NFL 2007 Season Thread

I think a guy that could be a steal in this year's draft is Jordy Nelson (WR) from Kansas State. He could be a Welker style possession receiver in the NFL.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I still don't understand the love for Joe Flacco, I guess it's the fascination with the fact that he can throw the football 500 yards over them mountuhnz.

The one player i'm high on, that is slipping fast is Andre Woodson. While his delivery is quirky, and hasn't played that well in the Senior Bowl (Due to playing in Martz system), he'd be a great 3rd-4th rd pick. I'd love if the 49ers took a look at him. He has a pretty decent arm, better than Booty, Ainge, or Brennan, who are expected to be drafted around then.

I'd love a draft for my 49ers of:

1st- Quentin Groves
2nd- Limas Sweed

Still haven't filled out the whole board yet. Word has DeShaun Foster signing with my 49ers, i'm down with that signing, and same with Justin Smith DE Benglas signing as well, i'd rather have him then Briggs.[/QUOTE]

Sweed will not be a 2nd round pick. I think he'll go in the top 20 right now after his combine workout. Very tough to find a 6'4" WR that can run a 4.4 and when healthy he shows up in the big games. He'll be the first WR off the board to either Buffalo, Minnesota, or Philadelphia. Also I love Flacco a lot as he reminds me of more athletic Drew Bledsoe (superb arm, almost 6' 7", very good accuracy, can roll out of the pocket and make throws, good intangibles).

[quote name='CocheseUGA']McFadden's off-field issues are relatively minor. Ooh, he fathered a child. Ooh, he may have acccepted gifts from boosters. Michael Vick was a saint in college, comparatively. Doesn't mean it translates to the next level.

McFadden's combine is by all accounts superior to Peterson's. Better broad jump, faster in the 40...Todd McShay said he's be shocked if he wasn't a top 5 pick.

Atlanta went defense with it's first pick last year, I don't think you'll see the same. I think Dorsey is going to drop further than everyone expects. I'd take Chris Long if I didn't get McFadden, I don't think I would take Matt Ryan.[/QUOTE]

I just dont think he's all that even if he didn't have any off-the-field issues. I just a lot Reggie Bush aspects in him that don't appeal to a lot of NFL scouts, coaches, and GMs. You can't just bounce everything to outside and hope to use your speed to past defenders. The defensive starters in the NFL run 4.6 speed or faster and thus Reggie Bush is feeling the effects of that right now. I'll stand by my statement that Mendenhall will be the better back of the 2 and maybe stewart will be the 2nd one out of the 3. Plus, Mendenhall and Stewart were just about impressive as McFadden yesterday during their workouts but don't get much attention from ESPN b/c they didn't run the blazing 40 time like McFadden did. I want my franchise RB to do everything and especially run b/t the tackles. No doubt McFadden has the everything you look for in a RB but imo i don't see much of him running b/t the tackles. When he gets hit, he's done for and doesn't use legs to get the extra yard or two. Peterson and Tomlinson can do everything and run b/t the tackles. Those two are why they're franchise RBs. Finally, I think character will played an issue with every NFL team as they try to clean up the league.

[quote name='DJSteel']Steelers would never make the bid for DeAngelo Hall[/quote]

Nor should they.

DeAngelo is so talented yet so selfish. Can't control his demeanor or mouth. It's been like that since he played for my Hokies.

[quote name='H-Town Info']Sweed will not be a 2nd round pick. I think he'll go in the top 20 right now after his combine workout. Very tough to find a 6'4" WR that can run a 4.4 and when healthy he shows up in the big games. He'll be the first WR off the board to either Buffalo, Minnesota, or Philadelphia. Also I love Flacco a lot as he reminds me of more athletic Drew Bledsoe (superb arm, almost 6' 7", very good accuracy, can roll out of the pocket and make throws, good intangibles).

quote]

Limas Sweed, I severly doubt will be the 1st WR taken, DeSean Jackson killed in drills, I think he'll go somewhere from 10-15. Sweed, the 49ers have a chance at since we have like the 4th pick in the 2nd round, and Sweed's wrist injury is still a risk many clubs see. I see Flacco's arm, talent no doubt, but I just don't see QB, i'd rather take Henne.

[quote name='DomLando']Supposedly the Niners will finally have a decent Kick/Punt returner. Reports are saying they are going to sign Allen Rossum. They are also looking to trade for WR Shaun Mcdonald.[/quote]

Michael Lewis didn't do too bad, we've had a long list of shitty KR's Otis Amey, Vinny Sutherland, Mo Hicks hasn't been too bad. Shaun McDonald would make me puke.

I'm pulling for the 49ers to get Justin Smith, we need a Pass Rusher, and with one of the top 5 LB's in the NFL (Patrick Willis), Lawson coming back from injury, that's a crazy defense. Just hoping we do something at the WR position.

[quote name='ph33r m3'][quote name='H-Town Info']Sweed will not be a 2nd round pick. I think he'll go in the top 20 right now after his combine workout. Very tough to find a 6'4" WR that can run a 4.4 and when healthy he shows up in the big games. He'll be the first WR off the board to either Buffalo, Minnesota, or Philadelphia. Also I love Flacco a lot as he reminds me of more athletic Drew Bledsoe (superb arm, almost 6' 7", very good accuracy, can roll out of the pocket and make throws, good intangibles).

quote]

Limas Sweed, I severly doubt will be the 1st WR taken, DeSean Jackson killed in drills, I think he'll go somewhere from 10-15. Sweed, the 49ers have a chance at since we have like the 4th pick in the 2nd round, and Sweed's wrist injury is still a risk many clubs see. I see Flacco's arm, talent no doubt, but I just don't see QB, i'd rather take Henne.

Michael Lewis didn't do too bad, we've had a long list of shitty KR's Otis Amey, Vinny Sutherland, Mo Hicks hasn't been too bad. Shaun McDonald would make me puke.

I'm pulling for the 49ers to get Justin Smith, we need a Pass Rusher, and with one of the top 5 LB's in the NFL (Patrick Willis), Lawson coming back from injury, that's a crazy defense. Just hoping we do something at the WR position.[/QUOTE]

you mean 8th pick in the 2nd round. Justin smith is a decent pick-up if the 49ers are going back to the 4-3. I think I have Flacco going to Atlanta in my 2nd round mock or Baltimore.

[quote name='H-Town Info']
I just dont think he's all that even if he didn't have any off-the-field issues. I just a lot Reggie Bush aspects in him that don't appeal to a lot of NFL scouts, coaches, and GMs. You can't just bounce everything to outside and hope to use your speed to past defenders. The defensive starters in the NFL run 4.6 speed or faster and thus Reggie Bush is feeling the effects of that right now. I'll stand by my statement that Mendenhall will be the better back of the 2 and maybe stewart will be the 2nd one out of the 3. Plus, Mendenhall and Stewart were just about impressive as McFadden yesterday during their workouts but don't get much attention from ESPN b/c they didn't run the blazing 40 time like McFadden did. I want my franchise RB to do everything and especially run b/t the tackles. No doubt McFadden has the everything you look for in a RB but imo i don't see much of him running b/t the tackles. When he gets hit, he's done for and doesn't use legs to get the extra yard or two. Peterson and Tomlinson can do everything and run b/t the tackles. Those two are why they're franchise RBs. Finally, I think character will played an issue with every NFL team as they try to clean up the league.[/QUOTE]

The Falcons don't have the personnel to get a back tough yards up the middle, I'm not sure a back dedicated to doing so is going to help. With receivers that can't catch, a QB that can't throw and an aging OL, I'd rather have a back has the ability to bust it outside, or throw it, or be able to run a route.

I like Stewart, but he has durability issues. He'll be a nice player, but not a Top-3 pick.

Mendenhall will probably also do ok, but if your GM picks him over Stewart or McFadden, he won't be around for long.

I think the Falcons should get a good QB in the draft, but they already have a mobile, better version of Vick in DJ Shockley. If it weren't for a crappy class next year, I'd say wait.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The Falcons don't have the personnel to get a back tough yards up the middle, I'm not sure a back dedicated to doing so is going to help. With receivers that can't catch, a QB that can't throw and an aging OL, I'd rather have a back has the ability to bust it outside, or throw it, or be able to run a route.

I like Stewart, but he has durability issues. He'll be a nice player, but not a Top-3 pick.

Mendenhall will probably also do ok, but if your GM picks him over Stewart or McFadden, he won't be around for long.

I think the Falcons should get a good QB in the draft, but they already have a mobile, better version of Vick in DJ Shockley. If it weren't for a crappy class next year, I'd say wait.[/QUOTE]

Jeez, I think my Houston Texans GM did pretty well take Mario Williams over Reggie Bush or else everyone will call for his head. Plus, Mendenhall will be fine as the 18th pick in the draft. If you think Shockley is going to be the QB of the Falcons, the GM should go out into the woodshed and shoot himself over and over. Shockley will never ever amount to anything in the NFL. He's just a poor poor man's version of Vick. He's too much of Running QB than Passing QB. Plus what durability issues does stewart have? He rushed for nearly 1750 yds this season and played in 35 games in his 3 years at Oregon, so don't tell me he has durability issues. And he's a mid-first round pick like Mendenhall and not a top 3 pick.

I dont think they need McFadden and they need to go after Ryan, Jake Long, or one of the 3 defensive linemen that are left over from the first 2 picks. IMO, you have to go after people in the trenches (O-line and D-Line) or find that franchise QB (maybe Ryan) more than a franchise RB. Look at Minnesota before Peterson got there, they have a good LT in McKinnie, LG in Hutchensen (best guard in the NFL), and Matt Birk at C (pro-bowler) for their O-line that helped Chester Taylor rushed for nearly 1200 yds. And then everyone knows about what Peterson did this past season. I'm not doubting Peterson or Taylor's talent and ability but it does help to have nearly 3-pro bowl calibur players on your O-line to help lead the way. Like they always say, you win the games in the trenches. I dont know if read my post, but if McFadden wants to bounce everything to the outside he's going to get killed by 4.3-4.6 speed defensive players going after him. I agree that McFadden is the top prospect out of the RBs but i think he could be the biggest bust of them all.

Johnathan Stewart, i'd take in the 2nd round. I saw him play while livin up in Washington when they faced the dub and he didn't really impress that much, he doesn't have NFL speed, so I see him as a 3rd down back really, maybe convert to a FB later in his career.

I agree with waiting a year for a QB if i'm Atlanta, Matt Ryan is not a Franchise QB. period. I'd rather have Brian Brohm, and that's pushing it. If i'm Atlanta, i'd draft someone with great character and can help their PR, i'd go with Glen Dorsey (if he's available, which I doubt) if Dorsey isn't available i'd look at trading DeAngelo Hall for draft picks. I'm not sure what Hall is fetching, i'd assume a 2nd rounder. I'd then draft Vernon Gholdston, and with the Hall pick draft someone like Mike Jenkins (if he falls that far) or more likely Aqib Talib from Kansas.

[quote name='H-Town Info']Jeez, I think my Houston Texans GM did pretty well take Mario Williams over Reggie Bush or else everyone will call for his head. Plus, Mendenhall will be fine as the 18th pick in the draft. If you think Shockley is going to be the QB of the Falcons, the GM should go out into the woodshed and shoot himself over and over. Shockley will never ever amount to anything in the NFL. He's just a poor poor man's version of Vick. He's too much of Running QB than Passing QB. Plus what durability issues does stewart have? He rushed for nearly 1750 yds this season and played in 35 games in his 3 years at Oregon, so don't tell me he has durability issues. And he's a mid-first round pick like Mendenhall and not a top 3 pick.

I dont think they need McFadden and they need to go after Ryan, Jake Long, or one of the 3 defensive linemen that are left over from the first 2 picks. IMO, you have to go after people in the trenches (O-line and D-Line) or find that franchise QB (maybe Ryan) more than a franchise RB. Look at Minnesota before Peterson got there, they have a good LT in McKinnie, LG in Hutchensen (best guard in the NFL), and Matt Birk at C (pro-bowler) for their O-line that helped Chester Taylor rushed for nearly 1200 yds. And then everyone knows about what Peterson did this past season. I'm not doubting Peterson or Taylor's talent and ability but it does help to have nearly 3-pro bowl calibur players on your O-line to help lead the way. Like they always say, you win the games in the trenches. I dont know if read my post, but if McFadden wants to bounce everything to the outside he's going to get killed by 4.3-4.6 speed defensive players going after him. I agree that McFadden is the top prospect out of the RBs but i think he could be the biggest bust of them all.[/quote]

I agree with your o-line talk about how Peterson had studs on his line, but the Falcons can save their 1st pick, and in the 2nd round pick Sam Baker from USC, who at the beggining of the year was a top 5 pick but dropped due to poor workouts.

I agree that Stewart is not a home-run threat but he does have NFL speed to play RB. I watched some Pac-10 games this season and the Sun Bowl and he looks legit power back. Would definately look good in a zone-blocking scheme perfectly. He reminds me of a bigger Marion Barber.

Why would atlanta want gholston when they have abraham and anderson to man the DE positions unless they cut Abraham? Like I said before I think Flacco would a good fit in Atlanta in the 2nd round or Chad Henne. And those 2 CBs will not fall into the 2nd round.

[quote name='ph33r m3'][quote name='H-Town Info']Sweed will not be a 2nd round pick. I think he'll go in the top 20 right now after his combine workout. Very tough to find a 6'4" WR that can run a 4.4 and when healthy he shows up in the big games. He'll be the first WR off the board to either Buffalo, Minnesota, or Philadelphia. Also I love Flacco a lot as he reminds me of more athletic Drew Bledsoe (superb arm, almost 6' 7", very good accuracy, can roll out of the pocket and make throws, good intangibles).

quote]

I'm pulling for the 49ers to get Justin Smith, we need a Pass Rusher, and with one of the top 5 LB's in the NFL (Patrick Willis), Lawson coming back from injury, that's a crazy defense. Just hoping we do something at the WR position.[/QUOTE]

We still need a QB as well :)

[quote name='DomLando'][quote name='ph33r m3']

We still need a QB as well :)[/quote]

again.. give me a wr that can take some pressure off that running game and we'll see if Alex Smith is not the answer...I wouldn't give up on him yet.. same with Rex Grossman.. everyone wants to win now..

[quote name='DJSteel'][quote name='DomLando']

again.. give me a wr that can take some pressure off that running game and we'll see if Alex Smith is not the answer...I wouldn't give up on him yet.. same with Rex Grossman.. everyone wants to win now..[/QUOTE]

Again, even when Gore was the third best rusher in the league, Alex Smith looked just average. Smith and Grossman are both average to below average QB's. Wr's can only help so much. When you have a QB that cannot read defenses and get the ball to the right people a WR will not help.\ as much as you think.

[quote name='H-Town Info']Jeez, I think my Houston Texans GM did pretty well take Mario Williams over Reggie Bush or else everyone will call for his head. Plus, Mendenhall will be fine as the 18th pick in the draft. If you think Shockley is going to be the QB of the Falcons, the GM should go out into the woodshed and shoot himself over and over. Shockley will never ever amount to anything in the NFL. He's just a poor poor man's version of Vick. He's too much of Running QB than Passing QB. Plus what durability issues does stewart have? He rushed for nearly 1750 yds this season and played in 35 games in his 3 years at Oregon, so don't tell me he has durability issues. And he's a mid-first round pick like Mendenhall and not a top 3 pick.

I dont think they need McFadden and they need to go after Ryan, Jake Long, or one of the 3 defensive linemen that are left over from the first 2 picks. IMO, you have to go after people in the trenches (O-line and D-Line) or find that franchise QB (maybe Ryan) more than a franchise RB. Look at Minnesota before Peterson got there, they have a good LT in McKinnie, LG in Hutchensen (best guard in the NFL), and Matt Birk at C (pro-bowler) for their O-line that helped Chester Taylor rushed for nearly 1200 yds. And then everyone knows about what Peterson did this past season. I'm not doubting Peterson or Taylor's talent and ability but it does help to have nearly 3-pro bowl calibur players on your O-line to help lead the way. Like they always say, you win the games in the trenches. I dont know if read my post, but if McFadden wants to bounce everything to the outside he's going to get killed by 4.3-4.6 speed defensive players going after him. I agree that McFadden is the top prospect out of the RBs but i think he could be the biggest bust of them all.[/QUOTE]

Please, please start knowing what you're talking about before you actually do it.

Shockley had a damn impressive camp last year under Petrino. If it weren't for his injury, he would have started games ahead of Leftwich, and may have been the starter by the end of the year.

Shockley has a much better arm and accuracy than Vick ever dreamed of having. He's a throw-first QB that has the talent to do as many things as Vick did on the ground. As someone who followed him in college and at camp, I think I know what I'm talking about.

As for Stewart, he only made 27 starts. From Scouts, Inc:
Stewart has battled durability issues throughout his career, but he also has shown toughness playing through several injuries. If he can avoid the injury bug at the next level, Stewart has a chance to emerge.

That's a huge risk to take on someone that's a mid-1st pick, and it's something that nearly all the draft experts have as a huge asterisk next to his name. You have to wonder if the reason he left early was to cash in on a good season, or to avoid a potentially career-ending injury in his senior season before he would get paid.

You also have to wonder how much is he a product of the system, with the success of Dixon and Johnson as well. With all those questions, especially potential injuries playing on TurfGrass eight games a year? I hope the Falcons pass.

Chris Long or Jake Long would both be excellent picks. I'm not quite sold on Dorsey, though.

As far as Atlanta's needs go, they need quite a few things. Safety, for one, is a huge hole they will need to draft and grab a free agent or two. You certainly need a QB for the future, if indeed they aren't planning for Shockley to be it. They need a blocking TE. They need a corner who doesn't run his mouth all the time. They'll need at least one good OL.

If the Falcons draft one of the Longs, I hope they can get Woodson and one of the other top RBs (Chris Johnson might fit well), as well as some good quality pieces to help shore up the bench.

If Jake Long is sitting there at #3, don't be surprised if the Chiefs package a second and fifth/sixth to move up and grab him, as Oakland is probably looking at him, too.

I see the following, considering no one trades:
Miami - C. Long
St. Louis - J. Long
Atlanta - McFadden
Oakland - Dorsey
KC - Clady
NYJ - Ellis
Pats - I can't see the Pats staying at this spot, period. But...Jackson.
Ravens - Ryan
Cincy - Gholston
NO - Jenkins

ok i'm probably wrong about shockley. I'm not worried about Stewart being dinged up a bit. But hey, Peterson was injured his soph. and junior seasons and he was a top 10 pick. I'm still waiting for u to tell me about mcfadden.

I looked at some film of McFadden, and while he likes to go outside, he also has great vision, and is more than willing to follow his blockers. He also will run over and challenge people when it's called for. Take a look at some of the YouTube vids out there and you'll see what I'm talking about. The Falcons have a good FB to get him the blocks, and I think he could do very well in a Mularkey system.

I think if he works a little bit on his patience, perhaps develop a pre-1st step before he explodes, he could put in quite a few great seasons.

[quote name='DomLando'][quote name='DJSteel']

Again, even when Gore was the third best rusher in the league, Alex Smith looked just average. Smith and Grossman are both average to below average QB's. Wr's can only help so much. When you have a QB that cannot read defenses and get the ball to the right people a WR will not help.\ as much as you think.[/quote]

give him sometime man.. some qbs take a little longer to develop...everyone sees Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Big Ben, etc winning SBs and they think that their QB should be doing that...

[quote name='DJSteel'][quote name='DomLando']

give him sometime man.. some qbs take a little longer to develop...everyone sees Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Big Ben, etc winning SBs and they think that their QB should be doing that...[/QUOTE]

Alex Smith had 3 full seasons. He did worse his third season then his second. If you watch the Niners you would see he is not improving in any way and still looks like the same QB he was his first season.

Soemthing else I wanted to mention:

Be it right or wrong, the fans in Atlanta (when it comes to the Falcons and Hawks) favor style over substance. They'll let little things like near-career ending injuries (Chris Chandler) and dogfighting slide so that they can get a good show. A majority of the people who fill the Georgia Dome are black, and they want to see a black star. They've lost Vick, Crumpler, and (hopefully) Hall. That's #s 1-3 in terms of jersey sales. People like players like Brooking, but he doesn't get as much credit because #1, he's white, and #2 he's not flashy. People don't buy tickets to see Keith Brooking.

It might sound racist, but unfortunately it's 100% true for this franchise. In some respects, they are going to have to consider that with their pick. McFadden will sell jerseys. Woodson will sell jerseys.

And unfortunately, that's just the truth of the matter.

[quote name='DomLando']
Alex Smith had 3 full seasons. He did worse his third season then his second. If you watch the Niners you would see he is not improving in any way and still looks like the same QB he was his first season.[/quote]

when the team played the Steelers, they were in it most of the game.. He had no one to throw to, when he had the time.. He had one bad play that resulted in an interceptions. The problems I see with Alex Smith is the coaching staff is not addressing the issues with Smith's performance.. much like Steelers did with Kordell Stewart. Another thing I might add is that he had 2 different OC in 3 years. I saw him progress with Norv Turner.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Soemthing else I wanted to mention:

Be it right or wrong, the fans in Atlanta (when it comes to the Falcons and Hawks) favor style over substance. They'll let little things like near-career ending injuries (Chris Chandler) and dogfighting slide so that they can get a good show. A majority of the people who fill the Georgia Dome are black, and they want to see a black star. They've lost Vick, Crumpler, and (hopefully) Hall. That's #s 1-3 in terms of jersey sales. People like players like Brooking, but he doesn't get as much credit because #1, he's white, and #2 he's not flashy. People don't buy tickets to see Keith Brooking.

It might sound racist, but unfortunately it's 100% true for this franchise. In some respects, they are going to have to consider that with their pick. McFadden will sell jerseys. Woodson will sell jerseys.

And unfortunately, that's just the truth of the matter.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't help that Atlanta is one of the worst sports towns in America.

I like Shockley, I think he can amount to something in this league, give him a try. But, maybe i'm just taking a shout in the dark, but the 49ers fans might know this, everytime I watch Chris Long, I see John Engleberger.

Alex Smith, I think will do better this year, last year the team was a fluke, way better than they showed. They just need to give him some help, i'd love to see a signing of Bernard Berrian (Who's daughter lives in Fresno). We need a #1 reciever, no more of this bullshit, trading for Darrell Jackson, keeping Arnaz Battle, or trying to make Taylor Jacobs a top player.

I'm totally sold on McFadden, if I had the top pick i'd take him, but Miami does have Brown, so i'd assume they'd take Jake Long, who apparently put up better stats at the Combine then Joe Thomas.

Kevin Smith, I have as the 3rd best RB, behind McFadden and Mendenhall, trust me, watch some game tape on this guy, big, strong, and fast.

[quote name='DJSteel']when the team played the Steelers, they were in it most of the game.. He had no one to throw to, when he had the time.. He had one bad play that resulted in an interceptions. The problems I see with Alex Smith is the coaching staff is not addressing the issues with Smith's performance.. much like Steelers did with Kordell Stewart. Another thing I might add is that he had 2 different OC in 3 years. I saw him progress with Norv Turner.[/QUOTE]

He had decent WR's. Jackson, Battle and Vernon Davis. Not to mention Gore is a good receiver out of the backfield. I do agree that the coaches are a problem and changing coordinators all the time does not help. But if you watch him play week in and out he still makes rookie mistakes. He has NO pocket presence. He makes the same mistakes week in and out. Qbs drafted that high are usually hit or miss. Smith is plain and simple, a bust.

Atlanta has the same problem as Phoenix and several other warm weather cities. The majority of folks who live there aren't from there.

[quote name='DJSteel']when the team played the Steelers, they were in it most of the game.. He had no one to throw to, when he had the time.. He had one bad play that resulted in an interceptions. The problems I see with Alex Smith is the coaching staff is not addressing the issues with Smith's performance.. much like Steelers did with Kordell Stewart. Another thing I might add is that he had 2 different OC in 3 years. I saw him progress with Norv Turner.[/quote]

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but he's had 4 differnet OC's. McCarthy, Turner, Hostler and now Martz.

That Steelers game he played well, the INT wasn't his fault, if I remember it was either Battle or Jackson? Who went short on a route.

I'm still on the fence about Smith, I think the pressure of Hill will be good for him. He needs to get rid of the ball faster, he has 0 pocket presence that hopefully through Martz's system will help.

[quote name='dafoomie']It doesn't help that Atlanta is one of the worst sports towns in America.[/QUOTE]

Not true. However, what doesn't help is the transient nature of the city. Most people who live and work IN Atlanta are from other major metro cities like Boston, Chicago and New York.

The other issue teams have is the inadequate mass transportation, especially in the case of the Braves. It was a mistake not to put MARTA into Atlanta-Fulton County, and it was a bigger mistake not to put it into Turner Field.

The Falcons don't have near this problem because A) they don't play at the start of America's worst rush hours, and B) have a MARTA station almost directly underneath the Dome (and directly underneath Phillips Arena).

Berrian is a deep threat receiver, not a #1 stud.. I would have gone after him if you still had your draft spot and you were thinking of going after Limas Sweed.

[quote name='DomLando']He had decent WR's. Jackson, Battle and Vernon Davis. Not to mention Gore is a good receiver out of the backfield. I do agree that the coaches are a problem and changing coordinators all the time does not help. But if you watch him play week in and out he still makes rookie mistakes. He has NO pocket presence. He makes the same mistakes week in and out. Qbs drafted that high are usually hit or miss. Smith is plain and simple, a bust.[/quote]

Jackson is not a #1, Battle is a better #3 than a #2, and Vernon Davis hasn't done anything really for being drafted as high as he was... You have teams stacking the box against the run because they know that none of the WRs can get open consistently.

[quote name='DJSteel']Berrian is a deep threat receiver, not a #1 stud.. I would have gone after him if you still had your draft spot and you were thinking of going after Limas Sweed.[/quote]

I'll take Joe Staley over the #7 pick anytime. Staley played amazing this year for a rook' and looks to be a stud on our o-line. I'm down with Berrian, because we have to adapt to Martz's system, which is slants, deep curls, and play action draws.

So far our recievers, don't have anything similar to that.

Jackson- Sucks, drops passes, gives me high blood pressure.
Battle-Possesion reciever, I like him, keep him.
Jason Hill- Utter wildcard, don't know how he'll play.

I'd take a re-signing of Antonio Bryant, he was the only one who seemed to give a flying fuck.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Oh, and if for some reason Manningham were to fall to a mid 2nd rounder (I don't see it), I think he'd be a great addition as well.[/quote]

Brandon "David Terrell part deux" Manningham.

If he's in the 2nd, i'd take the risk, but he has bust written all over him.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Brandon "David Terrell part deux" Manningham.

If he's in the 2nd, i'd take the risk, but he has bust written all over him.[/QUOTE]

Mario.

And I see a bit more desire in actually getting up in the morning than I did Terrell.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Mario.

And I see a bit more desire in actually getting up in the morning than I did Terrell.[/quote]

Yeah, dunno why the hell I said Brandon...

James Landry from Indiana is jumping up the boards, need to look up on this guy.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Not true. However, what doesn't help is the transient nature of the city. Most people who live and work IN Atlanta are from other major metro cities like Boston, Chicago and New York.

The other issue teams have is the inadequate mass transportation, especially in the case of the Braves. It was a mistake not to put MARTA into Atlanta-Fulton County, and it was a bigger mistake not to put it into Turner Field.

The Falcons don't have near this problem because A) they don't play at the start of America's worst rush hours, and B) have a MARTA station almost directly underneath the Dome (and directly underneath Phillips Arena).[/QUOTE]
The transient nature of the city is one issue, the other is that its a warm weather city with lots of other things to do than watch an expensive sporting event. Sports traditionally do better in cold weather cities.

[quote name='dafoomie']The transient nature of the city is one issue, the other is that its a warm weather city with lots of other things to do than watch an expensive sporting event. Sports traditionally do better in cold weather cities.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's other things to do, but the real issue is traffic and ease of getting to the venue. There's things going on every day, but not things that are going on every day if you get my meaning.

If I could drive to the stadium and it not take an hour to get out of the parking lot, or be able to ride the train directly to the stadium, I'd go to Braves games all the time.

[quote name='dafoomie']The transient nature of the city is one issue, the other is that its a warm weather city with lots of other things to do than watch an expensive sporting event. Sports traditionally do better in cold weather cities.[/quote]

Add in the fact the most warm, team-owning cities haven't had dynasties like the Steelers, Packers, 49ers, Yankees, etc...

[quote name='DJSteel']Add in the fact the most warm, team-owning cities haven't had dynasties like the Steelers, Packers, 49ers, Yankees, etc...[/quote]

Dallas Cowboys, only team I can think of.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Dallas Cowboys, only team I can think of.[/QUOTE]

though they haven't won that many titles, you could also add in the Braves

[quote name='fart_bubble']though they haven't won that many titles, you could also add in the Braves[/QUOTE]

??? They won the Same Amount as the 49ers and Steelers. 5 Super Bowl Victories....

[quote name='pimpinc333']??? They won the Same Amount as the 49ers and Steelers. 5 Super Bowl Victories....[/QUOTE]

You misread his post.

Baseball is different, anyways. Being a warm weather sport, and all.

[quote name='fart_bubble']though they haven't won that many titles, you could also add in the Braves[/quote]

not sure about the Braves...

[quote name='DJSteel']Add in the fact the most warm, team-owning cities haven't had dynasties like the Steelers, Packers, 49ers, Yankees, etc...[/QUOTE]
Thats because they haven't had teams for nearly as long as we have. Their teams are newer, and they don't have the tradition that they do here. You grew up a fan of the team, your father did, his father did, etc... They don't have that, and they really don't understand that.

[quote name='dafoomie']They don't have that, and they really don't understand that.[/QUOTE]

You really have no clue what you're talking about.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You really have no clue what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]
I don't think you know what it is that I'm talking about.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't think you know what it is that I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

You've made an incorrect statement about something southern, which is pretty commonplace for you.

[quote name='dafoomie']Thats because they haven't had teams for nearly as long as we have. Their teams are newer, and they don't have the tradition that they do here. You grew up a fan of the team, your father did, his father did, etc... They don't have that, and they really don't understand that.[/quote]

Don't know about that, my dad was born in England, so he doesn't really have any affiliation with any team. I just follow the 49ers because I was born there, my cousins live in Europe, and love the Cowboys. It has nothing to do with teams being 'newer'.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You've made an incorrect statement about something southern, which is pretty commonplace for you.[/QUOTE]
I was actually referring to the West Coast teams. The South has a rich tradition in several sports.

bread's done
Back