Nier PS3 (reprint) -$19.99 - Gamestop

JohnnySucco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Looks like Gamestop has reprinted :ps3: Nier and is selling it for $19.99.  There are over 10 copies available online and it has shown up at every local store within 100 miles of me.   I stopped in a store and can confirm that they are complete copies with manuals/artwork.  Using the Kongregate coupons or the B2G1 coupons it's not a bad deal considering used complete copies sell for around $40.  

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/nier/75034

Is there any way to tell the difference from the reprints to the originals like some other games? I was excited to grab another Nier I found to get a completed copy (my other copy had a missing manual). I was surprised to see that the copy I got seemed really new, but now this thread explained everything lol.
it dont matter the game suck thats y it is cheap and reprint

Saw a used copy of Nier at one of my local Gamestops, in mint condition. Couldn't bring myself to buy it after seeing a few YouTube vids of the game. Graphics looked terrible, game is a bit too bizarre and seems like it would drag on too long. Pass.

So. I don't know the legitimacy, but my GS has a few older employees that seem to really know their shit.

One told me about nier & asked if I had played it. So I asked about the reprint thing. He said GS doesn't reprint & for neir specifically his district manager said they had several thousand unopened copies & he had 5 sent to every store in his district to be opened & sold as used. Just to get them out of the watehouse. Said they were told to try to push them towards more hardcore gamers

Last edited by a moderator:
So. I don't know the legitimacy, but my GS has a few older employees that seem to really know their shit. One told me about nier & asked if I had played it. So I asked about the reprint thing. He said GS doesn't reprint & for neir specifically his district manager said they had several thousand unopened copies & he had 5 sent to every store in his district to be opened & sold as used. Just to get them out of the watehouse. Said they were told to try to push them towards more hardcore gamers
So the stores probably have them in their new games drawer still sealed? Maybe I could get a sealed one for $14.99 still. Every store near me has a used copy available almost.

Some people play and collect, you know. :whee: It's not just one or the other. :lol:
yeah, I 'collect' most of the games I buy to play ;) His post tells me he bought it only due to high pricing and he is mad his won't be worth as much as he wants. Whatever, I bought the game for $5 from TRU years ago, still is part of my backlog though lol

I'm just glad more people are playing this game. It starts a little slow, but man do I love it. It's in my personal top 10 ps3 games.

The reprints must not be everywhere yet.  I was able to pick up a 360 version at GameStop for $14.99.  It was definitely used and not a reprint.

So. I don't know the legitimacy, but my GS has a few older employees that seem to really know their shit. One told me about nier & asked if I had played it. So I asked about the reprint thing. He said GS doesn't reprint & for neir specifically his district manager said they had several thousand unopened copies & he had 5 sent to every store in his district to be opened & sold as used. Just to get them out of the watehouse. Said they were told to try to push them towards more hardcore gamers
Would that be against the rules for Gamestop to do? What I mean is, don't they have to give the publisher some money back on each new game sold? So if they convert all the new copies to used, they keep all of the profits?

If this were true, I can't blame publishers for pushing for a digital release only. That's really shady, but then again, it is GameStop.

There is no reprints of Nier. That's the bottom line. The Gamestop warehouse had thousands of them left over, sent them to the stores new, and were instructed to gut them and sell as preowned. This should be on the Gamestop New to Preowned thread.

There is no reprints of Nier. That's the bottom line. The Gamestop warehouse had thousands of them left over, sent them to the stores new, and were instructed to gut them and sell as preowned. This should be on the Gamestop New to Preowned thread.
:bs:

Why is it BS? Why would they reprint an obscure, mediocre game only to price it at a measly $20? Where is the profit in that? Makes no sense at all.
Why would they keep "thousands of copies" of an obscure game in a warehouse for several years for no reason? People tried to give this reasoning during the Xenoblade reprint, too. Every time a game gets reprinted and distributed to Gamestop some people think that they just have unlimited warehouse space where they keep thousands of copies of old games for years at a time.

Why would they keep "thousands of copies" of an obscure game in a warehouse for several years for no reason? People tried to give this reasoning during the Xenoblade reprint, too. Every time a game gets reprinted and distributed to Gamestop some people think that they just have unlimited warehouse space where they keep thousands of copies of old games for years at a time.
Well stuff do get lost in warehouse. Warehouses are big and you do lose track of inventory. Just like when amazon started selling brand new copies of Square Enix PS1 games awhile ago. You think they started to print great hits PS1 copies of Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross or they found excess inventory?

Well stuff do get lost in warehouse. Warehouses are big and you do lose track of inventory. Just like when amazon started selling brand new copies of Square Enix PS1 games awhile ago. You think they started to print great hits PS1 copies of Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross?
Yes, those PSX games were reprinted. The new prints of the Square Enix PSX games were silver bottomed discs. I don't know why people on here would rather spread conspiracy theories than accept the truth.

Yes, those PSX games were reprinted. The new prints of the Square Enix PSX games were silver bottomed discs. I don't know why people on here would rather spread conspiracy theories than accept the truth.
Okay I didn't know about that, but stuff do get lost in the warehouse though. That is why I think it was not a reprint but I don't think it really matter at all, if it is or isn't. I am just happy I got a chance to try Nier and see what all the fuss is about for a decent price.

This topic comes up A LOT. Hopefully, this can put some perspective to anyone that is on the fence -

How much can Gamestop stand to make by printing a thousand copies? Nier is not in very high demand. Meanwhile, Gamestop is a publicly traded company with a market cap (which, in short, means how much a company is worth) of nearly $5 billion. For some perspective, Best Buy is a $10 billion company.

So, if Gamestop, say, prints 2,000 copies, and sells every single one of them at $20 a pop, that is $40,000. And that is not including the cost of printing/promoting/whatever. With all that insight, do you really think GS is in a conspiracy to make $40,000? (Give or take)

I don't think so.

This topic comes up A LOT. Hopefully, this can put some perspective to anyone that is on the fence -

How much can Gamestop stand to make by printing a thousand copies? Nier is not in very high demand. Meanwhile, Gamestop is a publicly traded company with a market cap (which, in short, means how much a company is worth) of nearly $5 billion. For some perspective, Best Buy is a $10 billion company.

So, if Gamestop, say, prints 2,000 copies, and sells every single one of them at $20 a pop, that is $40,000. And that is not including the cost of printing/promoting/whatever. With all that insight, do you really think GS is in a conspiracy to make $40,000? (Give or take)

I don't think so.
Because someone on here says they heard from Gamestop employees there were a couple thousand in a warehouse suddenly that's factual? Nobody really knows how many copies there are. From store inventories one copy was sent to each retail store (at least in my area where they haven't been copies in months) with a huge stock available for purchase online. This is exactly what they did with the latest :wii: Dokopon Kingdom reprint a few months ago (and yes, those were reprints with disc only). One copy to each store, with a huge inventory available online seems to be the method to the madness.

Truth be told though, this whole debate is annoying as hell. Who cares where they came from? Gamestop has a bunch of like new complete copies of Nier that they are selling for $19.99 and the point of this thread is to let people know that who are interested in the game.

I don't think so.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/27/who-needs-good-old-games-gamestops-new-business-is-rare-physical-games/

Were those Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy reprints just found in warehouses too, despite the fact that they were different from the original print runs (different Xenoblade case and non-Steelbook Metroid Prime Trilogy?)

Last edited:
It is entirely possible they were misplaced in a warehouse. It is also rumored that GS is sitting on a ton of "retro stuff" in a warehouse (some of it was offered in the gamestop rewards catalog a year or two ago). I highly doubt they reprinted Neir. The game was already converted, so they gutted them and sold them as used. To my knowledge, these are not any different than any other neir release.

If we are going to make a game rare, may I suggest lair?

Gamestop CEO was checking under his bed for monsters one night and saw thousands of copies of Nier instead.

And that's where they came from.

It is entirely possible they were misplaced in a warehouse. It is also rumored that GS is sitting on a ton of "retro stuff" in a warehouse (some of it was offered in the gamestop rewards catalog a year or two ago). I highly doubt they reprinted Neir. The game was already converted, so they gutted them and sold them as used. To my knowledge, these are not any different than any other neir release.

If we are going to make a game rare, may I suggest lair?
This argument is nothing new. I remember back in 2005 GameQuestDirect claimed to have found "lost" warehouse copies of games like Rhapsody, Persona 2, etc. for the PSX and people bought up their stock only to find out they were actually reprints and the company lied to increase demand for the games. And those copies found their way into Gamestop stores, too. :nottalking:

Swung by my gamestop to pick one up and they had two used copies of nier. Both were complete and the cases and manuals looked brand new.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/27/who-needs-good-old-games-gamestops-new-business-is-rare-physical-games/

Were those Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy reprints just found in warehouses too, despite the fact that they were different from the original print runs (different Xenoblade case and non-Steelbook Metroid Prime Trilogy?)
From the article:

"The retailer will then either purchase the remaining stock of a particular title, or it will work with the publisher to reprint older games."

This is the only section of the article you linked that mentions anything of GS reprinting, It does not say which titles, let alone Xenoblade, Metroid, or this title. It simply says that it will either buy remaining stock (from customers or publishers) *or* reprint with the help of the publisher.

Nier came out in 2010. How in demand do you think this game really is? For a $5 billion company to go through all this trouble to reprint and sell, what - maybe 2,000 copies to make $20,000 - seems very far fetched.

Just my two bits / to each their own.

Gamestop has done the same thing recently with a disc only reprint of Dokapon Kingdom which is older (2007) and more obscure than Nier.

Gamestop has done the same thing recently with a disc only reprint of Dokapon Kingdom which is older (2007) and more obscure than Nier.
So, because GS did it with Dokapon Kingdom GS *must* do it with all other obscure/hard to come by games?

I can't follow that logic.

So, because GS did it with Dokapon Kingdom GS *must* do it with all other obscure/hard to come by games?

I can't follow that logic.
You said that it's unlikely that Gamestop did it with Nier because of its age and that it's obscure, yet they have done reprints with older/more obscure games in the same price range which shows that your original reasoning is not correct.

Last edited:
You said that it's unlikely that Gamestop did it with Nier because of its age and that it's obscure, yet they have done reprints with older/more obscure games in the same price range which shows that your original reasoning is not correct.
That was one of many points I made. My biggest point is how in demand is this game, how much does GS stand to make off of it as a $5 billion company?

My own answer to that question leads me to believe that GS did not reprint this game.

That was one of many points I made. My biggest point is how in demand is this game, how much does GS stand to make off of it as a $5 billion company?

My own answer to that question leads me to believe that GS did not reprint this game.
Ok, but why do they do reprints of other obscure games that are inexpensive?

I agree. There's no money to be made in reprinting a game with case, artwork, and manual, then selling that reprint for a measly $20. Makes no sense at all. And the game is fairly obscure/bizarre, and gets middling reviews at best. I checked out some YouTube vids of it, and the graphics were terrible. No way I could stomach that for very long.

I beat this game years ago and greatly enjoyed it. Found a mint copy sitting at my local GS and I got a sudden urge to replay it.

Game$top also recently did a Cave Story 3DS cartridge-only reprint. No case, no slip cover, no thick manual, $24.99 all day. For an artificially rare, ugly rendering of a great game. I wouldn't put anything past them. 

Picked up the only copy at mine.

This "pre-owned" copy is definitely new, whether it's a reprint or the warehouse conspiracy. It's 100% mint, and there's no sticker or sticker residue other than the Pre-Owened sticker on it.

I had been watching awhile for this game, and it never turned up at my GS until now, so something's definitely up.

I liked this game so much I bought a PS3 copy a few months back to supplement my 360 copy. I also recommend it to everybody.

Square shot Cavvy in the foot by releasing Nier the same day as FFXIII,  with next to no hype at all. Added bonus that the game graphically looks dated (I think the art style is great, but it is certainly no technical powerhouse).

Probably one of my favorite gaming stories. Has a clever bait-and-switch and meta-level rug pulling at the end, which is super clever. Plus the music is phenomenal.

If you like action games or JRPGs, you could do a lot worse than Nier. Probably my favorite game from the last generation, or at least the one that's stayed with me the longest. 

If you're looking for overly dramatic music to make you feel like you're majestically running through a field this is the game for you.

Went to mine to pick one up, they only had a 'disc only' used copy for $19.99.   I asked about a restock or reprint and she said 'Nope. Nothing in the computer.'

bread's done
Back