New PS2 Slims Converted to Used (GS 39.99)

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everyone, sorry if this is old news. Gamestop has started to convert all their new PS2 Slims to Used (without breaking the seals on it). So that means that it's going for 39.99 now for brand new Slims. YMMV, but it's confirmed in Davis, CA and has been confirmed by another member also. Apparently they just received the email the other day to begin the process. Good luck!

[quote name='blindinglights']Thanks so much to the guy who said they converted new PS2s to used at Gamestop this week. Just picked up a brand new sealed one for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheJayxor392']New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='halflip87']I called Gamestop in Killingly, CT and asked if they carried any New PS2's, and the employee was informed and knowledgable enough to explain the whole "selling new as used" situation to me. He said they had "tons in stock" so I picked up a couple in the original boxes, seals intact. They were storing them in the back.

-Doug[/QUOTE]

How much would you want for one of those sealed ones shipped?

Anyone else want to give me a number?

I picked up the last one in Avon Commons last night. It was in the converted box, but I didn't care. Never owned a PS2 (shocking, I know), so I was surprised by how tiny it is.

Hooked it up to a $45 projector that I picked up at Target on clearance about 6 months ago and it works beautifully in my basement projecting on the wall. Nice solution for the kids for movie night, or just to play some of the PS2 games that we have laying around.

Question -- what is an appropriate size of a memory card to buy? Never having owned a system like this before I'm not really sure where to start.

[quote name='daminion']I picked up the last one in Avon Commons last night. It was in the converted box, but I didn't care. Never owned a PS2 (shocking, I know), so I was surprised by how tiny it is.

Hooked it up to a $45 projector that I picked up at Target on clearance about 6 months ago and it works beautifully in my basement projecting on the wall. Nice solution for the kids for movie night, or just to play some of the PS2 games that we have laying around.

Question -- what is an appropriate size of a memory card to buy? Never having owned a system like this before I'm not really sure where to start.[/QUOTE]

The Official Sony Mem Cards can probably be had for cheap -- they are ~8MB (if I remember correctly).

Having bad experiences with third-party 'MEGA Memory Cards' on the PS1, I'd be hesitant to recommend anything other than the official Sony cards, honestly.

Also, by my understanding, a lot of the 'MEGA' sized PS2 cards (like this one) are cheap and very low quality 'chinese knock offs' or some sort.

[quote name='plutoknight']The Official Sony Mem Cards can probably be had for cheap -- they are ~8MB (if I remember correctly).

Having bad experiences with third-party 'MEGA Memory Cards' on the PS1, I'd be hesitant to recommend anything other than the official Sony cards, honestly.

Also, by my understanding, a lot of the 'MEGA' sized PS2 cards (like this one) are cheap and very low quality 'chinese knock offs' or some sort.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention, overpriced in that listing. Also, the listing you posted says this, lol,> " PS2 Memory Card 128MB for Playstation 3"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-128MB-1...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item5891633a51

called 6 in my area all stated they haven't carried a new ps2 in years. Anyone grab an extra one and care to sell it?

Update: must have missed one. I called and they had a new one in box. Ya gonna pick it up late.
Update2: this just gets better as its a toy story bundle.

Just got one at my gamestop

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

Still sealed. I am planning to buy more, but don't ask me why LOL

I went to one store near Seattle and they were still selling new PS2s for $99. I couldn't get the guy to scan it unless I was going to buy it and he looked in the computer and it said $99. I called another and they had sold out of the converted to used PS2s, no new ones. I called a different store and they were also selling new for $99.

Did anyone else find new non discount PS2s? I looked a few pages back but did not look through every post.

[quote name='markoslav']I went to one store near Seattle and they were still selling new PS2s for $99. I couldn't get the guy to scan it unless I was going to buy it and he looked in the computer and it said $99. I called another and they had sold out of the converted to used PS2s, no new ones. I called a different store and they were also selling new for $99.

Did anyone else find new non discount PS2s? I looked a few pages back but did not look through every post.[/QUOTE]
so just say that you're going to buy it and then decline if it rings up full price.
what is he gonna do, ban you from gamestop?

Called two GameStops, both knew what I was asking and one had one left in stock - the White (Singstar) bundle! Picked it up and real pleased. Thanks for the heads up and help guys

Anyone have any luck in New Jersey anywhere, everywhere that I have called says we only have used they have not made new ones in years.

[quote name='L0ST3489']Anyone have any luck in New Jersey anywhere, everywhere that I have called says we only have used they have not made new ones in years.[/QUOTE]

That Gamestop clearly has no clue what they're talking about lol.

[quote name='bosoxdanc']That Gamestop clearly has no clue what they're talking about lol.[/QUOTE]

I called 6 or 7 of them and they all said that. lol

[quote name='L0ST3489']I called 6 or 7 of them and they all said that. lol[/QUOTE]
Your best bet is most likely to go there in person and not call. Just simply go in and ask if they have any PS2 systems that they recently converted over from new to used. Simple as that.:)

I haven't tried finding any at my closest GS stores as of yet, but that's likely because I already have a Toy Story 3 bundle from when Target cleared em out for $50 a while ago.:D

Had the worst Gamestop experience today. Then again, I always wonder why I even bother with my local store.

I go there this morning, and ask about the PS2's. He says 'yeah, they are all in the back' and then proceeds to blow me off and talk to his friend. I asked, 'Well, can you go get one for me so I can look at it, I'm thinking of buying one'

'I can't do that, I can't let you open it up in the store until you buy it. We resealed them in used boxes when we get them traded in.'

This was the manager of this particular Gamestop. I've had issues with him in the past (both in and out of Gamestop proper). I got pissed at his continued unwillingness to help me, and left.

My brother went in there an hour ago, and was told that they didn't have any at all now. Said they 'shipped them all back to a distribution center per corporate' (that reeks of BS.)

Anyway. I hardly give GameStop my money anyway, after several other bad experiences (including being outright refused a purchase of a game because 'an employee called dibs on it'). B ut this was too good of a deal to pass up.

Oh well.

[quote name='plutoknight']Had the worst Gamestop experience today. Then again, I always wonder why I even bother with my local store.

I go there this morning, and ask about the PS2's. He says 'yeah, they are all in the back' and then proceeds to blow me off and talk to his friend. I asked, 'Well, can you go get one for me so I can look at it, I'm thinking of buying one'

'I can't do that, I can't let you open it up in the store until you buy it. We resealed them in used boxes when we get them traded in.'

This was the manager of this particular Gamestop. I've had issues with him in the past (both in and out of Gamestop proper). I got pissed at his continued unwillingness to help me, and left.

My brother went in there an hour ago, and was told that they didn't have any at all now. Said they 'shipped them all back to a distribution center per corporate' (that reeks of BS.)

Anyway. I hardly give GameStop my money anyway, after several other bad experiences (including being outright refused a purchase of a game because 'an employee called dibs on it'). B ut this was too good of a deal to pass up.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]
That's when you make a small purchase($.99 PS2 sports game) while making sure it's that dickhead manager ringing you up. Then do the survey that they always whore out on the receipt and give him all 1's and then make sure you add in comments stating exactly what you said above.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's when you make a small purchase($.99 PS2 sports game) while making sure it's that dickhead manager ringing you up. Then do the survey that they always whore out on the receipt and give him all 1's and then make sure you add in comments stating exactly what you said above.[/QUOTE]

That is such a good idea that I dunno why I never thought of that. Darn! :/.

I thought about calling corporate, but I and many other denizens of this town (its the only gamestop within ~30 miles in any direction) have had similar experiences over the years and complained about them and he's still there so, I figure its not worth the effort at this point.

Another tactic to consider is asking for the DM's # and/or email address while in the store. That just denotes you have an issue with their service and you wanna complain. If a call or email to the DM doesn't do anything though, then I'd keep going up the chain of command till I found someone who would rectify the problem.

First thing you should mention in a possible email to the DM though is how that manager cost the store a sale by basically refusing to let you even look at the PS2's to see if they had a converted one.;)

Believe me, once you mention lost sales DM's will usually take a complaint seriously.

[quote name='markoslav']I went to one store near Seattle and they were still selling new PS2s for $99. I couldn't get the guy to scan it unless I was going to buy it and he looked in the computer and it said $99. I called another and they had sold out of the converted to used PS2s, no new ones. I called a different store and they were also selling new for $99.

Did anyone else find new non discount PS2s? I looked a few pages back but did not look through every post.[/QUOTE]

When I bought a new PS2 that was converted to used, I'm pretty sure that the GS employee just scanned the UPC for the console not the GS price sticker. The console rang up as $39.99.

You should try asking for a price check.

[quote name='L0ST3489']Anyone have any luck in New Jersey anywhere, everywhere that I have called says we only have used they have not made new ones in years.[/QUOTE]

brother got the last one at tice's corner and at rt 17 paramus earlier in the week... no one else around rockland/north jersey had any...said the rt 17 paramus employees were really pushy asking how he knew about it and trying to shove a warranty and additional games/controllers...

I saw a white PS2 at my local store. Hopefully they have the Singstar bundle. I also saw several MW3 HEs for $80. I thought that by now they would have sold out.

Hmm my local gamestop has the singstar bundle new still and it's marked to $40 also.

Edit: and luckily it's one my friend is the manager so she's holding it for me.

I called 3 Gamestops and they don't even sell them new anymore, they're all refurbished. I still bought 1 for my cousin's bday, games are really cheap now.

I'm so tired of calling and being ridiculed. If you don't have it, just say you don't. Don't lecture me on "Oh those are rare hahaha, you'll never find one unless you look online," or "A white PS2?" because they've never heard of them. If anyone in Texas finds more than one, message me. I want one.

While picking up a copy of Rage I asked about a new PS2 and to my surprise they had a blak one and a white one new. At that point the girl helping turned to the other worker and asked "aren't you buying the white one?" then proceeded to tell me that they had one black one lol. I personally wanted the black one better anyway because all my consoles are black but that was douchey as hell right? Anyway bought the black one and left shitty GameStop.

[quote name='icarusmight'] Anyway bought the black one and left shitty GameStop.[/QUOTE]

If GameStop is so shitty, go back and return your purchases. Then go to Best Buy and pay $100 for your new PS2.

[quote name='oasisboy']If GameStop is so shitty, go back and return your purchases. Then go to Best Buy and pay $100 for your new PS2.[/QUOTE]

What the employees did WAS shitty.

[quote name='jjjbadboy32']What the employees did WAS shitty.[/QUOTE]

So the actions of ONE employee represent the entire company?

If I wanted the other console, I would have asked for a manager. If that did not work, then I would have asked for the contact info of a district manager. There are ways of dealing with shitty employees.

I had a shitty manager at Best Buy give me hell over a 40 inch tv that was defective. Did I call Best Buy shitty because of that? Nope. I know it was only a shitty manager being a bitch.

[quote name='oasisboy']So the actions of ONE employee represent the entire company?

If I wanted the other console, I would have asked for a manager. If that did not work, then I would have asked for the contact info of a district manager. There are ways of dealing with shitty employees.

I had a shitty manager at Best Buy give me hell over a 40 inch tv that was defective. Did I call Best Buy shitty because of that? Nope. I know it was only a shitty manager being a bitch.[/QUOTE]

Hey get off that dudes nuts thats his opinion if he calls it shitty then let him alot of people agree with him anyways theres a big thread on this forum about how gamestop sucks

[quote name='oasisboy']If GameStop is so shitty, go back and return your purchases. Then go to Best Buy and pay $100 for your new PS2.[/QUOTE]
I didn't realize that you worked at GameStop. And GameStop isn't "so shitty" it's just a regular amount of shitty. I also might do what you said and return it because that is a perfectly logical option you proposed!

[quote name='oasisboy']So the actions of ONE employee represent the entire company?

I had a shitty manager at Best Buy give me hell over a 40 inch tv that was defective. Did I call Best Buy shitty because of that? Nope. I know it was only a shitty manager being a bitch.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop employees are consistently pieces of shit, it wasn't just his case.

Also, which gamestop do you work at?

[quote name='icarusmight']While picking up a copy of Rage I asked about a new PS2 and to my surprise they had a blak one and a white one new. At that point the girl helping turned to the other worker and asked "aren't you buying the white one?" then proceeded to tell me that they had one black one lol. I personally wanted the black one better anyway because all my consoles are black but that was douchey as hell right? Anyway bought the black one and left shitty GameStop.[/QUOTE]

Hell, I would've loved to have that white one, so if it had been me, I probably would've raised up a storm to try and get it, only about 30% out of spite.

And yes, gamestop employees are consistently shitty, so I think it's fair to generalize in this case.

[quote name='gepet0']Laurel md baltimore ave had some although there was some funny looks when I asked about them..[/QUOTE]

I was able to grab a black one from here. Thanks.

I was able to snag an extra white PS2 Singstar bundle. If anyone is interested you can PM me.

Edit: Got a few Pm's about to respond now. But wanted to put an update. I opened the first one and it was missing the power brick. Called the gamestop I got it from and I'm getting another brick tommorow they are going to take one from a used system and give it to me.

So as a precaution I opened the other one to make sure everything was in there. So the seal is broke but it's still new and everything is in that one.

[quote name='plutoknight']That is such a good idea that I dunno why I never thought of that. Darn! :/.

I thought about calling corporate, but I and many other denizens of this town (its the only gamestop within ~30 miles in any direction) have had similar experiences over the years and complained about them and he's still there so, I figure its not worth the effort at this point.[/QUOTE]

A few phones call will not get a manager fired. Imagine if you were a manager and 3 people decided to make false accusations to get you in trouble. Would it be fair to fire you? Obviously, I am not excusing the douche who gave you shit, but you should call GameStop corporate and let them know exactly all the shit you have put up with from the asshole. 1-800-883-8895.

You should demand a follow up from a District Manager or someone who will make it right. You will get a call back. Anyway, my 2 cents.

[quote name='SInX4Lyfe']Hey get off that dudes nuts thats his opinion if he calls it shitty then let him alot of people agree with him anyways theres a big thread on this forum about how gamestop sucks[/QUOTE]

Nobody is riding someone's nuts that was just my opinion as well.

[quote name='icarusmight']I didn't realize that you worked at GameStop. And GameStop isn't "so shitty" it's just a regular amount of shitty. I also might do what you said and return it because that is a perfectly logical option you proposed![/QUOTE]

Wrong. Used to work at GameStop. If Gamestop is a regular amount of shit then don't buy there. Oh wait, you want a new PS2 console for $40, excuse me. I guess you like shit since you are a customer of the company. Yeah, if you feel GameStop is so bad, don't buy there. Go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart or Amazon and buy it from them for $100. They have amazing customer service that is so worth paying the extra $60.

[quote name='Yamato']Gamestop employees are consistently pieces of shit, it wasn't just his case.

Also, which gamestop do you work at?[/QUOTE]

Dude, you should see the "winners" at Wal-Mart or the "I know more than you and you should buy this TV" employee at Best Buy. Point is, every retailer has bad employees, get over it. Again, let capitalism rule the world. Don't like, don't buy. You are not helping by spending $40 on a console.

Just think about this for one moment (if both of you have a brain). If GameStop is "so bad" and goes out of business, where are you going to find these types of deals? Not Wal-Mart who rarely has deals or Best Buy (unless they go out of business like Circuit City). Also, Who is going to take the beat up garbage of thousands of people and give credit? Definitely not amazon nor Best Buy.

[quote name='oasisboy']Nobody is riding someone's nuts that was just my opinion as well.

Wrong. Used to work at GameStop. If Gamestop is a regular amount of shit then don't buy there. Oh wait, you want a new PS2 console for $40, excuse me. I guess you like shit since you are a customer of the company. Yeah, if you feel GameStop is so bad, don't buy there. Go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart or Amazon and buy it from them for $100. They have amazing customer service that is so worth paying the extra $60.

Dude, you should see the "winners" at Wal-Mart or the "I know more than you and you should buy this TV" employee at Best Buy. Point is, every retailer has bad employees, get over it. Again, let capitalism rule the world. Don't like, don't buy. You are not helping by spending $40 on a console.

Just think about this for one moment (if both of you have a brain). If GameStop is "so bad" and goes out of business, where are you going to find these types of deals? Not Wal-Mart who rarely has deals or Best Buy (unless they go out of business like Circuit City). Also, Who is going to take the beat up garbage of thousands of people and give credit? Definitely not amazon nor Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop rarely has deals that are worth wild. Their deals are generally pretty poor unless its a buy 2 get 1 free deal and even then most of the time in store they mark up the prices of their used games during the sale.
Its funny because I never run into employees at best buy or walmart who try to sell me something. They're generally too busy helping someone else anyways. At gamestop, when they're not screwing around talking to people like its their break, they're trying to sell me something I don't want. I know its their job to do so but then there are a few employees who act like you're committing some great sin by not buying the 150 dollar collector versions of some game.

[quote name='blankempathy']

1. Gamestop rarely has deals that are worth wild. Their deals are generally pretty poor unless its a buy 2 get 1 free deal and even then most of the time in store they mark up the prices of their used games during the sale.

2. Its funny because I never run into employees at best buy or walmart who try to sell me something. They're generally too busy helping someone else anyways.

3. At gamestop, when they're not screwing around talking to people like its their break, they're trying to sell me something I don't want. I know its their job to do so but then there are a few employees who act like you're committing some great sin by not buying the 150 dollar collector versions of some game.[/QUOTE]

1. A new PS2 console for $40 is a damn good deal. Rage for $20 that's another deal. Also, where else would you find CE deals? You keep forgetting GameStop is the only place where they will take your garbage for trade-in. How many "MSRP" deals does Wal-Mart have every week?

2. Have you been to every single Wal-Mart and Best Buy in the country? I will invite you to visit the Wal-Mart in Edmond, OK and try to get help from ANY employee. Or better yet, go to customer service to pick up your online order and see how long it takes to have an employee actually help you. When it comes to Best Buy, go to the one in Brownsville, TX and see what type of employees you get. Come on, make a visit to those stores and let me know how it goes.

3. Go to GameStop in Southlake, TX and let me know if employees try to sell you a $150 CE. As a FYI, that's the store the CEO likes to visit every now and then.

Point is, and I will say it for a 3rd time. All chains have shitty employees but lots of people like to bash GameStop since it is cool to do so (but they will run to their local store for a new PS2 for $40). I think I had more bad experiences at Best Buy than any other store... yet I love Best Buy since they have great selection of games, movies and electronics.

[quote name='oasisboy']

Just think about this for one moment (if both of you have a brain). If GameStop is "so bad" and goes out of business, where are you going to find these types of deals? Not Wal-Mart who rarely has deals or Best Buy (unless they go out of business like Circuit City). Also, Who is going to take the beat up garbage of thousands of people and give credit? Definitely not amazon nor Best Buy.[/QUOTE]
Your argument is invalid because I do not shop at shitty fucking piece of shit hellhole gamestop.

[quote name='Yamato']Your argument is invalid because I do not shop at shitty fucking piece of shit hellhole gamestop.[/QUOTE]

How about we keep this thread on track you guys?

The stores I visited knew exactly what I was referring to but they said that they sold out of new PS2 systems during the holiday season.

[quote name='Gosha']How about we keep this thread on track you guys?[/QUOTE]

On track? This thread is just a bunch of people either saying "yep i got one" or "no, couldn't find any". There's nothing productive going on here.

Regardless, I'm done. In fact, let me ask you guys a question.

What PS2 games are you buying these consoles for? Are you looking to replay some titles, or what?

[quote name='Yamato']On track? This thread is just a bunch of people either saying "yep i got one" or "no, couldn't find any". There's nothing productive going on here.

What PS2 games are you buying these consoles for? Are you looking to replay some titles, or what?[/QUOTE]
If I bought one of these, I'd most likely be buying it to pick up the classic game collections at the next B2G2 that GS has, like the Midway's Arcade Treasures collections.

I tried playing San Andreas on the PS2 I got from Target for $50 a while ago on clearance and I felt like my eyes were gonna start bleeding at any moment. That's how :puke: it looked to me.:whistle2:# Yet I played almost 200 hours in the game back when all I had was a PS2 and Xbox.

[quote name='Yamato']On track? This thread is just a bunch of people either saying "yep i got one" or "no, couldn't find any". There's nothing productive going on here.

What PS2 games are you buying these consoles for? Are you looking to replay some titles, or what?[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna restart FFXII since I never finished it. Got 36 hours in and the my game save got stolen along with my old console. Gonna play on an old CRT that I haven't used in a while so hopefully it helps the jaggies I would see on my LED.

I struck out in Oklahoma. No PS2's were found.

I really want one before these bad boys are discontinued. Anyone willing to ship me one? If so, how much and can you PM me or something?

They had a huge stack of used ones, all black. Strangely, they were out of Wii's too as I asked about the backwards compatible Wii's. The had a huge stock pile of PS3 and Xbox though.

Felt strange, but the employees were nice. Had not been inside a gamestop in what must be near a decade now. I think college... 2005?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I bought one of these, I'd most likely be buying it to pick up the classic game collections at the next B2G2 that GS has, like the Midway's Arcade Treasures collections.

I tried playing San Andreas on the PS2 I got from Target for $50 a while ago on clearance and I felt like my eyes were gonna start bleeding at any moment. That's how :puke: it looked to me.:whistle2:# Yet I played almost 200 hours in the game back when all I had was a PS2 and Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I got the Xbox Originals version of it or whatever on 360 when it was on sale for $5 and couldn't play it for that same reason.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I bought one of these, I'd most likely be buying it to pick up the classic game collections at the next B2G2 that GS has, like the Midway's Arcade Treasures collections.

I tried playing San Andreas on the PS2 I got from Target for $50 a while ago on clearance and I felt like my eyes were gonna start bleeding at any moment. That's how :puke: it looked to me.:whistle2:# Yet I played almost 200 hours in the game back when all I had was a PS2 and Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Did you unban yourself from gamestop? ;)

I don't know if this has been re-released on ps3, but GTA Vice City is a great PS2 game. I am not usually a fan of GTA type games but GTA 3 and Vice City are worth playing.

Kingdom Hearts and the Shin Megami Tensi Series are good too.

bread's done
Back