New Super Mario Bros. Wii - General Discussion & Info

MW2 addiction has only allowed me to play to early in world 2 but i'm enjoying it alot. I wish they would have left out or at least allowed you to turn off the motion stuff. It's stupid that I have to shake my controller to do certain things but oh well it's not a deal breaker. I miss these style games and I think it's about time I replay all the old Mario games. :)

That kid was trolling but alot of people are ragging on the small size of the game. Play it and enjoy it who cares if the dvd is full or not what's there is really good.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Two birthdays are less than a week apart:
Shigesato Itoi (Mother/Earthbound series) turned 61 on November 10th.
Shigeru Miyamoto turns 57 today, November 16th.[/QUOTE]

Happy birthday Shiggy!

BTW, New Super Mario Bros Wii is awesome. It is much more difficult than the DS one, but it is not unfair at any point. The only times I loose massive 1up's is when I try to get all of the Star coins in certain levels (which I am OCD about). The art style transitioned over to the Wii very nicely considering the graphical limitations on the Wii. What I mean is that on the DS it looked fantastic, and I hoped it would for the Wii considering my 40" LCD, and it looks great! I really love the three new power ups (Ice Flower was in Galaxy, but was different). The Koopa Kids are awesome. Airship levels are back (rarely). You can now stockpile items ala Mario 3. Everything really comes together very nicely to make it one of the best games I have played this year. Kudos Nintendo, kudos.

Bought the game yesterday and played it for hours with two other people. We made it to world 4-1.

The few times I played through a level by myself, I didn't see it being any harder than the DS game. My teammates had to continue a lot, though. I had one continue. One person was up to 18 continues, and the other was at 7 or so. The game's difficulty stems from the multiplayer aspect, where a lot of things are going on simultaneously and you are bouncing on heads or pushing each other.

The game felt a little clumsy even after hours of play with three players. I think two players is the sweet spot. This gives you enough breathing room to get through the game in a normal fashion while still having the advantages of multiple players (high jumps, throwing, etc). I can't imagine trying to play through the game with four players. It would be more random than Smash Brother Brawl.

Maybe I just need better teammates.

[quote name='QiG']The bad news is that it's exactly like the DS version. Don't get me wrong, I really loved the DS game but I was hoping for a bit of a more visible transition to account for the hardware gap. I know most of you are sick of hearing it, but I'm going to be 'that guy' and say that I don't like forced motion controls. It's kind of cool that they have platforms you can control by tilting the wiimote and I can appreciate how that adds to the game but here's the thing: I know it just takes a flick of the wrist but by having to hold down the 1 button and flick the wiimote to pick up certain objects (or flick the wiimote for some other little actions) just annoys me to no end. There's no reason this couldn't have been an option with the B button open to map it to. [/QUOTE]
I agree. This game is virtually identical to the DS version.

I kind of agree about the motion controls. The tilt platforms are annoying, but I think it was necessary for ease of gameplay. If you have four people standing on a tilt platform, it would be "difficult" to get everyone to coordinate to tilt it a certain way.

I have no problem with the shake to pick up. I don't even think about it.

[quote name='Strell']
Suddenly, Chrono Trigger/Mario 3/Earthbound/Link to the Past/Final Fantasy 6/Mario 64/and countless others are now trash.
[/QUOTE]

At least do your research. I only bashed on Chrono and LttP. Cripes.

So, are the motion controls mapped to buttons if you opt to play with the Classic Controller?

[quote name='$hady']
That kid was trolling but alot of people are ragging on the small size of the game. Play it and enjoy it who cares if the dvd is full or not what's there is really good.[/QUOTE]

That is one discussion I didn't quite get. It's a 2D cartoony platformer, how much space can those resources take up?

I installed Borderlands on the 360 last night and was amazed to see it was only 3GB. Impressive.

[quote name='Corvin']So, are the motion controls mapped to buttons if you opt to play with the Classic Controller?

That is one discussion I didn't quite get. It's a 2D cartoony platformer, how much space can those resources take up?

I installed Borderlands on the 360 last night and was amazed to see it was only 3GB. Impressive.[/QUOTE]

Thats the catch, most game executables are generally less than ~30 MB, even on the 360/PS3s. The majority of the size comes from the actual media content such as textures, video, or audio. Smash Bros for instance had over a gig of just music (maybe more depending of if the audio was AAC instead of FLAC or WAV).

[quote name='Corvin']So, are the motion controls mapped to buttons if you opt to play with the Classic Controller?

[/QUOTE]

It doesnt support Classic control or gamecube control

I really like the game so far (I'm 1/2 way through World 2) but I do agree that the control isn't that great (which is shocking for a Nintendo first party game). Most of my mistakes are because the '1' and '2' are a little small and I can't quite get the timing down with respect to shaking the Wiimote. Graphics are fantastic (I really wish the Wii supported HD though) and the gameplay is solid even though this is basically a clone of the DS game.

The thing that makes it stand out is the challenge - getting those gold coins is tough. One that stands out so far is in World 2 where you have to have the helicopter suit and basically jump into a covered pit, get the gold coin at the bottom and then shake the Wiimote at exactly the right time to lift out of the pit on the other side. It isn't easy!

[quote name='javeryh']The thing that makes it stand out is the challenge - getting those gold coins is tough. One that stands out so far is in World 2 where you have to have the helicopter suit and basically jump into a covered pit, get the gold coin at the bottom and then shake the Wiimote at exactly the right time to lift out of the pit on the other side. It isn't easy![/QUOTE]
*yawn* Tell that to my two teammates as they watched me do this on the first try. :cool:

I did find one that I couldn't get. It is on world 3 (ice). The coin is off an icy edge in a small room. Meanwhile there is a constant stream of the penguins with sunglasses sliding down at you. I died five times trying for it before giving up.

The star coins are a lot easier to get in team play, since you can just bubble up or die if you miss a jump and immediately try again instead of restarting the level.

[quote name='$hady']That kid was trolling but alot of people are ragging on the small size of the game. Play it and enjoy it who cares if the dvd is full or not what's there is really good.[/QUOTE]

It's this kind of shit that just makes me want to start punching idiots.

WHO THE HELL CARES WHAT THE FILE SIZE OF A GAME IS?

I got in an argument with a Kotaku commenter (My first mistake) who said "Why would I pay $50 for a game that only takes up 1/10th of the disc?"

WTF. WTF!? I paid $60+ for Super Mario 64 back in the day and it was 8MB.

I paid $50 for Super Mario Bros. 3 and that was a few kilobytes.

Get off my lawn you retarded kiddies!

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I dont like having to pressing a button and shake to pick up a block. Back in the day you just press a button

[quote name='Zing']I agree. This game is virtually identical to the DS version.

I kind of agree about the motion controls. The tilt platforms are annoying, but I think it was necessary for ease of gameplay. If you have four people standing on a tilt platform, it would be "difficult" to get everyone to coordinate to tilt it a certain way.

I have no problem with the shake to pick up. I don't even think about it.[/QUOTE]

This is what I feared.

NSMB wasn't a bad game, far from it, but considering I bounced right back to the classics upon completing it really ruined the appeal for me. In other words, I love classic Mario, but it seems the formula has already been perfected years ago.

On the other hand I do have faith in SMG2, with its fresh spherical world/gravity concepts.

[quote name='Zing']I agree. This game is virtually identical to the DS version.

I have no problem with the shake to pick up. I don't even think about it.[/QUOTE]

No, the person who was on the platform first controls the tilting solely.

And no, I don't see how it's virtually identical at all... Eh. I don't get paid to change opinions, so that's cooooooool!

I just can't get excited about this game from looking at screenshots. The graphical style just seems so bland and ugly compared to the gorgeous spritework of Super Mario World. It just looks really lame to me.

I am looking forward to playing it though, if it really is as fluid and fun as the reviews make it out to be, I can probably look past the graphics. I just can't understand why a game like Mario Kart Wii is so vibrant and bursting with color, and then this game looks so plain and crude.

[quote name='javeryh']
The thing that makes it stand out is the challenge - getting those gold coins is tough. One that stands out so far is in World 2 where you have to have the helicopter suit and basically jump into a covered pit, get the gold coin at the bottom and then shake the Wiimote at exactly the right time to lift out of the pit on the other side. It isn't easy![/QUOTE]

:lol: That was my plan when I first got there too (the level with the sand platforms that keep disappearing?) but then I remembered that you can throw turtle shells at things to collect them and the hint video confirmed.

It still took a while though and it's probably just as easy (frustrating) to use the helicopter powerup instead.

[quote name='AfricanFruitWaynely']
NSMB wasn't a bad game, far from it...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you'd end up feeling the same way after playing this. But I'd still say go ahead and give it a rental at least. I didn't mean to totally slam it when I gave my impressions and I think B- is a really fair grade

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I just can't get excited about this game from looking at screenshots. The graphical style just seems so bland and ugly compared to the gorgeous spritework of Super Mario World. It just looks really lame to me.

I am looking forward to playing it though, if it really is as fluid and fun as the reviews make it out to be, I can probably look past the graphics. I just can't understand why a game like Mario Kart Wii is so vibrant and bursting with color, and then this game looks so plain and crude.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about that too. Mario Kart was done by the same development team (Nintendo EAD) and I think the personality of that game fell kind of flat the same way I feel about this one. On the flip side, even though I didn't care for either Mario Party 8 (Hudson) or Super Paper Mario (Intelligent Systems), they seemed to do a better job of capturing the charm of the mario universe than the more Mario-centric EAD team. Go figure. I'm gonna shut up and play and enjoy it for what it is before I end up turning people away from it.

So I wonder what happens when you get all the coins/toads?
Ideally, I would love to be able to play as anyone in co-op than having to be Mario as player one.

[quote name='lilboo']So I wonder what happens when you get all the coins/toads?
Ideally, I would love to be able to play as anyone in co-op than having to be Mario as player one.[/QUOTE]

Well if you got 2 controller just have Mario hide in a bubble and you can use Luigi

:lol:

I mean, even in free for all & coin battle.. player 1 has to be Mario. What if we wanted to play as both Toads? Luigi AND Toad? Hmm?

It's always the little things in games like this that bother the heck outta me. Still a pretty good game, but this is something that shouldn't really be an "issue".

[quote name='lilboo']So I wonder what happens when you get all the coins/toads?
Ideally, I would love to be able to play as anyone in co-op than having to be Mario as player one.[/QUOTE]

Here you are:
They unlock levels in world 9. Collecting all world 1 coins will unlock 9-1 and so forth.

[quote name='jman619']After I asked about the controls. I found out via google. I still want to play this,but don't have the money for it. Hopefully I can rent it soon.[/QUOTE]

The motion controls work really well. You just thrust up the Wii remote slightly to engage. I've only accidentally used a motion once or twice. It feels good, man.

This game is so much fun. Super Mario Bros 3 was such a big part of my childhood and this game oozes that sort of charm. Super Mario World is well represented, as well. It's a great, feel-good game. Haven't tried multiplayer yet and I'm still on the first world, but it's definitely a keeper.

Required motion controls? Damn it!

It might seem petty but I probably won't get this if there isn't a controller option that doesn't require shaking the remote. I really like that I could turn it off in Excitebike (WiiWare).

i don't know why the didn't allow for the classic controller and map the motion controls to the X, Y, L, or R positions.

That said- the motion controls aren't that bad. I had a lot of fun acing the first world last night.

Just made it to World 4 last night playing entirely 2 player co-op:

It's def a great game. The Koopa Kids just absolutely make the game feel like such an old school Mario game. What's great about this game is that there's a mix of everything Mario in this. The Koopa kid battles are Super Mario Bros 3 like..but the second time you fight them, it's totally Yoshi's Island! :lol: Yoshi brings the Super Mario World feel into it. Overall, I am pleased.

What's gay about this game.. is the forced motion controls. Luckily there's not much. In fact, there's really only 2 times you use motion: Picking something up & using the propeller hat. Leaving out the classic controller is stupid too, IMO.

NOW onto multiplayer.... it's really fun. When I first heard about this game and the multiplayer aspect I thought "fun, but it's def going to have sharing lives.. and that will be gay". Luckily it doesn't \\:D/
But all the problems we've had playing together was that.. we kept getting into each others way..! i can't imagine what 4 players would be like :shock: It was fun and not frustrating, but sometimes it was a bit frustrating (especially during the god damn ice levels)

I also hate that Mario is ALLLLWAAAAAAAAAAYS a playable character. EVEN during the free for all & coin battle modes. Player 1 has to be Mario! That's lame. ALSO, 2 Toads = lame as hell. Honestly, why couldn't they at least had Toad and maybe Toadette? Why not? Could have had Toad and Daisy..or Toad and Wario. Whatever.

BRB coffee is done

I posted this in the NeoGAF thread, but since the game is called "New Super Mario Bros Wii", it's a throwback to the classics, where player 1 was Mario and player 2 was Luigi. Now back in the day there was no such thing as 4-player co-op. Perhaps they felt that including Peach/Daisy/Wario/etc. would make it look like Mario Party or Mario Kart and also take away some of the "nostalgia" associated with just Mario and Luigi (plus characters like Wario and Daisy didn't even exist in those days). So they threw in two nameless Toads and called it a day.

I think in SMB2 you could play as Peach though, so who knows what they were going for.

As for Classic Controller support, again I guess they were going for the nostalgia factor of the NES pad: D-pad, two buttons, with some motion controls thrown in as a novelty. I think they were trying for the same thing as Galaxy, which basically controlled like Mario 64 except for the occasional waggle/pointer aim.

Super Mario Bros 2 was in fact Mario, Luigi, Toadstool, and Toad. This would have been perfect, imo. It already touches on everything else that has been Mario games.. so why not this? :)

[quote name='lilboo']Super Mario Bros 2 was in fact Mario, Luigi, Toadstool, and Toad. This would have been perfect, imo. It already touches on everything else that has been Mario games.. so why not this? :)[/QUOTE]

Nintendo's answer, and I'm not kidding, was that including Peach wasnt possible due to her dress and the impacts to the engine.

Now, to be fair, adding Peach implies allowing her to float and deciding how she would do moves such as a ground pound, altering the engine and levels to accommodate. Currently the four characters act the same way, which is a regression of sorts.

I would hope if another NSMB game gets made it will reintroduce the differing stats for the characters opening a window for Peach.

Doesn't Peach get kidnapped at the beginning of the game? It wouldn't make much sense for her to be a playable character trying to rescue... herself. No reason they couldn't have used Daisy though.

[quote name='ZForce915']Required motion controls? Damn it!

It might seem petty but I probably won't get this if there isn't a controller option that doesn't require shaking the remote. I really like that I could turn it off in Excitebike (WiiWare).[/QUOTE]

What can I say? You bought the wrong console.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']What can I say? You bought the wrong console.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the motion controls as long as they use it right,but they don't need it in every single game forcing you to use it.

[quote name='ZForce915']Required motion controls? Damn it!

It might seem petty but I probably won't get this if there isn't a controller option that doesn't require shaking the remote. I really like that I could turn it off in Excitebike (WiiWare).[/QUOTE]

Actually you can't entirely get rid of motion controls in Excitebike - when you crash you have to shake the remote to recover even with classic control setting. I don't see why shaking the remote is any worse then rapidly pressing a button, though, and tend to think it's better as long as you aren't required to do it a huge amount of time. But then I don't like games that require me to rapidly press a button a huge amount of time.

[quote name='foltzie']Nintendo's answer, and I'm not kidding, was that including Peach wasnt possible due to her dress and the impacts to the engine.

Now, to be fair, adding Peach implies allowing her to float and deciding how she would do moves such as a ground pound, altering the engine and levels to accommodate. Currently the four characters act the same way, which is a regression of sorts.

I would hope if another NSMB game gets made it will reintroduce the differing stats for the characters opening a window for Peach.[/QUOTE]

True, but they didn't have to use the Peach float :lol:

There's really no reason they couldn't have used Toadette, than. Just a regular Toad, just an actual character.

[quote name='lilboo']True, but they didn't have to use the Peach float :lol:

There's really no reason they couldn't have used Toadette, than. Just a regular Toad, just an actual character.[/QUOTE]

No, but the objections would be about that if she was a playable character.

Still, I dont disagree, having a second Toad instead of another Mario character seems odd, despite the Toad community being established.

[quote name='jman619']I don't mind the motion controls as long as they use it right,but they don't need it in every single game forcing you to use it.[/QUOTE]

The difference is something like Twilight Princess, the controls were tacked on.
In NSMB, these were put in to enhance the gameplay, which they do as far as I am concerned.

[quote name='foltzie']Nintendo's answer, and I'm not kidding, was that including Peach wasnt possible due to her dress and the impacts to the engine.

I would hope if another NSMB game gets made it will reintroduce the differing stats for the characters opening a window for Peach.[/QUOTE]

Pardon my ignorance, since I haven't received my copy yet, but isn't the point of this game to rescue Peach, yet again?

How would playing as Peach trying to rescue Peach work?

Awesome. Absolutely awesome.

nsmbw.jpg

To answer the Peach saving Peach question. I think it'd be neat to save Peach halfway through and then she joins up with the rest of the crew to defeat Bowser.

Then you can play earlier levels with her to access new areas or something.

[quote name='crunchewy']Actually you can't entirely get rid of motion controls in Excitebike - when you crash you have to shake the remote to recover even with classic control setting. I don't see why shaking the remote is any worse then rapidly pressing a button, though, and tend to think it's better as long as you aren't required to do it a huge amount of time. But then I don't like games that require me to rapidly press a button a huge amount of time.[/QUOTE]

You're right on that one. The act of shaking the controller to get your bike back on the track really does feel right though. The tilt left/right to get your bike to tilt feels less than 100% accurate so I instantly dismissed it.

To the poster above that says I bought the wrong console...lets just say I got suckered by Nintendo for the last time. I can't see myself owning another Nintendo console again.

[quote name='maximumzero']I'm considering picking up one of these guys:

56621.jpg

They're only like $1.25.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:k
That's kind of neat, actually

[quote name='ZForce915']You're right on that one. The act of shaking the controller to get your bike back on the track really does feel right though. The tilt left/right to get your bike to tilt feels less than 100% accurate so I instantly dismissed it.

To the poster above that says I bought the wrong console...lets just say I got suckered by Nintendo for the last time. I can't see myself owning another Nintendo console again.[/QUOTE]
Suckered? No one bought it but yourself.
Sorry you don't like it.

If it makes you feel better, I won't be buying a Microsoft console again. :)

[quote name='maximumzero']I'm considering picking up one of these guys:

They're only like $1.25.[/QUOTE]

That is neat, but it looks like it doesn't deal with the wrist strap, so I guess you're going to have to take the wrist strap off in order to use it, then put it back on when done with it. Could get annoying.

I played until 1AM last night - on a Tuesday. I'm usually in bed by 11. I love this game. I'm still only in World 3 but I am having a blast trying to find all the big coins and secret exits (I've only found 1 of those so far!). I wish there was playable on PSP so I could play it at work... yeah, I know.

[quote name='crunchewy']That is neat, but it looks like it doesn't deal with the wrist strap, so I guess you're going to have to take the wrist strap off in order to use it, then put it back on when done with it. Could get annoying.[/QUOTE]

If you looked at the back, it's open.... wide open. if your cables on the strap aren't made of shoe strings, this should work fine.

I don't think it'll handle any skins, or unique battery packs, but for a standard wiimote with a standard strap, should be fine.

bread's done
Back