New PS2 Slims Converted to Used (GS 39.99)

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everyone, sorry if this is old news. Gamestop has started to convert all their new PS2 Slims to Used (without breaking the seals on it). So that means that it's going for 39.99 now for brand new Slims. YMMV, but it's confirmed in Davis, CA and has been confirmed by another member also. Apparently they just received the email the other day to begin the process. Good luck!

[quote name='blindinglights']Thanks so much to the guy who said they converted new PS2s to used at Gamestop this week. Just picked up a brand new sealed one for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheJayxor392']New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Needles-Kane']PS1 and PS2 survival horror games. I'm thinking of getting one because that is what my collection primarily is. Only problem is I will probably never use it and I hate putting my precious discs on that awful snap on spindle- it has cracked 2 of my other games. I won't use it as a DVD player either because of this (at least expensive multidisc sets like Twilight Zone).[/QUOTE]
My one buddy has been using one of these snap on spindle PStwos for at least several years now and with games in deplorable shape from Gamestop. How do you normally put in and/or remove the game/DVD discs? I ask because he always grabs them around the edge with his thumb and ring finger and then uses either his index or middle finger to 'pop' the disc off the spindle when taking them out.

He hasn't had one single issue. Just wondering is all.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']My one buddy has been using one of these snap on spindle PStwos for at least several years now and with games in deplorable shape from Gamestop. How do you normally put in and/or remove the game/DVD discs? I ask because he always grabs them around the edge with his thumb and ring finger and then uses either his index or middle finger to 'pop' the disc off the spindle when taking them out.

He hasn't had one single issue. Just wondering is all.[/QUOTE]
That's how I do it, and I've never had an issue with any device that used the 'snap on' spindle. I'd say I have less issues with them, as the disc doesn't shift inside, even if the device is bumped, so it doesn't scratch. I'm pretty sure this is the correct method (if there is one) since the 'snap on' spindles usually have like a button on them to release the disc when you press the spindle with your index finger.

[quote name='IzzyF3']Thanks op.

I called a GS and they told me they had the newly converted consoles. I went and the employee told me they gutted all of the consoles cuz they can't sell them as new. He said he would give me a random box because it would take too long to check all of the consoles to see which ones were new. I said no thank you and he subsequently said sorry man with an attitude.

I don't understand why GS employees tend to give their customers a hard time. I mean, why would he lie about gutting all of boxes? Why wouldn't he sell me the console when the sale was practically guaranteed?

Anyway, so I went to the nearest GS and they had a couple of the consoles in its sealed box with the "new" stickers still on. The employee wouldn't let me buy it with the B2G1 deal, but that's all right.

Finally got a new PS2 for a great price after my old one got stolen. Still got a bunch of Shin Megami Tensei games to play.[/QUOTE]

Dont assume that he's lying, there's a good chance that his manager instructed him to gut them. Its all YMMV. I was at a Gamestop today and apparently they "half gutted" the new systems there, in which they cracked the seals and slapped on a used sticker but kept them in the original box.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']My one buddy has been using one of these snap on spindle PStwos for at least several years now and with games in deplorable shape from Gamestop. How do you normally put in and/or remove the game/DVD discs? I ask because he always grabs them around the edge with his thumb and ring finger and then uses either his index or middle finger to 'pop' the disc off the spindle when taking them out.

He hasn't had one single issue. Just wondering is all.[/QUOTE]

I remove the discs the same way that I would from a laptop drive. Also I have mistakenly cracked 360 games before, this was near the center of the whole. 360 games are usually easier to crack from my exp...

[quote name='Link927']Dont assume that he's lying, there's a good chance that his manager instructed him to gut them. Its all YMMV. I was at a Gamestop today and apparently they "half gutted" the new systems there, in which they cracked the seals and slapped on a used sticker but kept them in the original box.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I shouldn't assume he's lying. He just got on my nerves from the get go. He already gave me an attitude when I asked for the new consoles sold as used, asking me, "Where did you hear that from?!" as if I was crazy. I told him it was all over the nets and he continued with his unfriendly service.

But here is what I find extra puzzling. When I was on the phone with them, they had said the consoles were still sealed and were limited to 1 per customer. Now I can forgive the "still sealed" part since he probably didn't fully understand what I was asking, but he emphasized that they were limited to 1 per customer. Why were they limiting used consoles that they had no idea whether they were the newly converted consoles or not?

Of course, the GS that I eventually bought one from let me buy as many as they had, but I refused a 2nd one since the B2G1 wasn't going to work.

But just to relay what the employee had said assuming he's telling the truth for those who wants to know, that particular store were purposely sabotaging their new ps2s by fully gutting it and putting them in generic used console boxes and throwing the originals away. This was because they couldn't sell new consoles as used.

Wow, I feel like that's such a waste. Why throw away a perfectly good PS2 box or gut them. My local gamestop had them sealed and everything.

I msged my friend who is a manager at a local Gamestop. They said the following...

"Yea they did and we had 3 systems that I repackaged yesterday so I would think we should still have them, check the date on the sticker to find out if it's the right one, date would be on the top right of the sticker, should say 012112msr"

So if they did gut them and move them to used boxes, it would have a recent date on them. They'd probably let you open them up and check them out first.

[quote name='DCpinoy']Wow, I feel like that's such a waste. Why throw away a perfectly good PS2 box or gut them. My local gamestop had them sealed and everything.[/QUOTE]
It depends on the district probably. There's some DM's(i.e. the dickwad around here:roll:) who do it 'by the book' and expect all of the employees at their stores to follow the rules to the letter.

When stuff pennies, they're supposed to destroy it completely. When stuff is converted over to used(games or in this case consoles), then they're supposed to open the packages and if it's an LE game destroy/throw away the extras from them.

I remember when GS was eliminating all of the classic plastic(PS1/SNES/Genesis/etc games), the one store manager told me their DM had ordered every store that had cases of the stuff to hold it so he could go around and personally assure that the items were obliterated. That same manager said the DM seemed to take a sick pleasure in snapping the board/card inside old cartridge games.

Of course, when I was still allowed to shop/trade in Gamestop's stores I couldn't even tell you the number of times they either missed some guides/games/items and then offered them up if I brought them up. Not to mention some of the stores would reward you with some shit they were gonna throw out anyway if you helped their pre-order numbers.

I got many a guide that way in the last couple of years.;)

Haha yeah I understand, it just sucks. But as you said, its just business to some people. I guess it helps to have a good relationship with your local Gamestop at times.

A guy at gamestop brough out the preowned boxes and said "we moved them from new to these boxes". I said "Why would you do that?" . He didn't have any reply. I said "no, thank you" and left.

Walked into my gamestop not even thinking about this since I was returning some used games, took a look at the floor near the pc games and they had about 6 or 7 boxes stacked up of the slim ps2s...on the top was a brand new one sealed (black). So I looked at the gf and said "Kingdom Hearts?" she looked back at me and said "**** YEA!!" so I grabbed it. The rest could of been new but with converted boxes I didnt bother checking. The one I got even still had the PS seal sticker on it, when I opened it everything was still wrapped in default packaging, so im 100% sure it is brand new. 50 bucks I walked out with the new PS2, Kingdom Hearts 1 (was gonna get 2 but they didnt have it), and a PS2 32mb memory card.

This was in West Dundee, IL at the Springhill Mall location, if your in the area dont go to the one outside of the mall, they dont carry anything ps2 at all anymore.

PS: Was funny asking for the memory card, the dude reached behind the counter and pulled out a giant basket filled to the brim so I just went through them and found the biggest capacity one lol.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']The ps2 I picked up had an all white sticker running over where the Sony seal is. Is that something Gamestop put on the box?[/QUOTE]

Probably. Not sure about the white PS2, but if it was the black console the seal is just a thin strip of white tape with "PlayStation" printed all over it.

One store that I checked yesterday repackaged the systems. The employee refused to look to find one of the recently repackaged ones. Luckily, in the same district, I was able to find a new system in the original box that was still sealed so I'm thinking it may be up to the store manager instead of the DM.

From a sales point of view, it is absolutely dumb to repackage the systems, but GameStop seems to not think things through. I can see doing it on the Toy Story and SingStar bundles, but on the core systems its pretty dumb. If someone walks in and asks for a new ps2 system, you still have the ability to sell a system. Also, the PS2 boxes are basically the same size as their used boxes so there are not saving space.

pick up a new sealed ceramic white ps2 sing star edition
at my local gamestop in "lakewood colorado"
they had 2 in stock and a new and sealed "fat ps2"
i couldnt believe it but he show'd me it the new blue box "FAT PS2" that system must b like 9 years old

[quote name='Paladinion']PS: Was funny asking for the memory card, the dude reached behind the counter and pulled out a giant basket filled to the brim so I just went through them and found the biggest capacity one lol.[/QUOTE]
Does it say Sony on it? Or Max Memory? I ask because I bought one of these Max Memory ones when I first got a PS2(in 2001) and it was a total pos. Every time I went to save something it would say it had to format the card and would do that EVERY time I'd go to use it.

Maybe they improved how those third party cards function since then, but I'd test that card out as soon as possible to make sure you didn't end up with a dud.

I am guessing they are repackaging the systems because they don't want resellers grabbing them all up but they probably want all their inventory gone from the store. Makes no sense though if they want their inventory gone. A PS2 new in package probably fetches more than $40 on ebay so this would be a big opportunity for resellers.

If I remember correctly with the bigger memory cards you have to insert a regular Sony 8MB card into them to even get them to work, at least that was the case with the one I had. Otherwise it seemed to work fine. There are some people who won't trust a 3rd party PS1 or PS2 memory card though. Sears had new in package PS2 memory cards for $5 on clearance just a few months ago, if you look around there might still be some at the stores.

[quote name='Blaster man']So if GS is dumping it, does that mean that Sony is finally going to discontinue it this year?[/QUOTE]

Hard to say....Over the last few years the PS2 has entered other markets such as brazil and others, so the odds are they are still going to be making PS2s for the near future for these new markets at a minimum. And if this is the case, it is quite possible they will keep supplying the US and other markets with PS2 hardware as long as folks want it. It will probably disappear out of brick and mortal retail stores this year, but with online retailers now well established, it isn't necessary to kill off the line just because retail stores don't want to carry it. Best Buy.com, amazon and newegg could supply the limited market for hardware easily enough, and the margins on PS2 hardware are likely quite good for Sony (unlike most of their current products). After all, Sony only killed off its cassette walkmans last year and they still sell analog transistor radios.

I got lucky. Out of the three stores near me, one had a new white Singstar system, that confirmed to be $40.They didn't even take it out of the box, which is still factory sealed.

Pic:
20120123133514801.jpg
2012_01_23_13_35_14_801.jpg

[quote name='milehighshooter']pick up a new sealed ceramic white ps2 sing star edition
at my local gamestop in "lakewood colorado"
they had 2 in stock and a new and sealed "fat ps2"
i couldnt believe it but he show'd me it the new blue box "FAT PS2" that system must b like 9 years old[/QUOTE]

Are you joking about the fat PS2? If not I hope you picked it up because they fetch over $100 on ebay even on the worst days.

I keep hearing of people calling, but isn't that the first rule to getting a deal. Do not call.
Instead, drive there and ask (unless they're out in the open).
There're plenty of shady employees working there. Most will not even bother looking before giving you an answer. At least if you drive there, they'll have to pretend to look for you.

Picked up one, got a new SCPH 90001. Was in a gamestop box, but no biggy. Everything was still sealed in it's packaging otherwise.

I was just wondering, can you use a vertical stand on the 90001?

[quote name='dragonjud']I keep hearing of people calling, but isn't that the first rule to getting a deal. Do not call.
There're plenty of shady employees working there. Most will not even bother looking before giving you an answer. At least if you drive there, they'll have to pretend to look for you.[/QUOTE]
I don't see how GS employees are any more shady than most of the people on this forum. More likely, the sample of "normal" people would be much much higher. Calling and asking worked for me and you can even put it on hold. If you're looking to clean out all the regional Gamestops for resale, then I can see how just driving down there would be more efficient.

[quote name='dragonjud']I keep hearing of people calling, but isn't that the first rule to getting a deal. Do not call.
There're plenty of shady employees working there. Most will not even bother looking before giving you an answer. At least if you drive there, they'll have to pretend to look for you.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY.

It, basically, boils down to how bad a person wants it. Because some employees will not check and/or keep it for themselves. Of course, there is the occasional honest 1.

I remember, last year, I wanted a game from somewhere. I called and the lady said there's non in stock, even though the store checker said they had some. Something said go anyway and they had 3 of the game! :hot: This was before I knew better.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']EXACTLY.

It, basically, boils down to how bad a person wants it. Because some employees will not check and/or keep it for themselves. Of course, there is the occasional [/QUOTE]

I think it is better to go and ask about these converted PS2s in-store. I feel as though most GS employees will just check the computer and not bother to check the back room for these unless you are in the store.

Geez, I really wish that I had found a white and/or silver one. I might go check a few GS after work today.

[quote name='Gosha']I was just wondering, can you use a vertical stand on the 90001?[/QUOTE]

Yes but not the round disc one for the 70001/75001/77001 series. The proper stand for the 90001 was never released domestically sadly.

You need this one:
200972217319595.jpg

I wish I found a GameStop that carried these close by... I was going to buy one for the full $99.99 next month anyway before they finally stop selling them since my original fatty finally broke.
I'm still buying a new one though because i'm the guy that would get the ONE used PS2 that blows up when I plug it in from GameStop....

[quote name='Nogib']Yes but not the round disc one for the 70001/75001/77001 series. The proper stand for the 90001 was never released domestically sadly.

You need this one:
200972217319595.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Does that work with the older model slims as well? I have a silver slim Japanese PS2 that has one of the round ones. Strange they changed up the design so much.

Thanks guys, I had to call like 6 gamestops in my area to find one that still had a new ps2 slim. When I got there, the box was dusty but it still had the seal on it.

Stopped at one close to my work on lunch just now:

"They don't make them anymore"

"I don't need to check we don't have any"

Hopefully better luck at the store closer to my house

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']Stopped at one close to my work on lunch just now:

"They don't make them anymore"

"I don't need to check we don't have any"

Hopefully better luck at the store closer to my house[/QUOTE]

wow id report to tellgamestop

got one today. RIP ps2.

Will definitely check out the gamestop today even though they said they only had used when I called them two days ago. I suspect they were only looking at their computers. Hopefully I get lucky and find a white one. Besides this gamestop has two PS3 MW3 hardened editions left that are pretty hard to find so it's possible.

[quote name='ps2emotions']Are you joking about the fat PS2? If not I hope you picked it up because they fetch over $100 on ebay even on the worst days.[/QUOTE]

no now that you tell me i should go and buy the new fatty
if i can make $75 off it will b good save the money for the psp vita:applause:

i think i managed to snag the last sealed ps2 slim in all of buffalo, but no luck on the white singstar bundle; it appears to be as rare as a unicorn sighting in these parts.

Man, it's totally torture calling around asking about new PS2's.

Some of the stores actually laughed at me and said they haven't been sold in the US in more than a year.

I stopped by one GS on Sunday and when I asked specifically for the "new PS2 being sold at the used price" he knew exactly what I was talking about. He only had one left (in the back) but they had already unboxed it from the retail box and stuffed it in the Used GS box, however he let me check it over thoroughly to confirm it was completely unused (which it appeared to be upon close inspection). I also took advantage of the B2G1 deal by buying a Game Cube and they pulled out their PS2 and GC games for me to browse through (they had a limited selection and the guy said they were shipping all of the GC stock to another store the next day).

I then stopped by a different GameStop today and asked the same question and the girl working there said she only had one and went in back to confirm they still had it. They did and it was still sealed in the original box (the box had a small tear in the side, but nothing to worry about since it definitely wasn't from being dropped). Surprisingly though, she also said that Sony stopped making them a few years ago and that the ones they were clearing out were a few years old. Really?

I've got one more GameStop to check out on the way home to see if the have the SingStar bundle, but for now I'm just glad I got a NIB PS2 for $40. Awesome deal.

If someone lucks upon a plethora of white PS2s let me know, I'll pay $100 plus shipping for you troubles.
edit: I just need one, for myself.

If anyone finds the singstar bundle still sealed, I'll give $70 paypal for it - just PM me.

Thanks.

[quote name='ubdu']I got lucky. Out of the three stores near me, one had a new white Singstar system, that confirmed to be $40.They didn't even take it out of the box, which is still factory sealed.

Pic:
20120123133514801.jpg
2012_01_23_13_35_14_801.jpg
[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back