New Super Mario Bros. Wii - General Discussion & Info

Beat World-1 last night with my fiance, she too was disappointed she couldnt play as Peach, but was giggling and yelling at all the opportune times.

[quote name='foltzie']Beat World-1 last night with my fiance, she too was disappointed she couldnt play as Peach, but was giggling and yelling at all the opportune times.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping that will be like tonight when amazon finally delivers the game... Glad I got Prime... :roll:

I played through world 1 with my girlfriend last night, she didn't care about peach, but she wanted to know what the story with the two toads was. Like why are these two toads of all the toads enlisted.

This game is great. Me and my future finace are playing it non-stop everyday after work. We are up to world 7 right now. We beat the midway castle thus far. I am VERY nit picky- so we get every coin and every secret path. There will be little reason to revisit levels because we play each one to its full completion.

Also, Miyamoto said as of this month, Galaxy 2 is in its finishing stages and should around early 2010. Very exciting. I can't get enough of mario!!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']This game is great. Me and my future finace are playing it non-stop everyday after work. We are up to world 7 right now. We beat the midway castle thus far. I am VERY nit picky- so we get every coin and every secret path. There will be little reason to revisit levels because we play each one to its full completion.

Also, Miyamoto said as of this month, Galaxy 2 is in its finishing stages and should around early 2010. Very exciting. I can't get enough of mario!![/QUOTE]

I really doubt it will be our early 2010. That's def going to be a Christmas 2010 game.

[quote name='xycury']I'm hoping that will be like tonight when amazon finally delivers the game... Glad I got Prime... :roll:[/QUOTE]

I received my copy yesterday (obviously) I was a bit shocked to see it so soon, actually. It shipped out on the 14th and I received it on the 17th, and was with free super saver shipping.

Meanwhile I pre-ordered Style Savvy for my girlfriend back in September and it shipped on 6th and she didn't get it until yesterday.

I can't help but wonder if Nintendo paid for everyone's copy to be 2-day shipping or something. :p

Also does anyone know where I can get some nice high-resolution promo artwork for this game? I'm thinking of making myself a new mug before I leave work today. :p

[quote name='maximumzero']I received my copy yesterday (obviously) I was a bit shocked to see it so soon, actually. It shipped out on the 14th and I received it on the 17th, and was with free super saver shipping.
[/QUOTE]

You did FSSS and already got it? Wow, Amazon, wow. I got in on Ratchet & Clank lightning deal yesterday and it is already arriving today. I ordered Mario back in September and it's still not here and just now slated to arrive today.

[quote name='maximumzero']I received my copy yesterday (obviously) I was a bit shocked to see it so soon, actually. It shipped out on the 14th and I received it on the 17th, and was with free super saver shipping.

Meanwhile I pre-ordered Style Savvy for my girlfriend back in September and it shipped on 6th and she didn't get it until yesterday.

I can't help but wonder if Nintendo paid for everyone's copy to be 2-day shipping or something. :p[/QUOTE]

FSSS, I'm guessing, means your stuff goes out when they have enough stuff to make the shipping to you cheap, which often means it has to wait before being shipped. If your order happens to be on the tail end of such a group of waiting packages headed your way, then your game goes out quickly. At that point it's just a matter of how quickly the shipper can get it to your house. Prime shipping ensures that your stuff goes out quickly every time and is shipped guaranteed 2-day. Or at least it's suppose to!

[quote name='crunchewy']FSSS, I'm guessing, means your stuff goes out when they have enough stuff to make the shipping to you cheap, which often means it has to wait before being shipped. If your order happens to be on the tail end of such a group of waiting packages headed your way, then your game goes out quickly. At that point it's just a matter of how quickly the shipper can get it to your house. Prime shipping ensures that your stuff goes out quickly every time and is shipped guaranteed 2-day. Or at least it's suppose to![/QUOTE]

Can't remember if it's this thread or that other one...

But it seemed like most of all FSSS shipped on Saturday, when the game isn't "out" till Sunday, and all prime users shipped on Monday.

I had pre-ordered it back in Sept/Oct, as soon as it hit GB, yet most of all FSSS have already played it for an entire day, and I'm still waiting for UPS to deliver it.

Hell some peoples' orders had it out Saturday and they got it Monday.

Didn't want to derail, but I never chimed in on this.

I'll register, get some more coins and play the hell out of it tonight.

[quote name='xycury']Can't remember if it's this thread or that other one...

But it seemed like most of all FSSS shipped on Saturday, when the game isn't "out" till Sunday, and all prime users shipped on Monday.
...[/QUOTE]
I don't think there is a rhyme or reason to how amazon does it. I've prime, game shipped on Saturday (though the shipping email came late Sunday night) and got it on Monday. Haven't played it yet, though.

I can't find out how to get to level 7-7 for the life of me! I don't want to look it up either...

I have every secret/coin up to that point. Let the searching begin!!

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I read this somewhere else, but I can't believe you can't toss shells upwards. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
yea. That was the first thing i tried.. total bs.

Yeah I tried that too and it sucks. Played two-player free-for-all and coin battle with my gf tonight though, fun times. She's not very good...

[quote name='maximumzero']Wow, I cannot find out how to get to that warp cannon on World 1 for anything.[/QUOTE]

Don't look unless you want to be spoiled.

It's in 1-3. It's above the secret cave on the top of the screen where the coins are.

The launch of this game has compelled me to play NSMB again, just to see if maybe I was too hard on it. It's not bad, but after a couple of minutes of play I get nostalgic for Mario 3 or World and start playing those. The shell suit, wall jumping, and other elements from Mario 64 were a nice touch though.

So I'm a bit apprehensive about spending cash on the spiritual remake of a game that was also a spiritual remake of a lot of other games. What's sad is that I would be on this bandwagon for the multiplayer, problem is most of my friends are jaded anti-Mario gamers(yes, gamers that don't like Mario!).

[quote name='AfricanFruitWaynely']The launch of this game has compelled me to play NSMB again, just to see if maybe I was too hard on it. It's not bad, but after a couple of minutes of play I get nostalgic for Mario 3 or World and start playing those. The shell suit, wall jumping, and other elements from Mario 64 were a nice touch though.

So I'm a bit apprehensive about spending cash on the spiritual remake of a game that was also a spiritual remake of a lot of other games. What's sad is that I would be on this bandwagon for the multiplayer, problem is most of my friends are jaded anti-Mario gamers(yes, gamers that don't like Mario!).[/QUOTE]

I've always liked World more than 3 (though, i still love 3 very much). As much as they've added from both in this game.. I am a bit sad that there's no flying ability at all. Whether it had been from leaf, tanuki, cape, or something new and different, would have been great. There were a lot of secret areas in both games that you could only get from flying. But, oh well :(

The multiplayer is great, but IMO, it's kind of annoying. I play with one other person and we are constantly getting into each others way :lol: It IS funny, though. Basically, if you get this and just play single player.. you'll still enjoy it.

[quote name='AfricanFruitWaynely']
So I'm a bit apprehensive about spending cash on the spiritual remake of a game that was also a spiritual remake of a lot of other games. What's sad is that I would be on this bandwagon for the multiplayer, problem is most of my friends are jaded anti-Mario gamers(yes, gamers that don't like Mario!).[/QUOTE]

Think of NSMB (DS) as a spiritual remake in the way that the team wanted to see if they could still make a great 2D Mario game. NSMB (Wii) is a brand new game taking into account everything they learned on the DS game and perfecting it.

I also prefer World over Mario 3. Actually thinking about it, they are a bit like NSMB ds vs. NSMB wii. Mario 3 was going back to the platforming roots after the direction Mario 2 took, while Mario World took everything about it and crafted something entirely new.

SMB3 is one of the most overrated games ever. SMW is miles better. The stages in SMB3 are all way too short and 95% of them can be completed with the Raccoon Suit and just flying over everything.

People probably have fond memories of Mario Brothers 3. It's NES, airships, Koopa Kids, World 1-8 style, great suits, etc. I guess it was the first of its kind. People probably have fond memories of Mario Brothers 3. It's NES, airships, Koopa Kids, World 1-8 style, great upgrades, etc. I guess it was the first of its kind. Super Mario World is better, though. I wish they had more Airships in this game. Those were awesome in Super Mario Brothers 3. Also, I must say the music in this game is not catchy at all. Koji Kondo, where are you?

It's hard to have a completely fair and balanced debate on that...

To me I don't see SMB3's short and fast paced levels as a shortcoming, conversely I don't see SMW's open-endedness as superfluous. They're just equally good games with different styles of gameplay built on the legendary core game, SMB.

I also like world over SMB3, but than again I played World first. Yoshi's Island should also be in the discussion as well.

[quote name='62t']I also like world over SMB3, but than again I played World first. Yoshi's Island should also be in the discussion as well.[/QUOTE]

It's not part of the Super Mario Bros. series though. It's a whole 'nother series altogether.

I've decided to play through this entire game with 4 people. Having friends: good. Not wanting to spend $37 on a good game: bad. :whistle2:(

(Hey, I just bought CoD6 + ODST + Qubed and Black Friday is coming up.)

[quote name='SuperPhillip']It's not part of the Super Mario Bros. series though. It's a whole 'nother series altogether.[/QUOTE]

The full name of the game was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, so to me it is Mario 5

[quote name='62t']The full name of the game was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, so to me it is Mario 5[/QUOTE]

Unless you play as Mario it can't be considered part of the core franchise. It's more of a spin-off than sequel. The name was used so it would sell. And as evidenced by Yoshi's Island 2, it is now it's own franchise. Should it have been Super Mario World 3: Yoshi's Island 2?

Here is a lively discussion about it from earlier in the year.

[quote name='62t']The full name of the game was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, so to me it is Mario 5[/QUOTE]

Wario Land wishes to explain the concept of a marketing gimmick.

Saying Yoshi's Island isn't part of the Mario series is just conjecture. It's still a damn good platformer and Mario at its finest. There's no real reason that Yoshi's Island can't be grouped with everything else other than semantics.

I've unfortunately had to play most of the game single player, but it has been an enjoyable experience. To me, it seems like the game is a "best of" Mario, picking some of the best concepts of the past 20 years with some new twists. I'm really looking forward to 4-player multiplayer at some point.

The broken colored yoshis, no throwing shells up, the lack of a classic control options, and poor character choices/selection.

I''m really enjoying the game- but it's clear that i just enjoy the mario formula, and they could have released a much better game.

[quote name='nbballard']The broken colored yoshis, no throwing shells up, the lack of a classic control options, and poor character choices/selection.

I''m really enjoying the game- but it's clear that i just enjoy the mario formula, and they could have released a much better game.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like nit-picking honestly.

Colored Yoshis? Seriously? They'd be broken if they had separate powers.

Throwing shells up? Another minor gripe clearly not worthy of "they could have released a much better game".

Classic control? Most of the game requires motion controls. They work quite well.

Poor character choices? I guess I can see you here, but who would you rather see? Crap like Wario and Waluigi?

[quote name='SuperPhillip']
Poor character choices? I guess I can see you here, but who would you rather see? Crap like Wario and Waluigi?[/QUOTE]

Ewwww....

Toadette would have been an easy character to implement, reducing the trouble of distringuishing between the two toad, and throwing in a female character (which Nintendo says make up a pretty good portion of their demographics).

[quote name='soonersfan60']toadette would have been an easy character to implement, reducing the trouble of distringuishing between the two toad, and throwing in a female character (which nintendo says make up a pretty good portion of their demographics).[/quote]

ty!
:nottalking:

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Classic control? Most of the game requires motion controls. They work quite well.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I kind of agree (with classic controls). L+R to control the platforms, another button to pickup/spin. Problem solved.

Having a classic controller option in some games does seem necessary, and I feel NSMB Wii could have benefited from at least giving us options. Even Mario Kart Wii which greatly benefited from having a motion control scheme gave us 4 different ways of control. I feel NSMB Wii is trying to force motion controls at the cost of flexibility.

I still am enjoying the game greatly, the motion controls just don't mesh as well as say, Metroid Prime or Mario Galaxy.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Actually, I kind of agree (with classic controls). L+R to control the platforms, another button to pickup/spin. Problem solved.

Having a classic controller option in some games does seem necessary, and I feel NSMB Wii could have benefited from at least giving us options. Even Mario Kart Wii which greatly benefited from having a motion control scheme gave us 4 different ways of control. I feel NSMB Wii is trying to force motion controls at the cost of flexibility.

I still am enjoying the game greatly, the motion controls just don't mesh as well as say, Metroid Prime or Mario Galaxy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree that options are good, too.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Sounds like nit-picking honestly.

Colored Yoshis? Seriously? They'd be broken if they had separate powers.

Throwing shells up? Another minor gripe clearly not worthy of "they could have released a much better game".

Classic control? Most of the game requires motion controls. They work quite well.

Poor character choices? I guess I can see you here, but who would you rather see? Crap like Wario and Waluigi?[/QUOTE]

My post came off harsh- i'm really enjoying the game. The problem is that i play it, and I don't see a fun innovative mario game like all of the have been before it- it's a sequel.

When I step back and look at the game, it just seems like the thinnest offering of mario they thought they could get away with pushing on us. It ends up feeling less like a logical progression of Mario, and more like nintendo's response to LBP.

That said- i'm going to stop complaining. Most everything I've said is nit-picky- it's just the kind of polish stuff i've come to expect from the series. I love nintendo, and I've enjoyed the game. I had friends over last night and we had a blast playing it 4 player.

[quote name='nbballard']My post came off harsh- i'm really enjoying the game. The problem is that i play it, and I don't see a fun innovative mario game like all of the have been before it- it's a sequel.

When I step back and look at the game, it just seems like the thinnest offering of mario they thought they could get away with pushing on us. It ends up feeling less like a logical progression of Mario, and more like nintendo's response to LBP.

That said- i'm going to stop complaining. Most everything I've said is nit-picky- it's just the kind of polish stuff i've come to expect from the series. I love nintendo, and I've enjoyed the game. I had friends over last night and we had a blast playing it 4 player.[/QUOTE]

The way I see it, it's that the single-player mode are the mashed potatoes and the multi-player is the gravy. hehe

Ive had this game for a while. I thought it was ok, but didnt like the waggle (still not fond of it), and it just didnt feel special. I only had 2 wii remotes and played a lot of single player and 2 player. Well, now that i have 4 wii remotes and have had multiple play sessions with 4 players (usually more, people passing around the remotes), i have to say its really fun. Not because its an incredible game, but with 4 people and all the non-sense that happens, the fun times of one person making it and everyone bubbling to them, and the crazy boss fights, its some good times.

This is basically the first wii must have game i can recommend to anyone i know. Ive played everything major and niche for the wii, and this is the best by a mile, but only with 4 people. If you dont have 4 wii remotes and have no intention of getting 4 of them, or do not have 4 people you can play with, this game is just mario, nothing more, nothing less. In which case i wouldnt recommend it right away, and get it cheaper used.

I played 4-player last night for the first time and it is insane. It is less about playing a Mario game and more about trying to control the chaos. The castles are especially hard because you really have to coordinate your movements which can be incredibly difficult. The ability to carry your teammates really helps in certain situations.

Single player is still incredibly fun as well although most of my time has been playing 2-player with my wife.

I agree about the character selection complaints though. Two toads on the screen gets really confusing. There are a wealth of characters in the Mario universe that could have been used.

I'm midway through world 3 and have to say the motion controls are basically worthless. I'd much rather have Classic Controller support than novelty motion support. Tilting platforms and twisting screws is okay, but why the F can't I pick up a frozen enemy by just hitting the 1 button? It's absolutely ridiculous that you have to shake the wiimote for that action when you don't for picking up Koopa shells.

The Wiimote/Nunchuck combo is better than just the sideways Wiimote but controlling a 2D Mario with the analog takes some getting used to.

bread's done
Back