Nier PS3 (reprint) -$19.99 - Gamestop

JohnnySucco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Looks like Gamestop has reprinted :ps3: Nier and is selling it for $19.99.  There are over 10 copies available online and it has shown up at every local store within 100 miles of me.   I stopped in a store and can confirm that they are complete copies with manuals/artwork.  Using the Kongregate coupons or the B2G1 coupons it's not a bad deal considering used complete copies sell for around $40.  

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/nier/75034

Maybe the reprint is promo for the as-yet-unannounced sequel, Phar. :D

:eek: geez.. this was on clearance at kmart a year ago for $6..
I think I got it for around that...maybe less...at Sears or Toys R Us a few years ago. Didn't even know it was rare now. Still have it sitting in my backlog unplayed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Because once the game gets started (after the silly fetch quests), it has one of the best storylines and a lot more depth than 95% of the games on the market.
Eh - only the last 20-25% of the game is compelling narrative. People who call this a masterpiece are putting WAY too much stock into the ending (and by that I mean the true ending), which while I'll admit was a nice touch, hardly justifies the generally lackluster, tediously boring game play and design. The writing gets better but Nier is hailed by JRPG enthusiasts in large part because the genre last gen was overall unoriginal and mostly disappointing. In other words, low bar and Nier was slightly above average.

There are a lot of PS2 JRPGs that are substantially better than this game.

Ordered a copy along with The Sims 3: Pets for Xbox 360. These are two games I will probably never play, but hell, it was only $36, and they'll look good on my shelf!

Can someone tell GS to reprint Afrika? I'm trying to find a complete copy of this game via GS for a year now with no luck.

Can someone tell GS to reprint Afrika? I'm trying to find a complete copy of this game via GS for a year now with no luck.
I got a complete copy from Best Buy a while back, but it looks like it's no longer available for shipping there. Might be worth checking the store inventory around you, though.

I got a complete copy from Best Buy a while back, but it looks like it's no longer available for shipping there. Might be worth checking the store inventory around you, though.
Oh yeah I've already checked that. Inventory still shows unavailable in my area. I prefer via GS for $12 after PUR and Bday coupon.

Nier's no masterpiece, but definitely my diamond in the rough of last gen. Games like this are perfect candidates for an "HD remake" if it could be done cost effectively. Great music.

Just bought a "disc-only" copy from GS like 2 weeks ago. Makes sense this would happen :bomb:

Luckily I got it at a steep discount ($5 Kongregate coupon + 20% off), so I'm not TOO miffed.

I believe all of the reprint ones are complete. The ones I've seen locally that arrived this week look pretty much brand new with books and artwork.
Picked mine up last night. It's complete and very new. You can tell GS just opened the shrink wrap to sell it as used. The plastic cover is nice and slippery, not grimy and dirty used copy.

Maybe the reprint is promo for the as-yet-unannounced sequel, Phar. :D
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

(seriously, i LOL'D)

On topic, i really enjoyed this game, including all the subsequent playthroughs to see all the endings/get the full story. If you're a completionist, some of the side quests can be tedious, and there's a lot of grinding to do in order to earn all the components to forge the best weapons, but that stuff is all optional. Game was fun, story was interesting(and is tied to Drakengard), soundtrack was excellent. If you end up playing the game, love it, and can't get enough of it, look up Grimoire Nier on google, and it'll tell you far more about the game and its world than you ever could have gleaned by playing it. I'd figured once i got the final ending that i was done with Nier, but when i discovered Grimoire Nier, i ended up reading the whole damn thing.

On a side note, i was surprised to learn this game went rare. I picked up a copy back in 2010-11 at my local TRU, when they ran a BOGO on bargain bin games; this and Quantum of Solace for 360 cost me $10 total, and they must have had twenty copies of Nier.

I wonder: Can CAG community make a game rare? Like, we create a thread, say "Man, Haze for the PS3 is only $10 at Gamestop. This game is amazing and so rare!"

We can also throw up a few listings on eBay ... sellers will see the price go up and say, "Well, looks like this one is rare. I better sell it for $75, too!"

Honestly, we can make the price of Haze go up. 

I wonder: Can CAG community make a game rare? Like, we create a thread, say "Man, Haze for the PS3 is only $10 at Gamestop. This game is amazing and so rare!"

We can also throw up a few listings on eBay ... sellers will see the price go up and say, "Well, looks like this one is rare. I better sell it for $75, too!"

Sounds a little like price collusion...

Sounds like it would be pretty doable, if you could get enough of the CAG community behind it.

might as well make it America test kitchen DS lol since I still have so many copies that I can't even give away left over from the trade 2 promos

I'm behind this.

Haze needs more recognition.

People didn't appreciate Haze because it was ahead of its time.

I had wondered why the price seemed to be rising for this game.

Personally, I don't see the problem.  I think it is a good thing that an unappreciated game is getting more copies out there.  Personally, I hate the whole "collector" mentality out there.  I don't care if a game is rare or not, I just want to play it for a reasonable price.

Personally, I hate the whole "collector" mentality out there. I don't care if a game is rare or not, I just want to play it for a reasonable price.
Same here man. I only collect "collector/SE/CE/etc" for the most part because games are meant to be played. Maybe just me but if a game is that amazing and I don't want to get rid of it I'll at least let my friends borrow it...but usually when I'm done I'll sell it or even give it away. Much rather somebody who may normally not have played it (due to money issues or simply because it wasn't something they'd normally try) than it just sit on my shelf. :wall:

It's funny honestly, because I'd expect the two personalities to clash more here. I mean it's "cheap ass" gamer after all. Yet, a HUGE portion of the people here are all about making games potentially expensive for other people or inhibiting from others getting deals. :whistle2:k

Same here man. I only collect "collector/SE/CE/etc" for the most part because games are meant to be played. Maybe just me but if a game is that amazing and I don't want to get rid of it I'll at least let my friends borrow it...but usually when I'm done I'll sell it or even give it away. Much rather somebody who may normally not have played it (due to money issues or simply because it wasn't something they'd normally try) than it just sit on my shelf. :wall:

It's funny honestly, because I'd expect the two personalities to clash more here. I mean it's "cheap ass" gamer after all. Yet, a HUGE portion of the people here are all about making games potentially expensive for other people or inhibiting from others getting deals. :whistle2:k
It's cheapassgamer in the sense that we try to get things for as little as possible but it's just human nature to want your possessions to have value. I'm guilty of that myself. I don't know about "making" games more expensive but there's nothing wrong imo with collecting games just like you would figures or artwork.

Some insight on raising the price of Haze from $5.49 to $75: It would be for lolz. 

Good to see a lot of others have a sense of humor here.

I did some light ( ... ok fine heavy) thinking, and thought we could all post the game in the $60 - $80 range. If someone actually buys it (wow) we could do one of two things: Say the item was lost or damaged, cancel auction - no harm done. Or run to our nearest Gamestop, buy a copy and mail it over. I doubt anyone will actually spend this kind of money on the game, though. 

I'm more interested in doing this to prove a point: That the way prices are determined for *most* games is really stupid and has nothing to do with actual supply, but has everything to do with idiots on eBay, Amazon. 

Just picked up a mint used copy from my GS. Everything is there and looked like it was basically just an opened copy. So I'm happy.

As for Dark Sector, that was an excellent game.

*This thread, from start to end*

"Nier is on sale!"

"What is Nier?"

"it is an awesome game. Did not get great reviews, but is Drakengard 2.5. Might not be for everyone."

"It also has the best music!"

"Hey, why don't we troll resellers by listing the PS3 exclusive Haze for $75 on eBay and Amazon."

"Dark Sector was actually good."

*This thread, from start to end*

"Nier is on sale!"

"What is Nier?"

"it is an awesome game. Did not get great reviews, but is Drakengard 2.5. Might not be for everyone."

"It also has the best music!"

"Hey, why don't we troll resellers by listing the PS3 exclusive Haze for $75 on eBay and Amazon."

"Dark Sector was actually good."
Lmfao! I was thinking the same thing.

no ofense but this game suck i buyed it in 2010 4 full price and trade it in less than week later never even finish it boring bulls*** thats y it rare cus it sucks. just buy skyrim if u want good ps3 rpg.

Is there any way to tell the difference from the reprints to the originals like some other games? I was excited to grab another Nier I found to get a completed copy (my other copy had a missing manual). I was surprised to see that the copy I got seemed really new, but now this thread explained everything lol.

bread's done
Back