New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

Same here. I like it better. It seems faster and looks nicer. And the Netflix streaming is great since I already had gold and a Netflix subscription.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Same here. I like it better. It seems faster and looks nicer. And the Netflix streaming is great since I already had gold and a Netflix subscription.[/quote]

Do you pull up the guide in game a lot? I'm wondering if some people really don't have a problem or its just they don't notice it.

If some people really don't have a problem the only other thing I can think of that might cause it is the number of friends you have. I have 92 on my list, which is well above live's average.

If I'm playing a game and I bring up my friends list, the problem isn't getting in... it's getting OUT. That's when it usually sort of freezes up for about 10-20 seconds. The only other issue I've noted is that, occasionally, installed games will take 15 seconds or so to 'boot up'. So, yeah, there are a few issues.

All in all, though, these aren't anywhere near earth-shattering or fun-ruining issues. That's my point... regardless of whether or not you think MS *should* have done the NXE, you have to admit that, overall, it's gone WAY more smoothly than anyone could have ever anticipated, especially given that it launched a month before Christmas. This is, in reality, likely the least painful change MS has ever made with the 360.

That, and in complete honesty... as long as I can boot up a game, I really couldn't give less of a crap about what the dashboard looks like. ;)

The old dashboard was much faster for everything. It takes a while when I click on something for the downloadable items to show up in the menu. I also get the lag when going to the friends section.

I'm used to NXE, yet I still hate it. Gives me my blades back assholes... instead of this pointless fucking menu system with 10 useful functions and 50 useless ones.

Is it just me, or do the movies (Major Nelson, etc, etc, etc) just do not load AT ALL for anyone else? It just stays on a black screen with the little 360 machine logo on the screen.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yes. It puts the NXE on that box.[/quote]

but when I take it off the 2nd xbox. It will still have the blades? I just don't want to brick anything or what not

[quote name='Blackout']Is it just me, or do the movies (Major Nelson, etc, etc, etc) just do not load AT ALL for anyone else? It just stays on a black screen with the little 360 machine logo on the screen.[/QUOTE]

Yea, for some reason I couldn't play one out of two movies I've gotten recently, it did exactly what you said, I have no idea why.

[quote name='tgk2044']Yea, for some reason I couldn't play one out of two movies I've gotten recently, it did exactly what you said, I have no idea why.[/quote]

I can't play ANY of the videos. None of them. It's really weird. It happens to every single one I try to play.

Are all Netflix movies and shows available to be streamed via the 360 or is it only certain ones, and if it is only certain ones is there a list available anywhere?

[quote name='ajh2298']Are all Netflix movies and shows available to be streamed via the 360 or is it only certain ones, and if it is only certain ones is there a list available anywhere?[/QUOTE]

Only certain ones, but its several thousand (like 10 or 12 thousand). There's no list available that I'm aware. TV shows there are some current ones like Weeds, 30 Rock, Heroes, The Office etc. on there.

What I'd say is if you only watch recent american blockbusters you'll be dissppointed as there are almost none available. It's great for older movies (not just classics but stuff 5-10 years ago), documentaries, indy films, foreign films etc.

The other thing I'd say is it's not worth paying for Netflix or Gold mainly for this service. You get netflix for the mail rental service which has pretty much everything you could think of and Gold for online gaming. The Instant Watch is just a nice bonus which is free for people who need both of those services.

I say that as many who've signed up or tried free trials just for the instant watch are disspointed at the lack of recent films and bitch that the selection sucks (rather than their limited interests) etc. etc. and it gets old.

[quote name='jkanownik']Do you pull up the guide in game a lot? I'm wondering if some people really don't have a problem or its just they don't notice it.

If some people really don't have a problem the only other thing I can think of that might cause it is the number of friends you have. I have 92 on my list, which is well above live's average.[/QUOTE]

The guide is probably a bit slower than in the past, but I don't use it very often anyway. I have probably 20 some friends.

It just seems faster scrolling through the new "blades" than before when loading ads slowed things down. All I really do is load games, scroll to the Netflix app and occasionally to the marketplace.

To tell you the truth the only problem I've experienced with NXE that I consider major, is one time I logged in and I had no friends on, except my friend was on. So I logged out and then back in and tada 7 friends on. :p

That's the only major issue that I can see with NXE so far. Sometimes it takes awhile for parties to show, but that's nothing major, and I could care less.

When I initially log in it freezes on me for about 10-20 secs, cant even move up or down
when i get to my friends it still isn't completely loaded takes another 10-20 secs

while in game, when I enter the guide its ok, but when i try to leave the guide it freezes about 10-20 secs
I don't enter the guide in game a lot but when someone sends a message that's how i check it
usually messages from cry babies in Halo 3

Yeah, 10-20 seconds never happens to me. Maybe it's because I don't have any games installed to my HD. :p

Maybe that's just the problem, installing games to the HD.

Question: Will installing a game to the HD fix any Disc read errors? Like if the Disc becomes scratched or damaged, will it just read the data off the HD, or will it do a mix of both?

This may be the cure of the evil scratches of death. I hate it when you pay 60 bucks for a game, and it eventually becomes unreadable, and you try everything to fix it, but it still doesn't work.

I'd think there'd be a risk that a badly scratched disc wouldn't copy properly. I mean it still has to be read to be installed.

I mean like, the game is new and you install it. Then overtime the disc becomes scratched and damage, will it still work?

That would probably work, as it just has to check that the disc is in. But I'd also think that with installs there'd be much less risk of discs getting scratched since it just spins at start up to check the disc. Unless one's mistreating discs, not keeping them in the case etc. risk of scratches should be pretty low if they're doing HDD installs.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Yeah, 10-20 seconds never happens to me. Maybe it's because I don't have any games installed to my HD. :p

Maybe that's just the problem, installing games to the HD.

Question: Will installing a game to the HD fix any Disc read errors? Like if the Disc becomes scratched or damaged, will it just read the data off the HD, or will it do a mix of both?[/QUOTE]

10-20 secs maybe an exaggeration, i don't sit and time it but that's how long it seems
doesn't really bother me

from what i heard, if you install a game with scratches on it, it can actually stop reading at the part that was scratched, so it would be no different

but if you install a good copy and play your scratched game, i'm pretty sure you'll be ok

Thanks Grey.

Yeah, I'm just happy Microsoft was doing something with their time, instead of wasting it doing nothing.

I bet Microsoft's next project is something like Sony's Home.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']
I bet Microsoft's next project is something like Sony's Home.[/QUOTE]

I really doubt you'll see another drastic change until the next Xbox. Besides, Home isn't exactly lighting fires of enthusiasm around the world.

Lol, yeah you guys are pretty much right. I'd rather see a new console then some Social Community, which would suck. Didn't the original Xbox release in 2001? Then 4 years later the 360 came out, hmmm.... I wonder if their next console will be this year (highly doubt it).

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Lol, yeah you guys are pretty much right. I'd rather see a new console then some Social Community, which would suck. Didn't the original Xbox release in 2001? Then 4 years later the 360 came out, hmmm.... I wonder if their next console will be this year (highly doubt it).
smile.gif
[/quote]
Don't count on it.. Microsoft isn't exactly known for it's quick releases;)

The 360 JUST got a mid life upgrade (NXE). You shouldn't expect a new console for at least 2 years. You also have to remember the competition is a year younger.

Plus I can't see Microsoft or Sony releasing new hardware as long as they're being outsold by last gen hardware.

Forget about it freezing for 10 seconds or something. I want sound and proper display with my HDMI connection. :bomb:
(see below)

[quote name='Cameron4All']Yea, there is an issue but it does not effect everybody. (it also effects display settings)
I have tried the fix that they have listed there but it does not work for me.
I tried emailing xbox customer service but it was like pulling teeth and it took 6, yes 6 emails to them just to get them to understand that I was trying to use an HDMI cable. (I know, I know... 1st mistake was emailing instead of calling, but it was easier to email for my work hours) Finally they said for me to put in a repair ticket. That is not the solution to the actual problem. I think they just got tired of me emailing them.

They have a couple more stories on that site too.
12-02-08 and 12-17-08[/quote]

What happens with it? I actually just realized I'm not sure if I've used HDMI since the update (eek!) I've only got one HDMI port on my TV, and I kind of don't want it wearing out swapping back and forth or something.

[quote name='Cameron4All']Forget about it freezing for 10 seconds or something. I want sound and proper display with my HDMI connection. :bomb:
(see below)[/QUOTE]

I get the sound problem occasionally too. Mine doesn't seem as severe as what's being mentioned. Every once in awhile, I'll be playing a game and the sound will just cutoff. Of course, for me the solution is simple, if I switch between video inputs, it'll come back.

[quote name='Puffoluf$$$us']I get the sound problem occasionally too. Mine doesn't seem as severe as what's being mentioned. Every once in awhile, I'll be playing a game and the sound will just cutoff. Of course, for me the solution is simple, if I switch between video inputs, it'll come back.[/QUOTE]

same thing for me
but it happened before the NXE

The "slowdown" of NXE is getting noticeably worse on my end. It takes a bit longer to boot up, but it's not that bad. ANYTIME I open the guide, it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute for it to fully close when I press the guide button or the "B" button. My friends list used to load instantly, but now it takes several minutes to fully load everyone. The party system seems to be getting worse as well. Before, everything was gravy, but now, I suddenly cant hear people talking, but they can hear me, and the party will randomly drop everyone as well. I thought maybe it was my connection, but this has been going on the last two weeks. :wall:

[quote name='moojuice']The "slowdown" of NXE is getting noticeably worse on my end. It takes a bit longer to boot up, but it's not that bad. ANYTIME I open the guide, it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute for it to fully close when I press the guide button or the "B" button. My friends list used to load instantly, but now it takes several minutes to fully load everyone. The party system seems to be getting worse as well. Before, everything was gravy, but now, I suddenly cant hear people talking, but they can hear me, and the party will randomly drop everyone as well. I thought maybe it was my connection, but this has been going on the last two weeks. :wall:[/quote]

I'm still having the same problem as well, even after clearing the cache. I think the problem lies upon Xbox Live. I have my system to boot up without login in into any account and my system and dashboard are fast.

[quote name='DestroVega']how do I set my log in to automatic on the NXE? can't find it anywhere.[/quote]Anywhere on the Dashboard, press the Guide Button. Scroll to Settings>Profile>Auto Sign-In and enable it there.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Anywhere on the Dashboard, press the Guide Button. Scroll to Settings>Profile>Auto Sign-In and enable it there.[/QUOTE]

If you have swapped your system or upgraded your HD, you can get it to auto sign in to your profile but it will not always automatically log into Xbox Live.

that sucks... i got a new system cause mine RRoD'ed now I can't automatically sign into xbox live anymore?

same hard drive, new box

[quote name='DestroVega']that sucks... i got a new system cause mine RRoD'ed now I can't automatically sign into xbox live anymore?

same hard drive, new box[/QUOTE]

I think it has something to do with the way the downloaded games are tied to a console, it seems your Xbox Live account is somewhat linked to the original console it was created on. I had a RROD system I sent to MS and when I got my new one back using my old HD, I noticed this problem. Later I had upgraded to a 120 gig HD and hoped when I transfered everything over, it would fix the problem but hat was not the case. This was all on the old dashboard but it still seems to carry over to the new one. What is odd though it will sometimes (maybe once every 15 starts) automatically log me in to Live.

If anyone does have a solution, it would be appreciated as my original searches when I first noticed this issue were not successful so I just have learned to do the 1 extra step and log myself in.

I've had multiple 360s and I upgraded my HDD, yet I have never had a problem getting it to auto sign in to Live.

Question for people getting 4 bars in HD. Iv been trying to achieve this. Iv got at the lowest 12 mb/s service and I still cant hold and keep 3 bars for HD. Do you guys have any special router settings or anything that helps you get there?

I've had some movies just not allow anything higher than a couple of bars. I'd watch a movie with two bars (constantly retrying to see if I could bump it up to 4), and then afterwards the next movie that I watch has 4 bars. So, sometimes I think it depends on the content.

bread's done
Back