New PS2 Slims Converted to Used (GS 39.99)

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everyone, sorry if this is old news. Gamestop has started to convert all their new PS2 Slims to Used (without breaking the seals on it). So that means that it's going for 39.99 now for brand new Slims. YMMV, but it's confirmed in Davis, CA and has been confirmed by another member also. Apparently they just received the email the other day to begin the process. Good luck!

[quote name='blindinglights']Thanks so much to the guy who said they converted new PS2s to used at Gamestop this week. Just picked up a brand new sealed one for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheJayxor392']New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I had one guy tell me that it's been 7 years since they sold PS2 systems in the USA.

Dude actually said that.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']sigh...i called 6 stores next to me and all of them said they havnt had new ps2s in years...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']Yeah, I had one guy tell me that it's been 7 years since they sold PS2 systems in the USA.

Dude actually said that.[/QUOTE]

The collective mind on CAG vastly exceeds the collective knowledge of GS employees when it comes to gaming knowledge.

Shoot I called in the stores around here all of them conformed that they dont have any boxed ps2s, oh well I guess I'll have to pass by there after visiting my friend Twilights house.

Deciding if I should grab another one for collecting purposes (I love my PS2 games), might give the sealed one up as a gift...

I can only think that the GS employees are thinking that Sony stopped making new PS2s is because their stores haven't sold new ones in a few years...largely because they never put the new models on display and only the used models are on the floor for sale. I'd love to get in the back room of the GameStops near me to see how many rare items are sitting back there on shelves never to be sold because customers will never know they exist.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I can only think that the GS employees are thinking that Sony stopped making new PS2s is because their stores haven't sold new ones in a few years...largely because they never put the new models on display and only the used models are on the floor for sale. I'd love to get in the back room of the GameStops near me to see how many rare items are sitting back there on shelves never to be sold because customers will never know they exist.[/QUOTE]

I really doubt there is anything in the back rooms, GS probably requires all unsold things to go back to headquarters (now you might find something there!). Those back rooms are also REALLY tiny and they barely have room for the inventory that GS normally stocks. So I doubt there are rare things in the back room of your local GS.

When I worked at Kmart I heard there were tons of toys in the back of the store that were unsold, the person who told me made it sound like there were a few decades worth of stuff back there, which I would not find hard to believe given the shelves at Kmart. I was never able to poke around as a cashier grunt though. Now Kmart is a store where you might find something worthwhile in the back room.

But I am guessing that since a lot of Kmart stores were closed up since I heard that that they probably sent all of that type of inventory to the closing stores.

[quote name='SaraAB']I am guessing they are repackaging the systems because they don't want resellers grabbing them all up but they probably want all their inventory gone from the store. Makes no sense though if they want their inventory gone. A PS2 new in package probably fetches more than $40 on ebay so this would be a big opportunity for resellers.

If I remember correctly with the bigger memory cards you have to insert a regular Sony 8MB card into them to even get them to work, at least that was the case with the one I had. Otherwise it seemed to work fine. There are some people who won't trust a 3rd party PS1 or PS2 memory card though. Sears had new in package PS2 memory cards for $5 on clearance just a few months ago, if you look around there might still be some at the stores.[/QUOTE]
They also had the two packs(one red, one blue) of the PS2 memory cards on clearance for $5 a year or two ago. I picked up a couple of those and I had them on my TL here on CAG forever.

Eventually I ended up breaking up the one two pack and trading them into GS for $4.40 each. I'm probably keeping the other one so I have some cards to use with my slim PS2 I got from Target for $50 last year, since the memory cards I have right now include an old official one that I got in 2001 and a Nyko brand one I bought in 2003 or so from Blockbuster.

But that's the good part about the PS3, in that you can use one of the Sony memory card adapters and store your saves on the PS3 hdd, even if the system isn't one of the fully BC ones.;)
[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Will definitely check out the gamestop today even though they said they only had used when I called them two days ago. I suspect they were only looking at their computers. Hopefully I get lucky and find a white one. Besides this gamestop has two PS3 MW3 hardened editions left that are pretty hard to find so it's possible.[/QUOTE]
Wait a second. Isn't the MW3 HE the one that comes with that Elite thing that normally costs $50 by itself? If I remember correctly, someone on CAG made a thread stating that those HE's went down to $79.99 NEW at GS.

So if you sold the code for $40 and any other extras for another $30-40, you could essentially get the game "free". I'd have probably snapped up at least one of those MW3 HE's just for the possibility of parting it out.

Yeah, the founders code alone that come in the Hardened Edition are going for around 40 on ebay. I'm tempted to sell/trade mine, since I activated my Elite right away and got founders status that way.

[quote name='exaznkid']i think i managed to snag the last sealed ps2 slim in all of buffalo, but no luck on the white singstar bundle; it appears to be as rare as a unicorn sighting in these parts.[/QUOTE]

if buffalo as in WNY, I was at the store on Union by sam's club, and they have 5 as of yesterday, but I bought one, so they went down to 4 by close. So they might have some left. As well as the guys there were much better than the GS I usually go to as well. So maybe try there, fellow wny cags.

[quote name='exaznkid']i think i managed to snag the last sealed ps2 slim in all of buffalo, but no luck on the white singstar bundle; it appears to be as rare as a unicorn sighting in these parts.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome! I was thinking of buying one but I'm going to save my money. My PS3 plays all of the games I own. I was going to get one to play Yakuza 1/2, but I'll just start with Yakuza 3 since you can watch a recap of past events.

Is $65 enough to convince someone to pick me one up? Must be factory sealed please. Maybe $75? Shipped? $100 for the white one, again, factory sealed.

ANyone?

[quote name='Paladinion']Walked into my gamestop not even thinking about this since I was returning some used games, took a look at the floor near the pc games and they had about 6 or 7 boxes stacked up of the slim ps2s...on the top was a brand new one sealed (black). So I looked at the gf and said "Kingdom Hearts?" she looked back at me and said "**** YEA!!" so I grabbed it. The rest could of been new but with converted boxes I didnt bother checking. The one I got even still had the PS seal sticker on it, when I opened it everything was still wrapped in default packaging, so im 100% sure it is brand new. 50 bucks I walked out with the new PS2, Kingdom Hearts 1 (was gonna get 2 but they didnt have it), and a PS2 32mb memory card.

This was in West Dundee, IL at the Springhill Mall location, if your in the area dont go to the one outside of the mall, they dont carry anything ps2 at all anymore.

PS: Was funny asking for the memory card, the dude reached behind the counter and pulled out a giant basket filled to the brim so I just went through them and found the biggest capacity one lol.[/QUOTE]

How much are the PS2 memory cards at GS? I remember years ago buying one from them and it ended up being a Chinese knockoff that didn't even work. Anyhow, glad I'm off work tomorrow, I'll have to try to find that Singstar bundle.

This seems like a horrible move by gamestop. Business wise, cause obviously for us consumers it's awesome. But obviously they want to clear out their new PS2. Why not just drop it to 79.99 or 69.99? Bet they would all sell rather quickly. Maybe not to us CAGs, but many people would jump on that. Many stores are already out of new PS2s. So we're not talking about really huge numbers. Hell, just drop the price of the new ones to 40 bucks, rather than converting them to used. Isn't a new PS2 more appealing to a customer?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They also had the two packs(one red, one blue) of the PS2 memory cards on clearance for $5 a year or two ago. I picked up a couple of those and I had them on my TL here on CAG forever.

Eventually I ended up breaking up the one two pack and trading them into GS for $4.40 each. I'm probably keeping the other one so I have some cards to use with my slim PS2 I got from Target for $50 last year, since the memory cards I have right now include an old official one that I got in 2001 and a Nyko brand one I bought in 2003 or so from Blockbuster.

But that's the good part about the PS3, in that you can use one of the Sony memory card adapters and store your saves on the PS3 hdd, even if the system isn't one of the fully BC ones.;)

Wait a second. Isn't the MW3 HE the one that comes with that Elite thing that normally costs $50 by itself? If I remember correctly, someone on CAG made a thread stating that those HE's went down to $79.99 NEW at GS.

So if you sold the code for $40 and any other extras for another $30-40, you could essentially get the game "free". I'd have probably snapped up at least one of those MW3 HE's just for the possibility of parting it out.[/QUOTE]

I stumbled upon the memory card you mention. Thanks! I will keep that in mind! You're a wealth of knowledge!:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PS2-PS...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3a6efb4190

Added more PS2 games to my collection thanks to the Best Buy sale!:)

Do these memory cards seem like something to purchase? I'm thinking of getting 1 of them. Any of you ever try these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64MB-Memory...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item45fc458c0e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-128MB-1...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item5891633a51

EDIT: I'm going to bite on 1 of these and, from the comments, they work well and BOTH sellers are in China. The 1 with the 128mb has the 64 mb for $4.xx.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I stumbled upon the memory card you mention. Thanks! I will keep that in mind! You're a wealth of knowledge!:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PS2-PS...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3a6efb4190[/QUOTE]
Sony actually released an official adapter when they were still making the fully BC PS3's. They were, I believe, $14.99 when they first released.

I bought a ton of them at 90% off from Kmart/Sears and I sold a few on CAG to others who couldn't find them if I remember correctly.

I kept one for my own personal use and it has come in handy for the 2-3x I've used it to archive my game saves on my PS3.

[quote name='JP73']This seems like a horrible move by gamestop. Business wise, cause obviously for us consumers it's awesome. But obviously they want to clear out their new PS2. Why not just drop it to 79.99 or 69.99? Bet they would all sell rather quickly. Maybe not to us CAGs, but many people would jump on that. Many stores are already out of new PS2s. So we're not talking about really huge numbers. Hell, just drop the price of the new ones to 40 bucks, rather than converting them to used. Isn't a new PS2 more appealing to a customer?[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen and heard. They are only considered "used" although they are practically brand new. Most people have been finding new, sealed PS2s and buying them at the used price.

I have a PS3 80GB model with software backwards compatibility. Can anybody think of a reason why I have to buy one of these? I'm actually being completely sincere with this question, too.

[quote name='Kingfalcon']I have a PS3 80GB model with software backwards compatibility. Can anybody think of a reason why I have to buy one of these? I'm actually being completely sincere with this question, too.[/QUOTE]

because you know that your 80G model will fail one day... ;)

[quote name='Kingfalcon']I have a PS3 80GB model with software backwards compatibility. Can anybody think of a reason why I have to buy one of these? I'm actually being completely sincere with this question, too.[/QUOTE]

Let stress on your system if you play PS2 games. Bragging rights when you, still, have your 80gig PS3 at 80 years old. Also, to play those old fashioned things called....DVD's!:cold:

[quote name='CaoPi']because you know that your 80G model will fail one day... ;)[/QUOTE]
Not to mention that a ps2 has 100% ps2 compatability, while the 80g software ps3 does not.

Irrelevant but the cold hard truth is I have hardly played my PS2 in the time I have had it, I feel like I still have to dive into the system's library...

In the past year I have acquired a PS2 slim, Xbox 360, and Xbox all of which I never played when they were originally released. I had a PS2 in 2010 when I got my first one but I didn't play it much. The phat PS2 is a great DVD player though. I didn't realize my real DVD player would start working again if I just blew into it...

My playtime from the last gen has been solely lacking, but Xbox Live has me hooked on achievements and completing games on the Xbox 360 even though I don't have a gold subscription.

I also have a Wii, a ton of games for it and plans to buy a PS3 by the end of this year. I am just totally overloaded with games....

Guys I just did a search are there any differences between these slim PS2 used systems? Or is one is complete while the other is not? Because I noticed different stores have this instock in contrast. Not sure if this would help since the SKU was deleted from the system.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/consoles/playstation-2-redesign-gamestop-refurbished/37213

http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/consoles/playstation-2-system-complete-gamestop-refurbished/36742

Also for people getting these "GUTTED NEW PS2's" were the cables and controllers new looking or did they look pretty beat up and used?

[quote name='CaoPi']because you know that your 80G model will fail one day... ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Let stress on your system if you play PS2 games. Bragging rights when you, still, have your 80gig PS3 at 80 years old. Also, to play those old fashioned things called....DVD's!:cold:[/QUOTE]

I picked up a PS2 slim from GS because I have a 60 gb PS3 that I hope to keep alive as long as I can. I don't watch blu rays nor play PS2 games on it. I just play PS3 games on it. I already traded in my phat PS2, which had some problems reading blue backed PS2 games, to GS awhile back for $45.

I checked 3 GS tonight and still couldn't find a silver or white PS2 slim. Two GS employees stated that Sony stopped making those consoles years ago. One said 7 years ago and another said 10 years ago. Oh ok, sure:roll:

I picked up 2 "brand new" PS2's....one sealed in original box and one that had been put in a GameStop "used" box (even though it was obviously brand spanking new). Bought them at different GameStops but both had a part number of "909074 909/000" and a description that said "PS2 System - Complete Small U" and on the side of the box they hand wrote "SKU Conversion"

About 3 weeks ago, I also bought a "real" used PS2 Slim (good condition, but was definitely used. The part number was "909075 909/000" and the description was "PS2 System - Small

[quote name='CaoPi']Guys I just did a search are there any differences between these slim PS2 used systems? Or is one is complete while the other is not? Because I noticed different stores have this instock in contrast. Not sure if this would help since the SKU was deleted from the system.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/consoles/playstation-2-redesign-gamestop-refurbished/37213

http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/consoles/playstation-2-system-complete-gamestop-refurbished/36742

Also for people getting these "GUTTED NEW PS2's" were the cables and controllers new looking or did they look pretty beat up and used?[/QUOTE]

No idea what the difference is between those two links.

The "gutted new PS2" had the cables all rubber-banded (instead of what I assume should be a twist-tie), but otherwise looked completely new. Even the PS2 DualShock 2 controller looked perfectly new.

I can't find one anywhere, I wish there was a way to check farther stores besides calling. Most of the stores told me they don't even have used systems anymore...

[quote name='david12795']i love how theres literally 6 gamestops in a 2 mile range in my area. probably more but i know theres at least 6.[/QUOTE]

There were 3 within a mile of each other around here for a while. They finally closed one of those three up and opened a new one down the road from me.

[quote name='david12795']your best bet is to go in and check.[/QUOTE]

My question is though, do you straight up ask if they have any new PS2s converted to used, or you just ask them to bring out every single box so you can check?

[quote name='david12795']i love how theres literally 6 gamestops in a 2 mile range in my area.[/QUOTE]

When I was in college, my apartment was within 10 miles of 10 different GameStop stores.

Two were under 5 minute walking distance.

Made finding complete copies of used games a little bit easier.

[quote name='Garfield']My question is though, do you straight up ask if they have any new PS2s converted to used, or you just ask them to bring out every single box so you can check?[/QUOTE]

I ask the GS employee if there are any new PS2 consoles in stock. At 3 different GS, the employees knew about the conversion of the new PS2 slims to used in the system.

I have a 60gb PS3, but I don't really trust in the case of HDD failure that I'll get my saves back. Are PS2/PS1 saves compatible with the cloud?

[quote name='deviousnaraku']How much are the PS2 memory cards at GS? I remember years ago buying one from them and it ended up being a Chinese knockoff that didn't even work. Anyhow, glad I'm off work tomorrow, I'll have to try to find that Singstar bundle.[/QUOTE]

They ranged anywhere form 5 to 10 bucks.

Don't be discouraged. The first gamestop I hit treated me like I was crazy. She said she'd been there for 3 years and there arent any new ones. She said the sku conversion happened years ago. The second game stop i went to had 3 brand new ones. The sales person was more than happy to sell me two of them. Keep checking! My ps2s are brand new in the original sealed box.

Picked up the last one in Marconi a little north of Arden Fair Mall, I think sac is pretty much cleaned out. Now I got 2 PS2s sealed, 1 for a gift!

I'm still looking for a NIB SingStar PS2 but am happy that I was able to pick up a NIB black model. Also very happy that the GS near my work let me return the used (definitely not new) PS2 I bought about 3 weeks ago (before the SKU conversion). They were really cool about it even though it was past the 7 days return policy, partly because I was within the 30-day exchange policy and I guess getting the new "used" PS2 counted as an exchange.

Gotta say, as much as I hate GS's "rip open all new games before you sell them" policy and will never buy a new game from them, they've been pretty cool to deal with recently for used games/consoles. And of course they were the only option for buying my Camo MGS Peacewalker PSP, which was fortunately unopened. Stupid store exclusives.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']

Gotta say, as much as I hate GS's "rip open all new games before you sell them" policy and will never buy a new game from them, they've been pretty cool to deal with recently for used games/consoles. And of course they were the only option for buying my Camo MGS Peacewalker PSP, which was fortunately unopened. Stupid store exclusives.[/QUOTE]

I've had good experiences with GS as of late as well. There now competing with best buy, that usually improves customer service.

[quote name='Youngnoble']I've had good experiences with GS as of late as well. There now competing with best buy, that usually improves customer service.[/QUOTE]
You don't usually see best buy and customer service in the same sentence :0

[quote name='CaoPi']Picked up the last one in Marconi a little north of Arden Fair Mall, I think sac is pretty much cleaned out. Now I got 2 PS2s sealed, 1 for a gift![/QUOTE]

nice, another sac area CAG. glad you were able to snag one. any good independent video game stores in the area?

I had an uneventful trip today. Went to a dozen stores looking for the Singstar bundle and found nothing. Didn't really look for the plain vanilla model, but one store said they had 6 NIB black slims and some guy came and bought them all yesterday...grr damn reseller.

[quote name='kklems']You don't usually see best buy and customer service in the same sentence :0[/QUOTE]

Honestly in the retail environment, it totally depends on the individual store and how competent the managers are. My hometown Best Buy is the absolute pits with the dumbest staff on the face of the earth. It is rated one star on Best Buy's website.

Where I live now (not in Norman, gotta change it) the closet Best Buy is the best one in the city with great and helpful staff. It is rated 5 stars on Best Buy's website and it really deserves that rating.

[quote name='DCpinoy']nice, another sac area CAG. glad you were able to snag one. any good independent video game stores in the area?[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of, there were some in the past, but they closed down due to competition. Although there is gametrader but I never stepped foot in one...

Btw do you know if Davis's gameroom got any new arcade games in? I used to go there to bowl and play initial D with some friends

I stopped by another SoCal GameStop on my way home and they didn't have any. The guy I talked to had no clue when I mentioned the SKU conversion, but he checked in back anyway only to come back saying he didn't find any and didn't think they had any new PS2's in the store in a long time.

Oh well, there's a couple more GameStops near my work...might check them out during my lunch break tomorrow. The quest for the white whale continues.

Shouldn't the thread title read:

"New PS2 Slims Being Sold as Used"?

Kinda confusing using the word "converted," esp. considering GS's tactics in the past...

bread's done
Back