New PS2 Slims Converted to Used (GS 39.99)

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everyone, sorry if this is old news. Gamestop has started to convert all their new PS2 Slims to Used (without breaking the seals on it). So that means that it's going for 39.99 now for brand new Slims. YMMV, but it's confirmed in Davis, CA and has been confirmed by another member also. Apparently they just received the email the other day to begin the process. Good luck!

[quote name='blindinglights']Thanks so much to the guy who said they converted new PS2s to used at Gamestop this week. Just picked up a brand new sealed one for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheJayxor392']New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
been waiting for this. by "converting" it, they still kept the system sealed right?

EDIT: nvm, didnt read it carefully xD

will be looking forward to using this with my giftcard.

thanks OP. snagged the last one at my local store. the clerk offered to open it on the spot to prove that it was brand new without me saying a word. it was definitely brand new.
been looking for a ps2 ever since my BC ps3 died.

Similar thing at Walmart: new games as used.

Explained: there weren't many, but in the used game section,
some of the 360 games still had their 360 seal on them...I think
that the outer seal was the original seal.

[quote name='oasisboy']GameStop has done this for some time especially with DS games. These games are sold as used even though all they did was remove the wrapper. They want to move the merchandise that is not selling.[/QUOTE]

I assume there is some accounting trickery going on behind-the-scenes as well.
Something like they tell the publisher "these haven't sold, we're gonna send them back for the refund ....or we'll pay you X bulk rate for them & mark them used"
then they end up making more profit than they even would have if someone had traded it in

how exactly can you tell if the ps2 are new, do u just call them up or do you have to go into the store and look for seals that arent broken?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']FYI: Best Buy may also be clearing out the slim PS2's as well now. Unfortunately they were still marked MSRP when I was in there just before Black Friday and now they're all gone.

The've already marked down the peripherals to clearance pricing(memory cards for $5-10, etc).[/QUOTE]

I checked my BB two weeks ago and they were still about 6 left at $99. How long ago did you notice them all gone?

[quote name='Invicta 61']I checked my BB two weeks ago and they were still about 6 left at $99. How long ago did you notice them all gone?[/QUOTE]
Just after Black Friday. So chances are my local ones got bought up.

[quote name='exaznkid']how exactly can you tell if the ps2 are new, do u just call them up or do you have to go into the store and look for seals that arent broken?[/QUOTE]

You or the employee has to check the seal since they apparently deleted the sku for new ps2s in their system

[quote name='Blaster man']People still buy these things? To me, PS2 graphics look terrible.[/QUOTE]

images

Thanks OP, in for 1!

Sounds like a great deal but I'm just not sure if I want to get one or even try to find one for this price. My favorite games for the PS2 were Jak and Daxter (coming to the PS3 next month), God of War (Already converted to PS3), Ratchet and Clank (I assume coming soon?), Grand Theft Auto (Now this might be a reason to get one) and Final Fantasy 10 (I heard it's also coming soon to the PS3).

Can anyone think of anything else I'm missing that might help me decide?

[quote name='blindinglights']Read this article.[/QUOTE]
wow, I can't believe how many of those games I have and never played. I should pick up a PS2 since mine went wonky last year.

so I'm guessing these don't come in the original boxes or have the Sony brand controllers that come with them?

I bought a fat PS2 online from GS for about $35 couple of months ago and the knockoff controller they sent was a total piece of junk.

[quote name='GindoGuy']so I'm guessing these don't come in the original boxes or have the Sony brand controllers that come with them?[/QUOTE]

They are brand new consoles, that have been converted to "used" in the GameStop computers and therefore priced as if they are used, despite being still sealed in box.

Just got mine with the factory seal intact. I went to two gamestops the first one the guy was a idiot who told me that all they sell is the used ones in the crappy gamestop boxes so I left. In the next one the guy got me a new one right away and I rode off with my ps2 into the sunset. Shocking how they are selling new as used now!

Called up the GS down the street today and they said they still have new PS2s in their inventory and haven't received any word on moving them to used. Called up a second GS in the area and was given the same answer. Then he added, "However, I do have a few "new" systems that are $40."

So apparently (at least according to the stores in my area) these systems are still technically "new" and not in their "used" inventory. But who knows... its not like "rocket scientist" is one of the qualifications to work there.

But just thought I'd let everyone know that if they're getting a "no" on the new systems being used, just ask them what the price of their new systems are.

I picked up one today.. remember there is NO 10% discount on it with the card. The white ones have the Singstar and mics in it.

I stopped at 3 Gamestops and called the rest in my area (w/in about 1/2 hour drive). Two of them had some in yesterday but sold out of them and the rest didn't have any at all. One of the Gamestops I went to started acting like it was some kind of big confidential company secret that they were selling the leftover new consoles as used. I told him I had heard about it on the internet and another store I had stopped at confirmed it; which is the point where his eyes got all big and he got this concerned look on his face. It almost made me wonder if they actually did have some that they were keeping for themselves.

they have been converting new to used on collector editions of games for a while now. I have picked up several titles at used prices that were brand new.

holy crap my gamestop said they still got about 5-6 new PS2s at $99.99, hopefully it rings up $39.99 when I get there. I'd love to get a 2nd PS2 since my rpg collection on it is HUUUGE!

Btw since I got my PS3, my PS2 probably only got about 30 hours play use (bought new), not sure if this is the case for anyone else.

[quote name='xcefkevin']Sounds like a great deal but I'm just not sure if I want to get one or even try to find one for this price. My favorite games for the PS2 were Jak and Daxter (coming to the PS3 next month), God of War (Already converted to PS3), Ratchet and Clank (I assume coming soon?), Grand Theft Auto (Now this might be a reason to get one) and Final Fantasy 10 (I heard it's also coming soon to the PS3).

Can anyone think of anything else I'm missing that might help me decide?[/QUOTE]

PS1 and PS2 survival horror games. I'm thinking of getting one because that is what my collection primarily is. Only problem is I will probably never use it and I hate putting my precious discs on that awful snap on spindle- it has cracked 2 of my other games. I won't use it as a DVD player either because of this (at least expensive multidisc sets like Twilight Zone).

GameStop can likely "write off" these consoles in their fancy accounting as a loss and receive a $$ reimbursement from Sony. The profit margins on new consoles and games is tiny and supported by quantities of sales (which is why retailers are still excited by Wiis and their 7+ attach rate for games).

Money made from used sales comes at a considerable profit accounting wise, based on what GameStop would pay for a used console (which is next to nothing for a PS2 if they even take them anymore), so for GameStop it is a way for them to have their cake, with icing, and eat it too. They can get money from the customer, and money from Sony.

If nothing else, it's a good price for a premium Sony DVD player.

Just picked up a Toy Story Slim bundle (black) at $39.99. Now to do more in-depth research about this particular model!

It's kind of strange that I didn't get 10% off with my PUR card; does anyone know why it wasn't applied?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Just picked up a Toy Story Slim bundle (black) at $39.99. Now to do more in-depth research about this particular model!

It's kind of strange that I didn't get 10% off with my PUR card; does anyone know why it wasn't applied?[/QUOTE]

10% off was never good on hardware

[quote name='CaoPi']10% off was never good on hardware[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok thanks for explaining! (I've never bought hardware from GS before, lol)

[quote name='TMD121']I picked up one today.. remember there is NO 10% discount on it with the card. The white ones have the Singstar and mics in it.[/QUOTE]

HOLD THE fuckING PHONE!! Some Gamestops have the white Singstar bundle in stock?! I've wanted a white PS2 for freaking ever! Oh man, oh man... time to make some calls!

Grabbed a white singstar bundle and they let me use it towards b2g1f. white singstar ps2, mario kart 7 for 3ds and resitance 3. Wow they even included a resistance 3 online code on my receipt. Didn't notice that.

[quote name='kklems']Grabbed a white singstar bundle and they let me use it towards b2g1f. white singstar ps2, mario kart 7 for 3ds and resitance 3.[/QUOTE]

God damn it, I couldn't even find a simple black core console and you found the crown jewel.

[quote name='kklems']Grabbed a white singstar bundle and they let me use it towards b2g1f. white singstar ps2, mario kart 7 for 3ds and resitance 3. Wow they even included a resistance 3 online code on my receipt. Didn't notice that.[/QUOTE]

I'm SO jealous.

Just hit two GSs; no luck at the first, and at the second, the employee was super cool. Called just about every other store within 15 miles for me. Only one said they had even had new systems to convert, but the manager had bought it a couple days ago.

Gah! My quest for a white system continues... :whistle2:(

[quote name='TMD121']I picked up one today.. remember there is NO 10% discount on it with the card. The white ones have the Singstar and mics in it.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Just picked up a Toy Story Slim bundle (black) at $39.99. Now to do more in-depth research about this particular model!

It's kind of strange that I didn't get 10% off with my PUR card; does anyone know why it wasn't applied?[/QUOTE]
Even though you don't get a 10% discount on the console with the PUR, remember that you DO still get the PUR points for the purchase. So remember to have them scan the card to get your points.

Thanks, OP & fellow CAGs. Stopped by a local GS about an hour ago & got their last white Singstar bundle. :applause:

The guy who rang me up hadn't heard of the deal, and he'd been working all day. I guess word isn't totally on the street yet, so keep hunting!

I also grabbed a white Singstar bundle & was told it was valid as part of the B2G1 used deal! They even had another Singstar left and a few standard new slims as well.

[quote name='kurtori']I also grabbed a white Singstar bundle & was told it was valid as part of the B2G1 used deal! They even had another Singstar left and a few standard new slims as well.[/QUOTE]
You should've grabbed a second one and then a $54.99 used game, since I know other CAG's said Gamestop's online system wouldn't allow a used console to be the free item, so that same glitch may have worked in store too.:D

Then you'd have had 2 new PS2 systems and a newer game for around $80 total.;)

Totally out of luck with the stores in my area. Many claimed that they haven't had any new PS2's since early 2010. Some of the employees at a few of the stores looked at me like I was asking them for a Super Nintendo or something. Oh well, I did pick up a used sliver slim about a week and a half ago which is running great so I guess I'll just have to stick to that.

I got pretty excited when the guy working asked me if I wanted a regular black one, or the last white one they had. Then he came out with a silver core system, and I asked about the white one, since the one he had was silver. He said 'Silver, white, same thing, right?'

I mean, I can't complain about a new in sealed box ps2 for $40, but way to build up my hopes and dash them in the course of a minute. :(

Man, how do so many of your stores have white systems left - or any at all, for that matter?

I live in KC, MO; where every store always has an extra everything laying around. But I can't get my hands on one of these things for the life of me ;p

Congrats to all of you, just the same, though. :)

Thanks op.

I called a GS and they told me they had the newly converted consoles. I went and the employee told me they gutted all of the consoles cuz they can't sell them as new. He said he would give me a random box because it would take too long to check all of the consoles to see which ones were new. I said no thank you and he subsequently said sorry man with an attitude.

I don't understand why GS employees tend to give their customers a hard time. I mean, why would he lie about gutting all of boxes? Why wouldn't he sell me the console when the sale was practically guaranteed?

Anyway, so I went to the nearest GS and they had a couple of the consoles in its sealed box with the "new" stickers still on. The employee wouldn't let me buy it with the B2G1 deal, but that's all right.

Finally got a new PS2 for a great price after my old one got stolen. Still got a bunch of Shin Megami Tensei games to play.

My old fat PS2 is in great working condition... except that it gives me trouble when I try to play black or blue backed PS2/PS1 discs. The last game I had an issue with playing was ICO. It has a blue back on it, and although it worked for a brief period of time, I had to use the tape trick to get the game to work without issues.

I may consider picking up one of these PS2s if I get the chance just because of that.

bread's done
Back