New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

My 360 is on, but I have no idea what I'm waiting for or to happen. It's like any second I think it's going to shoot lasers and grow tentacles and kill me...

If you haven't gotten it yet, go to settings and hit "test network connection". It will prompt you. About a 1 minute download time and 5-6 minute install time.

[quote name='coolsteel']downloading now, I just want to see what it looks like before I go to sleep[/quote]

Same here. I'm excited. This reminds me of the first time I plugged the 360 in. That was an awesome moment.

From Major Nelson's Twitter:

"Remember: When we start rolling out NXE in about 40-minutes, you will not all get it at once..it may take a while for some of you"

I just turned mine on a few minutes ago and got the update notice as soon as I signed in. There was a quick update and then a reboot followed by a much longer update that is happening now (and competing for bandwidth with some other software I'm downloading for work - nothing quite like working and updating the Xbox at the same time - I feel super-productive tonight!).

And, wow, that was very fast actually - just watched the snazzy intro video... I'm off to see what the hell this is all about. I really haven't been paying attention to the hype. I know about game installs and the avatars and that's about it.

[quote name='Scorch']If you haven't gotten it yet, go to settings and hit "test network connection". It will prompt you. About a 1 minute download time and 5-6 minute install time.

.[/quote]

That worked, updating now.

Seems to be easy to get it if you have the leaked NXE already installed, since it's been wanting me to update since yesterday.

I Immediatly exited the avatar creation and went to the dashboard to upload Rock Band 2 to my hard drive...Now I have the urge to upload a few more as well.

update live right now

download took less than a min

update: really impressed so far, Microsoft really outdid themselves with this update

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it, it looks cool, i'm about to try out the netflix thing, also I don't like the avatar thing... Makes it kind of childish. Are they trying to make it more like the wii? Because I thought I bought an xbox 360 not a wii...

It will take a bit to get used to where everything is now.

Game installs, netflix, faster system and new design is nice. I still don't like the avatars, Microsoft managed to make something somewhat more customizable than Mii's but even more pointless!

The Avatars show up in Uno now. In the Arcade section of Marketplace, they list the avatar games.

I hope there is a way to make My Xbox the default start, theres a little dot next to Spotlight that makes me thing we can change it.

And the revised achievement ding is awesome.

[quote name='CouRageouS']The day and night themes also change what the friends buildings look like. Day makes them look homeless.[/quote]

:lol: for some reason i thought the day theme wouldnt change friend backgrounds

I stayed up to get the update and stream Netflix movies through my 360 and none of the codes fucking work! I've entered over 30 and that is not an exaggeration. I'm done with it! This is the worst implementation ever! Way to fuck up Netflix. This is the only reason why I even kept my Netflix account and I can't even access it. And I better not have to enter a code every time I log in. If so then I'm done and will cancel my Netflix account. Seriously, so fucking stupid. I'm about to throw my controller through my TV.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I can't get Neflix to work. The website keeps saying "invalid code". Where do you go to change themes now?[/QUOTE]

cool, I'm not the only one having that problem

[quote name='CouRageouS']The day and night themes also change what the friends buildings look like. Day makes them look homeless.[/quote]

The Gears 2 theme I have changes the buildings too. Ones a Raven and there's a Centaur and there's a Derrick and there's a Grindlift and there's some generic building. It's teh Last Day theme I'm pretty sure it's still free on marketplace.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I can't get Neflix to work. The website keeps saying "invalid code". Where do you go to change themes now?[/quote]
Click on the tab with your avatar on the My Xbox section.

Not too impressed. Hard as hell to find anything on marketplace and what happened to the free section?

Graphical upgrade is nice, as is the ability to delete game info on all those demos i've played. Other than that, nothing too special for me.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Immediatly exited the avatar creation and went to the dashboard to upload Rock Band 2 to my hard drive...Now I have the urge to upload a few more as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I already installed Civ Rev which I was about to play anyway. It is one of those games that starts and stops the drive all the time which is more annoying than just keeping it running (plus also probably hard on the system). Looking forward to playing that now! I'll do Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero World Tour for sure. I spent about 10 minutes cleaning demos and videos off the system (even though I have a 120GB) as I suspect I will install lots of games.

[quote name='hec204']I got it, it looks cool, i'm about to try out the netflix thing, also I don't like the avatar thing... Makes it kind of childish. Are they trying to make it more like the wii? Because I thought I bought an xbox 360 not a wii...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it looks like the Xbox brought to you by Nintendo. I kind of like that as a poke in the eye for those who look down on the Wii ;).

Though, oddly enough, even though they are more realistic looking, I can't quite get my Avatar to look as much like me as my Mii. I think it has to do with the lack of feature placement adjustment (moving/resizing individual elemetns like eyes and mouth).

So far it is pretty neat, the NXE makes everything flow much better (in terms of layout). It seems to be more overwhelming in terms of navigation with all the different GUI, and options etc, but people will get use to it in time.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Click on the tab with your avatar on the My Xbox section.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think it is pretty cool. The only thing with older themes are half the background is covered and most were not designed for that. I just decided to use the standard. Would be interesting to see new themes that really do the entire thing including the friends background. Especially if they are free to promote a movie and it has props from the movie back there.

Also it has connected with my media server without an update with TVeristy but there is a music update that its not letting me do. I really wanted to test the Netflix stuff. Along with the media, I wish it did have the new slide with it instead of the old menu of scrolling down. Hopefully it is something they can add down the road.

For some reason now I have to re-download the media patch thingy that you need to play certain video formats... and it gives me an error when I try to. I assume their servers are getting raped right now, so I'll be patient.

The Marketplace seems to be acting up. I download a free picture pack (it says downloaded btw) and it says 'can't retrieve it'

First impressions: I'm lost. Seriously. I don't know how to do anything. It's fast, definitely. I wish they'd change the way you look at your Friends List...yeah...the old method was much faster in terms of telling you who is/isn't online.

Also, if someone's in a party, you can't see what game they're in until you click on the party. For some reason, I have a group of friends playing Quantum of Solace.

[quote name='KingBroly']The Marketplace seems to be acting up. I download a free picture pack (it says downloaded btw) and it says 'can't retrieve it'

First impressions: I'm lost. Seriously. I don't know how to do anything. It's fast, definitely. I wish they'd change the way you look at your Friends List...yeah...the old method was much faster in terms of telling you who is/isn't online.[/QUOTE]

Press the guide button. It's the old dashboard mini.

[quote name='Vekou']For some reason now I have to re-download the media patch thingy that you need to play certain video formats... and it gives me an error when I try to. I assume their servers are getting raped right now, so I'll be patient.[/QUOTE]

Try it again, it happened with the music one and works fine. Video works fine too, just streamed Superbad from my computer and looked great. Just wish it had the coverflow thing with it. I havn't tried the photos and stuff though, should be ok I imagine.

There are more premium themes up now for Tomb Raider, Halo 3, Halo Wars, Viva Pinata, Forza 2, Fable 2, Last Remnant, and Castle Crashers. All are 250 points.

I noticed that things I download or have downloaded aren't showing up with checkmarks in the marketplace.

bread's done
Back