Netflix ps3

pun123

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
If you have Netflix and PS3 you got to order a disc. Got mine today and I have to say that I'm impressed with the quality and stream through wifi. For only 8.99 a month you get unlimited movies, absolutely great deal love it on my 52" rather than my computer. Some people are complaining about that you have to have the dvd in but one nice thing is that it is easy parental supervision control for someone with kids, just take it out. I called and they said next year they will have it in the XMB and hopefully a rating system too.

I got my disk too, I haven't tried it yet. I have it hooked up through my Xbox already, now I can stream to my bedroom too. PS3 built in WiFi FTW...

I dont like how the movies look. Im so use to BLU-RAY movies and HDTV channels that when I look at regular TV I have to turn it off. The movies that I looked at on the PS3 are very blotchy the larger the screen size I put them on. I looked at new and old movies and they both look the same. If I had to pay extra for this service I would be mad. I jumped on Netflix the first day you could sign up for the disc and received it early last week and used it on the first day and havent used it since. The only thing I like about is the on screen setup.

I got mine, its not bad. I like it better on the 360 but its nice to get away from my friends list when i am trying to watch something.

Its nice having, but I like the 360 interface much more. But since I dont have the wireless adaptor for the 360 its nice to move to different tvs.

GOt my disc today.

I am impressed. I have the 360 Streaming on my 360. But the 360 Network adapter did not work well for the Netflix. It kept stopping and playing and kept doing it. So I had to hardwire the 360 for online. Which I HATE.

I thought the same thing would happen with the streaming for the PS3 since its just 1 shelf above the 360. Well was I wrong. It streams GREAT wirelessly. Couldnt be happier.

The screen setups are extremely similar. If you are boing to complain about that then you are TOO PICKY. Can you watch the movie on the 360. YES. Can you watch it on the PS3. YES. The interface doesnt effect how the movie is watched.

[quote name='bones56']I got mine, its not bad. I like it better on the 360 but its nice to get away from my friends list when i am trying to watch something.[/QUOTE]

No kidding, the 360 gets irritating sometimes that everybody has to know what your doing all the time. Ive noticed the quality seems to depend on the movie and your bandwidth. It looks as if it adjusts quality according to BW, but so far the picture has been DVD or better for all of my pics so far.

[quote name='duddiesdaddy'] Im so use to BLU-RAY movies and HDTV channels that when I look at regular TV I have to turn it off. [/QUOTE]

Really? You wouldn't watching something because it's only on "regular TV?"

[quote name='duddiesdaddy']I dont like how the movies look.[/QUOTE]

This varies from movie-to-movie with Netflix. Anything Netflix got from Starz looks terrible (there are too many of these). But somethings like Lost episodes look amazing (if you have the bandwidth). 3Mbps definitely does not cut it. 6Mbps might, but I know 12Mbps does.

I have it have havve watched about 7 eps of Brotherhood series in HD. Not Blu-Ray, but great to check out older shows, and even some newer releases. For me,it's a great perk, eventhough I'll always prefer BD or HD broadcasts (eventhough none are in 1080p). I've also not experienced any blotchiness or pixelation, but obviously I've not watched everything. I'd give it a shot.

I wish someone would design cool cover art (heck even incorporating the stuff on the actual mailer) so I can slip it into an empty PS3 case when not in use, looks like we gotta use it for at least a year...I would suggest it at The Cover Project, but would probably get laughed out of there.

I loaded it up last night for the first time. Was pretty impressed. It like the layout better than on the 360, the never ending trail of covers on the x360 can make one dizzy!

EDIT: and there is one! man am I lazy to check before I post: http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=10288

[quote name='token2k6']I wish someone would design cool cover art (heck even incorporating the stuff on the actual mailer) so I can slip it into an empty PS3 case when not in use, looks like we gotta use it for at least a year...I would suggest it at The Cover Project, but would probably get laughed out of there.

I loaded it up last night for the first time. Was pretty impressed. It like the layout better than on the 360, the never ending trail of covers on the x360 can make one dizzy!

EDIT: and there is one! man am I lazy to check before I post: http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=10288[/QUOTE]

Thats funny I was thinking the same thing, tried to fold mine nice and neat into a cd holder but definitely printing that one is nice, thnx.

LOTS of great classics on here, epsecially from the 20's-70's. Also a surprising amount of foreign films, I have about 130 movies in my instant queue. I'm pretty happy with it on PS3, works better than I thought. The quality doesn't match Blu-ray, but I'm not going to snob out on seeing good films because the quality isn't the same.

As excited as I was when I first heard that Netflix was coming to PS3, once I actually tried it out for myself, my reaction was blah!

While it's nice to have the option to stream Netflix through PS3, it's not enough to justify paying for an account (which I was going to do- 1 disc at a time with blu-ray for $10.99 a month). Thank goodness my brother has an account with Netflix, but doesn't have a PS3. I ordered the disc through his account, and can use it to watch unlimited movies. Other than checking it out for 10 or 15 minutes to make sure it works, I've yet to watch an entire movie.

Now when PS3 adds a system update in 2010 that no longer requires you to have the disc to access Netflix, I'm hoping they also add a streaming only plan for $5.99 a month. I would consider that (even watching 4-5 movies a month would justify the cost).

[quote name='token2k6']I wish someone would design cool cover art (heck even incorporating the stuff on the actual mailer) so I can slip it into an empty PS3 case when not in use, looks like we gotta use it for at least a year...I would suggest it at The Cover Project, but would probably get laughed out of there.

EDIT: and there is one! man am I lazy to check before I post: http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=10288[/QUOTE]

HOLY CRAP!!! That looks way better than the one I was working on. This one looks to fit a ps3 case, I was working on the slim bluray case. I don't have a spare ps3 case but I do have the play beyond slim case.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']As excited as I was when I first heard that Netflix was coming to PS3, once I actually tried it out for myself, my reaction was blah!

While it's nice to have the option to stream Netflix through PS3, it's not enough to justify paying for an account (which I was going to do- 1 disc at a time with blu-ray for $10.99 a month). Thank goodness my brother has an account with Netflix, but doesn't have a PS3. I ordered the disc through his account, and can use it to watch unlimited movies. Other than checking it out for 10 or 15 minutes to make sure it works, I've yet to watch an entire movie.

Now when PS3 adds a system update in 2010 that no longer requires you to have the disc to access Netflix, I'm hoping they also add a streaming only plan for $5.99 a month. I would consider that (even watching 4-5 movies a month would justify the cost).[/QUOTE]

They wouldn't as the online viewing is offered thru netflix. They just allow 3rd parties like Microsoft, Sony, whomever makes Tivo, etc to also access their streaming.

Sony has no say in the pricing its all up to netflix.

Also seriously if $8.99 a month is too much for the amount they have for streaming go mow a yard once a month.

Even at 10.99 for the one disc out (blu ray) and whats available instantly its a good bargain, how much would you pay to rent a blu at a video store? Many places would cost more to rent two blu's in a month than 10.99; plus you get all the instant stream stuff as a bonus.

I got my disk in yesterday and it's working great so far. I streamed The Big Lebowski Friday night through my TiVo, and the movie stopped several times to re-cache - was very annoying. I have no such problems using the PS3. I've watched 5-6 episodes of 30 Rock, they all look great & no stopping at all.

[quote name='blissskr']Even at 10.99 for the one disc out (blu ray) and whats available instantly its a good bargain, how much would you pay to rent a blu at a video store? Many places would cost more to rent two blu's in a month than 10.99; plus you get all the instant stream stuff as a bonus.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it's the best deal out there in regards to renting/streaming movies. However, it's just not as significant as I expected it to be. Netflix was always mentioned as the "one thing" that Xbox Live had over PSN. Xbox owners talked that fact up like it was the most significant part of their paying $50 a year for Xbox Live.

I guess ultimately, time I spend streaming a 1980's B movie, or a 2000's direct to DVD Horror film through PS3 is time I spend away from COD MW2, RB Beatles, or some other PS3 game in my backlog. Even now I have little or no time to play my huge backlog, and Netflix is just another "diversion" I can do without.

It says a lot that I don't even want to use Netflix for free (my brother's account). Thanks but no thanks.

[quote name='Brian9824']They wouldn't as the online viewing is offered thru netflix. [/QUOTE]

That's what I actually meant. That PSN updates itself to include the option to stream Netflix without requiring a disc to do so. Then in turn Netflix offers a streaming only plan (which has been rumored for a while now- by 2010 they should have one in place) for $4.99 or $5.99 a month.

A streaming only plan isn't really a priority for netflix - they are mainly a rental center. Now if Hulu goes to a pay site or includes pay plans and adds in ps3 and xbox 360 support then it would get intresting.

Blueray anyday of my life. I agree that normal HD doesn't cut, ONCE YOU GO BLUE RAY YOU NEVER COME BACK.
p.gif

I couldn't agree more. And that's coming from a one-time skeptic. My initial thought was that Blu-ray was only introduced as a way to get people to keep buying the same movies over and over again (like I'll do with the LOTR Trilogy once it's released). I also felt the other reason for it was to eliminate piracy (it's much quicker to download a DVD quality rip of a movie than it is a Blu-ray quality rip).

Having said that though, I've gotten to the point where it's tough for me to watch anything less than Blu-ray quality. Truthfully, any movie you watch on Blu-ray for the first time (even movies you've seen hundreds of times before- I had this experience with the original version of Halloween) is liking watching it for the very first time ever.

I noticed details I'd never seen before, which is something all of us experienced the first time we watched movies on DVD. Now that prices are finally coming down ($20-$25 for new releases versus $30-$35), I think Blu-ray may once and for all displace DVD entirely (though it'll still take 4-5 years for it to happen).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm slowly getting into blu ray...I was sold when I bought The Dark Knight last year and saw it in HD...amazing stuff. It took me a year to get other stuff on blu ray (I got the Godfather blu ray collection, looks excellent) but I think I'll start saving money and devoting more time getting stuff on blu ray rather than DVD.

As far as Netflix on PS3 goes, it's nice to have if you have an account and it's free to boot. I prefer it on Xbox though because it feels more accessible, but that's usually the case with everything you can get on both systems.

[quote name='br26']I prefer it on Xbox though because it feels more accessible, but that's usually the case with everything you can get on both systems.[/QUOTE]

or maybe you're just clouded by your own personal biases and reservations.

i just prefer it on the 360, that's all. i have both systems and I'm fine with the PS3 so I'm not about to go on an anti-sony rant.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I couldn't agree more. And that's coming from a one-time skeptic. My initial thought was that Blu-ray was only introduced as a way to get people to keep buying the same movies over and over again (like I'll do with the LOTR Trilogy once it's released). I also felt the other reason for it was to eliminate piracy (it's much quicker to download a DVD quality rip of a movie than it is a Blu-ray quality rip).

Having said that though, I've gotten to the point where it's tough for me to watch anything less than Blu-ray quality. [/QUOTE]

I was a skeptic and didn't buy into BR until the Sony BDP-S350 for $150 deal last thanksgiving.

That said, I have been very impressed by Blu Ray. But not to the extent of you and others. I still have 300+ DVDs and don't plan on upgrading more than 10-15 of them that are favorites and heavy on special effects etc. And I watch a good bit of stuff on the streaming etc.

I love the picture quality of BR, but I've never been a videophile, so it's the content that matters most to me so I can equally enjoy most things on DVD etc.

i am not a fan of how the info for netflix streaming is not the same as it is for a dvd or blu ray. how can i display time info without hitting the pause button?

[quote name='br26']i just prefer it on the 360, that's all. i have both systems and I'm fine with the PS3 so I'm not about to go on an anti-sony rant.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar reaction...I tried this out last night, and on the PS3 the menu interface isn't as fast to respond and on somethings, like navigating various episodes within a TV season, don't move around very well. But I suspect alot of this is due to jamming this in the PS3 through BD-Live and things will likely improve over time...but for 'free' on the PS3 vs having to pay for xbox live, one can suffer through some fairly minor UI hassles.

Yeah, everything seems to lag ever so slightly, but I'm sure that will probably be improved over time. Once this gets integrated into the system, no more Netflix on the 360 for me. The less I have to use for non-gaming aspects, the better.

Still haven't received my disk even after having to order a new one. The first delivery date was last week sometime and then the delivery date for the new one was yesterday and still nothing.

Tried this out the other day. Too slow and laggy for me. Other than that I like the interface, but I prefer Netflix on my 360. One of the nice things is that you don't have to sign up for PSN account to use it. I can let my boy sign on his kids account and not have to worry about him buying stuff on the PS Store(even though you can password protect purcahses).

I came home the next day after showing him how to use netflix on the PS3 and you know what? He went back to the 360 too, LOL. I did notice one thing. Ghostbusters 2 had no sound when I played it though my 360 and does have sound on the PS3, very strange.

For those saying it's laggy try again. The first time I used it it was a bit sluggish, and things weren't working right. But a few days later it worked perfectly. I don't have any lag or any problems and the HD videos look great. Not blu ray great, but worlds better than what it looks like on my computer.

Is the netflix disc a DVD or Bluray disk out of curiosity?
The reason I ask Is I have three ps3's that read everything but Blu's which I could dedicate as a streaming machine.
I'll check it out and see which I prefer.
I know I do like the 360 interface though.

[quote name='bryenfury']Is the netflix disc a DVD or Bluray disk out of curiosity?
The reason I ask Is I have three ps3's that read everything but Blu's which I could dedicate as a streaming machine.
I'll check it out and see which I prefer.
I know I do like the 360 interface though.[/QUOTE]

It's a Blu-ray. It uses BD-Live for the instant streaming.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It's a Blu-ray. It uses BD-Live for the instant streaming.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the quick response.
I just ordered the disk.
I guess I need to wait for the integrated update for those boxes.
Welp Lets see how it is in the meantime.

I have Netflix on both my 360 and PS3.........the PS3 Netflix would get the nod automatically as you don't have to pay a fee just to use the Netflix which you pay for (XBox Live Gold membership). That said, I like how the 360 scrolls through the movies. It is quicker and smoother, but I like how access to the movie synopsis is easier on the PS3. I would ultimately give the nod to the PS3 for not requiring a membership to access your Netflix membership.

I have it on both systems.
I prefer it on 360 but hey with the ps3 i dont have to pay for xbox live so its a win for me =]

I have a question before I decide to do this. I have a N wireless router and it doesnt seem to matter that it does up to 300mbps download. My PS3 downloads data at like 3mbps or something like that. Demos of game take an hour or more. My signal is like 85-95% all the time. Does streaming work better than actual downloading? How can I make the PS3 download faster?

[quote name='Llamaw00d']I have Netflix on both my 360 and PS3.........the PS3 Netflix would get the nod automatically as you don't have to pay a fee just to use the Netflix which you pay for (XBox Live Gold membership). That said, I like how the 360 scrolls through the movies. It is quicker and smoother, but I like how access to the movie synopsis is easier on the PS3. I would ultimately give the nod to the PS3 for not requiring a membership to access your Netflix membership.[/QUOTE]

You can scroll through a little quicker with the trigger buttons. It's still one at a time, but faster than using the analog sticks

I didn't see this mentioned, but those who don't have the netflix disc for ps3, you can download a program called PlayOn. PlayOn allows you to watch Netflix, Hulu.com, and Amazon on-demand movies on your ps3. Just google it and you'll find the download link

bread's done
Back