NHL 09 CAG Team 2.0 - CAG Hockey Night - On Hiatus - Have a great summer! :)

My Condolences to you guys.

We'll get a win tonight, no problem.

I need an invite btw. I think my # is 3 if you wanna edit that in the op.

Hey guys. I definitely want to play tonight but I'm on the west coast so I won't be able to get online at 8pm EST. I'll be on later and hopefully some of you will still be there. Please feel free to add me to your friends list.

I've also been getting pretty good... not great... but good. Look forward to playing with you all.

Thanks!!!

Shady And taco we are sorry. Please let us know if we can do anything. The sex panthers will not be the same without you. Hope to see you guys soon.

Jello. Welcome aboard. Hope Im still up when you get on.

Would any of you guys be interested in practice nights? Maybe we can set up some practice 5 - 0 5- 2 type things so we can practice working together and passing drills and all? Maybe get a little more familar with other players or work out how we want to handle who digs the puck out setting up plays that sort of thing.

If you guys member the pens team we played. I want that.

just a thought. Let me know. I think it would help alot. Not playing a game just working together get the cycling game going. I think we generally do pretty good covering d but we can't score. If we could get some goals then we can clamp it down on d. But we have to get those first goals!

That could be cool, if we could get 10 on we can just do private OTP games, or even with 5 we could have the 3 forwards on one team and 2 d on the other to practice both D and O at the same time

For those of you still on the old team, make sure you go into the club screen (where it shows the roster), select yourself, and choose "leave club". I can't send you an invite if you don't do that. I'm about to hop on in a minute, so I'll send invites to those who are ready for one.

I think you can invite people even in a club, but as soon as I finish this pick up game i'll quit the current club

I'll leave the old club here soon. Just wanted to let everyone know I may join in here for a bit, then I'm gonna watch the World Baseball Classic game at 10:30PM ET with a few pals.

Thanks guys. I was on playing Castle Crashers with my bro, but I didn't bring NHL with me so I couldn't jump on. Hopefully you guys could bring home a couple wins for Team CAG and hopefully I'll be back on next week.

Posted this in the previous thread, but we are starting to fall back into the same thing:

Also, as a defenseman, it is frustrating when the forwards fall back too much. The wingers really need to stay with their pointmen, and the center should fall back to the low slot when the puck gets to the endboards. When all the wingers and center fall back, it's hard to cover as a defensemen because there are to many people to skate around. Also, one we get the puck, it's easier to break out since their defensemen/pointmen will not have as much ice to set up a wall since our wingers are already in their face.

And when we are attacking, don't forget about us on the point! When all three forwards are low in the slot, and there isn't room to maneuver and there is no shot, send it back to one of us. CHances are, we'll have a good shot with a screen since their are so many bodies, or we can play quarterback by slowing the play down, giving you a chance to break from your marker, and passing it to an open man.

Finally, don't forget that you can skate to the sideboards. Basically, every single game we played, as soon as we crossed the blue line into the offensive zone, everyone broke towards that middle and created a bottleneck.

Another thing that we have been doing a lot lately is cheating on the rush. Quite a few people are breaking into the offensive zone before we even get possession of the puck. When we don't get possession, we are automatically down a man. In addition, when people break early and end up getting the puck, it takes far too long for everyone else to get down the ice to set up.

Also, skaters need to create separation. Again, there are MANY, MANY, times where a skater is ahead of the puck carrier. He is being marked by the other team, but continues to skate straight ahead, the puck carrier will pass the puck up to avoid the offsides, but the person receiving the pass will immediately get hit or lose control. We need to watch who we are passing to- if there is an opposing player next to a person, don't pass it to them. Use the neutral zone to create space betwwen ourselves and their players before we move into their zone.

For cross creases, defensemen can easily stop them. Just lay down directly in front and center of the goal, and any type of cross crease pass will not go through. Defensemen should be the only one's diving so the forwards can quickly get the play going the other way once possesion is regained.

Sorry I got off so early, right after n8 knocked my ass out my disc drive started clicking and I knew what was coming -- this disc is unreadable.

So basically, n8 knocked out my NHL 09 as well.

Let me add some to what moojuice is saying. We tried cycling the puck and even got a goal out of it when I was playing where we all got in on it (Moojuice and Vulcan assisted me), Even though the goal was ugly.

When I'm playing behind the net, as I like to do a lot, at least one person has to drive towards the net or get in some kind of close positioning, not just for a chance to score but to drag a Defenseman or two along with you to open up more room on the ice. Let the D hang back and/or pinch if they have to, they're much better since the patch from what I saw in limited time.

Don't be afraid to pass back when in our zone. Routinely when playing Center I'll drop around and loop back in an effort to help out someone on our team when I can see a player on another team coming at them, or they're closing off the ice ahead of that same player. Passing back creates more ice to work with in almost all cases.

We can adopt a zone type D, basically the D men have behind the net on their respective side, the C has the front of the net and the wingers the point men. You then cycle the D appropriatley in the zone. For example, if the puck is in the left corner, the right wing doesn't need to be on the right point, they can float more central and cover either high slot/get between the pointmen to try and cut off any pass from the corner to the opposite slot

As a general rule I agree that seperation is key, a lot of times playing online (not just with you guys) forwards tend to bunch up where the puck is. While this may be good as far as rebounds are concerned, it also makes defense easy. I like to get behind the net to give an option to pass around, but a lot of people don't take it. I also often get open on the point and no one ever passes there during a game either.

If we can do a practice one night that would be great, as it would allow us to try these things out and figure out what is and isn't working. Especially if we can do 5 on 5, since we can literally take it slow and do a "Walk through" of breakouts, positioning, etc. Only problem is if I understand correctly only 8 people can be in a party right? So that would need to be worked out.

I think we should do some type of practice tomorrow afternoon/night or just play some OTP.

It's basically the first day in a long while where I have absolutely nothing at all to do/accomplish.

[quote name='moojuice']Get your games done by next Monday (March 16th).[/quote]

*paging Matt Young...

Matt, you have too many hobbies. Less bitches, more NHL 09. True dat.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']*paging Matt Young...

Matt, you have too many hobbies. Less bitches, more NHL 09. True dat.[/QUOTE]

This. Let me know when we can get ours done.

From the old thread:

[quote name='Matt Young'] I am most available on weekends (Friday-Sunday). Through the week, I am guaranteed to be out of the house at the following hours due to school, commuting to and from school, and going to the gym, and thus NOT available. All times Pacific:

Monday/Wednesday: anytime before 2:30 P.M.; Weds. 6-8 P.M.
Tuesday/Thursday: anytime before 5:30 P.M. Thursday; before 8 P.M. Tuesday[/quote]

Lets try to schedule around that.

my games are all done, see ya'll (hopefully) in the playoffs...

For the next league, can we do team selection in opposite order of finish? I think that would be the most fair.

Also, maybe up the number of games to 3?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']For those of you still on the old team, make sure you go into the club screen (where it shows the roster), select yourself, and choose "leave club". I can't send you an invite if you don't do that. I'm about to hop on in a minute, so I'll send invites to those who are ready for one.[/QUOTE]

Left old club and ready to suit up.

YAH! Sex Panthers win one!

Chunky and I got our first win! YAH! It was SEX 5 - can 3.

Chunky got 2 Goals and 1 Assist (Second Star) and Myself got 0 Goals and 5 Assists(First Star) :D. Yet I got a C for Team Play. Go figure.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']YAH! Sex Panthers win one!

Chunky and I got our first win! YAH! It was SEX 5 - can 3.

Chunky got 2 Goals and 1 Assist (Second Star) and Myself got 0 Goals and 5 Assists(First Star) :D. Yet I got a C for Team Play. Go figure.[/QUOTE]

Nice job on the win. Sorry I turned off the xbox so abruptly, my wife was yelling at me to get off the xbox.

Just picked this game up and I'd love to get in on this (after I learn how to play a little bit, anyway). Would it be better for the team if I learned how to play as any particular position? Just glancing at the first page, it looks like you guys are split up pretty evenly, but I'm not sure if anybody in particular is around more often than others.

This is just anecdotal, but it seems like when we have 4 or 5 guys, we'll have an AI defenseman more than anything else, so it might be best to learn defenseman. But we all kind of shuffle around usually anyway, so you can probably just learn whatever position you like best, and then be flexible.

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']Just picked this game up and I'd love to get in on this (after I learn how to play a little bit, anyway). Would it be better for the team if I learned how to play as any particular position? Just glancing at the first page, it looks like you guys are split up pretty evenly, but I'm not sure if anybody in particular is around more often than others.[/quote]

My two cents on the subject of positions is this, if you can learn to score, and learn to score well, by all means take charge, and make yourself a forward. But if scoring isn't your thing, learn to play good D. Obviously, you're not going to be great at scoring as soon as you get the game, but depending on your prior experience with hockey games, understanding of the sport, natural skill, etc. you may be better suited for it.

If not, we always need good defensemen. The operative word there being "good". What we don't need are defensemen getting beat on the rush all the time because they're trying to pinch in on the action wanting to score. I see that happen so much with randoms it pisses me off to no end. Just go with your strengths man...and feel free to improve at other positions as you learn. I play center most of the time, but if someone can score/create scoring opportunities more than me, I'll gladly take a back seat.

I'll be on tonight around 8 est. after I get back from work so if anyone wants to play OTP and get us another win just send me a message.

My mic has been giving me trouble so if I'm not talking thats why.

I "should" be on around then. I think we are taking a break from the baby dancing tonight. I may end up watching a movie though. We have two netflicks movies that we have had for about a month now. Just can't ever get them watched. Your phycidelic right. Send me another friend invite. I didn't realize who you were the last time. I thought you were a random from halo for cod 4.

I should be on tonight after 9-10 central, I have to work tonight late so I'll be playing for a bit to keep myself awake.

I'm trying out defensive d-man, I see the value of having a human on D instead of 3 forwards, so going to try it out and see how I like it. Besides, changing positions every once in a while is fun :p

The only thing you have to be carefull on d is not letting people behind you. You won't to join in on the rush and get up there to cover the point but....wait.. long pass... he skates in...RED LIGHT comes on. Thank you glitcher and glitch goal!!!

Yep, it would be nice if you could just cut off the pass knowing you are between them and the guy cherry picking, but the reality is you'll never catch it and they will be home free.

I set myself up so I can hit hard, pass and skate decently and have a booming shot. The rebounds i'm generating right now are amazing :p

I think it's great the we are on the way to having a clamp down defense. However as Mr. Hockey has said, If we don't start developing some scoring then it's not as effective. I can't score worth a lick; In the offline BAP mode the majority of my under 10 goals are empty netters. I had one from a shootout where I beat the goalie through the five hole, and another that was a redirection off his pad. i guess what I am trying to say is, it's great in all that we're putting a premium on defenders. However, I think we need to concentrate on developing players and plays that can put the puck in the net.

It's all about playing where you're effective. I can play D well (IMO) but I'm much more effective at Center or Right Wing.

I'll be on throughout the day, if anyone sees me on send a msg I'll hop on OTP.

EDIT*

I made a play diagram in the other thread before some of you guys joined and obviously pre-patch. It works well against opposing D that poke check aggressively or who over commit their area. It's a great play because most people don't cover that off-wing that well and gravitate towards where the puck is. Ignore my paint skills please ;)
hockeyrink1fo2.jpg

hockeyrink12hg4.jpg

hockeyrink123ef0.jpg

hockeyrink1234tg2.jpg

Pure Apathy made a video of the play after we did it to win in OT. From his vid description:

Flyersfan won the face off. GLOCKGLOCK got the puck from the face off and passed it to Flyersfan. Flyersfan then passed the puck to cubs2321 who shot it in to win the game. I watched and posed at the end.

Read some user comments, most agree it's a great play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbkXC8-lVg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Flyersfan']It's all about playing where you're effective. I can play D well (IMO) but I'm much more effective at Center or Right Wing.

I'll be on throughout the day, if anyone sees me on send a msg I'll hop on OTP.

Read some user comments, most agree it's a great play.

[/QUOTE]

The music is a nice touch too... :applause: ... my tag is cravintacobell, I know I can be on til 5 CT today.

Yep, that is a great play, i've used it before in the past. Only problem of course is if they cover the cross crease pass, but if you are paying attention and see that and go back to the point, you can virtually re-set and try it again.

I am also not a very good scorer, I'm decent for creating plays and making passes, but never been good at putting the biscuit in the basket so to speak, so scoring seems to certainly be an issue :p

[quote name='moojuice']You also need to meet the minimum skater grade.[/QUOTE]

what does that mean? Is there a place where I could find all this stuff?

Anyone know flyers fan's g/t?

Everyones GT is in the OP ;), I meant to send you a friend invite. Guess I'll do it now on xbox.com but I'm off for the time being.

Skater grade and everything is in the performance tracker menu if I remember right.

bread's done
Back