quit. :bomb:

His name is DMAN494 if anyone else runs into him. I gave him an player review on his profile as a quitter.

Is anyone else running across an issue in 2K9 where the game is freezing on you after you finish a game in an association and try to navigate to the main menu? My 360 was just repaired from another lovely RRoD and locking up was the first sign of the coming apocalypse. I'm not having issues with any other game though, so I'm curious if anyone else has run across this.

I'm also fairly pissed that the CPU never subs any other players in no matter how long they play them. I even put their stamina slider down a lot and they still only play their starting 5 all game long. I've gone through every option I can find and can't find a fix for this highly annoying error. Between this and the freezing problem I'm starting to regret this game's purchase.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I ran into my first punk ass tonight on 2K9.

I was beating this guy by 20+ points, and he fucking disconnects with 30 seconds left to go in the game, and I don't even get to move up in rank. Of course, before he disconnects he tries to get me to consent to quit. :roll: The saddest part is I had a nice alley-oop I wanted to save but couldn't when he quit. :bomb:

His name is DMAN494 if anyone else runs into him. I gave him an player review on his profile as a quitter.[/quote]
Yeah, it happens. It's worse when rather than disconnecting, he resorts to doing annoying things. Intentionally fouling the whole 4th quarter. Calling full timeouts and letting the clock run the whole 60 seconds. In the 5-on-5 mode, there's ALWAYS people disconnecting. It's horrible. Since people are unaware there's a quit button when you press start, they turn off their 360 or go to the dashboard, which makes that timer pop up.

I've encountered some rank whores on 2k9, where they would look for high ranked players to get more points for that Team 2k thing and would quit right after all the loading before tip-off. Kinda annoying.

This is the main reason why I dont ever get into online sports games. I admit I was a madden online freak and got to be ranked 50th in the world back in 05 but since then I could never get back into any online sports games.

I see no appeal what so ever dealing with the jerks offs on the world in a video game. Rank whores, Cheesers, glitchers, disconnects, lag exploits...etc..etc..etc. fuck that shit you guys can have fun with finding 4 out of 20 games being actually enjoyable.

Honestly, I still cant belive in 2008 with all this tech we have they still cant find a way to combat these problems in a realistic manner. They need to start cranking down hard on these types of players and have a legit punishment for them. Even though I dont play online I do like the fact that 2k made the online ranked lobbies random to combat some of the rank whores. This cuts down greatly on the amount of cheating that goes on online.

[quote name='Soodmeg']This is the main reason why I dont ever get into online sports games. I admit I was a madden online freak and got to be ranked 50th in the world back in 05 but since then I could never get back into any online sports games.

I see no appeal what so ever dealing with the jerks offs on the world in a video game. Rank whores, Cheesers, glitchers, disconnects, lag exploits...etc..etc..etc. fuck that shit you guys can have fun with finding 4 out of 20 games being actually enjoyable.

Honestly, I still cant belive in 2008 with all this tech we have they still cant find a way to combat these problems in a realistic manner. They need to start cranking down hard on these types of players and have a legit punishment for them. Even though I dont play online I do like the fact that 2k made the online ranked lobbies random to combat some of the rank whores. This cuts down greatly on the amount of cheating that goes on online.[/quote]

One good thing is that I did get ranking points. For some reason it wasn't showing the other day, but it is now.

Both games are excellent, but boy does 2k ever have issues. It has framerate problems more often than not, and that's very annoying for a game that is relying on timing. Live has no such issues, and it's silky smooth.

[quote name='Matt Young']So, did anyone try the sliders?[/QUOTE]

No. I just finished Dead Space today so I'm going to try these out. I'm waiting til the regular season starts to start my franchise so no hurry here but I do intend on trying these out. We still have to play each other Matt.

I noticed the recent updates from the living rosters like the Iverson trade and Oden injury. Its pretty cool how it keeps up with real time. Did you guys get this too?

[quote name='Soodmeg']This is the main reason why I dont ever get into online sports games. I admit I was a madden online freak and got to be ranked 50th in the world back in 05 but since then I could never get back into any online sports games.

Honestly, I still cant belive in 2008 with all this tech we have they still cant find a way to combat these problems in a realistic manner. They need to start cranking down hard on these types of players and have a legit punishment for them. Even though I dont play online I do like the fact that 2k made the online ranked lobbies random to combat some of the rank whores. This cuts down greatly on the amount of cheating that goes on online.[/QUOTE]

When NBA2K5 was the current installment, I had gotten into the top 100 ranked players, but saw most everyone ahead of me was what you described: glitchers and cheesers. I really wish that in time, there could be some sort of moderation system where moderators would be put in observation mode over ranked gaming online. I know it couldn't be all games, but it would help lessen cheating knowing that random games would be observed while in ranked play, and if they caught you cheating/glitching, they can instantly take action against it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah that came out yesterday or Tuesday. Now will that affect my already in progress Association or not?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't affect seasons already in progress. Is that good news or bad news for you?

[quote name='gomer1andonly']When NBA2K5 was the current installment, I had gotten into the top 100 ranked players, but saw most everyone ahead of me was what you described: glitchers and cheesers. I really wish that in time, there could be some sort of moderation system where moderators would be put in observation mode over ranked gaming online. I know it couldn't be all games, but it would help lessen cheating knowing that random games would be observed while in ranked play, and if they caught you cheating/glitching, they can instantly take action against it.[/QUOTE]

I can't really help you against cheaters there but wow... top 100? Are you still playing in ranked in 2k9? Did you join The Other Season competition going on? You can win some pretty decent prizes.

bread's done
Back