NHL 2k5 - CAGHL II: TURBO - thread one: locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i just created the league. the name is "CAGHL2turbo" and the password is, oddly enough, "CAG" (all caps). if you think the league name is dumb, sorry, but i wanted something that would be more distinctive than adding a 2 to the end of caghl (plus, they wouldn't let me use any punctuation or spaces). you can find the league by searching and typing in "cag", and then choose the appropriate league.

i tweaked the sliders a bit, but they're all near the default setting. there's no fighting, the game speed was turned down some, as was the camera zoom (default was half filled, so i turned it down 2 notches).

so that's that. everyone sign in.

[quote name='dafoomie']Pinning is on? Damn... Pinning is worse than fighting is. If you really want it though, I'll live with it.[/quote]

pinning can definitely be annoying, but it was on in the last league, so i figured i would keep it on in this one.

[quote name='EddieBelfour']i know it may be annoying, but its a huge part of a hockey game.[/quote]

It doesn't really add to the experience because it's rather clunky, not to mention that stuff that slow games down in a video game are generally not a good thing for the fun factor. Imagine a baseball video game that wasted 10 minutes of your time every time you changed a pitcher. Or a game that lasts 6.5 hours like a Yankee/Red Sox playoff game. Not so much fun in video game land.

[quote name='WildWop'][quote name='EddieBelfour']i know it may be annoying, but its a huge part of a hockey game.[/quote]

It doesn't really add to the experience because it's rather clunky, not to mention that stuff that slow games down in a video game are generally not a good thing for the fun factor. Imagine a baseball video game that wasted 10 minutes of your time every time you changed a pitcher. Or a game that lasts 6.5 hours like a Yankee/Red Sox playoff game. Not so much fun in video game land.[/quote]

yeah, but its hockey. thats what happens. i couldnt count the times on my fingers and toes that i've been pinned to the boards only to either a) kick it out to a player and score or b) weasel out and net one. i want to play as realistically as possible, and that's real. the game with ten pins to the boards woudl take away no time, since the clock runs. what do you mean it's clunky?

[quote name='WildWop']it may not "take away time" but it isn't as fun as going up and down the ice. In fact, it sucks.[/quote]

what do you mean its clunky? im not following here.

You telling me you think that the boardwork feels realistic in this game? It's like two magnets getting it on while slowly sliding along the boards.

[quote name='WildWop']You telling me you think that the boardwork feels realistic in this game? It's like two magnets getting it on while slowly sliding along the boards.[/quote]

that sounds really hot.

for real i do think it is fine, what do you think happens when you get pinned? you get stuck against the boards, kick the puck out. is all.

Yeah, which is pretty boring in execution in a video game. I find it dull in real life, too. Give me international rules hockey any day.

pinning can definitely be annoying, but it was on in the last league, so i figured i would keep it on in this one.
Pinning was off in the last league....

i know it may be annoying, but its a huge part of a hockey game.
So is fighting, and thats off. You know why? Because fighting in 2k5 sucks, so does pinning.

Again, if you really want it, I'll deal with it. I dunno why people like it though.

I vote yes for pinning and no for fighting.
Pinning is not a big deal in this game, the fighting is far worse and has a much more negatve impact on the game, IMHO.

I am with Cheapy. Fighting detracts from the game, but pinning is a part of the game.
I don't understand where you're coming from. Fighting is as much a part of hockey as pinning is, in fact, probably moreso. But they are both implemented poorly in this game.

[quote name='dafoomie']
I am with Cheapy. Fighting detracts from the game, but pinning is a part of the game.
I don't understand where you're coming from. Fighting is as much a part of hockey as pinning is, in fact, probably moreso. But they are both implemented poorly in this game.[/quote]

I have to agree, fighting is all about strategy, distabilize the opponent and to gain momentum, but like you said the fighting isn't that good in 2K5.

I say drop fighting and pinning.

oh one more thing: GO SOX !

[quote name='zewone']I want to change my team to Ottowa if thats alright. I don't think anybody chose them as a team.[/quote]

go for it. just drop from the league and then rejoin. if that doesn't work, let me know...but it should.

to everyone else: sign in! there's still 5 people that need to register: wildwop, doubledown, cheapyd, flybrione, and lorik. although i'm not worried about the first four, i sent lorik a PM two days ago (after he posted in this thread), and he has yet to respond, or even read it. obviously i'll give some more time, but how long should i give? probably until he's the only person not signed in.

[quote name='thatstoobad']
to everyone else: sign in! there's still 5 people that need to register: wildwop, doubledown, cheapyd, flybrione, and lorik. although i'm not worried about the first four, i sent lorik a PM two days ago (after he posted in this thread), and he has yet to respond, or even read it. obviously i'll give some more time, but how long should i give? probably until he's the only person not signed in.[/quote]

I'm hoping this doesnt reflect on how timely the games are going to be played.

Well, if that last guy doesn't join in, and no other people have already posted that they want to join this league, I'd like to. If I can, just send me a PM.

[quote name='bkrobson'][quote name='thatstoobad']
to everyone else: sign in! there's still 5 people that need to register: wildwop, doubledown, cheapyd, flybrione, and lorik. although i'm not worried about the first four, i sent lorik a PM two days ago (after he posted in this thread), and he has yet to respond, or even read it. obviously i'll give some more time, but how long should i give? probably until he's the only person not signed in.[/quote]

I'm hoping this doesnt reflect on how timely the games are going to be played.[/quote]

All signed up. All I needed was a decent night's sleep to have enough functional time to sign up for the league. The late Yankees games combined with early work nearly killed me.

I'd like a lawn chair, some popcorn, and a spot outside of Steinbrenner's office, by the way. The fire sale will be VERY entertaining. I just hope he doesn't fire Torre. Look how far he got with a team that had two pitchers and a closer/closer.5 for the whole season.

[quote name='doubledown']sj41 can take my spot.....

Sorry, things are busy....plus trying to get the NBA league going[/quote]

...alright.

sj41, i'll send you a PM in case you don't notice this, but otherwise, go ahead and sign in. you have your pick at any team other than the ones that have been spoken for.

otherwise, we're still waiting on lorik and flybrione. flybrione has read the PM i sent him, but lorik still hasn't.

[quote name='thatstoobad'][quote name='doubledown']sj41 can take my spot.....

Sorry, things are busy....plus trying to get the NBA league going[/quote]

...alright.

sj41, i'll send you a PM in case you don't notice this, but otherwise, go ahead and sign in. you have your pick at any team other than the ones that have been spoken for.

otherwise, we're still waiting on lorik and flybrione. flybrione has read the PM i sent him, but lorik still hasn't.[/quote]I'll join tonight. Thanks for lrtting me into the league even though I asked late. :) I wasn't sure a week ago if I wanted to be in another league since things have been really messed up with these, but it's fun to play the games. Look forward to playing. :)

alright, there are still two spots left for people to sign in, so it's now in a first come, first serve type of thing. i PMed gojtron about the league, because i know that he'll play his games, and now he's signed in as the red wings.

so if you are reading this and want to be in one of the last two spots, go ahead and sign into the league through xbox live. you can choose any team that is still available, just make sure to be committed to playing your games. once again, the name of the league is "caghl2turbo" and the password is "CAG" (all caps). let's actually make this league work. thanks.

Signed in as the Phoenix Coyotes since Dallas was taken awhile back. :( I'll try and do good with this team, though.

[quote name='sj41']Signed in as the Phoenix Coyotes since Dallas was taken awhile back. :( I'll try and do good with this team, though.[/quote]

that team is actually stellar. i would make a few moves that makes them a bit quicker on the wings- though, if the rosters were updated they woudl have brett hull if im not mistaken (can anyone confirm?). not that this essentially makes them quicker- it sure does make them more experienced- but with a first line of doan, nagy and langkow, you really cant get much better. just my two cents

good luck all and i hope we can get the games going sooooooon :D

ok cool. everyone has signed in, so i'll generate the schedule tomorrow.

i'll try and keep the original post of this thread up to date with any current information, like play-by dates and stuff like that, incase any of you don't feel like checking the ESPN league website.

the schedule is now up. we have a week to play our games, but let's see if we can get them done early.

here's the schedule:
Atlanta @ Philadelphia
Montreal @ Boston
Detroit @ Calgary
Colorado @ Tampa Bay
Phoenix @ Columbus
New Jersey @ Dallas
NY Rangers @ Los Angeles
St. Louis @ NY Islanders
Toronto @ San Jose

[quote name='dafoomie']If you're my opponent for the week, PM me here instead of on ESPN. I almost never look there.[/quote]

i agree. i think that everyone should either use AIM, email, XBL messaging, or PMing through the CAG website to communicate. the ESPN website doesn't send out an email when you get a PM (i don't think), so it's not very convenient.

[quote name='METH']Whats week 1 deadline ? Saturday the 30th or Sunday the 31st?[/quote]

i set it up yesterday, so i believe that saturday is the last day you can play your game.

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='EddieBelfour']puck drops tonight 815 EST for ATL @ PHILLY[/quote]
Dead meat.[/quote]

that's cool man, real cool.

you better be there at 8:13 waiting. i told you what to tell roeNECK. :evil:

Me and Meth have a bit of a... Scheduling conflict, so we won't be able to play our game until Sunday. I hope its not a big deal.

[quote name='dafoomie']Me and Meth have a bit of a... Scheduling conflict, so we won't be able to play our game until Sunday. I hope its not a big deal.[/quote]

I hope not, because i don't want this classic Habs VS Bruins game to be simulated. :lol:

[quote name='METH'][quote name='dafoomie']Me and Meth have a bit of a... Scheduling conflict, so we won't be able to play our game until Sunday. I hope its not a big deal.[/quote]

I hope not, because i don't want this classic Habs VS Bruins game to be simulated. :lol:[/quote]

yeah, playing it sunday will be fine. you actually have until the end of the day sunday to play, so as long as everyone's games are done by november 1, everything will be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back