Neo Geo Mini Amazon Order is Live

Yuuup, going to hope these things go on sale or clearance because looking at that total price is stopping me dead in my tracks.

True. I'm hold onto my order for the time being. Most likely going to cancel though. The bundle is the exact same price as the items separately.

This always looked cool enough, as I like the form factor, but I just don't see a need for this personally. I would for sure grab one at a cheaper price, but as it is, I would rather put the funds to a mini raspberry pi cab and call it a day. The game selection is of course the worst part of this, but depending on modding, that may be an easy fix. I've always liked the NeoGeo and what it was about, but this isn't a must have, but still kind of cool for going old school.

I’m curious to see how easy it will be to mod. The snes and nes were way too easy, this looks to be a bit tougher
The system board has JTAG points available, japanese guys got console access but afaik nobody was able to figure out the root password to get in

thanks! was able to pre-order just now. got the one w the 2 controllers. honestly i never liked those controllers when i had them w my NeoGeo CD but it's better than nothing!

Got the Japanese one last week and love it. My 5 year old really likes it too. Glad to finally be able to get some controllers soon!

http://a.co/d/eCo5GzF

$4.19, exclusively for Prime Members. Might want to grab one of these, as the official one isn't available for purchase yet, and who knows how much it's going to retail for. For $110 you'd think this would have at least come with all the necessary cables and what not. Now to find a cheap 3.5", 4:3 screen protector for the unit itself...

i dont think they ever marketed portability, their just a different version like nintendo mini, i have a problem with paying that much especially when i have all those games multiple times on different systems, well hopefully they come out with a second round that bundles at least one controller
Yeah, their marketing wasn't really for a portable console, just a NES/SNES Classic type thing. However, they included the screen and the "play off TV" options are limited (and some say poor implementations). They should have left off the screen to reduce the price, included a controller instead of putting controls on the console and it would have been much more attractive. Or since they included the screen, they should have either included a battery or slots for batteries. It would have been cool to be portable. It's like they can't figure out exactly what they want it to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, their marketing wasn't really for a portable console, just a NES/SNES Classic type thing. However, they included the screen and the "play off TV" options are limited (and some say poor implementations). They should have left off the screen to reduce the price, included a controller instead of putting controls on the console and it would have been much more attractive. Or since they included the screen, they should have either included a battery or slots for batteries. It would have been cool to be portable. It's like they can't figure out exactly what they want it to be.
Same problem they had with the NeoGeo X, which tried to be a handheld and home console at the same time similar to the Switch.

The NeoGeo Mini is cool looking as a mini version of an arcade cabinet, but I agree it would be a no question purchase for me without the screen and at least one controller at a $60-$80 price tag. For this price though and with this line-up of games, I am going to hold out and see if I can get one cheaper later. I'll get my NeoGeo fix with the upcoming SNK collection on Switch.

Same problem they had with the NeoGeo X, which tried to be a handheld and home console at the same time similar to the Switch.

The NeoGeo Mini is cool looking as a mini version of an arcade cabinet, but I agree it would be a no question purchase for me without the screen and at least one controller at a $60-$80 price tag. For this price though and with this line-up of games, I am going to hold out and see if I can get one cheaper later. I'll get my NeoGeo fix with the upcoming SNK collection on Switch.
It may have been mentioned before, but it doesn't look like the SNK Collection has any of the NeoGeo games that come with the mini.

http://a.co/d/eCo5GzF

$4.19, exclusively for Prime Members. Might want to grab one of these, as the official one isn't available for purchase yet, and who knows how much it's going to retail for. For $110 you'd think this would have at least come with all the necessary cables and what not. Now to find a cheap 3.5", 4:3 screen protector for the unit itself...
They probably didn't want people to immediately connect to a tv and realize how badly they fucked up

It may have been mentioned before, but it doesn't look like the SNK Collection has any of the NeoGeo games that come with the mini.
That may be a good thing since the Mini is mostly fighters and Metal Slug games, which are certainly some of SNKs best games, but there is a lack of variety for sure.

I preordered too, just in case, but I'm 99% sure I won't keep it. It doesn't have most of the games I'd want on it (the SNK collection doesn't either).

That may be a good thing since the Mini is mostly fighters and Metal Slug games, which are certainly some of SNKs best games, but there is a lack of variety for sure.
Yeah, this was pretty annoying. While it's nice having basically every KOF, and Metal Slug on these, the lack of variety of other classics, is a bit baffling. The most annoying thing about this, for me anyway, is that there is only one World Heroes game present. As I've owned the SNES version of the original as a kid in the 90's, I was really hoping to see more versions of the series included here. Really disappointing.

It fails at practically everything. It's not a good portable because it doesn't have a battery. It's not a good handheld because it's shaped like a crappy mini-arcade and has a dumb mini-joystick. It fails as a tv system because the controllers are too much and the upscaler is bad. Then there are two versions with different games so the completionist in me feels like I should buy two if I'm going to buy into this... I'm waiting for this to be on clearance for $50.

It fails at practically everything. It's not a good portable because it doesn't have a battery. It's not a good handheld because it's shaped like a crappy mini-arcade and has a dumb mini-joystick. It fails as a tv system because the controllers are too much and the upscaler is bad. Then there are two versions with different games so the completionist in me feels like I should buy two if I'm going to buy into this... I'm waiting for this to be on clearance for $50.
You could also just not buy one at all, like I and other sensible consumers are doing. No need to give them money for something so awful.

has anyone modded this thing?

edit for pete's sake it's almost like you people are just trying to get me to not buy this thing at all.  I have a switch, which basically does the same thing, I'll buy a few games on the switch like pulstar, wind jammers, and cancel my pre order.  but that thing looks pretty sweet(the neo mini)

has anyone modded this thing?

edit for pete's sake it's almost like you people are just trying to get me to not buy this thing at all. I have a switch, which basically does the same thing, I'll buy a few games on the switch like pulstar, wind jammers, and cancel my pre order. but that thing looks pretty sweet(the neo mini)
I don't think anyone has added games yet, but there is a guy with a youtube channel that modded the JP version with a battery pack, wireless charging, and last I looked (probably a month or more ago) he was trying to figure out a way to do a lit marque.

IMO, this is a perfect system to just set on the breakfast bar, end table, or kitchen table. It's a nice display piece that is also quite functional (even has saves). I think the price is pretty solid for what it is and if you can see where it would fit in your life and like the game list then don't get dissuaded by others. This is easily the best of these little micro arcade machines. Most don't save and have shitty controls and suck batteries dry pretty quick. Most of them also use NES roms for games rather than full arcade games (some have arcade games, but it's not common). This you can plug in and let it sit there in demo mode on whatever game you like while you are doing something else.

This reminds me of the NES Classic. So much negativity about it, but man I love the NES (and SNES) Classic. I have a retropi with a nice arcade controller I built for 2 player. I've had fun with it, but it's a chore to setup and I have stagnated building a table top cab for it so it's more of an all-in-one. But the NES classic is nearly an instant on system with a very short shutdown sequence, no input lag, and fewer cables to connect to get running. It's perfect for what it is and is a much better way to play NES games (especially since I got an extra controller). I am glad the switch is getting so much NES stuff (especially Solomon's Key!)... but it won't replace my NES classic since the game list is quite limited.

If you want one, get it. If you'd rather mimic the setup using your switch ... that's cool too. Switch is a better way to play the games on TV but the NG Mini is probably something that would attract non-gamers since it's just there to be seen as a very functional display item.

I don't think anyone has added games yet, but there is a guy with a youtube channel that modded the JP version with a battery pack, wireless charging, and last I looked (probably a month or more ago) he was trying to figure out a way to do a lit marque.

IMO, this is a perfect system to just set on the breakfast bar, end table, or kitchen table. It's a nice display piece that is also quite functional (even has saves). I think the price is pretty solid for what it is and if you can see where it would fit in your life and like the game list then don't get dissuaded by others. This is easily the best of these little micro arcade machines. Most don't save and have shitty controls and suck batteries dry pretty quick. Most of them also use NES roms for games rather than full arcade games (some have arcade games, but it's not common). This you can plug in and let it sit there in demo mode on whatever game you like while you are doing something else.

This reminds me of the NES Classic. So much negativity about it, but man I love the NES (and SNES) Classic. I have a retropi with a nice arcade controller I built for 2 player. I've had fun with it, but it's a chore to setup and I have stagnated building a table top cab for it so it's more of an all-in-one. But the NES classic is nearly an instant on system with a very short shutdown sequence, no input lag, and fewer cables to connect to get running. It's perfect for what it is and is a much better way to play NES games (especially since I got an extra controller). I am glad the switch is getting so much NES stuff (especially Solomon's Key!)... but it won't replace my NES classic since the game list is quite limited.

If you want one, get it. If you'd rather mimic the setup using your switch ... that's cool too. Switch is a better way to play the games on TV but the NG Mini is probably something that would attract non-gamers since it's just there to be seen as a very functional display item.
The NES Classic only received negative comments due to the supply issues and absurdly short controller cords. I agree that the NeoGeo Mini looks cool and would be neat to have, but for the price, it's just too much for me. I'd get one for $60 or less no question though. I just know it would mostly be a Game Room novelty item for me.

You mean this? It looks like a Leap Frog toy. I wouldn't put this on my counter, especially not at $110.

61FxLl9J0HL._AC_.jpg

You mean this? It looks like a Leap Frog toy. I wouldn't put this on my counter, especially not at $110.
I think people (including myself) would like the look of it more if it mimicked the red four slot cabs. That's where my nostalgia is triggered. It would be interesting to mod the case to sort of give it that red cab theme. Still, I think once it's running and those familiar Metal Slug sounds are emanating as the thing is running in demo mode what it looks like will matter less and less.

yeah, I wish they had just gone full on bar top arcade machine
My main problem with a bartop is just the space required. Most of the kits I've seen are too deep to sit on my breakfast bar and eat a lot of space. I was going to build my own that would work but just lost motivation as I'm finding I don't really care to go back and play arcade games as much as I thought I would. That's the main reason I'm not getting the NG Mini.

Kotaku confirmed that the international release has the same blurry filtering on the video out
Why the hell wouldn't they check for this, before shipping this thing out the door? This isn't AtGames. I'd think we'd expect more out of a respected company like SNK. Does it really look that bad on screen? My current HDTV is an old 32" Insignia (Best Buy brand).

The mini 4:3 screen is supposedly arcade perfect. The videos I’ve seen don’t look bad but I don’t have it in front of me yet to judge. But I may not even bother getting the hdmi mini cable.

I’d say the snes classic is arguably a better system because it was so easy to mod

And the YouTuber who is modding the neo mini is user eta Prime, I liked and subscribed to his channel

The mini 4:3 screen is supposedly arcade perfect. The videos I’ve seen don’t look bad but I don’t have it in front of me yet to judge. But I may not even bother getting the hdmi mini cable.

I’d say the snes classic is arguably a better system because it was so easy to mod

And the YouTuber who is modding the neo mini is user eta Prime, I liked and subscribed to his channel
Yeah, I've been subbed to him for a few months. He's the one who installed the battery pack into his Neo Geo Mini. I'm all for others modding their consoles, but two things for me. 1. I'm clueless on how to hack/mod electronics, and 2. Even if I did know how to do so, personally, I believe in preserving electronics in their original, factory state. It's an OCD thing, but that's just how I am. I'd try building a Raspberry Pi, though.

But did you comment?

I've had this preordered since the option became available, and I'm still excited for it. I'll be even more excited when someone figures out how to hack them. People who are bagging on the aesthetic design are silly, though I agree the Japanese version is much prettier.

I learned my lesson with the SNES mini. Why did I buy a system I can emulate all the games for? Stupid collecting fad. 

It's a nice novelty, but they should've gone the extra mile
I agree. I think the Mini looks cool as hell and I really like the controllers, minus the positioning of the start and select buttons. But the price is way too high for this thing especially when you have to spend additional money on accessories that weren't included. I would have much rather had something that looked like a NeoGeo MVS or something that plugged into the TV and included a controller or two, more in line with the Nintendo Classic Editions or the AT Games stuff (hopefully better quality). I feel that the screen and overall design of this are what makes it so expensive and thus unappealing to me. That being said I hope these fail miserably and drop quickly in price I'd love one for around $60.

bread's done
Back