New Monthly $5 Dollar Cert for Power Up Rewards Pro

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Please delete if this is irrelevant but I was at GameStop today picking up my Pokemon Switch Lite and learned a $15 Power Up membership now comes with a monthly 5 dollar cert that works on anything in the store. The cert expires monthly and while the manager in the store said it was live ( I got a 5 dollar cert for signing up immediately) I saw on the site it doesn't start until Jan 2020. $60 for $15 seems like a desent deal though with just a few limitations. Here's the details for those interested.

https://www.gamestop.com/poweruprewards/

Used my January coupon on the final day of the Winter Sale which ended on 1/1, so there was a single day of overlap.

Was able to get Yooka Laylee: The Impossible Lair brand new for only $15.

Needless to say, I'm happy with this new GameStop thing so far. I haven't subscribed to their program in years (mainly because I had Best Buy Gamer Club for 4 years), but this $5 per month thing convinced me to come back to them. Plus, this could just be my local store, but the associates there haven't been really pushy about pre-orders -- something that GameStop as a whole is notorious for badgering people about.

Tried xbox and eshop cards neither worked like everyone said. Tried ps and they worked so got a $10 for $5.
In December I was given a "Thanks for signing up" $5 off code and the store manager forced it to work on eShop credit for me. He also noticed that PSN rang up with no issues for some reason, as you said. Wonder if they'll get that fixed for Xbox and Nintendo cards.

In December I was given a "Thanks for signing up" $5 off code and the store manager forced it to work on eShop credit for me. He also noticed that PSN rang up with no issues for some reason, as you said. Wonder if they'll get that fixed for Xbox and Nintendo cards.

I didn't get my January coupon yet -- just the initial $5 off one printed on my receipt when I signed up -- and that one doesn't work on eShop. I'm a bit confused as to whether some of the folks reporting success are using the newly awarded coupon (which is visible in the account), and whether THAT one works...

If neither the "normal" monthly coupon nor the "initial sign-up" one work for MS or Nintendo, I'm surprised they work for PSN cards -- that has to be an oversight. The question now is whether they'll correct things by deactivating it for PSN as well...

Hey guys does anyone know if the $5 monthly certificate works in a $15-$25 eBay or amazon gift card? Thanks

I'm curious if theyll work on 4 for 10 or 4 for 20. Having to drive to GameStop once a month negates any savings. 90% of my GS shopping was on their site. I'm just not seeing the appeal of the new program.

No active offers on my account. Hopefully it shows up.
I always assumed it's for in-store only, it didn't show up on my account online either but I went over to my store and they had no problem seeing that I had that coupon available.

Last edited by a moderator:
$5 monthly thing didn’t work on $10 eShop credit but the employee worked the system for me. Will be leaving a nice review. He added a RDR2 strategy guide that was a $0 item to apply the offer.

I always assumed it's for in-store only, it didn't show up on my account online either but I went over to my store and they had no problem seeing that I had that coupon available.
Don’t have any on the app either. If I have one instore and can use it on $10 ps4 card, then the time has come and so have I. DMC special edition it is

I assume the coupon should become available in my 'active offers', but I have yet to see anything in the app. I am sure that this is a botched launch since this is Gamestop, but would like to try and use mine before I forget about it and it expires. 

For those wondering about the $5 cert..

Download the Gamestop app and sign in.  The $5 cert will be there within active offers...

Also the app still shows if your local stores have new vs used in stock (versus online it only says call store)…

On my Android if I use Chrome it says call store, but using the Gamestop app it shows who has what...so odd... why would I want to talk to a human?..that's why I have the app  :razz:

Also stopped into a store and the employee confirmed the $5 can be used on anything EXCEPT used games...kind of regret re-signing, call me old, but i do appreciate a magazine every now and again

For those wondering about the $5 cert..

Download the Gamestop app and sign in. The $5 cert will be there within active offers...

Also the app still shows if your local stores have new vs used in stock (versus online it only says call store)…

On my Android if I use Chrome it says call store, but using the Gamestop app it shows who has what...so odd... why would I want to talk to a human?..that's why I have the app :razz:
I have yet to see the offer in the app.

Also stopped into a store and the employee confirmed the $5 can be used on anything EXCEPT used games...kind of regret re-signing, call me old, but i do appreciate a magazine every now and again
Same here, my boys and I love the magazine, plan on using the $5 cert on it next month since I dont have enough points for the free coupon which I have done for the past 5 years.

I renewed in December and used a $5 coupon on that same transaction that the associate said I could do. I just now bought Plague Tale and used my $5 coupon for January. So I already got back $10 of the $20 renewal. Plus I still like physical mags. In the 90's and early 2000s, I subscribed to about 8 different gaming mags and as each one arrived in the mail, I would spend the next couple hours reading it from front to back.

So Gamestop will let you use the $5 each month on new games which have a smaller profit margin, but not on used games that they mark up tremendously. Makes sense...........

I renewed in December and used a $5 coupon on that same transaction that the associate said I could do. I just now bought Plague Tale and used my $5 coupon for January. So I already got back $10 of the $20 renewal. Plus I still like physical mags. In the 90's and early 2000s, I subscribed to about 8 different gaming mags and as each one arrived in the mail, I would spend the next couple hours reading it from front to back.
Ah the glory days. I loved getting magazines like EGM, Nintendo Power, Gamepro, and Sega Visions to name a few I subscribed to back in the day.

So Gamestop will let you use the $5 each month on new games which have a smaller profit margin, but not on used games that they mark up tremendously. Makes sense...........
The killer for this to me is that the $5 expire each month if you don't use it. I'm sure I could find something to buy monthly and take $5 off, pretty sure I buy at least one game a month. The new Pro benefits seem designed as an incentive to come into the store at least once a month to use the coupon before you lose it, but all the caveats make it less appealing since you can't use the coupon on used products and I feel like I saw that the additional Power Up Reward points for being a Pro member has also gone away along with the 10% off used.

The smart move would have been to offer 20% or at least 10% off new games instead of the $5 coupon, that would be much more valuable as a benefit especially with GCU dead.

I renewed in December and used a $5 coupon on that same transaction that the associate said I could do. I just now bought Plague Tale and used my $5 coupon for January. So I already got back $10 of the $20 renewal.
Typically i do not buy anything new from Gamestop and only go there for used games and sales. Maybe I will have to rethink that.

(currently I am struggling with do i buy Dragon Quest 11 pre-owned with $5 coupon off pre-owned or buy it digitally through PSN (same price) and similarly do i but Battle Chasers on Switch (physical copy) or on PSN (currently $6..half the price)

I'll probably buy a set of KontrolFreeks or something. I renewed my account in Oct 19. Checked my active offers weekly but no $5 off coupon yet...

(currently I am struggling with do i buy Dragon Quest 11 pre-owned with $5 coupon off pre-owned or buy it digitally through PSN (same price) and similarly do i but Battle Chasers on Switch (physical copy) or on PSN (currently $6..half the price)
I know the price is more than double, but if you have both systems 100% the Switch version of DQ XI is the way to go.

Typically i do not buy anything new from Gamestop and only go there for used games and sales. Maybe I will have to rethink that.

Plague Tale was marked down to $19.99 new and I brought it down to $15 with the coupon. I most likely will use my monthly $5 on new games that are on sale.

I know the price is more than double, but if you have both systems 100% the Switch version of DQ XI is the way to go.
Why?

I justed started playing Ys VIII on the Switch and really enjoying it. I was considering DQ for switch because I imagine load times are like nil for the switch.... i have all 3 systems (and bring the switch to school for kids to have lunch with me...yeah i am the cool teacher lol)

Why?

I justed started playing Ys VIII on the Switch and really enjoying it. I was considering DQ for switch because I imagine load times are like nil for the switch.... i have all 3 systems (and bring the switch to school for kids to have lunch with me...yeah i am the cool teacher lol)
Waayyy more content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTQg6Kul8g

UPDATE:

was in GS store today..and where i was told Tuesday that the $5 could be used on Nintendo eShop cards 

TODAY

i was told it can not be used on those because that "money" comes from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft and not a GameStop item...i mean makes sense, but their employess don't even know

the employee at the counter discounted the card $5 so that i still got the coupon, but that's a straight loss for them

AND thanks for the tips on DQ!!

Why?

Yea, extra content, the entire 3DS game that was only released in Japan (you can switch to 2d mode and play it like a SNES rpg), the entire orchestral soundtrack instead of MIDI, and a ton of quality of life improvements. Really a shame they didn't offer it even as paid content update for the PS4 game as I'd love it there for the trophies. Worth every penny for the Switch version.

UPDATE:

was in GS store today..and where i was told Tuesday that the $5 could be used on Nintendo eShop cards

TODAY

i was told it can not be used on those because that "money" comes from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft and not a GameStop item...i mean makes sense, but their employess don't even know
What's weird is that the manager said the $5 monthly coupon (not initial) was working for them on eShop cards. He gave me the $5 discount with my initial discount anyway, but said that he'd been successfully using the account coupon for folks several times...

I hope that when my coupon arrives, it will work...

I went in a couple days ago to ask about my $5 coupon that I never got. Turns out my 20% as elite on used games still works and they had no idea what was to happen to me as an elite member. They told me to call about getting my $5 coupon. But do I really want that? From what I heard everyone else had their 10% taken away in exchange for a $5 coupon you can only use on new games.

The GS I was at was unsure when the discount goes away.

You would think change of something major like that would be on a memo somewhere :p

:eek: remember when Game Informer broke news that there were more gyms in Sword and Shield and everyone was like "lul lies" and now the expansions are bringing more gyms.. I still won't subscribe though

Starting the 16th, the 5 dollar monthly certs will work on Pre-Owned. It didnt before this because they didnt want people to double dip 10% discount and the free cert.

Went to my local GameStop to see if they could find my coupon today. I haven't seen anything since the beginning of the month in my active offers. I haven't renewed since getting it last July too so I'm not a new member. They said the coupons should start getting put into people's account starting today, but it will take time to show up in active offers. I had them manually check my account and nothing. Forgot to ask if I could apply it to PSN cards so hopefully once it shows up I'll go back and use it on a $10 card no problems.

Did you sign up for Pro before or after the new plan went into effect? If before, you didn't get anything yet. If after, you should have gotten it at the beginning of the month. And you got a $5 signup bonus on your receipt when you subscribed in stores.

Did you sign up for Pro before or after the new plan went into effect? If before, you didn't get anything yet. If after, you should have gotten it at the beginning of the month. And you got a $5 signup bonus on your receipt when you subscribed in stores.
I signed up for Pro last July so before the new plan.

Has anyone tried to use it with used items, the clerk gave me shi.. about it.
Well, they shouldn't, it says you CAN use it on used items, starting today.

Just wondering where my certificate is at, period. Then again, Gamestop's app STILL lists expired reward certs you can purchase with your points...so there's always that incompetence.

Has anyone tried to use it with used items, the clerk gave me shi.. about it.
Well, they shouldn't, it says you CAN use it on used items, starting today.

Just wondering where my certificate is at, period. Then again, Gamestop's app STILL lists expired reward certs you can purchase with your points...so there's always that incompetence.
Sounds like a classic case of "POS or GTFO"

"Well, it SHOULD work so let's see if the register will accept it."

bread's done
Back