New PS2 Slims Converted to Used (GS 39.99)

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everyone, sorry if this is old news. Gamestop has started to convert all their new PS2 Slims to Used (without breaking the seals on it). So that means that it's going for 39.99 now for brand new Slims. YMMV, but it's confirmed in Davis, CA and has been confirmed by another member also. Apparently they just received the email the other day to begin the process. Good luck!

[quote name='blindinglights']Thanks so much to the guy who said they converted new PS2s to used at Gamestop this week. Just picked up a brand new sealed one for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheJayxor392']New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just scored a silver one in Richmond Va at Short Pump Village. They have 1 new black slim left if anyone is looking in the Richmond area.

[quote name='str8gamer23']Does anyone know where I can score cheap PS2 games??

Gamestop seemed a little pricey[/QUOTE]

Right now, Best Buy has buy 2 get 1 free on used games. Lots for $4.99 plus tax and, more than likely, free shipping.

[quote name='Gosha']There are actually a surprising amount of good cheap PS2 games at Gamestop...

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/playstation-2?nav=138b-162

Alot in the .99-$4.99 range.

For instance...

http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/zone-of-the-enders/6927
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/space-channel-5-special-edition/29137
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/wild-arms-3/21086
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/kings-field-the-ancient-city/17551
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/killer-7/33106
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/dokapon-kingdom/72280[/QUOTE]

Ooo... Thanks for the tip! Also, I thought I read they take scratched up games. So, the resell damaged games? If so, I don't think I'd waste my time buying from them online.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Ooo... Thanks for the tip! Also, I thought I read they take scratched up games. So, the resell damaged games? If so, I don't think I'd waste my time buying from them online.[/QUOTE]

Good plan.

In my experience, which I will admit might be totally different than anyone else's, they send back the scratched/cracked/broken/smeared (eeeew) discs to the online warehouse to send out, because they know you'll be less likely to deal with returning it. Sure, you can just take it back to a store, but then you have to deal with if they have a replacement in stock, etc.

I have almost never received a "clean" disc buying used at Gamestop.com, and only 1 time can remember receiving a complete copy of a used game (game, disc, manual).

Way more trouble than it's worth to buy online when you can't see exactly what you're buying, since Gamestop will take anything, as long as it's round. Doesn't even have to be shiny anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Justin42']Good plan.

In my experience, which I will admit might be totally different than anyone else's, they send back the scratched/cracked/broken/smeared (eeeew) discs to the online warehouse to send out, because they know you'll be less likely to have to deal with returning it. Sure, you can just take it back to a store, but then you have to deal with if they have a replacement in stock, etc.

I have almost never received a "clean" disc buying used at Gamestop, and only 1 time can remember receiving a complete copy of a used game (game, disc, manual).

Way more trouble than it's worth to buy online when you can't see exactly what you're buying, since Gamestop will take anything, as long as it's round. Doesn't even have to be shiny anymore.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:# Smeared! They must have had some 'other' video going on and got some on the disc!
OMG! DEFINATELY, instore for Gamestop!!!!!!

Thanks!

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Ooo... Thanks for the tip! Also, I thought I read they take scratched up games. So, the resell damaged games? If so, I don't think I'd waste my time buying from them online.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its worth just looking up the cheap games and seeing if they have any in local stores. In stores you can at least slide the discs out of the disc sleeves and check the condition. I believe in store Gamestop has thrown out cases/manuals for games $4.99 and below. Videogameinstructionbooklets.com has good specials on PS2 game cases/manuals/artwork, so if you combine how cheap these games are with bulk ordering replacement cases/manuals, you can get a pretty big PS2 collection going for cheap.

Most of the cases/manuals that Gamestop throws out, I've noticed employees just reselling them on ebay, which I don't blame them.

[quote name='Gosha']I believe in store Gamestop has thrown out cases/manuals for games $4.99 and below.[/QUOTE]

you're right and it is another reason why I dislike GameStop.

That's smart. In addition ps2 games from gamestop.com usually have generic gs art and cases. In store you can ask to look at the discs before you buy. Most of my stores got rid of alltheir ps2 cases but a couplebigger gs stores stillhave ps2 cases with boxart.

[quote name='Gosha'] I believe in store Gamestop has thrown out cases/manuals for games $4.99 and below.[/QUOTE]
Not every Gamestop has. Some by me and some I've been to out of state have had complete games $4.99 and under. It just depends on how much room a store has, I believe. So if your local GS stores are all shoebox size, then it's more likely you'll find disc only crap.

wow this thread got hijacked..I'm gonna stay on topic, was anyone able to find anymore PS2s (new) today or is everything converted to the used Gamestop box now?

[quote name='CaoPi']wow this thread got hijacked..I'm gonna stay on topic, was anyone able to find anymore PS2s (new) today or is everything converted to the used Gamestop box now?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to check 2-3 more GS after work today because I'd really like a silver or white PS2 slim.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on an *Official* Sony-branded ceramic white memory card or the Sony-branded white stand?

I've scoured all over the net to no avail.

Thanks!

Ugh! Thanks ya'll! I think I will stick to Best Buy and eBay for used PS2 games! Even though, my first Best Buy purchase has 1 of the games as disc only! Minimum, it's supposed to have the original case. I will call them. eBay, however, has done me well. Some sellers have massive stores on there with cheap, complete games.

[quote name='CaoPi']wow this thread got hijacked..I'm gonna stay on topic, was anyone able to find anymore PS2s (new) today or is everything converted to the used Gamestop box now?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I used the link and was able to find a toy story 3 edition The seal was btroken but he said it was broken on all of them. He showed me another it was broke/ I was initially sideeyeing him but he said it was new.

I guess that is there was of saying it is officlallly used. I also picked up y's 1&2 premium new for 19.99

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Ugh! Thanks ya'll! I think I will stick to Best Buy and eBay for used PS2 games! Even though, my first Best Buy purchase has 1 of the games as disc only! Minimum, it's supposed to have the original case. I will call them. eBay, however, has done me well. Some sellers have massive stores on there with cheap, complete games.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy actually buffs super scratched games. Could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Like this one?> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-So...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4cfdd3a22f[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, no. I've seen that memory card quite a bit labeled as "official"; but it isn't. I'm fairly certain that is a MadCatz or something.

This is what the official white Sony card should look like:

PA.03744.002.jpg

Just saw this post. Cool deal if you can find a sealed PS2 console.

Question, why is everyone looking for the Singing Star white PS2 bundle?

Out of the 3 PS2 white, silver, black consoles, what is the best one to keep? (Rare,etc.)

Anyone can point out some good PS2 games?

[quote name='gepet0']Yeah I used the link and was able to find a toy story 3 edition The seal was btroken but he said it was broken on all of them. He showed me another it was broke/ I was initially sideeyeing him but he said it was new.

I guess that is there was of saying it is officlallly used. I also picked up y's 1&2 premium new for 19.99[/QUOTE]

Nice find on the bundle. Did you look at the console and compare the info. to the box? I dont understand why they would break the seal, but leave it in their box instand of putting it in their Gamestop crap box.

[quote name='The Punisher']Just saw this post. Cool deal if you can find a sealed PS2 console.

Question, why is everyone looking for the Singing Star white PS2 bundle?

Out of the 3 PS2 white, silver, black consoles, what is the best one to keep? (Rare,etc.)

Anyone can point out some good PS2 games?[/QUOTE]

The white is the hardest one to come by, and it's easily the sexiest of the bunch ;) I think that's why most people are trying to find one.

Good PS2 games? Some people have already posted in this thread, but some series to keep an eye open for:

Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Persona
Suikoden
Metal Gear
Grand Theft Auto
Ico/SotC
Ratchet & Clank
Jak and Daxter
Star Ocean
Xeno-
etc, etc

[quote name='The Punisher']Nice find on the bundle. Did you look at the console and compare the info. to the box? I dont understand why they would break the seal, but leave it in their box instand of putting it in their Gamestop crap box.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I took a peek inside and it is new. He said he had a few. I didn't want to be el hoardo. One is enough. The original sku date is 02/01/07

[quote name='mattcube64']The white is the hardest one to come by, and it's easily the sexiest of the bunch ;) I think that's why most people are trying to find one.

Good PS2 games? Some people have already posted in this thread, but some series to keep an eye open for:

Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Persona
Suikoden
Metal Gear
Grand Theft Auto
Ico/SotC
Ratchet & Clank
Jak and Daxter
Star Ocean
Xeno-
etc, etc[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Someone gave me a silver PS2 years ago. (I still have my phat one and still running strong from day one) I did find a black slim at gamestop, but not sure if i want to keep it. (I had Gamestop credit to use and was thinking of keeping as a spare)
Should I hold on to it and later upload it on ebay? (Dont let ebay and not sure cost of shipping)

I never played Ratchet and Clank. The only ones i saw was commando and size matters. Are they any good and is it worth getting at Gamestop? Was thinking of getting it on amazon or best buy if they have it online.

I know this will be a bit off topic, but anyone xenogears? Is their a game like that on PS2?

[quote name='gepet0']Yeah I took a peek inside and it is new. He said he had a few. I didn't want to be el hoardo. One is enough. The original sku date is 02/01/07[/QUOTE]

That's good. The date is 2/1/07? You sure?
Didnt the toy story 3 bundle come out in 2010?

Well I picked 1 up last night at a Gamestop at the Irvine Spectrum last night. It came with the Gamestop box but the system was brand spanking new and even the employee told me that he had converted it himself and that I got the last new one they had. To me not having the original box was not a deal breaker since it still is a new system as opposed to used. Considering the fact that my original launch PS2 began having the infamous "disc read error" I'm more than happy to have picked this slim version for less than a new ps3 game.

[quote name='The Punisher']That's good. The date is 2/1/07? You sure?
Didnt the toy story 3 bundle come out in 022010?[/QUOTE]

The other date on it says 052011css

Not sure what to make of it.

[quote name='gepet0']The other date on it says 052011css

Not sure what to make of it.[/QUOTE]

Here is a link to see what model you have.

http://www.ps2cover.com/pages/PS2-Model-Identification-PS2-Model-Numbers.html

The toy story 3 bundle came out in 2010. So The Console should say SCPH-9000XX CB (CB means color black)

The reason why I asked was because some people say that they got it new at Gamestop which is YMMV. Gamestop probably did put the left over new slims in their Gamestop box, but difficult to tell. Its kind of like when they try to sell a new copy of a game as gutted or used, but its just no way to tell on a console unless the console has minor or major scratches, etc on it.
Still, a good price without dealing with shipping.

[quote name='Nogib']That would be because you linked a PS1 memory card.[/QUOTE]

Damn you perfect Google!:cry: You let me down. I will remember to read closer next time instead of trusting that Google knows what a PS2 is!

[quote name='Gosha']I believe in store Gamestop has thrown out cases/manuals for games $4.99 and below. [/QUOTE]

One store near me still has some older games with cases, I think (or at least did for a while), but, overall, yes, it's true. I was in a Gamestop once when the manager was stripping all the old ps2 games and had a big pile of cases and booklets on the floor behind her headed to the trash. She said they got the go ahead to do it to clear up inventory room for new games.

After striking out at 12 stores near my home, today I remembered a store near my workplace that I somehow overlooked. I went in, and they had one last PS2, still in its original box with an unbroken seal. Oddly, the employee said their system still rang it up as new, but it was at the proper $39.99 price anyway. (He did say that actual used PS2s were $29.99 at their store.) Now I can finally get around to finishing Suikoden V and Odin Sphere!

I got the last one at my local store, it is a plain jane charcoal/black model but I'll take it. One of the employees said another employee purchased the last Toy Story 3 bundle as soon as they dropped. Thanks OP!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']FYI: Best Buy may also be clearing out the slim PS2's as well now. Unfortunately they were still marked MSRP when I was in there just before Black Friday and now they're all gone.[/QUOTE]

I checked my BB tonight, they are down to four Toy Story 3 bundles but they are still at $99. Probably YMMV, yours could have been shipped elswhere, clearanced, stored in the back.

Is there any special reason people are looking for the white PS2 over the black PS2? I know the white comes with SingStar, but is there any difference between the two colors in terms of hardware?

[quote name='rapsodist']Is there any special reason people are looking for the white PS2 over the black PS2? I know the white comes with SingStar, but is there any difference between the two colors in terms of hardware?[/QUOTE]

push/eject buttons are cheaper on the 9000 and different vents locations otherwise nothing different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkLV0ekdb3Y

[quote name='rapsodist']Is there any special reason people are looking for the white PS2 over the black PS2? I know the white comes with SingStar, but is there any difference between the two colors in terms of hardware?[/QUOTE]
I believe people are looking for it because it's a harder to find model and may be worth more later on should they get rid of it.

Another relative wanted one, had to drive out of the city today 25 miles out to folsom! The box was a little beat up but the cashier opened it up in front of me to show that everything was unused!

Time for fire up my PS2 with some Devil Saga games, I still haven't finished Persona 3 or 4 either...

Nice, me getting a new ps2, thanks to the thief that broke into my house last year and got away with my ps2 , wii and psp.Time to get back , what was mine, for $40.

[quote name='hcamacho']Nice, me getting a new ps2, thanks to the thief that broke into my house last year and got away with my ps2 , wii and psp.Time to get back , what was mine, for $40.[/QUOTE]

You got one in PR? I tried Plaza Las Americas and Escorial and got tired.

[quote name='prateeko']Sorry I'm getting to the thread late but is it better to call and ask for something specific or just drive out?[/QUOTE]

i would say it its close enough, just make the drive.

Yeah make the drive if the store is close because I have gotten of lot of uninformed employees when I call. If the store is far away, you may want to call to explain how the remaining new stock has been converted to used, and you may get a helpful/informed employee (the system I found was still in the original box with the seal intact so he found it rather quickly)

[quote name='bruceg']Yeah make the drive if the store is close because I have gotten of lot of uninformed employees when I call. If the store is far away, you may want to call to explain how the remaining new stock has been converted to used, and you may get a helpful/informed employee (the system I found was still in the original box with the seal intact so he found it rather quickly)[/QUOTE]

yea that's what I did, ask for the "new converted to used PS2s!" If you ask for new PS2s straight up, they will say they have none in stock!

I have a couple close by and then a lot of stores within driving distance. Is there a specific SKU they use or just the general 'Used PS2' one?

I called Gamestop in Killingly, CT and asked if they carried any New PS2's, and the employee was informed and knowledgable enough to explain the whole "selling new as used" situation to me. He said they had "tons in stock" so I picked up a couple in the original boxes, seals intact. They were storing them in the back.

-Doug

I grabbed a few myself. Im gonna keep them in the box as long as i can. At this rate ill be buried with a new ps2 since im still on my original launch one.
Buy now, sell later.

bread's done
Back