Nier PS3 (reprint) -$19.99 - Gamestop

JohnnySucco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Looks like Gamestop has reprinted :ps3: Nier and is selling it for $19.99.  There are over 10 copies available online and it has shown up at every local store within 100 miles of me.   I stopped in a store and can confirm that they are complete copies with manuals/artwork.  Using the Kongregate coupons or the B2G1 coupons it's not a bad deal considering used complete copies sell for around $40.  

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/nier/75034

I liked this game so much I bought a PS3 copy a few months back to supplement my 360 copy. I also recommend it to everybody.

Square shot Cavvy in the foot by releasing Nier the same day as FFXIII, with next to no hype at all. Added bonus that the game graphically looks dated (I think the art style is great, but it is certainly no technical powerhouse).

Probably one of my favorite gaming stories. Has a clever bait-and-switch and meta-level rug pulling at the end, which is super clever. Plus the music is phenomenal.

If you like action games or JRPGs, you could do a lot worse than Nier. Probably my favorite game from the last generation, or at least the one that's stayed with me the longest.
Thanks for this! Nice to see someone actually talking about the game and not arguing over stupid shit like whether or not something really got reprinted. I have a sealed Xbox 360 copy sitting on my shelf that I was tempted to sell, but I think I will pop it in to the console soon instead.

Thanks for this! Nice to see someone actually talking about the game and not arguing over stupid shit like whether or not something really got reprinted. I have a sealed Xbox 360 copy sitting on my shelf that I was tempted to sell, but I think I will pop it in to the console soon instead.
You won't regret it.

Maybe someday I should give this game another try.  I think I played an hour or two of it, didn't really enjoy it, and it went back on the shelf.

Sell it and buy the open copy at Gamestop.

so that makes neir worth the money ????? i dont understand
When a new game in a series comes out and there is a lot of hype, most of the other games become desirable because people want to play them. NEIR was a niche game and it was relatively difficult to find on the secondary market.

This argument is nothing new. I remember back in 2005 GameQuestDirect claimed to have found "lost" warehouse copies of games like Rhapsody, Persona 2, etc. for the PSX and people bought up their stock only to find out they were actually reprints and the company lied to increase demand for the games. And those copies found their way into Gamestop stores, too. :nottalking:
Yep, reprinting is nothing new. They've done this with at least a handful of other games. Off the top of my head, Rez (PS2) and Gitaroo Man (PS2) were a couple prominent titles GQD did this with back in the day. I think they eventually admitted to reprinting them.

I'm sure they're not alone, there's a fair chance publishers themselves are getting into the game, especially given the exorbitant prices new copies of some of these older, classic/under-the-radar/cult-hit games command. Some of the Greatest Hits PSX Final Fantasy games, for instance, have versions with either "Squaresoft" or "Square Enix" printed on the front covers (pre/post-merger print runs).

Speculation, but I think Yakuza (PS2) had at least a couple print runs. My release copy came in the typical old-style Amaray case, while a friend's copy purchased a couple years later came in the new-style flimsier case lacking a memory card slot and with "PlayStation 2" branding above the disc holder.

With Nier, I could see it going either way. $19.99 doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort compared to the prices Xenoblade or Metroid Prime Trilogy are/were selling at, but some of the old GQD reprints were going for about the same price at one point (~$25 IIRC) so who knows. We simply don't know the cost involved, whether or not companies have some sort of licensing deal or are just handling manufacturing or logistics for the publisher, or really anything specific about the situation.

On the other hand, it's certainly possible they found a couple pallets in a less-traveled warehouse somewhere. Stranger things have happened.

All that aside, I gotta go with "who cares?" I am a big proponent of the old argument that games are meant to be played. I don't agree with Gamestop's pricing or their practice of selling these games pre-owned rather than sealed, but if they're getting these games in the hands of gamers cheaper than through eBay, more power to them.

Would I be annoyed if I were sitting on copies of previously rare games with tanking values? Sure, but that's a minority compared to people who are actually interested in playing some of these titles, and anyway that's an inevitable side effect of buying games with the goal of reselling.

Last edited by a moderator:
so is this something to hold on to or could i still get a decent amount for it would been cool to know about it when copies where going for those high prices back in july

Went to GS for this and the girl told me that "all the stores received this disc only". I didn't buy it bc of generic case.
Check back in a couple days maybe. That was the case at all the Gamestops around here over the weekend, but this morning I checked back and they had a copy that literally looks like they took off the shrink wrap and slapped a "pre-owned" sticker on the back.

Yup. It's a long platinum, though. Numerous playthroughs and a lot of grinding for materials.
If you want to get the complete story, you also NEED to complete all 4 endings. Ending D, the final ending, requires upgrading all weapons to maximum....which, like was said, is a huge chore.

But worth it, if you find yourself at all invested in the story.

Check back in a couple days maybe. That was the case at all the Gamestops around here over the weekend, but this morning I checked back and they had a copy that literally looks like they took off the shrink wrap and slapped a "pre-owned" sticker on the back.
Yea, keep checking. Mine was new, too.

If you want to get the complete story, you also NEED to complete all 4 endings. Ending D, the final ending, requires upgrading all weapons to maximum....which, like was said, is a huge chore.

But worth it, if you find yourself at all invested in the story.
It doesn't. There's an achievement/trophy that requires upgrading them all, but getting endings C and D just require that you GET every weapon. And that's not too tough.

Ending A: Beat it

Ending B: Beat New Game +

Ending C: Get every weapon, make one choice at the end

Ending D: Get every weapon, make the other choice

It doesn't. There's an achievement/trophy that requires upgrading them all, but getting endings C and D just require that you GET every weapon. And that's not too tough.

I'm interested in getting all of the endings. I heard that on New Game+ the game actually starts you half way through. Does that mean on my first playthrough I need to do all of the side quests in the first half if I want to get all the achievements as well?

I'm interested in getting all of the endings. I heard that on New Game+ the game actually starts you half way through. Does that mean on my first playthrough I need to do all of the side quests in the first half if I want to get all the achievements as well?
You're right that New Game + starts you halfway through, and you're right that there are sidequests specific to the first half that will be locked out. However, there is no achievement for doing all of the sidequests. So, if you miss a few (and I did), you're okay. The sidequests are absolutely the weakest part of the game, and you're okay skipping them. I would just take all of the quests I came across and complete them when I was next in the area.

Hmm...I do know for certain that you can't get the "Upgrade all weapons" Trophy after completing Ending D. For some reason I thought you needed to get everything upgraded THEN the final weapon becomes available, so they go hand in hand.

Hmm...I do know for certain that you can't get the "Upgrade all weapons" Trophy after completing Ending D. For some reason I thought you needed to get everything upgraded THEN the final weapon becomes available, so they go hand in hand.
I got all the endings, and absolutely didn't upgrade all of the weapons.

You know they originally planned on a fifth ending, that would've involved you doing it all again? And so help me, I would've.

I got all the endings, and absolutely didn't upgrade all of the weapons.

You know they originally planned on a fifth ending, that would've involved you doing it all again? And so help me, I would've.
Then yeah, must just be the trophy then.

I've been holding off doing Ending D, the last one I have left, because if I'm gonna finish the game I'm going to get the damn Platinum trophy lol. Would be a waste to just rush through to Ending D and then have to start over from scratch, so the game sits in the backlog for now....

I even gave it a proper go, grinding those mats, but just lost all interest farming for Black Pearls in the coast town.

Also I highly recommend to anyone the DLC after you've played through at least through Ending B. Great fun challenge mode, with remixed music AND greatly improved drop-rates for quite a few (but not all) of the rare materials.

I've had a disc only version of this that was scratched to hell for a while so this is quite pleasing to me. This weeks powerup steal being a $10 off coupon for only 6k points works nicely too.

I've been wanting to play this game for a long time, but couldn't find a decently priced copy.

Snagged it as soon as I heard the deal. Mine was definitely NOT a reprint (had another retailer's sticker),
but still in mint condition.

The first few hours, I admittedly thought it was a waste of money. The game has its way of drawing you in, however.

I can see why people hold this game dear, even with all its technical shortcomings and under-development.

A diamond-in-the-rough. Must play for $20.

I've been wanting to play this game for a long time, but couldn't find a decently priced copy.
Snagged it as soon as I heard the deal. Mine was definitely NOT a reprint (had another retailer's sticker),
but still in mint condition.
The first few hours, I admittedly thought it was a waste of money. The game has its way of drawing you in, however.
I can see why people hold this game dear, even with all its technical shortcomings and under-development.

A diamond-in-the-rough. Must play for $20.
How can you tell its a reprint?

Then yeah, must just be the trophy then.

I've been holding off doing Ending D, the last one I have left, because if I'm gonna finish the game I'm going to get the damn Platinum trophy lol. Would be a waste to just rush through to Ending D and then have to start over from scratch, so the game sits in the backlog for now....

I even gave it a proper go, grinding those mats, but just lost all interest farming for Black Pearls in the coast town.

Also I highly recommend to anyone the DLC after you've played through at least through Ending B. Great fun challenge mode, with remixed music AND greatly improved drop-rates for quite a few (but not all) of the rare materials.
Copy your save to an external device. :)

I ordered 3 from GS.com using the B2G1 code I had a billion of from last week and I got 3 absolutely mint and complete copies of the game. Looks brand new w/o the shrink wrap. Not gonna speculate but take it for what it's worth.

I would have ordered more copies to just get rid of those damn codes but I didn't want them flagging my account for buying so much shit :/

Easy way to cash out of GS credit later on this month with the new B2G1 codes if anyone was interested.

I ordered 3 from GS.com using the B2G1 code I had a billion of from last week and I got 3 absolutely mint and complete copies of the game. Looks brand new w/o the shrink wrap. Not gonna speculate but take it for what it's worth.

I would have ordered more copies to just get rid of those damn codes but I didn't want them flagging my account for buying so much shit :/

Easy way to cash out of GS credit later on this month with the new B2G1 codes if anyone was interested.
What b2g1 coupon?

FYI: There was a sticker under one of the preowned sticker that didn't seem like a gamestop sticker. It left a lot of residue and didn't come off cleanly.

Other than that, it seems like a brand new copy.

Gamestop doesn't, and can't, reprint games. But they do go to the publishers (or 3rd party companies like GQD that deal with publishers themselves) and say - "hey, we can both make some money if you reprint a bunch of copies of this game." 

Not that NIER is necessarily a reprint, though the fact remains that a ton of near-mint copies have appeared suddenly.

Seems like they did this with tales of the abyss on ps2 a couple years ago.

Pretty great if you wanted the game but you were only able to get it in crap condition w/out paying a premium.

Well guys, it's not a Game$top find, but when I was picking up an online order from Best Buy today, I had the urge to browse the racks, look at pre-owned, 'value', etc. Boy am I glad I did. I found FIVE NEW SEALED copies of Nier :360: complete with shrinkwrap and Microsoft seal sticker, unmarked. I picked it up and thought I'd get it price checked, figuring it would be $19.99 like most of the games around it. I went to check the PS3 section and see if they had any copies, but I found none, unfortunately - I wanted it for PS3. 

Went to the desk, asked her to scan, rang up a whopping $9.99. With GCU, I paid $7.99. 

Anyway, I left four sealed copies. If anyone wants one or would like to trade me a :ps3: copy for a :360: copy, PM me and we can try and work something out.

Good luck, hope this isn't YMMV even though it most likely is.

fuck Game$top, but this does tip the scale in my mind towards "random storage shipping out forgotten units" vs "Game$top re-print".
The reprint is for the more valuable PS3 version. The 360 units might have been unsold stock from your local Best Buy specifically.

bread's done
Back